2.1 1500$ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sigpig
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
post #1 of 17 Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile 2.1 1500$

Hello avs , I've been somewhat of a lurker throughout the years , and now finally have some spare money to put together a home theater system so decided to join to get some feedback .

I want to build a good home theater , my only problem is I have a really small room so don't know where to begin . My room is 15 x 9 . Now , I don't plan on being in this room/house for more then 6 months , which is why I would like to start off small with a 2.1 system and later on upgrade .

I mostly watch tv and movies on my 4KTV with some ps4 and occasionally listen to music on the weekends . would say 60/25/15 . So speakers that work with all the special effects in movies are preferred .

My budget is around 1500 including receiver , however , if there's builds that go above it , and are really worth the extra money , I can hold on a bit and save a little more .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 592
That's an ample budget for what you're doing. Lots of great options out there. I'd go ahead and add a center channel since it will make your HT experience a lot better---easier to understand dialogue without needing to crank up the volume and then have to turn it down during loud scenes or commercials.

This is how I'd break it down:
Sub: $400-600
Receiver: $400-500
Speakers: $300-500

Example:

EMPTek R5Bi speakers with R5Ci center, $340 shipped---if you move into a larger place later, you can grab the R55ti towers and move the R5Bi to surround duty:
http://emptek.com/bstockZ1744.php

Denon X2100 receiver, $400 shipped
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

Rythmik LV12R sub, $570 shipped --- this will be ample for larger rooms too, so it's not a throwaway sub.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ubs/lv12r.html

Yes there are more expensive speakers out there, but if music listening is only 15% of your usage, I honestly don't think it would be worth it.
post #3 of 17 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Honestly? What I would do is forgo anything until I move. Then I would have a better idea for a setup (but that's just me)...
wvu80 likes this.
post #4 of 17 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Well, my opinion is that life is too short to listen to TV speakers- even for a few months. Zorba's suggestions allows for upgrade/changes as the space changes. I might suggest spending even less on the AV receiver (300 or less), as that technology changes rapidly anyway.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #5 of 17 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 80
as much as i like my 2100, if you want full 4k compatiblity do not get it
go for a 910 or 2200

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #6 of 17 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 80
300-400 on a receiver
1100-1200 on a pair of speakers
save up for a decent sub...hopefully be able to get the sub when you move.
post #7 of 17 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Get this for now. It sounds beyond good. Plus you can take it anywhere there's power, use it as bedroom, kitchen, patio speaker...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_731DPBL...&awmt=b&awnw=g

Then once you get into your new place get the right speakers/sub for your listening/viewing area.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 17 Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a budget similar to yours. Went with PSB X2T's for 1200CAD a pair, and spent 200CAD on a used NAD 320Bee Integrated Amp. Figured i'd save money for a sub in the future, and since most of my listening is music, I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a sub yet. Decent floor standers will give you adequate bass. I recently bought a NAD D1050 dac on sale for $450CAD since i've decided on keeping it a 2.0 for now, and everything sounds amazing.
IMO, Look into spending most of your budget on the speakers then look for cheap used amp to keep you satisfied until you can spend more. Who knows, in a short time you may be looking at a 5.1 system, so at least then your front speakers would be more than adequate.
post #9 of 17 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Honestly? What I would do is forgo anything until I move. Then I would have a better idea for a setup (but that's just me)...
It's a good point , however , that's why I would like a system where I can keep upgrading instead of having to start from scratch . That and I'm tired of barely hearing from my tv, my iMac has way better sound clarity and effects than my tv has .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolaco View Post
I had a budget similar to yours. Went with PSB X2T's for 1200CAD a pair, and spent 200CAD on a used NAD 320Bee Integrated Amp. Figured i'd save money for a sub in the future, and since most of my listening is music, I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a sub yet. Decent floor standers will give you adequate bass. I recently bought a NAD D1050 dac on sale for $450CAD since i've decided on keeping it a 2.0 for now, and everything sounds amazing.
IMO, Look into spending most of your budget on the speakers then look for cheap used amp to keep you satisfied until you can spend more. Who knows, in a short time you may be looking at a 5.1 system, so at least then your front speakers would be more than adequate.
I don't mind the idea of starting with a good 2.0 and later upgrading as well .
The idea of two good towers sounds intriguing and then later getting a good subwoofer .
Y'all think this is a good idea ?

Thanks everyone for the input.
post #10 of 17 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Well, I wouldn't buy something temporary...you could either buy a pair of bookshelf speakers now and if you want to do so, move them to surrounds when you have a bigger room or get tower now to get better bass and forget the subwoofer until you are in the new space. But either way, you should figure out what you want and start building the pieces now. otherwise, you will go down the "upgrade-it is" road and that road has a very steep toll!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only
post #11 of 17 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Well, I wouldn't buy something temporary...you could either buy a pair of bookshelf speakers now and if you want to do so, move them to surrounds when you have a bigger room or get tower now to get better bass and forget the subwoofer until you are in the new space. But either way, you should figure out what you want and start building the pieces now. otherwise, you will go down the "upgrade-it is" road and that road has a very steep toll!
I agree with everything you said . Whatever I get , I don't want anything temporary . I want it to be part of the same system that I continue to build . I like the idea of getting two towers if I'm to wait on the subs .
Few questions ,
1. What towers would y'al recommend I look into ?
2. Should I get a 4k receiver ? Or is the 4k content yet not worth it and I should save those extra few hundreds .?
3. When I do decide to go for a sub ? What should I look for ?
post #12 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xReMaKe View Post
I agree with everything you said . Whatever I get , I don't want anything temporary . I want it to be part of the same system that I continue to build . I like the idea of getting two towers if I'm to wait on the subs .
Two towers no and no sub until later = makes sense if you're a big music listener, and if your music isn't particularly bass heavy (no house, techno, EDM, etc.).

For HT, a well chosen $600 sub with a $200-300 pair of bookshelf speakers would easily crush any pair of tower speakers, even those costing up to your budget maximum of $1500.
post #13 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Two towers no and no sub until later = makes sense if you're a big music listener, and if your music isn't particularly bass heavy (no house, techno, EDM, etc.).

For HT, a well chosen $600 sub with a $200-300 pair of bookshelf speakers would easily crush any pair of tower speakers, even those costing up to your budget maximum of $1500.
I see . So bookshelf > Towers of the same price for movies and bass heavy music . Which is what I like , so what subs & bookshelf would you recommend ? So I can start reading reviews ? Thank you for you input.
post #14 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I went about it like this, I picked up the svs satelites for fronts center and surrounds, with an svs pb2000 sub. My plans was to either get another pair of svs satelites for atmos duties if i like how everything sounds or if my budget allows I can get a dedicated svs prime center with either a set of svs prime towers or svs prime bookshelves for the front stage and move my svs prime satelites for atmos work. I'm in process of running set up process.I think im leaning towards dedicated center and towers. I'm a tower guy...

Last edited by david8613; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see . So bookshelf > Towers of the same price for movies and bass heavy music . Which is what I like , so what subs & bookshelf would you recommend ? So I can start reading reviews ? Thank you for you input.
The EMPTeks I recommended earlier would be the best in terms of price (especially their purported B-stock prices) AND looks. Less attractive looking but probably even more accurate and neutral would be the Ascend CBM-170SE ($300) or its bigger brother the CMT-340SE ($500) which can be easily converted into a tower with their OEM pedestal stands later on, and would have no problem filling up a huge room with clear natural sound.

There's also the Philarmonic Audio AA ($200) which has the most usable mid-bass of any bookshelf speaker in its price range.

For the sub, the Rythmik LV12R is probably the best value at the moment and does both music and HT well. Hsu and SVS subs as well are worth looking into.

Good place to start just to familiarize yourself with much of what's available is this mega-comparison thread: 2.0 Bookshelf Compared! Wharfedale, Philharmonic, Chane, MusicHall, Elac, Energy, Kef
xReMaKe likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old Today, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

I see . Thanks for the informative post .
I'll read up on all the ones you mentioned including the mega thread .
post #17 of 17 Unread Today, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

From reading throughout the day and the last few hours I have so far come up with the following .

For the bookshelf speakers , from reading through the other thread posted in here I'm leaning towards the wharefedale 10.2 .Really wanted to see a comparison with the empteks unfortunately he hasn't reviewed it yet , and I can't find a good one , but I'll keep looking .

If I was to go the diamond 10.2 route , that'd put me at $380 for speakers .
Receiver I'd go with the denon x2100 $400 .
Which leaves me with the subwoofer which I've got it down to two. The SVS 1000 $500 or PB2000 $800.

Puts me a little under 1600 with the 2000 or a little under 1300 with the 1000.

This is just what I've come up with so far , anyone think I should make any changes or any other recommendation I'll continue to listen/research anything that anyone has to say . Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers