Do you think there is much difference here? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2016, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think there is much difference here?

Looking at the Fluance SXBP vs Fluance XLBP specs, the only differences I see are the slight changes in size and weight and crossover frequency. If you would be using these as side surrounds mainly for ambient sounds for movies, is there going to be a huge difference between these two? Looking to upgrade my surrounds without spending a lot of cash and these 2 appear to fit what I'm looking, but I'm not familiar with bipolar speakers... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thinking about this more, I should ask maybe what I'm ultimately trying to get at. How important are big surround speakers? I recently upgraded my receiver and now have some power to play with. I'm currently sitting at a 5.1 setup with bose 201s mounted behind me. I'd like to keep those as is for the time being and add side surrounds (I'll need to mount them)

With surrounds being geared towards ambient sounds, is it important to go big? Would the bipolar speakers I mentioned above give me an big advantage of say Polk OWM3 mounted on my sides? Or would anyone have any suggestions for something under $200 for side surrounds that you can mount?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Unlike Dolby Pro Logic in the 1990s, with your four head Hi-Fi VCR, and receivers that only sent 20 watts to the surround speakers, modern cinema surround tracks offer a full range sound, so fuller range speakers do provide better sound during action sequences. I recently upgraded from SVS Prime Satellites to Prime Bookshelves for my surrounds, and the difference is noticeable. That said, you're really probably better off spending the extra cash on a better center channel or sub-woofer. I just swore when I replaced my Bose satellite system that I would never suffer small speakers again.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfriedrich View Post
Unlike Dolby Pro Logic in the 1990s, with your four head Hi-Fi VCR, and receivers that only sent 20 watts to the surround speakers, modern cinema surround tracks offer a full range sound, so fuller range speakers do provide better sound during action sequences. I recently upgraded from SVS Prime Satellites to Prime Bookshelves for my surrounds, and the difference is noticeable. That said, you're really probably better off spending the extra cash on a better center channel or sub-woofer. I just swore when I replaced my Bose satellite system that I would never suffer small speakers again.
I'm satisfied with my front stage and sub, just figured after upgrading everything else, I should look into surrounds. I just wasn't sure how important it is to go as big for surrounds. The bose 201 are decent size bookshelfs and I'm happy keeping those as surround backs for the time being, but I wasn't sure what exactly would be an upgrade (majority will say everything is!) for my side surrounds without breaking bank.

I couldn't find much about fluance and other than the price being right and being attractive, I wasn't sure if the difference between the 2 models would be noticible or if I'd find a big difference between the polk omw5 vs the omw3.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I had Bose 701s and satellites for surround. Compared to my SVS, the Bose sound like they have a blanket wrapped around them. The difference is huge, and almost anything is an upgrade over Bose. Can't speak for the Fluance speakers, they seem pretty similar, but you will definitely get better sound from the OWM5 than the 3.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to speaker brands and value. I liked SVS and went with them. I'm betting you will get suggestions for surrounds that are better than those Polks for less money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement