Infinity Kappa 8 Replacements? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2015, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Infinity Kappa 8 Replacements?

I've had the Kappa 8s for front, Kappa 5s for rear, and Kappa center in a 5.1 setup, and have always loved the big full Kappa sound. The drivers started to self-destruct some time ago. Since, I have been using a Definitive Mythos soundbar, but it just isn't working for me. The goal is to get a compliment of speakers (fronts, center, surrounds) within a $3k usd budget.

Primary uses will be for Home Theater and synthesizer based music. I produce synthesizer music and want to have a good system to demo my mixes as I work on them. I've always loved how the Kappas sound with this type of music.

Equipment to drive the speakers will include a ATI-2505 (250 x 5) amplifier and either a Marantz pre-amp or Anthem receiver used as a pre-amp. The family room is pretty small (14' x 16') with the back wall open to the kitchen. Rear speakers will be mounted high on side walls behind the listening position, this is the only way they can be placed. Will use heavy-duty brackets and should be able to accommodate up to about 14" tall.

I have had some good listening time with a Golden Ear surround system with the Triton 7s and an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. The Triton 7 highs and midrange sound really good to my ears, but there is something lacking in the mid-bass (just above subwoofer cross-over), especially when pushed a little. Maybe the Triton 5s would be a bit better.

Another set of speakers that have my interest are the Aperian Verus Grand Towers, although I have not heard them yet.

Any recommendations for other speakers in the price-range that will be Kappa-like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Without spending major coin, you will not beat the "Kappa sound".. Plenty of replacement drivers and foam surround kits. The polydomes have many repair/replacement options as well.

I say this because I just came full circle trying to find replacements for mine as well. I did tried Polk, B&O, Paradigm, and a few others, and just wasn't happy. I just spent 400.00 redoing everything on my 8's and 7's and I couldn't be happier.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kappa 8 were is my first HT system; they were powered by a Krell KSA 150. They would be alright for a very large HT set-up, in a large room. Be careful though, the ATI is quite powerful, I use one now, although a single stereo amplifier, which will handle 1 ohm impedance would be recommended. I would hate to see the ATI blown under a heavy load these speakers may require.
Even the B&W 803s are much more comparable with the ATI amplifier.
If you are looking at other speakers, those mentioned, Aperian Verus Grand Towers, would be a safer bet.

Little Denon system, Denon 2808ci
Polk M40, front and surround, CS2 center.Yamaha subwoofer
Sony 222 es SACD/CD player
Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Sony dual DVD and VCR player.
LG 46" HDTV.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Legit, what all did you do to your 8's? Where did you get parts. $400 sounds lIke a good deal tof rextort them. . I have 9's. The woofer surrounds are shot and I am concerned other drivers will follow soon.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaxman View Post
Legit, what all did you do to your 8's? Where did you get parts. $400 sounds lIke a good deal tof rextort them. . I have 9's. The woofer surrounds are shot and I am concerned other drivers will follow soon.
I looked into it a couple of years ago for my crescendo's. The consensus was that they weren't too bad to repair yourself and at the time Orange County Speaker had kits for them...and for that matter they will also refoam them if you don't want to do it yourself.
http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Also, it turns out that Watkins will also repair the drivers too along with checking out the performance. If I remember right, all versions of the kappa used Watkins drivers.
http://www.watkinsstereo.com/
Old 12-28-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You should contact Bill LeGall at Millersound. Bill is one of the best speaker repair guys in the country, and it helps that he's an Infinity fan and expert too. Bill can refoam the woofers, and even rebuild the Kappa Polydome mids as well. While the original diaphragm's are no longer available, Bill uses Infinity sourced replacement domes, that are reported to match closely in sound quality, to the stock Kappa speaker. Plus, Bill's prices are very reasonable! Contact Bill, pull the drivers, send them in, and get those Kappa 8's up and playing again.

http://www.millersound.net/contact.htm

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpyWan View Post
You should contact Bill LeGall at Millersound. Bill is one of the best speaker repair guys in the country, and it helps that he's an Infinity fan and expert too. Bill can refoam the woofers, and even rebuild the Kappa Polydome mids as well. While the original diaphragm's are no longer available, Bill uses Infinity sourced replacement domes, that are reported to match closely in sound quality, to the stock Kappa speaker. Plus, Bill's prices are very reasonable! Contact Bill, pull the drivers, send them in, and get those Kappa 8's up and playing again.

http://www.millersound.net/contact.htm

Good luck!
Millersound like mentioned above. I've tried 4 different polydome replacements and Millersounds are the closest to the original. Stay far away from Magicmarksy on ebay...
I was lucky to find some A+ original polydomes and use those as the "benchmark".
I recapped the crossovers (made no difference in sound) and re-did the grill cloth.
My surrounds are in great shape. Try and refoam without ruining the inverted dustcap, I was told it does make a difference on the woofer.
Mine are 8.1 and 7.1's, your original 9's may need more work than mine did due to age. I would spend as much as it took to keep mine running, the frustration of finding better sounding speakers and the price tags, was starting to drive me insane.. hahaha!

Here's a pic of Millersounds rebuilt polydomes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	millersound1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1186618   Click image for larger version

Name:	millersound.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1186626  

Last edited by Legit; 01-15-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links