AVS Forum banner

speakers for outdoor projector setup - any thoughts?

426 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  aeneas3 
#1 ·
hi all
Been a while for me here - loving my jammo and polk setups on our main tvs.

All that being said, my wife and kids got me a simple outdoor set up. We plan on watching kids movies outside during the summer. She looked for value, which I think was a great idea. This set will be moved into the house of course when we are not using it, so outdoor speakers are not needed.

Set up will be

Erison projector on my benro tripod I use for my canon.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO9T14E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01
Will be running power directly to the projector so there will be plugs if needed.
Picture will come from either chrome cast, fire stick, laptop or dvd/blu ray player. A lot of flexibility.
Screen is a campchef
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KS4LKIE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

So the big question is the speakers. I would guess 50-200 range, likely lower.
Of note, the projector does not support dolby.
subwoofer does not matter - kids will not care.
It appears that the projector supports old school audio out for this set up only.

Any thoughts?
I appreciate any input, we definitely want something louder and better than the projector speakers.
The projector does not support bluetooth

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you looking for a powered speaker/speakers or passive speakers to power with an AVR/amp?

#3 ·
It sounds like you just need a decent portable speaker.

You could go with something like the Fluance FI50 ($199)

Alternatively, you could get some computer speakers or powered monitors, like the Emotiva Airmotiv 3b ($199)

Neither of those speakers are really designed for outdoor use, but they would be easy to take outside and would certainly go louder than the built-in speakers.

#4 ·
hi
thanks for the advice.
Basically just need a portable speaker for sure. we did a test for the game last night and used a marware that is at the end of its life. definitely want better than that.
It can definitely be powered.
Any suggestions in the ~$100 range, just for choices ;)

#6 ·
This could be a long-shot depending on where you live.

If you have local Big Lots stores, you might be able to find a Kicker Amphitheater iK5 for $80. They originally sold for around $200.

I bought 3 at $65 each when Big Lots had a rewards member discount a while back.

They will play pretty clean and loud for what they are. From a room away, they can fool you into thinking a full range system is playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.