AVS Forum banner

Wavecrest vs EMPTek vs Chane vs JBL : Need to make a final decision

2K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  SabreWuLF_ 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I am about to make my final decision on buying HT system for my dedicated media room ( 15 X 11 ft), which I will be primarily using to watch movies through Projector.
Zorba from AVS has given me some excellent information and helped me understanding ABC of speakers. He is an exceptional help! Based of my conversation with Zorba, I have final narrowed down to the following config. I wanted to know which one of these would you prefer and why :
Option 1 : Front {Right, Left and Front} : 3 x Wavecrest HVL-1 , Sub-Woofer : 1 x Hsu VTF-2, Surround Sound : YAMAHA NS-IW360C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers Pair
Option 2 : Front {Right, Left and Front}: 2 x Ascend CBM-170SE L/R and 1 X CMT-340SE center, Sub-Woofer : 1 x Hsu VTF-2, Surround Sound : YAMAHA NS-IW360C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers Pair
Option 3 : Front {Right, Left and Front}: 3 x Chane A2-rxc, Sub-Woofer : 1 x Hsu VTF-2, Surround Sound : YAMAHA NS-IW360C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers Pair
Option 4 : Front {Right, Left and Front}: 3 x JBL Studio 230, Sub-Woofer : 1 x Hsu VTF-2, Surround Sound : YAMAHA NS-IW360C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers Pair
Option 5: Front {Right, Left and Front}: 3 x EMPTek R5Bi, Sub-Woofer : 1 x Hsu VTF-2, Surround Sound : YAMAHA NS-IW360C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers Pair

Also, what is your opinion on Wavecrest HVL-1 for Home Theater (dedicated media room)? How would you compare the sound quality against Chane, SVS, Ascend, JBL bookshelf speakers. I was leaning towards Wavecrest because they seem to be a good combination with HSU Sub. At the same time, I am still want to make sure that I am putting the right speaker system for that ultimate movie experience. Most of my movie watching is action and horror. Thanks again for all your help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My opinion of these speakers is not going to be the same as yours, we all hear differently. I would cross off the Studio 230, I don't think they are in the same category sound-wise, the studio 5XX series is more comparable.

If I had to pick, I would bite the bullet and go with a front sound stage of CMT-340. Pair them with a Rythmik LV12R and you get a discount for buying together. Ascend offers a great neutral sound, and those speakers have a good sensitivity and will give you a clear, dynamic sound for movies and music.

I think it would be a very good idea though to narrow the list down to two, and then decide which is best in your own home. I think the Chane and Ascend would be a good comparison, as the Wavecrest are going to be very similar to the Ascend.

#6 ·
Thanks for the response.

- What do you think of HSU VTF-2 vs Rythmik LV12R Sub-Woofer?

- In terms of neutrality and accuracy, do you see a significant difference between Ascend (CBM-170SE) and Wavecrest? 3 x Wavecrest can be procured for $300 while (2X CBM -170 SE + 1 CBM-340SE) will cost $600+(twice the amount). If you coupled these with an HSU Sub-woofer (VTF-2), I am not sure if the difference in HT experience will be significant.

Thanks again!

#3 ·
Of the options you listed, I have heard the HVL-1's, and owned the non "SE" 170's. The HVL-1's would be a great choice based on my experience, but if you can do CBM-170's they will be a bump in performance, though the two have different sonic characteristics. The HVL-1's will not be as detailed but may offer a more musical sound. The 170's were designed for maximum neutrality and accuracy. The HVL-1's are front ported so placement is more flexible.

#4 ·
You hav EMP in your subject line, but not in the text. I have heard EMP side by side with Ascend Acoustic (my e5Ti vs the CMT340) and they are pretty even. Advantage AA for bass, both have good high end and the EMP has better midrange.

#7 ·
- What do you think of HSU VTF-2 vs Rythmik LV12R Sub-Woofer?

- In terms of neutrality and accuracy, do you see a significant difference between Ascend (CBM-170SE) and Wavecrest? 3 x Wavecrest can be procured for $300 while (2X CBM -170 SE + 1 CBM-340SE) will cost $600+(twice the amount). If you coupled these with an HSU Sub-woofer (VTF-2), I am not sure if the difference in HT experience will be significant.

#8 ·
I'd buy a pair of what you think you'll want before you commit to the whole system. My personal preference would be the Chanes or Ascends. I prefer the Chanes over the Ascends, but they're both great. So are the others you listed, though. It's really a matter of personal preference on the sound.

#9 ·
I agree Jumuo but it is very hard to say what you prefer until you try them out. And it gets time consuming and expensive to buy and return to test these out. Most of you guys are experts and most definitley have the expertise to recommend one or the other depending on certain criteria. For instance Zorba on this forum is the one who introduced me to all these brands. And I am so glad to get in touch with him because all I knew about speakers were those unaffordable BOSE systems. Unfortunately, he doesn't or has not owned Wavecrest or Chanes so I just wanted to get 2nd feedback from the people who have actually owned or listened to these speakers.

#10 ·
I'm making a similar decision. My only difference is that I want towers for front main L/R. I'm leaning towards the Chane A3rx-c's.

I'd be interested in seeing what else comes up in this thread.

#16 ·
Ascend CBM-170 SEs are simply just better speakers than the WaveCrest. Both speakers were designed by the same person, David Fabrikant. David confirmed that the 170 SEs use better parts than the Wavecrest, which reflect the higher cost. If your budget is of no concerned here then easily 170 SEs over Wavecrest (unless you need front ported speakers), and the 340s are even better than the 170s so that should give you enough information.

Also, the 170 SEs has the most neutral sound on your list. Other speakers are also neutral but they have rolled off highs / warmer / laid-back presentation when compared to Ascends. The Chanes and EmpTek (especially the towers) are confirmed to be warmer than the Ascends in this forum by many owners.

So what kind of sound do you like?
As neutral as possible with a more forward presentation? Ascends take it.
Neutral but with a warmer/laid-back presentation? Chane or EmpTek take this.
Need high sensitivity for great explosive dynamics when watching movies? Ascends take it
You care a lot about aesthetics? EmpTek would probably take this category

As for the subwoofer you can't go wrong with either the Rythmik LV12R or HSU VTF-2 MK4. But I would probably choose the Rythmik over the HSU due to their patented direct-servo (a lot of owners will say their servo just make the sound quality better overall). But the HSU has tuning options and looks better. You can't have everything...:(

#17 ·
I wouldn't say the Chanes are warm. They're quite neutral. They also don't seem laid back. The Ascends can be a bit bright and are quite forward. The Empteks are definitely warm and laid back.

I found the Ascends to be the most neutral, except for the high end at times, but also the most unforgiving of less than excellent audio sources and recordings.

I demoed all three and find the Chanes to be the best sounding, for me. They're more forgiving of the lesser quality sources, and the highs are amazingly clear without being bright or aggressive.

#21 ·
I think there is a bit of confusion on the RBH/EMP Tek speakers. The towers (R55Ti) are indeed on the warm side, which may work well in a bright room and not so well in a soft room (carpeting and stuffed furniture). The bookshelf (R5Bi) are not warm. They are actually very accurate and a bit on the dry or clinical side.

#24 ·
Thank you guys. Last night, I took some more measurements of my room. Room is about 15 ft, and I will be sitting @ 13.5 ft from the projection screen. This also means (considering speakers takes 1 ft in length), the max distance between my ears and speakers could only be 12.5 ft which is by no means large. Now, if I want to keep speakers to a distance of 12 or 12.5 ft then the only option I could be left with will be front ported speakers. And the only front ported speakers are Wavecrest here.

If I buy Chains or Ascend, they will have to be placed about 2 ft from the other wall (being rear ported) and I will then be sitting about 10 to 10.5 ft from speakers and may feel them playing on my face. If Wavercrest is the best option considering placement flexibility, would you consider them for HT when coupled with HSU or Rythmik Sub? Will there be a significant difference in HT theater experience between Wavecrest versus Ascend or Chanes?

On a separate note, Chanes extra bass shouldn't be a factor when I am using a dedicated sub. Correct?

#25 ·
Correct, the extra bass won't help when using a sub, except that you can put the crossover lower with them than you could with the Ascends. I frequently just turn off my sub with the Chanes, when listening to music.

Also, you don't have to put the Chanes two feet from the wall if you use the provided port plugs. The port plugs change them from being bass reflex to acoustic suspension. I prefer the ports plugged when using a sub, as it sounds cleaner (I also only have them about 1.5 ft from the wall).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.