DIY home theater speaker add on advise (Klipsch) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2016, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DIY home theater speaker add on advise (Klipsch)

Hi guys,

I am looking for some advise and suggestion, here's info on my room size and component already have.

Room:
11x16ft Ceiling 8ft

Denon AVR-1200
Bose 301 bookshelf L/R
Klipsch KL525 (center)
Klipsch KS-525 (side surround)
10" custom subwoofer

The current set up seem to work great to my ears for movies..... but then the other day when I decide to listen to some musics videos on youtube... First I had it on Dolby Surround and it sounded great. Then I switch to Stereo, then I it sounded horrible with the Bose 301.... I used to think my Bose301 was the ****zness... Until now that I have the 525 center... It got me thinking, what if I upgrade my L/R with Klipsch 525 or 650 THX to complete it, would it blow my mind both for movie and musics? Then, I start looking around and got more ideas... why not replace the front L/R with Pro-7800-THX IN WALL, cheaper than 525/650 boxed speakers and it could look cleaner on my wall (see pictures). Currently my Bose is only half an inches away from the screen and protrude out 11inches... when a bright scene come up, I can see the L/R side of my speaker (a bit annoying). (maximum gap for L/R speaker is 17 inches)

So the golden question? What should I go with???

525-THX boxed (12.5x12.5x16) I can mount this side way to give more gap from the screen.
650-THX boxed (pretty close size to 525)
650-02 in wall
650-04 in wall
7800-THX in wall
Pro-7800-THX in wall? (new technology? sound different than old? not good to go with my old THX?)

I probably shouldn't even think about mixing with the Klipsch Reference series?

thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00650.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1221314   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00648.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1221322  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
Hi guys,

I am looking for some advise and suggestion, here's info on my room size and component already have.

Room:
11x16ft Ceiling 8ft

Denon AVR-1200
Bose 301 bookshelf L/R
Klipsch KL525 (center)
Klipsch KS-525 (side surround)
10" custom subwoofer

The current set up seem to work great to my ears for movies..... but then the other day when I decide to listen to some musics videos on youtube... First I had it on Dolby Surround and it sounded great. Then I switch to Stereo, then I it sounded horrible with the Bose 301.... I used to think my Bose301 was the ****zness... Until now that I have the 525 center... It got me thinking, what if I upgrade my L/R with Klipsch 525 or 650 THX to complete it, would it blow my mind both for movie and musics? Then, I start looking around and got more ideas... why not replace the front L/R with Pro-7800-THX IN WALL, cheaper than 525/650 boxed speakers and it could look cleaner on my wall (see pictures). Currently my Bose is only half an inches away from the screen and protrude out 11inches... when a bright scene come up, I can see the L/R side of my speaker (a bit annoying). (maximum gap for L/R speaker is 17 inches)

So the golden question? What should I go with???

thank you.

IMO the Bose and your center speaker are terrible speakers. The 525 is just totally wrong for a center speaker, and the Bose just plain suck.

I suggest that you get the following speakers-

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 10.2 speakers for the fronts, and Wharfedale Diamond 10CS for the center. They are great-sounding speakers.

That will run you around $600 total at Music Direct, and your system should sound around 300% better.

Mount 10" x 12" wood shelves on the walls with steel L-brackets L and R and put the speakers vertically on them. The brackets will be hidden behind the speakers.

Get a small bookshelf unit to put the center speaker on so it is as close to the bottom of the screen as possible.

In-wall speakers are seriously disadvantaged; don't go there.

To eliminate reflections from the L/R speakers, do as follows:

Get two black pillowcases and drape them over the top of the L/R speakers so that the cloth drapes down on both sides and behind the speaker.

Last edited by commsysman; 01-31-2016 at 08:32 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
IMO the Bose and your center speaker are terrible speakers. The 525 is just totally wrong for a center speaker, and the Bose just suck.

I suggest that you get the following speakers-

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 10.2 speakers for the fronts, and Wharfedale Diamond 10CS for the center.

That will run you around $600 total at Music Direct, and your system should sound around 300% better.
Thanks for the response and don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be offensive.. But do you have any thing to back that up? Have you used a Klipsch 525thx before to make a comparison? I understand that there's newer technology for cheaper and no doubt that there's some speaker out there that can cost less and sound better than Klipsch THX. But the Wharfedale (I have not heard of this brand nor seen it sold anywhere to go hear it out).

I guess it;s like food, everyone taste is different.... I believe that my Klipsch 525 as a center sounded great (klipsch said you can use this for a center). There's no way I am going to get rid of them and just go out and buy a new set of speakers unless I can actually hear out the 300% increase in performance (I doubt my ears can understand such increase performance anyway).

Noted* about the in wall, I am leaning away from these at the moment.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-31-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response and don't take this the wrong way, not trying to be offensive.. But do you have any thing to back that up? Have you used a Klipsch 525thx before to make a comparison? I understand that there's newer technology for cheaper and no doubt that there's some speaker out there that can cost less and sound better than Klipsch THX. But the Wharfedale (I have not heard of this brand nor seen it sold anywhere to go hear it out).

I guess it;s like food, everyone taste is different.... I believe that my Klipsch 525 as a center sounded great (klipsch said you can use this for a center). There's no way I am going to get rid of them and just go out and buy a new set of speakers unless I can actually hear out the 300% increase in performance (I doubt my ears can understand such increase performance anyway).

Noted* about the in wall, I am leaning away from these at the moment.

I am very familiar with all of these speakers. Everyone I have talked to about them find the Wharfedales very nice to listen to, while the 525 is not to everyone's liking; I find them a bit shrill. They may be good for the SLAM-BAM-WHAM of Batman, but not so hot for music IMO.

As for Wharfedale, they have been one of the largest and best English speaker designers and manufacturers (for over 80 years), along with KEF and Tannoy. I think Music Direct is their main dealer in the USA at present, and Amazon has them too. I think MD gives you 30 days to unconditionally return anything.

I bought a a pair of Wharfedale W70D 4-way speakers at a store in Long Beach, California in 1970 and kept them in my system until 1980 (my first speaker was an 18" Klipschorn, which I built from a Klipsch kit in 1960; mono system then). They must have sold a million of those W70D speakers; they were really popular for 15 or 20 years.

They were very good speakers in their day, for their price. I replaced them in 1980 with a pair of the brand new Polk RTA12 studio monitors, which had just been introduced at CES in Las Vegas.

You might want to read the review of the Diamond 10.1 that is available on the Stereophile website; that will give you a considerable amount of information about them.

If you want more info about Wharfedale Speakers look at Wikipedia.

Last edited by commsysman; 01-31-2016 at 09:39 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The KL-525 is a LCR speaker, so why not get 2 more if budget allows?

The Klipsch THX speakers are well-reviewed and have a very flat frequency response.

Some general comments - have you thought about adding some room treatments and perhaps an area rug in front of the speakers? Also, you might want to angle the center up a bit so that it projects to the listening area.

Last edited by adam2434; 01-31-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-2016, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Look like BestBuy Magnolia might have the Wharfedale Diamond on demo... couldn't hurt to go check it out. But I can't wrap my head around thinking that tiny box (Wharfedale Diamond 10.1) is going to be better than the Klipsch 525 or 650). But then, I can't wrap my head around the part where the Klipsch 650 THX component cost less than 100usd.

Yes, I was considering just completing the set with KL525 L/R, but they are still 1300.00 for the pair (lowest price I have found). 650's are 1700.00/pair.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Look like BestBuy Magnolia might have the Wharfedale Diamond on demo... couldn't hurt to go check it out. But I can't wrap my head around thinking that tiny box (Wharfedale Diamond 10.1) is going to be better than the Klipsch 525 or 650). But then, I can't wrap my head around the part where the Klipsch 650 THX component cost less than 100usd.

Yes, I was considering just completing the set with KL525 L/R, but they are still 1300.00 for the pair (lowest price I have found). 650's are 1700.00/pair.
Let your ears tell you.
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Turn out Magnolia only demo Definitive and Bowers/Wilkins. I listened to both and the BW is better than Def for sure... BUT, the bookself BW sound a lot clearer than my Bose301, but I am not sure if I like it more than my Klipsch 525... They were loud, but they seem to be over worked.

I dunno.... just seem asking so much from a small box. I am just a noob, know nothing about sound... just what my ears like.
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

This is tougher than getting marry.
post #10 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have never heard of the Klipsch KL525 or KL650 being referred to as "shrill" or "terrible". Unless its by someone who has no experience with this line. I believe this is the case. OP, go with the 525 or 650, forget about the Wharfedale. They're a joke compared to the Ultra2's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page