SubWoofer in cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a cabinet built and I am planning on putting the subwoofer into the cabinet. Is there anything that i need to know or any gotchas I should be concerned about? I am planning on getting a front throw subwoofer like the Paradigm PDR-10. What do I need to consider here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 01:53 AM

Hi WeeJaveDude

Ideally, you can cover your sub woofer, but nothing should touch the cabinet and the actual sub really should still be touching your floor. Realistically, placing a sub 'inside, a cabinet is going to cause unwanted vibration and/or bad frequency reproduction.

Also, what kind of floor do you have (concrete, carpet-on-concrete, wooden etc)

I understand that you may want to place the sub inside a cabinet for ‘hiding’ reason but you need to exercise caution as you may give the sub a terrible sound........

Regards,
Brad Porter
post #3 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My floor is tile with a big shag carpet covering the floor. I plan on putting the unit on isolations pads and placing it directly on the tile. I should have about 4 to 6" on each side of the unit and plenty of space in behind the unit. I will only have a couple of inches of space above the unit.

I am trying to excercise caution. That is why I asked the group. :)
post #4 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

When you say cabinet, do you mean as in entertainment center, or a small matching cabinet that will just contain the subwoofer, for looks?

I tried placing a small subwoofer on the bottom shelf of an entertainment center. Not a shelf that was removable, but the floor (for lack of a better term) of the entertainment center. It did not work, the entertainment center resonated, and the sound was truly ugly. I ended up placing the subwoofer under an end table.

Lest we forget 9/11/01
My System
Paul
post #5 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am talking about a home entertainment center and it will be sitting on the floor (Tile). Did you have isolation pads for the sub you tried to place on yours? Mine is a built in home entertainment center. I am having it built right now so I want to make sure I do it right. I figure with isolation pads and not attaching it to the cabinet I should get a get good performance. But then again I dont have a lot of experience in this area, that is why I was asking the group.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the sub be entirely enclosed? If you stick a sub in an enclosed cabinet, you are basically increasing the size of the sub box. This is pretty much guaranteed to sound horrible.

Kevin
post #7 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Kevin.. Well there will be an opening in the front that will be covered with speaker cloth. And I plan on using a front throw sub. The PDR-10 I was looking at throws both to the front and rear. The Paradigm tech suggested that if it gets to boomy to plug the rear output. So yes it will have and open in the front that is covered with Speaker cloth..
post #8 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet so I can't tell you how it sounds, but I am doing something similar. I'm also adding insulation around it to reduce resonance (though there's still a bit of breathing room). I also have a front-firing sub but it has no rear port like the pdr-10.

Ron
post #9 of 14 Old 01-21-2003, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ron...

When do you think you will have it done? I would be interested to here your thoughts... I do have a backup plan if this does not workout but I hope it does since it will provide some extra protection from my toddler.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

If you are going to do it anyways, get something like an Adire Rava. More capable and sealed (no rear port that will not work well at all in a cabinet). The other concern will be air flow as most of these subs have plateamps on the back that need adequate ventilation or they will over heat and shut down or damage themselves.

Again I'll recommend against this. Subs are very senstive to room placement. Now if you knew the sub would work well if placed where it would be in the entertainment center but without the entertainment center there, then if you actually built the sub as part of the entertainment center (ie DIY) it might work ok.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-22-2003, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Since the Sub will be under the components I am going to place the inlet Fan there so it will draw air into the cabinet and keep that part of the cabinet cool. I do have a plan if this does not work and that is to just move it to the other part of the room.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
WeeJavaDude,

Unfortunately, It'll probably be a couple of weeks yet. I'm having cabinetry built and the fireplace redone.

Dustin B,

I've noticed that my sub is always cool. Of course, it's never been fully enclosed before and I don't run it that loud.

Ron
post #13 of 14 Old 01-24-2003, 06:07 AM

I have a front firing B&W CDM sub in the built-in cabinet that houses my equipment and it works just fine. Definetely go with a SEALED, front-firing subwoofer, though. The cabinet will resonate if your sub radiates energy in any other direction besides out the front. Granted, my cabinet is a rock-solid built-in over 30 years old, so that helps. I was advised that if I do experience cabinet vibrations, that I should try some large sorbothane feet under the sub (like the AudioQuest Big Feet), but I have not needed them.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-24-2003, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I know that though it will be in my cabinet it will not be touching the cabinet in any way and should have 6" on the sides and a minimum of 2" on top. I think it will even have more. It will also have about 6" in the rear.

I will keep in mind the big feet. I was planning on getting isolation pads for the unit, but maybe I should old off and wait till there is a problem before trying to fix it.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page