JBL Vs. Bose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-08-2003, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally was going to go with Klipsch but unfortunately something came up which made my budget lower. So I started looking at these 2 brands JBL and Bose. Basically after listening to alot of speakers in my new budget these 2 stood out. However the 2 particular models that stood out were

JBL ND310II and Bose 701 II

Now they didnt sound as great as the Klipsch but they sounded good in everything I threw at them. But I've been doing research on this forum and others and it seems nobody really likes the Bose speakers and JBL I seem to get the feeling people are neutral on it.

So basically I'm asking for your opinions on the speakers both the actual model and the brand. They're within the same price point for me and both sounded great but I'd like to know which ones you'd go with and why

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-08-2003, 05:07 PM

While, participants in this forum can give you their opinions about what they like, you are the one who will need to live with the result of your choice.

If you truly like what you hear and are happy with either the Bose or JBL, why would you care what anyone else thinks?

Steve
post #3 of 23 Old 03-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

In my opinion Bose likes gimmicks I think because they help sell product. One thing to note is there's almost no substitute for comparing them with your own ear. I say almost, only because speakers are easily measured with the right instruments and can show a "colorful" speaker for what it is. Generally they are not supposed to "color" the sound, though sometimes the color a speaker adds can help the room by chance. Put your ears on and enjoy your self, speakers are fun.
post #4 of 23 Old 03-08-2003, 08:12 PM

Nightstriker, another thought. Is there some reason you have limited your choices to JBL and Bose? The Bose 701s retail for about $798.

Another speaker you might want to check out in this price range is the Mirage Omni 250. They retail for about the same price. Check out the on-going Omnisat thread for forum opinions. http://www.miragespeakers.com

Steve
post #5 of 23 Old 03-08-2003, 08:22 PM
dsa

I would have to agree with martin5 [Steve], ultimately you have to live with the speakers that you choose. Although, I have yet to hear a pair of Bose speakers (or equipment) that I could live with, but that's just me.

Whatever you do make sure you get a money back guarantee no strings attached with whatever you purchase. Better yet, try and get a pair of speakers that you are interested in and see if a dealer will let you try them at home before you purchase. Try a pair that have been run for while (not just out of the box) to see how they sound in your home.

Daniel S. Allan
post #6 of 23 Old 03-08-2003, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well basically both the bose and the jbl have great sound but my true intention was to find out which was the better company really. I've been hearing a lot of different things about each company. Now of course I know that its what sounds good to the ear that counts. Now I love the klipsch, they're great speakers but for the moment they cant fit in the budget.

The reason for this is because I reside in Canada where everything is extremly expensive. Now the mirage I have listened to and I was not impressed, I always have a certain way of demoing the speakers (DVD and certain music and depending on the dealer games) However after a day of demoing I came across one dealer who after talking for a good bit was going to give me an excellent deal on Bose or JBL speakers or any speaker for that matter but the Bose and JBL where the best deals because he fit it right under budget which will allow me to spend the extra money I save on the new carpet that I orginally wasn't going to get, along with other things (better seating) Which to me is extremly important.

That's why I posted was to find out who was the better company. I'd be happy with either one but I'd like to get the brand that'll do great.

One thing that the gentleman told me about was how the Bose set of speakers are both front and rear or something (sorry not up on speakers 100%) where sound comes from the rear of the speaker as well. I don't know if that makes sense but if it does then is that really all that great?
post #7 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You really have to listen to them. If you want to find out which is the better company, you could search on Harman International, parent company of JBL, check their stock price, SEC filings, financial reports etc. Both companies are old, famous and large in the speaker business. JBL has about 70% of the motion picture cinema market for theater speakers, and a large presence in pro audio, recording studios, concert sound systems.

Neither brand today conjures up the image of an audiophile brand, which is an unfortunate byproduct of their success in applealing to large markets, whereas audiophilia thrives in acceptance among the elitists of esoteric brands produced in much smaller numbers.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 07:46 AM

Nightstriker, to shed some light on what your sales person was trying to convey. The Bose and JBL speakers employ two different approaches to reproducing music.

The JBL employs a more direct radiating approach, where the speakers are aimed directly at the listener. You will find that the large majority of speaker manufacturers employ this approach. This approach tends to minimize early reflections as the dominant sound reaching a listeners ear.

On the other hand the Bose employ an often controversial approach of aiming speakers away from the listener so that reflected sound is the dominant sound reaching a listeners ear. Proponents of this approach feel that this more closely resembles what would be heard during a live performance. There are a handful of speaker manufacturers that employ this approach. In your price range, other than Bose, Definitive Technology and Mirage are the two that come immediately to mind.

Steve
post #9 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you live in Canada - you should check out Paradigm.

Sounds like they are in your budget!

Mike
post #10 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

^ sounds like you like em bright. CHECK OUT Paradigm... Paradigm's crazily cheap in Canada.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
If you are lucky... perhaps you can audition both sets in your home. That should be the best way to decide.

Also take into consideration which manufacturer provides the best warranty.

I can personally attest that Bose has been VERY responsive, professional and accomodating to me over the past 25 years.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
^ sounds like you like em bright. CHECK OUT Paradigm... Paradigm's crazily cheap in Canada.
Agreed! Also if you like 'em bright AND are in Canada, be sure to check Axiom...with a 30 day in home trial period, you can't go wrong. If you're in the US and don't like BRIGHT, you might also want to check out Rocket Loudspeakers and Ascend Acoustics...

I'm not sure what you like cuz Bose certainly isn't bright but Klipsch is...Bose is just well known for using paper cones in their speakers. Not good quality either if you've ever had a chance to open them up.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 02:45 PM

Bose is just well known for using paper cones in their speakers. Not good quality either if you've ever had a chance to open them up.

Mad Dog, why did you have do inject something like this into a perfectly good thread.

I don't see how anyone could make a blanket statement on the quality of a speaker based on materials that are used in the manufacture of that speaker. If I have learned anything over the years its that there are no absolutes when it comes to speaker design.

Steve
post #14 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martins5
Bose is just well known for using paper cones in their speakers. Not good quality either if you've ever had a chance to open them up.

Mad Dog, why did you have do inject something like this into a perfectly good thread.

I don't see how anyone could make a blanket statement on the quality of a speaker based on materials that are used in the manufacture of that speaker. If I have learned anything over the years its that there are no absolutes when it comes to speaker design.

Steve
Steve,

Because it's the truth.

Have YOU ever opened up a Bose speaker? I have...I was given a pair of 901s when someone moved and at the time, I still thought Bose was a very good speaker... I set them up in my parents system and they sounded good. however, the cones were regularly bottoming out at moderate volume levels so I figured something had to be wrong and took the speakers apart...what i found after opening the speakers surprised me. the woofers were of VERY low quality. now there are still great speakers being made using doped paper cones but Bose is certainly not one of them. Now I made no comment on their sound quality, did I? I commented on the quality of their paper cones. Why you would take offense to that comment, I have no idea.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 05:26 PM

While I don't car what a speaker is made of I certainly do care what a speaker sounds like......In my opiniona speaker should be ACCURATE.....accurate,as in sounding true to what it is given.....some instuments sound bright(they should)......I think there are too many opinions with different definitions......"bright" being one that really stands out......bright could mean "sharp, and almost painful"......or bright could mean the "revealing of high frequencies"......myself, I want to hear what the instrument sounds like.....whether it be painful or smooth......we all prefer different instruments and this is one reason why......we like different sounds.......If one likes a "rolled off top end" doesn't that say that they prefer something not so shrill, and not so "real"?.....I know of one band that stated when comparing SS to tubes, that.......SS is what they sound like, very realistically.....Tube is what they would like to sound like, but they don't. This is not an arguement for either.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well almost every cheap speakers use paper cones, while most good speakers don't, so exceptions aside, pointing out the construction of the speaker cones aint a crime. I personally have been horrified by the whole direct reflecting concept since a friend in college in 1981 had me come listen to his dorm walls. "... you mean .. you want me to listen to the music after it bounced off a wall"?
post #17 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 07:21 PM

Mad Dog, I've owned the 901 series III for 18 years and the series VI for the last 7 years. The only time I've bottomed my series VI speakers was when I fed them a 25 Hz test tone at a 90+ db level during some testing I was doing. By reducing the volume slightly, they did a respectable job at 25 Hz, although port chugging was audible.

At 32 Hz, my hearing gave out at about 96 db with no sound of strain other than faint port chugging if I got close to the speaker. I can shake my media room with the Star Wars I Pod Race scene using the 901s without my subwoofer. Thus far I have never come close to bottoming out the 901s with anything other than the 25 Hz test tone mentioned above.

I've recently purchased the Mirage OM-5s to replace my 901s and have spent a considerable amount of time comparing the 2 in my listening environment. Most Bose bashers would be surprised at how well the 901s compare with the OM-5s, when set up properly.

By the way, the 901s don't have any woofers or tweeters. Just 9 identical 4 inch paper cones.

Steve
post #18 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mad Dog, I've owned the 901 series III for 18 years and the series VI for the last 7 years. The only time I've bottomed my series VI speakers was when I fed them a 25 Hz test tone at a 90+ db level during some testing I was doing. By reducing the volume slightly, they did a respectable job at 25 Hz, although port chugging was audible.

At 32 Hz, my hearing gave out at about 96 db with no sound of strain other than faint port chugging if I got close to the speaker. I can shake my media room with the Star Wars I Pod Race scene using the 901s without my subwoofer. Thus far I have never come close to bottoming out the 901s with anything other than the 25 Hz test tone mentioned above.

I've recently purchased the Mirage OM-5s to replace my 901s and have spent a considerable amount of time comparing the 2 in my listening environment. Most Bose bashers would be surprised at how well the 901s compare with the OM-5s, when set up properly.

By the way, the 901s don't have any woofers or tweeters. Just 9 identical 4 inch paper cones.

Steve
Steve,

i figured you were a Bose owner which is why you would take offense to my pointing out that the components used are cheap. again, i am not attacking the brand of speaker but simply pointing out a true fact. again, i never mentioned anything about how they sounded because i honestly thought they sounded fine. i was just surprised that the cones on their top-o-the-line speaker bottomed out when fed moderately loud volumes of music driven by a 55W denon 2ch receiver is all. that led me to open the grilles that were stapled down revealing the "non-woofers."

yes, you are absolutely correct that the 901s have 9 identical 4 inch paper cones, woofer/tweets, or whatever you'd like to call the cheap paper cones. but regardless of however you'd like to phrase it, there's no denying that the cones used in the 901s are cheap. just point out the facts is all.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 08:31 PM

Mad Dog, my comments had nothing to do with the equipment I own. It was in response to a general observation I have made in most forums and newsgroups I frequent.

No matter how professional a thread containing the mention of a Bose product begins, an audiophile can't resist the temptation to interject a derogatory comment totally unrelated to the subject of the thread.

The point I was trying to make was that this thread had a very good give and take going regarding various recommendations, and hopefully providing useful information to make an informed decision.

I didn't feel that your opinion - not fact - stating the Bose (or any manufacturer for that matter) produces inferior products based on the type of material they use, was relevant in the context of this thread.

I don't wish to get into a Bose bashing debate with you so if you feel you must, you can have the last word.

Steve
post #20 of 23 Old 03-09-2003, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well so far the replies I've been getting have been very informative and good recommendations. Now it is true I do live in Canada and its also true that I do like the speakers bright. When I'm not watching movies or playing games I'm listening to music, myself I like all kinds of music but classical and music with female vocals are really what I perfer.

When I originally tested out the klipsch, I also tested paradigm and mirage speakers. Thats when I settled on the klipsch, I found that the paradigm speakers did not sound all that great, they were hooked up to the Denon 3803 (which is the receiver I'm getting) Mirage on the other hand sounded decent but the Klipsch I found out performed them.

Now unfortunately as something serious came up, I am unable to go to the speakers I want as they are now out of the HT budget. Thats when I went back and I demoed speakers within my new budget. JBL and Bose were the ones that stood out for me. Now the one recommendation of axiom was it, sounds intriguing. I never heard of them (but that doesn't mean anything lol) How does the 30 day home trial work exactly?

Anyways I want to thank everyone so far as this has been very informative and I am hoping to get more opinions, especially with JBL and Bose.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-10-2003, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NightStriker
...Now the one recommendation of axiom was it, sounds intriguing. I never heard of them (but that doesn't mean anything lol) How does the 30 day home trial work exactly?
NightStriker,

Check out their website...

http://www.axiomaudio.com/

Axiom audio sells their speakers direct to the consumer via the internet so they are able to offer TREMENDOUS value to the consumer as they are cutting out the middle man. Based on your preference for brighter speakers, these should be right up your alley and for the same amount of $$$, you should be able to get a product that is superior to either of what JBL or Bose can offer at the same price.

So how does the 30 day in home trial work? You order up the speakers you want, they ship them to your home, you try them out. If you like them, you keep them. If you don't, you simply box them up and pay return shipping to ship them back. Most importantly, you'll be able to audition some fine speakers in your OWN HOME and decide if they work for you in your own ENVIRONMENT. If they don't work, all you are out of is return shipping. Now I have not heard the Axioms before, but based on what I have read about them, they are on the brighter side so I do believe you will find them to your liking. From what I have read, their customer service is AWESOME as well. There are a number of AVS forum members who own their products who should be able to give you feedback from their experiences. Hope this has been informative and helpful. Good luck!
post #22 of 23 Old 03-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mad Dog, my comments had nothing to do with the equipment I own. It was in response to a general observation I have made in most forums and newsgroups I frequent.

No matter how professional a thread containing the mention of a Bose product begins, an audiophile can't resist the temptation to interject a derogatory comment totally unrelated to the subject of the thread.

The point I was trying to make was that this thread had a very good give and take going regarding various recommendations, and hopefully providing useful information to make an informed decision.

I didn't feel that your opinion - not fact - stating the Bose (or any manufacturer for that matter) produces inferior products based on the type of material they use, was relevant in the context of this thread.

I don't wish to get into a Bose bashing debate with you so if you feel you must, you can have the last word.

Steve
martins5:

Am I correct that you can read and you don't need glasses? If the latter is true, you need to re-read Mad Dog's comments. He did not say they were inferior products. He positively commented on their sound. The only real negative was on the quality of the components, specifically the drivers, which you do not seem to deny, but are taking offense to. And his statements had everything to do with the topic of this thread. Take a look at the subject, it mentions Bose.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-10-2003, 01:28 AM

Nightstriker,
Having listened to Kliptch, Bose, JBL's in the last 2 months my observations were: Kliptch = very bright (due to the horns) and needed a sub-woofer.
Bose = bright (but more neutral) not as lively as Kliptch
JBL = more pronounced mid's and lower end. probably the most well
rounded of the 3. (try the Studio series S310II's)

basically...if you like Klipch tone, the Bose sound closer than the JBL's.
it al boils down to what your ear likes!!!...personally i like the JBL's for 2 channel stereo music. i'd rather have my chest thump from more bass than my ears ring from shrill highs. but thats just me and my opinion only!

good luck!

ken
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page