Looking to Upgrade my Speakers. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wink Looking to Upgrade my Speakers.

Hello all, I will be staying with my Yamaha rx-a1020 receiver for the immediate future and an Oppo bdp103. This setup will mainly be used for Movies and Gaming with Occasional music. Probably 65/25/10. The Northridge speakers will move upstairs to the Wifes TV for Music and TV on the old Harman Kardon avr230. I am looking at the
1. KEF Q500, For Fronts and then working my way to Full 5.1-7.1 depending on Prices on Sale. Stick with my Balboa Sub for now.
2. Polk Rti a7 For Fronts with the rti8's as Surrounds and csia6. Found some Great Prices. Stick with my Balboa Sub for now.
3. Fluance Signature Series 5.0 Setup and BIC f12 Sub..

Mancave is 15x23. 7.3' ceilings. Just barely have room for the 120" and Center channel underneath and still keeps the Center off the ground I will Angle Center channel up a bit. Its the room I have. Speakers will be wide in Corners of room for Fronts, Surrounds will be 2' behind and side of Couch. and the Rears when I get that far will be 8 feet from Center Viewer.
I am looking at possibly adding a Crown AMP XLS 2500W AMP W/ XOVER down the road or the 2502. I am not the most knowledgeable but Know what I have found to sound good. Im not against using Klipsch or BIC Just know the Horn is not something Im used to. the JBL's have impressed me the more and more I have used them Some Movies really come alive and that is why I have Used the towers as Surrounds, Seem to offer More Definition on the Action Scenes, Helicopter, Gun Fire and such . Just time for an upgrade.

Sorry if this has been long winded, I would just like to hear some Opinions and see what I have done wrong or right and what I should be looking for.
Thank you in advance.. Happy Listening.

Epson 3020 Projector on 120" Screen
Yamaha Rx-a1020 Receiver
4x JBL Northridge n38ii's F/L/Rears
Balboa 10" Sub
Balboa Center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Since you like the JBL sound take a look at the 200 series JBLs

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...io%2Caps%2C292

Your sub is really the weak point of the system.

If need be I would just go with the fronts L/R, run a phantom center and get a good sub. The Bic is OK for the price but the good subs start at around $500 from the likes of SVS, Outlaw, Rythmik, HSU.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

thx, I have looked at those, But never seem to find them on Sale. As far as the Sub goes, I know I could use an upgrade, but find it to handle the job as of now. It hits hard in everything but Super Bass heavy music at which point it distorts. But for Movies It Pounds, explosions rumble my Entire 2 level house 2900sf. So I would like to work on the Mains and the Center for now. and I will look into the Subs you mentioned in the Near future after I have replaced the Center and fronts. I had bought the es80's and found that they have started using cheaper materials than they used to they do sound pretty good though and the 2 6.5" speakers hit Lows as good as the 8" in my Northridges. I do not mind going over seas if the quality is there. But this has left me wanting to move away from JBL at least for now. If the Studios still have quality I would be glad to look into them but like I said Price is an issue. I can get the Polk rti a7's and rti8's with center for $1400. I looked into the SVS Prime towers at $900 for a pair with little room for the Center and surrounds. that is why I have mentioned the ones I have, more room to play with mooney wise.

Thank you for your advice, Just worried that JBL is not as well built as even my n38ii's which are some 15yrs old and built really well, for entry level. Trying to get to Mid level for a decent price point obviously.

Yamaha Rx-a1020 Receiver
Balboa 10" Sub
Balboa Center
post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry should have said Buying from Speakers not BUILT in USA. Not Going over seas.. Im not a traveler...

Yamaha Rx-a1020 Receiver
Balboa 10" Sub
Balboa Center
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFiend View Post
Sorry should have said Buying from Speakers not BUILT in USA. Not Going over seas.. Im not a traveler...
Pretty much every speaker that is not from a custom boutique manufacturer is built overseas. That includes the Polks and SVS. If they're not completely assembled in China then nearly all the parts come from China/Asia. That certainly doesn't make any of them bad or have less quality.

As for your sub "hitting hard" I guess most of us on this forum have a very different definition of "hitting hard". There's only so much a 10" 100 watt sub can do. If you think "it" hits hard you'd drop a load hearing something like a Rythmik FVHP-15 or PSA V1800 or similar. You would need about 8 of your subs to even attempt to match the output of a single ported 15" sub from PSA, Rythmik, Reaction Audio or others and that would only be in a very narrow window of about 50-60hz if that.

But, if you're good with it, then that's all that matters.

That's a pretty good price for the Polks if you like how they sound.
dsrussell likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Mark Seaton gets pretty close to a 100% USA-manufactured product. I believe Power Sound Audio gets pretty close on its higher-end offerings as well. I think its hard to tell where some of the base chemicals that make up the crossover-boards, for example, come from, or the wiring, for example, but Seaton uses USA built Speaker Power amps and has the cabinets CNC'd locally. I am pretty sure the Eminence Drivers are manufactured in Kentucky.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Hello all, I will be staying with my Yamaha rx-a1020 receiver for the immediate future and an Oppo bdp103. This setup will mainly be used for Movies and Gaming with Occasional music. Probably 65/25/10. The Northridge speakers will move upstairs to the Wifes TV for Music and TV on the old Harman Kardon avr230. I am looking at the
1. KEF Q500, For Fronts and then working my way to Full 5.1-7.1 depending on Prices on Sale. Stick with my Balboa Sub for now.
2. Polk Rti a7 For Fronts with the rti8's as Surrounds and csia6. Found some Great Prices. Stick with my Balboa Sub for now.
3. Fluance Signature Series 5.0 Setup and BIC f12 Sub..

Mancave is 15x23. 7.3' ceilings. Just barely have room for the 120" and Center channel underneath and still keeps the Center off the ground I will Angle Center channel up a bit. Its the room I have. Speakers will be wide in Corners of room for Fronts, Surrounds will be 2' behind and side of Couch. and the Rears when I get that far will be 8 feet from Center Viewer.
I am looking at possibly adding a Crown AMP XLS 2500W AMP W/ XOVER down the road or the 2502. I am not the most knowledgeable but Know what I have found to sound good. Im not against using Klipsch or BIC Just know the Horn is not something Im used to. the JBL's have impressed me the more and more I have used them Some Movies really come alive and that is why I have Used the towers as Surrounds, Seem to offer More Definition on the Action Scenes, Helicopter, Gun Fire and such . Just time for an upgrade.

Sorry if this has been long winded, I would just like to hear some Opinions and see what I have done wrong or right and what I should be looking for.
Thank you in advance.. Happy Listening.

The KEF Q500 are excellent speakers; great sound. Polk and Fluance get a thumbs down from me; not anywhere near as good IMO.

The Crown stuff is for the stage band at your local bar; not hi-fidelity by any means.

If you want to add an amp for improved sound quality and power in the front channels, I recommend the Marantz MM7025.
post #8 of 11 Old Today, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
The KEF Q500 are excellent speakers; great sound. Polk and Fluance get a thumbs down from me; not anywhere near as good IMO.

The Crown stuff is for the stage band at your local bar; not hi-fidelity by any means.

If you want to add an amp for improved sound quality and power in the front channels, I recommend the Marantz MM7025.
Thank you I will look into them.

How about the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Towers? Anyone like those? how do they compare to the KEF Q500. Most of my use will be Movies and Gaming with some music mixed in..

I have listened to the Rti5 and Rti9's (no 7's set up) and found the The Highs on the 9's to be to Bright and the 5's low in the highs.

What is the best place to buy Speakers from Online. Unfortunately I have only heard the Klipsch, Polk and SVS Prime towers. Spokane does not offer alot in the way of Home theater Besides Best Buyand Huppins. Onecall/Huppins hifi but they only Offer certain speakers. I can not afford The Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers ( I think that is what they were called). 1099 Each... Anywho, thank you for your time.

Yamaha Rx-a1020 Receiver
Balboa 10" Sub
Balboa Center
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Thank you I will look into them.

How about the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Towers? Anyone like those? how do they compare to the KEF Q500. Most of my use will be Movies and Gaming with some music mixed in..

I have listened to the Rti5 and Rti9's (no 7's set up) and found the The Highs on the 9's to be to Bright and the 5's low in the highs.

What is the best place to buy Speakers from Online. Unfortunately I have only heard the Klipsch, Polk and SVS Prime towers. Spokane does not offer alot in the way of Home theater Besides Best Buyand Huppins. Onecall/Huppins hifi but they only Offer certain speakers. I can not afford The Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers ( I think that is what they were called). 1099 Each... Anywho, thank you for your time.
Not sure where YOU are getting YOUR Polk speakers from, but the Polk Direct ebay store has great prices. I just scored a set of RTi8's in black oak for only $291 shipped brand new. The CSi5 center was only $212 dollars shipped! They also have the full 5-year warranty too! So, it may pay for YOU to check them out. Here is a link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Di...p2047675.l2568

YOU may want to wait until Gene D. over at audioholics posts his review of the Flaunce Sig towers. That way, YOU will get professional measurements/inputs to go on. Right now, the reviews for the Sig towers are sort of a mixed bag. Lastly, I have never heard a KEF speakers but know that they are well received. Just trying to help. Best wishes in YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

YOU may want to wait until Gene D. over at audioholics posts his review of the Flaunce Sig towers. That way, YOU will get professional measurements/inputs to go on. Right now, the reviews for the Sig towers are sort of a mixed bag. Lastly, I have never heard a KEF speakers but know that they are well received. Just trying to help. Best wishes in YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

otoh, why wait for someone else to review them? Fluance (which I have never heard) has free shipping and free returns iirc. OP has nothing to lose if he wants to try them in home.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shotB View Post
otoh, why wait for someone else to review them? Fluance (which I have never heard) has free shipping and free returns iirc. OP has nothing to lose if he wants to try them in home.
YOUR are right. I just know many people are waiting until Gene puts out his review. Should be up anytime now. I was looking at the Sig series when I got a deal on the RTi8's. Just could NOT pass that up. If the OP does NOT mind to box things back up and return the Sigs in the event he does NOT like them, then there is nothing to lose but time.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page