Looking for help on my theater setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for help on my theater setup

I am creating my theater room for my house in my basement. The dimensions are 30x10. The theater portion is in essentially a 15ft. x 10ft. space. With the 10 ft. portion being the space from my TV to the back wall where my couches are about 1-2 ft. off the wall.

Current Setup:
Center: Klipsch Center Channel RC35 (based on some of the threads I have read should I consider replacing?)
Front: I purchased Klipsch Pro 4650 2 way ceiling speakers (reconsidering this and potentially putting them in above the couches.)
Rear: Bose 161 (considering moving these to fronts)
Subwoofer: BIC F-12 12" 475W Front-Firing Powered Subwoofer
TV: 60" Samsung LED
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V679BL 7.2-Channel MusicCast AV Receiver with Bluetooth (just purchased on amazon for $399)

Ideally I would like to spend under $300 for either bookshelf speakers to complement the center channel or using the bose speakers as fronts and buying new surrounds to mount behind the couches. Is there something I should be doing differently or any advice on speakers I should purchase/replace?

I was looking on Amazon and they have the Klipsch R-14M's or the R-15M's at under $300.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-28-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
1. You never, ever want to use ceiling speakers for your fronts. That is a disaster. So yes, move them to surround or Atmos duty if you are unable to return or resell them.

2. Keep the Bose 161 as surrounds, that's the most I would ever use them for.

3. If you have no trouble understanding dialogue with the RC35 without needing to crank up the volume, then keep it. If you do, then replace them...the center is the workhorse of any HT system, so make sure it can fulfill its one simple function to your satisfaction.

4. If you want to go with Klipsch speakers for your surrounds, I'd recommend the new Reference Premiere series over the old model lines. And I'd recommend ordering from Crutchfield since they give you a flat $10 return shipping rate in case you don't like the speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc..._speakers.html
audiofreak38 and ManBarra like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Agree with Zorba; keep the Bose for surrounds.

These are only on sale through tomorrow at Crutchfield so I would jump on them ASAP; your current center should be fine IMHO...and if not you can always upgrade to an RP center down the road.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP15...ry.html?tp=186
post #4 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the bookshelf speakers. The wife gave the no go on the Cherry ones. Looks like the black RP-15's arent on sale. Would you go with the 16's over the 15's? I am concerned about space but the price difference is $20. Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcates View Post
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the bookshelf speakers. The wife gave the no go on the Cherry ones. Looks like the black RP-15's arent on sale. Would you go with the 16's over the 15's? I am concerned about space but the price difference is $20. Thanks again.
Surprisingly almost no difference in bass extension; 64hz vs. 62hz but might have a fuller mid range sound with the larger cabinet.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I was going to ask this before. Everything I have read says that I want to match my center channel brand to the fronts brand. Do you subscribe to that as well or should I consider other brands?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that if you like the Klipsch sound they are perfect for home theater due to their high sensitivity.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok great really appreciate the help.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
I was going to ask this before. Everything I have read says that I want to match my center channel brand to the fronts brand. Do you subscribe to that as well or should I consider other brands?
Yes most would say that keeping your L/C/R left, center, and right are very important to the front sound stage, and keeping within the same brand.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-30-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
So long as the center channel actually provides decent VOICE CLARITY (meaning, you don't have to crank up the volume just to understand the darn dialogue) then sure why not, if you want to follow conventional wisdom. But some center channels are notoriously incompetent at that one simple function, in which case I'd happily toss the "timbre matching" myth out the window and finding a center that IS competent...having a "timbre matched" front stage that produces muddy or garbled dialogue is absolutely useless...a complete waste of money and space.
audiofreak38 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page