How do you like the Bic FH6-LCRs for HT use? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 621
How did you (or anyone else who has these) find the sensitivity of these? Do they play louder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
How did you (or anyone else who has these) find the sensitivity of these? Do they play louder?
Depends on the sensitivity of other speakers it's being compared to. The FH6-LCR was definitely louder than the 87 dB speaker I replaced.

I have no complaints. Even no complaints with male voices with the FH6-LCR as a center. I run my speakers full range and I upped the dB of certain frequencies in my receiver's equalizer after running MCACC.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
A surprise was delivered today, I got my FH6 3 days earlier than expected. Bonus points to Walmart for that.

Just hooked it up about so here are some initial thoughts -

- solid, heavy and well built, well packed
- it plays louder than my old speaker (which were bookshelves used as center channel), but not as loud as I exepcted. For comparison, previous center sensitivity was 90dB, this one is 95dBb. I think the actual sensitivity is lower than advertised, certainly not near 95dB
- the sound is a bit fuller. I don't really know the right term to describe it. I have sub crossed over at 80Hz so its not the bass, I guess its midrange
- difference in female voices is less apparent
- I have yet to test with any material that pans across the front so I can test if the timbre mismatch is a factor

These are just quick impressions.
I received my FH6 this morning and have been playing Pandora to it full range for about an hour now. I plan on just letting it play throughout the whole day until a movie night tonight. I agree with some of your initial impressions....

-I've only tried music so far, so my impressions are only based on that. I also haven't ran Audyssey to calibrate. I plan on doing that tonight.
-Definitely not 95db. I've been comparing it to my Pioneer BS 22 which is rated at 85db, and no way this is 10db higher in sound. Granted I set up my FH6 where my center channel was so Audyssey still thinks it's my Pioneer center. I bet it's around 91-92db.
-The FH6 is much more forward and crisp than my Pioneer. It's funny how much more muted and dull the pioneer sounds next to this speaker. There were times, however, during the song "Style" by Taylor Swift (pandora...no, I'm not a swift follower) that I almost cringed a few times due to the brightness of her singing. But, there were also times where it sounded more lively than the Pioneer. I think comparing these two speakers goes to show how much more the Pioneer would be suited for music since it's sooo neutral and bland. It has no sparkle, just plays what it's given, which isn't necessarily bad. I think giving this speaker more time to break in could help it.
-The bass...Not terrible, not amazing. It was maybe slightly lower in output compared to the Pioneer, but there was a time where I had the FH6 playing downstairs and when upstairs thought, "Hmm, did I turn off the sub? (Since I want it to break in full range)." I thought the sub was playing, but it was off, which is a good sign

I plan on posting a video to show/hear the differences between the two sometime later today.
chadsmith013 likes this.

post #34 of 42 Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Bic's all take some serious play time to break in. They will soften up some and get louder. Spend some time setting up your EQ levels for each speaker if your receiver has the capability. They will conform to the sound you want. I love my Bic's and am adding 4 more and a stand alone amp to my arsenal in a few weeks after we move to our new house. I can't wait!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine.
chadsmith013 and Lp85253 like this.

My setup:

Yamaha RX-V773 with WIFI & Bluetooth

Bic Acoustech PL-28 II center

Bic Acoustech PL-76 Newversion tower fronts

Bose 601 Series IV towers rear

Cerwin-Vega ATS-SAT4 front presence

Advent ASW-1200 sub

post #35 of 42 Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
How are you liking the fh6 lcr?
post #36 of 42 Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 AM

Liked: 15
FH6 as center L and R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
At least 30 days full refund with the receipt, same as with anything else in the store. Beyond 30 days and up to 90 days I think they'll give you a store credit.
Well now that I've found this thread... Turns out I badly need to upgrade my subwoofer and center. Instead of 2 PL89IIs, think I willl go with 3 FH6s for front and invest in a HSU MK2 or MK4 sub. I have not owned any horn speakers before so this should be a fun adjustment.
This is what I get for following Zorbas posts around the forums lol. Guess the biggest thing I've learned is a quality sub seems to a cornerstone

Johnson Cinema
Bic-FH6-LCR Main, Center
Bic PL-66 Surround/Side
Niles DS8HD Atmos /PB-2000/PS4
Benq W1080ST /Clark Synthesis Shakers
Platinum, Gold, Silver x2 Buttkicker BK-LFE
post #37 of 42 Old 03-17-2016, 05:59 AM

two further questions

Forgot to ask.. Is the BicFH6T the same speaker just in a tower? and do the FH6LCR need to be put on stands to get to ear level?

Thanks

Johnson Cinema
Bic-FH6-LCR Main, Center
Bic PL-66 Surround/Side
post #38 of 42 Old 03-17-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronnie23 View Post
Forgot to ask.. Is the BicFH6T the same speaker just in a tower? and do the FH6LCR need to be put on stands to get to ear level?

Thanks
I cant say for certain but they certainly appear to be the same equipment in each...for the cost of the FH6 and stands, i just went ahead and got the towers and I have no issues with them..my only thing is they are slightly thin and looks like they could fall over, but no issues yet. I thoroughly enjoy them.
post #39 of 42 Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
They are not the same speaker. The towers are ported and the FH6LCR is sealed. I am using the FH6LCR as a center and the FH6T as LRs and the difference in bass response (to the ear) is tremendous. I'm pleased with the center, but I don't think I would be happy with it as my LRs. Specs are a bit different as well.
post #40 of 42 Old 03-17-2016, 04:28 PM

Bass response

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPearl View Post
They are not the same speaker. The towers are ported and the FH6LCR is sealed. I am using the FH6LCR as a center and the FH6T as LRs and the difference in bass response (to the ear) is tremendous. I'm pleased with the center, but I don't think I would be happy with it as my LRs. Specs are a bit different as well.
Im hoping with a Hsu Mk4 I would not notice the lack of bass

Johnson Cinema
Bic-FH6-LCR Main, Center
Bic PL-66 Surround/Side
post #41 of 42 Old 03-17-2016, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Im hoping with a Hsu Mk4 I would not notice the lack of bass
One can hope. Since I only have one I can't tell how it would sound as LRs. Im crossing my all the fronts over to a PB1000 at 80hz and the FH6-LCR has a noticeably different bass sound than the towers. It works great and produces extremely clear vocals, just different than the FH-6T.
post #42 of 42 Old 03-18-2016, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have been using 3 FH6-LCR for about 2 months. I can hear more from the center than LR. I have a Denon-S910W. I am using BIC F-12. I feel that my LR are not putting out sound as much as my center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page