Best L/C/R For Movies/TV under $4k - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Reefdvr27
  • 1 Post By rustolemite
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Unread 01-27-2016, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Best L/C/R For Movies/TV under $4k

Okay so just looking for some input or recommendations on what brands everyone considers does the best job when it comes to Movies and TV watching.
The majority of my watching will be either Blu-Ray, Netflix on HTPC or Directv, there will be some music mixed in.
As for the music it will either be MP3, Pandora or recorded from Directv so no real audiophile quality needed for that, but there will be some Blu-Ray concerts mixed in.

For me in the past it was either not loud enough, fixed that but then not as clear so moved on to something else each time. I have decided to stop worrying about volume when it comes to music,
when really what I want is the best quality I can have for my Movies/TV watching. So the center channel would be very important as well.

One question is can you get the same sound out of a tower from a bookshelf speaker if not worried about bass from the tower speaker?
Since I have the HSU sub wouldn't need the Fronts to really produce that much bass which is why I was thinking a good quality bookshelf.

My room is 19x18x8 already have Surrounds and a Sub and will pushing speakers with Yamaha CX-5000 + Emotiva XPA5.
Also have to include that I am not able to go out and "audition" speakers would have to rely on others input, reviews or any brands that offer a trial use.

Here's a few examples of what I was looking at here's the towers or the optional bookshelf's:
http://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower
http://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelf
http://www.xtzsound.us/shop/us/Speak...m6-left-center
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...n/horizon.html
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...lver/silver-10
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver/silver-1
http://www.focal.com/usa/en/chorus-7...057691097.html

Thanks for any responses you can provide.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Unread 01-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Okay so just looking for some input or recommendations on what brands everyone considers does the best job when it comes to Movies and TV watching.
The majority of my watching will be either Blu-Ray, Netflix on HTPC or Directv, there will be some music mixed in.
As for the music it will either be MP3, Pandora or recorded from Directv so no real audiophile quality needed for that, but there will be some Blu-Ray concerts mixed in.

For me in the past it was either not loud enough, fixed that but then not as clear so moved on to something else each time. I have decided to stop worrying about volume when it comes to music,
when really what I want is the best quality I can have for my Movies/TV watching. So the center channel would be very important as well.

One question is can you get the same sound out of a tower from a bookshelf speaker if not worried about bass from the tower speaker?
Since I have the HSU sub wouldn't need the Fronts to really produce that much bass which is why I was thinking a good quality bookshelf.

My room is 19x18x8 already have Surrounds and a Sub and will pushing speakers with Yamaha CX-5000 + Emotiva XPA5.
Also have to include that I am not able to go out and "audition" speakers would have to rely on others input, reviews or any brands that offer a trial use.

Here's a few examples of what I was looking at here's the towers or the optional bookshelf's:
http://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower
http://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelf
http://www.xtzsound.us/shop/us/Speak...m6-left-center
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...n/horizon.html
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...lver/silver-10
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver/silver-1
http://www.focal.com/usa/en/chorus-7...057691097.html

Thanks for any responses you can provide.
I just installed SVS Ultra bookshelves and Ultra Center (with SB13-Ultra). They are outstanding. Haven't heard any of the others

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
MalevolentHamster is offline  
post #3 of 23 Unread 01-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
faulkton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Look at the tannoy revolution xt 8f or the bookshelf. Simply amazing.
faulkton is offline  
post #4 of 23 Unread 01-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 2
You have goldenear triton 5's for L/R/C that are under $4K now. Don't you like them?
podboy is online now  
post #5 of 23 Unread 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy View Post
You have goldenear triton 5's for L/R/C that are under $4K now. Don't you like them?
Yes I do and yes and no they are great speakers but always kinda looking for the next "sound" I may not like what I get next and go back to the Goldenears but just curious to try
something new which is why I wanted some input on what others would recommend.

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
post #6 of 23 Unread 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4,551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Yes I do and yes and no they are great speakers but always kinda looking for the next "sound" I may not like what I get next and go back to the Goldenears but just curious to try
something new which is why I wanted some input on what others would recommend.

Thanks
JTR, Seaton, PSA, Reaction Audio- all high efficiency designs that excel for movies/TV.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Unread 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Best L/C/R For Movies/TV under $4k

If you are happy with ur current speakers and sub, why look for trouble? Most here will tell you to buy their favorite speaker, it's almost comical at times
yanks1 is online now  
post #8 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
If you are happy with ur current speakers and sub, why look for trouble? Most here will tell you to buy their favorite speaker, it's almost comical at times
Exactly, the best speakers are the ones "you" like the sound of, regardless of anyone else's likes. All anyone else can really tell you is what sounds good to "them".

First thing to do is find what you like the sound of, then ask those owners about specifics.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #9 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Triad Silver LCRs would fit your budget. Very good speakers.

-




Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
BllDo is offline  
post #10 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 285
You need to figure out what you want first,

Your room is rather large so I would assume you are sitting at least 10 to 13 feet back from your mains? Since you mentioned loud and now want clarity for movies, this usually means elevated sound pressure levels for movies. The crack of a whip, shattering glass and that sort of thing.

I would figure out the SPL that you have available from the speakers you have now, then use that as your calculation. If you want your HT system to have 50% more output (+5dB) while remaining clear, this will give you an idea where to start. Your amplifier is around 200 watts per channel so +23dB is available as long as the speaker drivers are not driven into distortion...at that level, very small speakers will struggle as physics can't be denied.

Normally, you figure out your budget ($4K) then your SPL requirements at your seated position (THX reference levels are 105dB peaks) how LARGE the speakers can be then how much power you have available. For instance, if you want THX peak levels at a distance of 13 feet--you'll need speakers that will punch out a minimum of 115dB at 1 meter. Subtract your amp gain or 115 - 23dB/W and you arrive at 92dB 1 watt/1 meter. You also must make the assumption that the speaker companies are not fudging the numbers (they do) and your speakers are not compressing from all that power during the peaks (they do)

Say you want to throw in a bit of "headroom" to counter distortion and amp clipping, say around 3dB just to be safe. That pushes the speakers to 95dB at 1w/1m which start to become rather large. Luckily subs can save your butt when it comes to speaker size--just get really efficient speakers with high power handling that have weak bass response since it is not required.

I'll be getting a pair of 20x12.5Wx12"D "bookshelves" this year with 98dB 1w/1m rating so any AVR will have no problem with reference. My listening position is only 10 feet so I figure 25 to 50 watts peak should get me there with very low distortion and great clarity.

Good luck!
18Hurts is offline  
post #11 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
You need to figure out what you want first,

Your room is rather large so I would assume you are sitting at least 10 to 13 feet back from your mains? Since you mentioned loud and now want clarity for movies, this usually means elevated sound pressure levels for movies. The crack of a whip, shattering glass and that sort of thing.

I would figure out the SPL that you have available from the speakers you have now, then use that as your calculation. If you want your HT system to have 50% more output (+5dB) while remaining clear, this will give you an idea where to start. Your amplifier is around 200 watts per channel so +23dB is available as long as the speaker drivers are not driven into distortion...at that level, very small speakers will struggle as physics can't be denied.

Normally, you figure out your budget ($4K) then your SPL requirements at your seated position (THX reference levels are 105dB peaks) how LARGE the speakers can be then how much power you have available. For instance, if you want THX peak levels at a distance of 13 feet--you'll need speakers that will punch out a minimum of 115dB at 1 meter. Subtract your amp gain or 115 - 23dB/W and you arrive at 92dB 1 watt/1 meter. You also must make the assumption that the speaker companies are not fudging the numbers (they do) and your speakers are not compressing from all that power during the peaks (they do)

Say you want to throw in a bit of "headroom" to counter distortion and amp clipping, say around 3dB just to be safe. That pushes the speakers to 95dB at 1w/1m which start to become rather large. Luckily subs can save your butt when it comes to speaker size--just get really efficient speakers with high power handling that have weak bass response since it is not required.

I'll be getting a pair of 20x12.5Wx12"D "bookshelves" this year with 98dB 1w/1m rating so any AVR will have no problem with reference. My listening position is only 10 feet so I figure 25 to 50 watts peak should get me there with very low distortion and great clarity.

Good luck!
This man speaks the truth.

To that end, if WAF isn't an issue, you really need to be looking at loaded horns. Something like the JBL AC26 or AC28/95 will (just) do reference volume in a room your size with headroom to spare on the amp you have. This means all the loudness and clarity you're looking for, especially with the reflection control of horns. You should be able to pick up either the AC26 or AC28/95 for under $1K/ea with a written quote form somebody like Full Compass.

Speaking of clarity and reflections, if you have a lot of hard surfaces in your room, it's time to look at acoustic treatments.

I also suggest buying 5x+ matching speakers. Virtually all home multi-channel mixes assume identical speakers all around (L/C/R an surrounds) and really do sound much better with everything matching.
energizerfellow is offline  
post #12 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
If you are happy with ur current speakers and sub, why look for trouble? Most here will tell you to buy their favorite speaker, it's almost comical at times
Not looking for trouble but always want to try out something new which I do as long I can make a good sale on my current setup each time, which has been the case in the past.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
post #13 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Triad Silver LCRs would fit your budget. Very good speakers.
Thanks will check those out.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
post #14 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
You need to figure out what you want first,

Your room is rather large so I would assume you are sitting at least 10 to 13 feet back from your mains? Since you mentioned loud and now want clarity for movies, this usually means elevated sound pressure levels for movies. The crack of a whip, shattering glass and that sort of thing.

I would figure out the SPL that you have available from the speakers you have now, then use that as your calculation. If you want your HT system to have 50% more output (+5dB) while remaining clear, this will give you an idea where to start. Your amplifier is around 200 watts per channel so +23dB is available as long as the speaker drivers are not driven into distortion...at that level, very small speakers will struggle as physics can't be denied.

Normally, you figure out your budget ($4K) then your SPL requirements at your seated position (THX reference levels are 105dB peaks) how LARGE the speakers can be then how much power you have available. For instance, if you want THX peak levels at a distance of 13 feet--you'll need speakers that will punch out a minimum of 115dB at 1 meter. Subtract your amp gain or 115 - 23dB/W and you arrive at 92dB 1 watt/1 meter. You also must make the assumption that the speaker companies are not fudging the numbers (they do) and your speakers are not compressing from all that power during the peaks (they do)

Say you want to throw in a bit of "headroom" to counter distortion and amp clipping, say around 3dB just to be safe. That pushes the speakers to 95dB at 1w/1m which start to become rather large. Luckily subs can save your butt when it comes to speaker size--just get really efficient speakers with high power handling that have weak bass response since it is not required.

I'll be getting a pair of 20x12.5Wx12"D "bookshelves" this year with 98dB 1w/1m rating so any AVR will have no problem with reference. My listening position is only 10 feet so I figure 25 to 50 watts peak should get me there with very low distortion and great clarity.

Good luck!
Yes sitting probably about 10 to 12 feet from speakers.
Have never used an SPL meter not that much of an audiophile but do let the Yamaha YPAO do its thing and then adjust the individual volumes to my own liking.
And its not that don't like the sound of my Goldenears its just I wanted to experience something different.

I am also really leaning toward trying out some Bookshelf speakers with 3 making up the L/C/R, I don't feel I would be really losing much overall sound or volume since they will be paired with my HSU sub.
So have kinda narrowed it down to what Bookshelf's can do the best job for my movie watching, while still able to handle music just maybe not at the ear bleeding level.

Thanks for your great input will help me go in the right direction.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
post #15 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerfellow View Post
This man speaks the truth.

To that end, if WAF isn't an issue, you really need to be looking at loaded horns. Something like the JBL AC26 or AC28/95 will (just) do reference volume in a room your size with headroom to spare on the amp you have. This means all the loudness and clarity you're looking for, especially with the reflection control of horns. You should be able to pick up either the AC26 or AC28/95 for under $1K/ea with a written quote form somebody like Full Compass.

Speaking of clarity and reflections, if you have a lot of hard surfaces in your room, it's time to look at acoustic treatments.

I also suggest buying 5x+ matching speakers. Virtually all home multi-channel mixes assume identical speakers all around (L/C/R an surrounds) and really do sound much better with everything matching.
Thanks will check them out and definitely thinking about 3 same across the front.
Was thinking like you said same for all 5 but hard to beat my Axiom QS8's.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
post #16 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,154
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Personally for movies I would look at the PSA MTM210 Towers. They are $2K a pair. They have a few other models you can match for a center. They have a few others that would also work well as they are affordable!! I would also look at the JTR228HTR's. Considering you have a capable sub, these speakers would pair well with your sub. I have heard the PSA's and they very good for the money. I have two pairs of the JTR's (different than listed) and they are the one of the best speakers I have ever heard, at least for me they are. The reason I listed both of these is because they are very good speakers for movies. Actually they are both pretty good with music also, would say they are good 50/50 speakers.
ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 01-29-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #17 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Yes sitting probably about 10 to 12 feet from speakers.
I am also really leaning toward trying out some Bookshelf speakers with 3 making up the L/C/R, I don't feel I would be really losing much overall sound or volume since they will be paired with my HSU sub.
So have kinda narrowed it down to what Bookshelf's can do the best job for my movie watching, while still able to handle music just maybe not at the ear bleeding level.
Your room is large enough that having to worry about the laws of physics taking over is a thing. Anything with less than 2x6.5" and a wave guide tweeter just won't be able to physically move enough air to give the SPL needed with authority. Size matters (that's what she said... ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Personally for movies I would look at the PSA MTM210 Towers. They are $2K a pair. They have a few other models you can match for a center. I would also look at the JTR228HTR's. Considering you have a capable sub, these speakers would pair well with your sub. I have heard the PSA's and they very good for the money.
Those too.
energizerfellow is offline  
post #18 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jahjd2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have Ascend Towers and matching Horizon center with NrT tweeter. I love the combo for movies. To me the Ascends sound better than the theaters (partially because I can tweak it).

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
Jahjd2000 is online now  
post #19 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Still searching and reading but am getting very interested in either of these in a L/C/R setup.

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop/us/Speak...m6-left-center
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...n/horizon.html

For the sound I want for my movies just don't think I have to be "tower" only when I can pair any L/C/R with my HSU sub.

After doing some more research adding these to the list:
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210

Thanks.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite

Last edited by rustolemite; 01-30-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Update
rustolemite is online now  
post #20 of 23 Unread 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Best L/C/R For Movies/TV under $4k

Agree; with a good subwoofer (I have an Outlaw X12) you only need good bookshelfs or a small tower speaker. Most LF crossovers to the sub are set at 80Hz
yanks1 is online now  
post #21 of 23 Unread 01-30-2016, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I you would like to try some horn type speakers cheap look at the PA style berries thread. Lot of people over their with experience with some of the high end speakers already listed here. I just bought 3 for my lcr to try and so far compared to what I had they are different but good. Check out what @MKtheater has to say about them.
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #22 of 23 Unread Yesterday, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just wanted to update that I did order today 3 of the XTZ Cinema M6 speakers for my L/C/R.
We will see how it goes.
dsrussell likes this.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is online now  
post #23 of 23 Unread Yesterday, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
John Schuermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,670
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Just in case you don't like the XTC Cinemas, why not take a look at the speaker brand(s) that most movies and music are mixed on - JBL and Revel? You can easily get the Revel Concerta2s for under $4K LCR - a pair of F36 towers ($1K each) plus the C25 center ($750). For that matter, why not consider the Revel Performa F206 ($3500 per pair) combined with the Revel C205 at $1K? There you are literally looking at some of the finest speakers available at any price at *just* over your budget (just Google for reviews on the Performas).

The Revel / JBL design philosophy is that they won't release a speaker until it can reliably beat any competitive speaker in double blind listening tests at the Harman research facility in Northridge, CA. You will find lots of Revel and JBL speakers in mix studios - over 80% on the movie side, in fact. When I visited the Harman labs in August, they were double blind testing the Revel Concerta2 M16 bookshelf against competing designs from Monitor Audio, Polk, KEF, and B&W. And these are true level matched, double blind tests where neither the listeners or the person administering the test knew which speaker was playing at any given time. The Revels won with 7 out of the 8 people in the room preferring their sound.

Good luck!

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com (under construction) Home Theater Design
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
John Schuermann is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off