AVS Forum banner

KEF vs Monitor Audio vs Paradigm

16K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dtximages 
#1 ·
Thus far I have listened to KEF Q and R series and MA silver series.

Right now my ears tell me KEF R > MA Silver > KEF Q

my budget is $3500 for a left, right, and center and I want floor standers for the L/R. they will be used 75% tv/movies and 25% music both at moderate volume levels. Room is 16'x18' and I am going for precision and clarity not necessarily at mind blowing volume. I will use a subwoofer with my setup.

Another wrench in my gears, Paradigm dealers are offering a FREE Prestige center channel with the purchase of a pair of towers until Feb 26 which puts them in my price range. I have not heard these and the local distributor does not carry them in stock. So here's my options with approximate pricing. CAST YOUR VOTE and tell me why you would choose the setup:

1.) KEF R500s (5") w/R200c ($3600)
2.) Paradigm Prestige (5.5") 75Fs w/45c ($3200 w/promotion)
3.) MA Silver 6s (6") w/Silver Center ($2750)
4.) KEF Q900s (8") w/Q600c ($2450)

Somehting tells me go with the Prestige since it's such an amazing deal and I love free stuff but have never heard these speakers! The reviews are promising and the fit-and-finish looks amazing in the pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
The company I work for uses all three and they are all good. No one can really answer this for you. You have to try and listen for yourself. Ideally, dealers will let you take them home so you can listen in your own environment. Unfortunately, it is tough in many areas to find dealers with showrooms or stock for demos.

#3 ·
Tough choice because all of these are great. If you go KEF get the R's. Depending on the Paradigm center offered you have to consider Paradigm. How much is the free center channel worth? Is it a Prestige center? I have Paradigm so am biased.

You'll just have to listen to each of them & decide. There is no bad choice as you'll be happy with whatever you pick.

#5 ·
Tough choice because all of these are great. If you go KEF get the R's. Depending on the Paradigm center offered you have to consider Paradigm. How much is the free center channel worth? Is it a Prestige center? I have Paradigm so am biased.
You'll just have to listen to each of them & decide. There is no bad choice as you'll be happy with whatever you pick.
So the local rep would have to order the Paradigm Prestige 75F/45C for me to allow me to listen. In the color I prefer (white - Wife is adamant about that, I like Black Walnut) there is a 6 week lead time. The free center channel is the paradigm 45C is $1500 value in white color.

So the Monitor Audio sound a little "thin" to me compared to the KEF R Series - def will choose KEFs or Prestige Series. The R500/R200c will be $400 more than getting the 75F with the 45C (only with free center included - otherwise Prestige more $ than R-series).

Just based on the Paradigm reviews and apparent build quality (and WAF) I am about to pull the trigger without a demo :eek: Plus my buddy already has 5.1 with R series (R900 L/R, R700 Surrouncs, R600C - QUITE impressive) so I need to do something different anyways!

#6 ·
Quite impressive yet you would choose to go with the other because it's....something different?

We all have different criteria, that one's not mine. Given that the KEF are available in white (other than the R50 Atmos-enabled toppers), I have to ask If your wife has seen them. They look high-tech cool with the grilles off, completely demure with them on.

#11 ·
I agree. He probably would be extremely happy with the Q series (instead of the R series), but in his defense, it's his money and his decision.
And if I had a dollar every time I heard some say "put the money into speakers over (other equipment)" . . .

Start with speakers, then build out from there.

:nerd:

#12 ·
what subwoofers are you pairing with those?

#14 · (Edited)
Ooops!

Sorry, it's my fault.

Apparently I'm a lose cannon.

:frown:

#15 ·
I recently listened to monitor audio pl300's mk2 and the KEF r900 in the same room. For me, the KEF's sounded much more to my liking. The MAs were almost too tamed or thin sounding. Perhaps they're overly location sensitive. The KEF just made me smile more. I felt like the MA was just another vanilla so so $12k speaker much like many B&Ws which are nice, but they just bore me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.