Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #391 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May I ask for some links where we 'bashed' someone?

Owner - Skiing Ninja Systems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lew Crippen
Posted on June 6 by Wildcat
"Given the fact that both of you follow each and every Rocket thread on this board with a magnifying glass"

Myself didn't mean to. I like people recommend good systems, but going to the extreme is a different story. Given that straight opinions are not welcome, from now on I'll try to stay away from onix related threads.

You are now at 24 out of 27 posts (I might be one or two off) dealing with Rockets.

I’m just curious as to how your ‘straight opinions’ and ‘staying away’ and ‘didn’t mean to’ reconcile with your actual posting activity. Perhaps you can enlighten us.
Appreciate you pointing this all out...

To me it's kind of strange... I was just on another site (competing brand) where our Rocket Hype thread was pointed to (after everyone agrees that their site is great because of the *information* being shared is so positive) as being not too cool because of our "marketing"...

I was also called to task from a poster that frequents avs as wondering why I would even reply to his opinion (which was not good) about our finish of the HSU subwoofers... Who else but me SHOULD reply to this sort of thing... and I was so polite so as to not say his opinion was wrong... just that it looked good to others (as well as to me)...

I was also called to task for even being here to reply to people, or how I did so with a positive spin (so to speak) for my (our) products... I wonder how many of these end users have actually owned businesses for themselves... I care deeply... and I hope it shows...

The real deal is (here) these folks have decided that we are ONLY here for marketing... and self promotion etc. They never bother to read the 90% percentile of *my* posts that deal with matters far outside these bounds.

They know I will reply... and they delight in it (truth is --- I do too)... I really do want to share my opinions...

Most of the Rocket love stories have vacated the realm of the avs forums... and this more than anything else makes these guys happy... You see... they think they've won... The truth is our sales are growing every day... and our product speaks for itself (they hardly *need* me)... and every time they speak out... I'm here (or others) to reply in kind when warranted.

I long for the days when it was different... but most of the folks that love our products say so on the av123 forums now... Cool...

... oh... and my FAVOURITE part is the "straight opinions" comment... how can one offer any sort of opinion on ANY product without trying it first... This one really just escapes me...

Oh well... another day... another post of the Rocket Hype thread...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #393 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildcat
A good sign of this is that, whenever an opposite opinion presents, bashes will folow by the same group of users or reps :)
Opposite oppinions are welcome, in fact encouraged. If that's all they are.
That's how we can learn.

Audio/Video/HD/HT addict
post #394 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 02:39 PM
MRL
AVS Special Member

Infact I can remember quite a few threads where Mark (the owner) has spoken highly of other brand speakers. I think you guys need to get off your bar stools awhile and be grateful that someone with alot of knowledge about speakers of all kinds is willing to take the time to enlighten us all a bit. I have never read one of his posts and thought he was trying to make a sale. I know there are all types in this world and thats what makes the world go around, but please take a minute and think before you publicy put your foot in your mouth.
Disclaimer: I dont work for Onix, Don't know anyone from there except by a few emails, and don't even own any of their products as of yet.
post #395 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Wildcat,

I'm still waiting for your recommendations for speakers one should audition for around $2K (5 speakers) that fit the requirements that I listed...
post #396 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 07:29 PM
lei

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
Wildcat,

I'm still waiting for your recommendations for speakers one should audition for around $2K (5 speakers) that fit the requirements that I listed...

How about $1000 ?

3 pairs of AE AEGIS One for ~$600, use one/pair as central.
Adire Audio Rava sub, for ~$400.

Of course, for $2000, you are going to have many other choices from Paradigm, NHT, B&W, Klipsch, Ascend, and Axiom, etc.

If I have to chose, I'll go with two pairs of Dynaudio Audience 42 with the Audience central and an Adire Audio or Hsu sub, total around $2000.

lei
post #397 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mad Dog - sounds like you're looking for one of the Bose units. True, they don't come with wood veneer but a little contact paper in the "wood" of your choice can do wonders. And, if you don't like wood, you can try marble or cork coverings instead.

Wildcat may be able to provide more information on these choices. :D

Rick
post #398 of 415 Old 06-20-2003, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lei
How about $1000 ?

3 pairs of AE AEGIS One for ~$600, use one/pair as central.
Adire Audio Rava sub, for ~$400.

Of course, for $2000, you are going to have many other choices from Paradigm, NHT, B&W, Klipsch, Ascend, and Axiom, etc.

If I have to chose, I'll go with two pairs of Dynaudio Audience 42 with the Audience central and an Adire Audio or Hsu sub, total around $2000.
hi lei,

in the $2K price range for 5 speakers...none of the ones you mentioned come in a real wood veneer...

but i'm really waiting for Wildcat's expert recommendations since he seems to be so knowledgeable...
post #399 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Wildcat,

This is an awesome challenge! Let's see what he recommends.
post #400 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Here ya go Madog,.The only problem is there are six including the sub.

http://www.htdaudio.com/levelfoursets.html

http://store3.yimg.com/I/htd_1744_306594

Also 5 Norh 4.0s in wood with shielded center comes in under $900.

www.norh.com
post #401 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 46minaudio

www.norh.com
46minaudio,

thanks...

hmmm....both are very interesting recommendations...

actually the norh 4.0s are $400/pr and $275 for the shielded center....

that would be a total of $1075 instead of $900. either way, it's still a great deal...would love to audition these...
post #402 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

www.norh.com
Love the norh...

Have you had experience with the htdaudio products 46minuteaudio? Just curious... I recognize these cabinets... ;)

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #403 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mark I bought a pair of Outdoor speakers for my boat from this company and am happy with them.I have not listened to any of the others.But I do love burl.We have a local craftsman that makes bowls from burl stumps and I own several.Any plans on you guys using burl? I do own a pair of 4.0s and am very happy with them.I think I am going to order the p-3000 2ch pre to mate with them.I am using an older Adcom GFA 1 and in need for remote..
post #404 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

actually the norh 4.0s are $400/pr and $275 for the shielded center....

that would be a total of $1075 instead of $900. either way, it's still a great deal...would love to audition these...
Actually to quote their website: "Special 4.0 (wood) Video System - 2 pair nOrh 4.0, 1 nOrh 4.0 center US$ 850 "

so it's even cheaper, not more expensive.
post #405 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BradJudy
Actually to quote their website: "Special 4.0 (wood) Video System - 2 pair nOrh 4.0, 1 nOrh 4.0 center US$ 850 "

so it's even cheaper, not more expensive.
ahh, yes, you are correct! i missed that line! thanks.

but even at $1075, it sounds like an awesome deal...
post #406 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mark I bought a pair of Outdoor speakers for my boat from this company and am happy with them.I have not listened to any of the others.But I do love burl.We have a local craftsman that makes bowls from burl stumps and I own several.Any plans on you guys using burl? I do own a pair of 4.0s and am very happy with them.I think I am going to order the p-3000 2ch pre to mate with them.I am using an older Adcom GFA 1 and in need for remote..
Good Evening...

I bought a ton of this "walnut heart wood" (burl) that is TO DIE FOR...

My wife loves this finish... and it takes to our satin lacquer like you cannot believe... Maybe one day... I think I have enough for maybe 100 speakers mixed (not too sure)...

Thanks --- and I agree about norh... this is HONEST product (like the Ascend line)... and anyone should be proud of them... I heard a wonderful set over at jackman's in Chicago many months ago... and I've since heard another pair... they are fine products...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #407 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 06:10 PM

boy, the nOrh's have an unusual shape. can someone give us more information about them? components, driver size, listening reviews...
post #408 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 06:27 PM

OK, so now i got off my butt and read the site, so I have information on the size, etc, but how do they sound? TIA!
post #409 of 415 Old 06-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark L. Schifter

I bought a ton of this "walnut heart wood" (burl) that is TO DIE FOR...
Oooohh...sounds nice. I'd love to see a pair of Ref1s done up in that.

If it turns out well, maybe I'll bring my Ascend veneering project by AV123 when it's done. :)
post #410 of 415 Old 06-22-2003, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BradJudy
Oooohh...sounds nice. I'd love to see a pair of Ref1s done up in that.

If it turns out well, maybe I'll bring my Ascend veneering project by AV123 when it's done. :)
Cool...

Please do...

All the best... and good morning...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #411 of 415 Old 06-23-2003, 06:20 AM

Quote:
but i'm really waiting for Wildcat's expert recommendations since he seems to be so knowledgeable...
Sorry for the delay.

It should be the sounding not the real wood veneer finish that is important for speaker selection. However, if you believe in finish, here is a good set:

http://www.dulcet.com/product/htm/mview.php?id=57

Diva 4.1 HT system including sub can be purchased for $600 (MSRP) in China. Could you remind us for how much these were sold by ********** ? 3x ? Therefore, it is not necessary for an internet product to be priced lower than B&M. All depend on who sell it. It won't be a good deal until you can get a set of Rocket for similar price :p
post #412 of 415 Old 06-23-2003, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for the delay.

It should be the sounding not the real wood veneer finish that is important for speaker selection. However, if you believe in finish, here is a good set:

http://www.dulcet.com/product/htm/mview.php?id=57

Diva 4.1 HT system including sub can be purchased for $600 (MSRP) in China. Could you remind us for how much these were sold by ********** ? 3x ? Therefore, it is not necessary for an internet product to be priced lower than B&M. All depend on who sell it. It won't be a good deal until you can get a set of Rocket for similar price :p
The DIVA 4.1's in real rosewood were sold at $699 by us until we closed them out at $499... They are a fine product...

You seem to not know... or understand these products or their system pricing...

mls

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #413 of 415 Old 06-23-2003, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark L. Schifter
The DIVA 4.1's in real rosewood were sold at $699 by us until we closed them out at $499... They are a fine product...

You seem to not know... or understand these products or their system pricing...

mls
So, the 5.1 Diva HT system would cost close to $2000 from ********** compared to $600 MSRP in the original country.
post #414 of 415 Old 06-23-2003, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, the 5.1 Diva HT system would cost close to $2000 from ********** compared to $600 MSRP in the original country.
We never sold the original DIVA 5.1 HTS as we felt it was a poor value...

The units we sampled were in VINYL... not real rosewood...

You should check out the new DIVA products over at the audio insider... fine products... and plenty of good value...

Founder and President
Perpetual Technologies
post #415 of 415 Old 06-23-2003, 10:32 AM

Boy, I feel sorry for anyone trying to figure out if they are interested in Rockets by reading this thread, and happening into this “debate.†Just felt that I would like to submit a little common-man response of the sort I knew I looked for in this kind of thread.

I’ve had my Rockets (750/200/300s) for about 4 months now. Like Gordon, I bought them "sight unseen" based on reading.. I was willing to take the cost-risk of having to send them back. Hopefully you see the merit in their suggestions that if that risk is too high (for the entire set), then getting just one speaker is a less expensive risk way to try it. Or do try to locate someone nearby willing to let you listen. Keep a critical ear, and don’t let the “hype†suck you in. Same thing can be said for trolls however….

I don’t see the Rockets as a panacea, but my experience so far is fantastic. It was a radical sound-direction shift from my previous Klipsch Ref3 HT, My Klipschs could get by on a lot less power (btw, a really good point if you are trying to get by on a mid-priced AVR), however the Rockets just seem to thrive on power as I’m finding out by amping them separately.

Won’t go into a long audio review, but I find the bass taut, the mids lifelike, and the highs sweet. I’ve said that I miss some of the air (like in cymbals) I could hear with my Ref3s, but I do find that the balance across the audio spectrum more matches what I happen to use as a reference (Sennheiser HD600 headphones). The Rockets definitely allow a lot higher volume without stridency. And if you dig a little (which you’ll do if you’re seriously considering the Rockets), you’ll see that there are possible solutions to the "missing air" perhaps the 550s or the near-future ERT add-ons.

Two last things: First, the fit and finish on the Rockets is that of good-furniture – not vinyl or fabric, dull black, or oak-colored ash. Most speakers I’ve seen that looked this good were a *lot* more expensive.

And lastly, I’ll take the AV123 service over that I encounter in almost any store I’ve walked into. Whether it’s because of the policy set forth by the boss, because of the online business model (which I much suspect based on experience with SVS, Outlaw, Bettercables, etc.), or because they have the luxury of a product that sells itself; the sales personnel are more like advisors – they are just plain helpful. If the fact I’m not steaming about the sales people or wondering if I got ripped off means that I take a better frame of mind into my listening, maybe that’s part of the reason they just sound so good to me.

Hype, or trying to "pay forward" the favor I was done by previous posters - that's your challenge to figure out...

good luck,
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page