Dolby angle guidelines for in ceiling speakers, need to be exact or just close? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Dolby angle guidelines for in ceiling speakers, need to be exact or just close?

I'm building a 5.1.2 system but can expand to 5.1.4 in near future. My rear surrounds on rear wall (MLP is 3 feet from rear wall) are currently ~ 6 feet high.

I read on Dolby Atmos white paper ear height is now recommended or no more than 25% higher then front speakers. So for most of us that be 4-4.5 ft high for rear surrounds. So I assume I should drop them 1-2 ft; but my speaker wires holes are 6 ft up on wall now that the speakers are hiding; urgh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 02-10-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 284
For 2 rows of seats are people just putting Atmos in front the first row and the second pair behind the rear row?

Does anyone know if AVR's plan to support more than 4 height speakers in the home?

Quote:
Because the object-based audio mix is delivered to home theaters, Dolby Atmos has the ability to adapt to extremely diverse speaker setups, from systems with five speakers on the floor and two speakers producing overhead sound to Dolby Atmos supersystems with 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead speakers.

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 

Last edited by pgwalsh; 02-10-2016 at 11:05 AM.
post #33 of 33 Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
In my case, as it was mentioned, my two that sit 3 feet forward would be considered Top Fronts i believe.. so as was suggested in the previous post, in my situation since i found i cant put two speakers in the ceiling directly, i should go with "rear heights", i think this is what that would be.. is that accurate.. Still unsure on cornering them vs putting them in line with the TF i already have in play.. direct in line would put them nearly directly above the rear surrounds i think. (actually a little left and a little right of the rear surround looking towards the tv)

So TF + RH

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...0&d=1409589133

Hopefully that will work just as well.. i'm shooting for the 7.1.4 setup in the long run.. again the struggle is that my rear surrounds are pretty close to the ceiling and not much i can do there.. maybe 2 feet from the ceiling
Well I found a lucky break, literally, the area in the rear that was hardwood was only 3/4" thick.. i used a drill to make a big hole then a jig type saw and cut the circle.. everything worked out in the end.. here are some shots of the way things are right now.. again, i may need to lower those rears (or maybe not from what some have said, maybe just lower the fronts).. I have the tweeters aimed a little left and right of the MLP from each speaker for now. Right now i only have a pioneer 1130 receiver so i toggle from 5.1.2 to 7.1.0, but in the near future i'd like to get the Onkyo TX-NR1030 which should support 7.1.4 without pre outs/amp needed. Still debating whether to slide my side speakers more even with though couch, than cornered.. i had moved them back to account for times when the end seats recline slightly, making them more side on.. in the Pioneer i have them set to "rear" and "large" rather than side (or small).. i also have the atmos set to large as i saw some said you get better field representation by going with large, even if they are small. (Micca 8's)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos3 - Copy.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1257625   Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1257633   Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	77