AVS Forum banner

Looking for a little advice on a set up

1K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  dsrussell 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for a little advice a $1000 5.1 or maybe 3.1 if better Sub

Good day everyone. I just found your site yesterday and stayed up until 130 in the morning reading post, about 7 hours in total lol. So I am looking to upgrade my Home Theater system, I am no Audiophile and I pretty much just watch movies and very rarely have the radio on....
Here is what I currently have.

Around 2004 I picked up a Onkyo HTIB . The receiver is the Onkyo HT-R510... It's a 6.1 system with the following specs:

6-channel amplifier, 100 watts per channel min. RMS at 8Ω, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion

My room that I have everything in right now is 14 1/2 feet to the back on the couch or 23 feet to the back half wall that opens into the kitchen. If I can figure it out I will attach pictures as well. It is 11 1/2 feet wide and 7 feet and 11 inches high. The left wall is bare and the right has a window and a stone work gas fire place and a patio glass door behind that. From the couch forward it is carpeted and behind the couch is ceramic tile.

For a receiver I was looking at a refurbished Denon AVR-S910w or a Onkyo TX-NR646.

Speakers I would like to get for $1000 or less for the 5.1 set. So far I have looked at the Pioneer SP-PK52FS which is way under budget as well as the HTD level 2 speaker set which comes closer to my Max budget. I also well keep an eye out on Black Friday to see if I could maybe get some great deals on the JBL Studio 270, 225c, 210 and Sub 250P. I also have a guy locally who has a set of the JBL L830 studio series bookshelf for sale for $180 he says they have been hardly used and I can come hear them but I am unsure what to listen for if I am testing them to make sure nothing is wrong and if I did get these would I need to match them with the same level of speakers from JBL or could I just get the same Center and get what ever for the surround a base?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and anyone have an idea what would be a fair asking price for my old Onkyo HTIB set?

Have a great day

Don

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Good day everyone. I just found your site yesterday and stayed up until 130 in the morning reading post, about 7 hours in total lol. So I am looking to upgrade my Home Theater system, I am no Audiophile and I pretty much just watch movies and very rarely have the radio on....
Here is what I currently have.

Around 2004 I picked up a Onkyo HTIB . The receiver is the Onkyo HT-R510... It's a 6.1 system with the following specs:

6-channel amplifier, 100 watts per channel min. RMS at 8Ω, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion

My room that I have everything in right now is 14 1/2 feet to the back on the couch or 23 feet to the back half wall that opens into the kitchen. If I can figure it out I will attach pictures as well. It is 11 1/2 feet wide and 7 feet and 11 inches high. The left wall is bare and the right has a window and a stone work gas fire place and a patio glass door behind that. From the couch forward it is carpeted and behind the couch is ceramic tile.

For a receiver I was looking at a refurbished Denon AVR-S910w or a Onkyo TX-NR646.

Speakers I would like to get for $1000 or less for the 5.1 set. So far I have looked at the Pioneer SP-PK52FS which is way under budget as well as the HTD level 2 speaker set which comes closer to my Max budget. I also well keep an eye out on Black Friday to see if I could maybe get some great deals on the JBL Studio 270, 225c, 210 and Sub 250P. I also have a guy locally who has a set of the JBL L830 studio series bookshelf for sale for $180 he says they have been hardly used and I can come hear them but I am unsure what to listen for if I am testing them to make sure nothing is wrong and if I did get these would I need to match them with the same level of speakers from JBL or could I just get the same Center and get what ever for the surround a base?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and anyone have an idea what would be a fair asking price for my old Onkyo HTIB set?

Have a great day

Don
Not sure about the back surrounds if I'm seeing them right. But looks like you're running a side channel on the right and a rear channel to the left behind the couch (Looking toward the TV).

#8 ·
Not sure what you mean but if you just mean the location I had no choice as I have no where else to put them, they are set up as back left and back right through the Receiver but I had to put one of to the side and one right next to the couch=/

#10 ·
You have a lot of good options here though, I might consider going with 3.1 for now and using your old surrounds for a little while. Surrounds don't need to match and since they have play about 10% of the content, don't need to be anything special.

I would budget $500 for a sub, this is the point where you start getting into good bass, and being that you are 100% movies, this is a crucial part of your system. The PB-1000 and RBH I-12 are some great choices here, there is also the Rythmik LV12R at $570.

I would take a look at the RBH Impression series. They offer excellent value, and give you a nice laid back sound with a strong mid-range. The bass is on the light side, but you will have a sub so the low end is taken care of.

They will be having a black Friday sale starting this Thursday/Friday, and always have some fantastic deals. You could get 2 pairs of the R5Bi bookshelves, the R5Ci center, and an I-12 sub all for under $1000.

SVS, Ascend, HSU, and Chane are all good choices here.

Reactions: darthray
#11 ·
If I went with a 3.1 do you think the used JBL L830 studio series bookshelfs would be a good idea and then just buy a matching center for that and a new Sub? I am a little leery that the guy is selling them so cheap but maybe I can get him to meet me at a used stereo shop and pay them a bit to check them out.

Thank you for your feed back.

#18 ·
I was also reading through the new Elac Debut thread. I like the idea that the sub has an App to set it up as I would have no clue. I noticed the receivers I am looking at all have mics for setting the sound, would they do the same as the Elac App? For $100 less I could get the PB-1000. There are to many Name brands to look at...

Anyone know if certain brands are better at Movies vs Music?

#23 ·
I'd strongly consider 3 Chane A1rx-c speakers, an SVS PB-1000 subwoofer and a pair of Dayton Audio B652 AIR speakers for surrounds. Fits your budget and would sound great.

Reactions: jumuo
#28 ·
The issue with your Onkyo HTIB is that the original speakers are about garbage and the receiver is completely obsolete. It has no HDMI capability nor does it have preamp out. The only way to use that sixth channel is a synthesized surround sound mode or one of the rare 6 channel matrix digital formats and that means for the purposes of a stand-alone amp that sixth channel is inaccessible.

Some newer components have only HDMI out and cannot work with that receiver at all. Basically by today's standards that receiver is now a 5 channel analog integrated amp with a useless preamp front end on it where you set and forget the main volume.

If you get anything for it from someone who understands AVR I would be surprised. Ask whatever and take what you can get. At 12 years old it is about ready to break anyway. The days of classic vintage electronics in attractive cabinets that still function decades later are long gone.

Regarding the speakers, SVS has a great reputation and you can try them out in your home risk-free as long as you do not damage them and return them within the trial period. Your space is a little large for the subwoofer so the suggestion to change it for a larger ported sub is excellent. I have two of the SVS PB10 that is the precursor to the PB1000 and can attest to the goodness of SVS plus their prime and ultra lines review well.

I suggest trying out the used speakers in your home too if you can arrange it with the seller, so you can do a direct comparison in your listening space against the SVS. Mono comparison is the most revealing of differences between speakers and the easiest to control for placement too. Comparing center speaker to center speaker should be your acid test.

The most important speaker is the center speaker. Concentrate on that. 2-way horizontal WTW center is about the worst possible option. If horizontal it should be 3-way to ensure that the combing and lobing interference between woofers is controlled. All drivers need to be within about 1/4 wavelength of each other so that they mutually couple and that is much easier to do when the speaker is 3-way.

Timbre match may not be essential across the entire sound stage but my experience has been that identical speakers give a more seamless sound stage and more convincing sense of immersion. Similar speakers from within the same line are also a good option, provided the center speaker is competent.

I would shy away from any deal where you plan on buying the upgraded center speaker used separately at a later date. You might not find what you want and the inability to audition means you really have no idea what the final sound will be like until after you are done. It really is essential to try speakers before buying and they should audition in the room they will live in.

#31 ·
Ok so I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. They would all save me enough money to buy a better sub. All of these will go with either a PB1000, the Outlaw or the I-12. I just need to research those a bit more to see what is best for movies or the Rythmik .

3 x CHANE A2RX-C
3 x R5Bi
5 X HVL-1 Two-Way Loudspeaker (cheaper so I could get 5)
Or a member on here has the Polk Audio RTI-A7 floor set and CSI-A4 center for around the same price as the R5BI's. Used but in mint condition with 1 year left in the warranty.

So what are the AVSers thoughts?

Thank you

#33 ·
Is this mainly for music or mainly movies? How loud do you listen to music/movies? I’m also curious why you chose the A2rx-c over the A1rx-c. Is it because of sensitivity? Note that the R5Bi’s are $200/pair during their black Friday sales. Using 5 identical speakers is a good idea if you have a lot of 5.1 concert videos. If not, I’d go for less expensive surrounds.

As far as which brand? I cannot say. I have not auditioned the Chane or the Wave Crest. I do like the R5Bi’s over the ELAC B5s and Hsu HB-1s (heard the B5s at an audio show and auditioned the HB-1 at Hsu), but not by much. Just because I may like one speaker over another, it doesn’t mean you will. As always, the final decision rests with the buyer.

#34 ·
Great deals on the JBL Studio 270, 225c, 210 and Sub 250P.

Get the above today while the 270's are half off and the 250P is discounted. get the 220's for surrounds instead of the 210's because they are half off today as well:)
You will love the Studio 2 line, crystal clear and a sound stage that is wide, detailed, and enveloping.

#47 ·
Nice review. I like Jim Wilson’s reviews. I’m sure the Chanes are a very nice speaker. I just haven’t heard them, so cannot comment on a personal level. However, at $298 / pair plus shipping, one has to consider what the Chanes really have to offer over the RBH/EMP Tek. The main reason I haven’t auditioned them are their steep two-way shipping costs.

#55 ·
Thank you everyone for all of the suggestion. I decided to save some money for now on the speakers and spend it on a sub. I can alway upgrade the speakers later.

I went with the Primus P363's for the fronts with the PC350 for the center.
Rears will be my old onkyo HTIB for now
For the sub I went with the outlaw x12
Receiver Denon X1200w.

My only real concern is the sub. The room is fairly large and with that half wall it goes back 50 feet or so and also tge kitchen is open to a huge living room and combined dinning room with cathedral ceilings...... Not sure if any sub could fill this room.

#56 ·
Congratulations. Let us know how the Infinities perform (they seem like a very good speaker at an amazing price).

As you mentioned, there aren't a lot of subs that can fill that volume properly. But the Outlaw Ultra X12 is a great subwoofer for their sale price. You'll know you have a subwoofer, even in that large of a room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.