126Likes
post #1 of 406 Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Q Acoustics Owner's Thread

Just saw an ad on the What HiFi site announcing the availability of Q Acoustics speakers in the US. As such, an owner's thread is now appropriate. Please add your comments regarding any experiences you have had with Q Acoustics products. Here is the info: http://www.qacoustics.com/

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-15-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 406 Old 07-16-2016, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi,

It will be interesting to learn about US/North American responses to Q Acoustics speakers/products as over here in the UK, they pretty much consistently get Excellent & Best Buy status from various reviews sources for most of their line ups and are a quite well respected company.

Bazzy!
post #3 of 406 Old 07-18-2016, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello RayGuy

Many thanks for starting this Q Acoustics Owner's thread.

Naturally, we'll be pleased to answer any questions AVS Forum members may have regarding
Q Acoustics models.

Best regards

post #4 of 406 Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Acoustics View Post
Hello RayGuy

Many thanks for starting this Q Acoustics Owner's thread.

Naturally, we'll be pleased to answer any questions AVS Forum members may have regarding
Q Acoustics models.

Best regards
Welcome to the colonies! What took you so long?

One question, I do not see an option for the 7000i series on the website. Is it coming to the states?
post #5 of 406 Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Welcome to the colonies! What took you so long?

One question, I do not see an option for the 7000i series on the website. Is it coming to the states?
Hello RayGuy,

We didn't expect a question so fast

Regarding the 7000i Series speakers? The answer is we hope to introduce this model to the US market in the future. The United States is a very sophisticated consumer market, so introducing Q Acoustics products here is a big step for us. We're moving slowly because we don't want to make any mistakes and we presumed (perhaps wrongly) that the 'traditional' models would be the most popular.

We're very pleased to report that, even though we've been trading for less than one week, the 3020 and 3050 models are already selling very well - with the M4 soundbar in 3rd place.

Best regards
post #6 of 406 Old 07-19-2016, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello RayGuy,

We didn't expect a question so fast

Regarding the 7000i Series speakers? The answer is we hope to introduce this model to the US market in the future. The United States is a very sophisticated consumer market, so introducing Q Acoustics products here is a big step for us. We're moving slowly because we don't want to make any mistakes and we presumed (perhaps wrongly) that the 'traditional' models would be the most popular.

We're very pleased to report that, even though we've been trading for less than one week, the 3020 and 3050 models are already selling very well - with the M4 soundbar in 3rd place.

Best regards
You are quite right to be cautious. It's a different market with different needs. I just asked about the 7000i because it is a very attractive product, form-factor-wise as well as performance-wise. The AVS crowd may not be it's target market, per se, but there is a lot of call for WAF type products, and the 7000i should be a big player in that market. Apartment dwellers and those with smaller sized HT rooms should be prime candidates for it. Of course, going up against the likes of Bose's advertising budget is a challenge, but like the Cambridge Minx (lots of folks on that thread, if you are interested), there is a market, if you can survive until you create it.

Looking forward to hearing folks' response to your products. Really happy to see another player in the "more treble is not better treble" niche! Don't lose your European Sound roots in pursuit of Klipsch-like "success". Way too much of that in the world already!

Oh, and congrats on the auspicious start!

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-20-2016 at 12:22 PM.
post #7 of 406 Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, I'll bite.

During my last trip to London, I bought 5 Q Acoustics 3000-series speakers from a UK dealer (Sevenoaks in London Holborn) in January 2016, and brought them on the plane back to the US. I kept them in their shipping boxes, swaddled them in bubble-wrap, bag-wrapped 'em, and checked them as luggage. It was quite an adventure, and my spouse thought I was nuts for doing it. She was not entirely wrong.

Because I "imported" them 6 months before they opened their US operation, it is entirely possible that I am Q Acoustics' first US customer.

I had not listened to any Q Acoustics speakers live, personally, before buying them, but had read several favorable reviews; notably, Ed Selley's and several others, plus some thoughtful commentary in this and other forums. I felt that Q Acoustics met my key criteria: good sound at a comparatively affordable price point, with excellent wife acceptance factor (WAF).

So, here's the setup:

- Fronts: 2 x 3020 speakers (white)
- Center channel: 1 x 3090C speaker (white)
- Rears: 2 x 3010 speakers (white)
- Stands: 4 3000-series stands (white)
- Subwoofer: SVS SB-1000 (gloss white)

I went with all-white speakers because I like the look. It's actually quite hard to find clean, aesthetically pleasing bookshelf speakers in white, and the Q Acoustics speakers look fantastic. Great build quality, beautiful glossy finish, and with a very solid feel. I liked the magnetic speaker covers, which means four fewer holes in the front.

Instead of buying the standard 5.1 cinema pack (which includes 4 3010s), I was persuaded by what I'd read to select the 3020s for the fronts, with 3010s for the rears. As for the subwoofer, I didn't go with the Q Acoustics 3050. Most of the writeups for the Q Acoustics 3050 subwoofer suggested that it didn't go especially low. Also, the 3050 subwoofer (at least, at the time I was looking at it) was meant for the UK market, which meant that it shipped with a UK plug. I did buy a US "figure-8" power cable, which would have worked just fine (the subwoofer does 110V). However, I'd discovered the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, liked the reviews and commentary, and bought that instead.

The rest of the setup includes my Pioneer VSX-1020 AVR. I ran the MCACC calibration and hand-tuned the subwoofer settings. Because the speakers have a nominal impedance of 6Ω, and the run around the edge of the room is 30+ feet, I wired them with 16 AWG cables (from GLS Audio) and Sewell banana plugs. The living room they are in is half-glass, with hardwood floors, about 20' x 13' (275 square feet). The glass, obviously enough, reflects quite a bit of sound. I toed the speakers in a bit towards my "sweet spot" listening position.

Ok, so that's the setup. They look great. How do they sound?

Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt for two reasons... first, I had not been in the market for speakers for 15 years, and what these speakers replaced was not that great (4 Cambridge Soundworks satellites and a BassCube 10). I'd been used to bad sound. The second reason, of course, is good old confirmation bias... we tend to like what we buy. Human nature!

That aside, my impressions of the speakers are very positive. Before setting up the subwoofer, I listened to the 3020s in 2-channel mode and played a few personal "reference" recordings to see how they'd do without any subwoofer assistance (Duke Ellington "Typerturbably Blue"; Miles Davis "Freddie Freeloader", Milt Hinton "Jon John"). The bass response on the 3020s was better than I expected... the brochure says 64 Hz (about midway on an upright bass) but it felt a bit lower. After setting up the SVS with an 80 Hz crossover, it sounded fantastic.

The midrange was really nice, very clear. The high notes and percussion, in particular, sounded terrific. Songs like Massive Attack's "Paradise Circus" really show the speakers off to good effect. Stereo imaging is pretty good, but then again, I've been spoiled: when I was a lot younger a friend of mine invited me over to listen to some Miles Davis on his Quad ESL-63s, and the pinpoint imaging of those speakers dropped my jaw. These are not anywhere near that precise (obviously), but considering my modest setup, they do a fine job. I am very pleased with the sound.

I used "The Force Awakens" on Blu-Ray for my 5.1 test. It's a great demo disk in general, and it sounded terrific on my setup. The 3010s are good rear speakers; certainly, they are a huge step up from my old ones. The space battle scenes were immersive, dialogue was crystal clear, and the scenes with deep bass kicked ass. The bass response is a testament to the SVS sub, which works very well with these speakers. It's a really good-sounding movie-watching setup.

Overall, I am quite delighted with my purchase. I would recommend them highly. The look great, and sound great. Putting it another way: every time I get in my car and turn on the radio, or plug in my phone, or listen to my phone's speakers, I am now irritated in a way that I wasn't before — because it all sounds muddy or dull by comparison.

My only gripe with Q Acoustics is: what took you guys so long to come to the US?
post #8 of 406 Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Thank you for that

Hi arjav

Thank you so much for your wonderful post.

We can tell, from the way it's written, that you're obviously a person of high intelligence, great sophistication and exquisite taste. We suspect you're also very good looking. (Too much? )

We agree you're almost certainly the first person in the US to have Q Acoustics, so we're absolutely delighted to learn you're so pleased with them.

There's no doubt the SVS subwoofer is excellent and a perfect match with the Q Acoustics speakers. Many music and movie lovers in the UK use this combination.

One small point regarding Three Dimensional Soundstage. The 3020 is actually capable of producing startlingly good results (depending on source material etc.) We see you are using the 3000 Series speaker stands. It's worth double checking that the floor spikes correctly adjusted and tightened. May we also ask if you are using the rubber spike covers? If you are, please remove the rubber covers. They are there to prevent people scratching themselves when assembling and positioning the stands. The instruction manual also implies you can use them to protect floors. That is true, but, because it reduces the rigidity of the speaker and stand combination, it degrades soundstage and dynamics. Removing the rubber covers makes a big difference.

If you (understandably) wish to protect a cherished floor, please simply place a small metal disc under each spike. Small coins are perfect for this purpose.

Many thanks again,

Best regards

Q Acoustics
post #9 of 406 Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This year I took the plunge here in Australia, and upgraded to Q Acoustics speakers from previous Sonys, Eltacs and Wharfedales I'd had in the past.

I went for 3050s as the main fronts and surrounds, a 3090 centre, 3070 sub (later purchase - the Eltac and Sony subs were too weedy against the new speakers), and 3010s as the height/presence/ceiling Atmos/DTS:X speakers. I know the 3050s as surrounds was a slightly odd choice, but we have a cat and a dog, and them playing chase through a speaker stand gave me nightmares! I feel confident the 3050s will stand up to their antics.

It's the first speakers I've had that I loved the sound and my husband liked the appearance. In recent years, I'd lost out For once, we were both in agreement and they have been a brilliant investment. The only argument is over the grille - I'd rather not have it on, he'd rather have it on. I've let him win that one. The recent upgrade from a Denon AVR-X2200 to a Yamaha RX-A2050 has further lit up the speakers and they've really come to life.

Anyone thinking about going the Q Acoustics route, I can heartily recommend them. The almost too good to be true reviews do have some basis in fact for once! I'm glad I took the plunge on the brand I'd not heard of, but had stellar reviews from magazines and users rather than a big name I'd heard of and had very pretty looking speaker cones (yeah....). It doesn't matter whether we are throwing movies & TV at them, or grand opera or pop, they handle it all with great aplomb. Even the more unfavourably reviewed sub works great and sounds great once it's been calibrated properly and not just whacked in and hope for the best.
Broadus likes this.

LG OLED55C6T 4K HDR TV, Yamaha RX-A2050 Receiver, Q Acoustics 3010, 3050, 3070 and 3090 speakers, Yamaha YST-SW030 rear sub, Sony BDP-S6500 Blu ray, LG UP970 UHD, Fetch TV Mighty, IQ2HD, Apple TV Series 4, eeColor LUT+Lightspace HTL+i1Display Pro and DreamScreen.

Last edited by vollans; 08-02-2016 at 02:26 AM.
post #10 of 406 Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 AM

Hello Vollans,

Thank you for choosing Q Acoustics - and also thank you for posting such positive comments about your speakers - it's greatly appreciated.

Because we don't have the vast marketing budgets of some of our competitors, we very much rely on the 'word of mouth' comments from satisfied Q Acoustics owners to spread the word about our speakers.

Best regards

Q Acoustics
Jexiel Aviles and vollans like this.
post #11 of 406 Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 AM

Well, it worked! I had originally only planned to replace the front, centre and surround speakers, but the old subs and heights sounded so thin after that my budget rapidly became "what budget?". I'm hearing stuff I never heard before in tracks and videos I've watched a thousand times before.
Broadus likes this.

LG OLED55C6T 4K HDR TV, Yamaha RX-A2050 Receiver, Q Acoustics 3010, 3050, 3070 and 3090 speakers, Yamaha YST-SW030 rear sub, Sony BDP-S6500 Blu ray, LG UP970 UHD, Fetch TV Mighty, IQ2HD, Apple TV Series 4, eeColor LUT+Lightspace HTL+i1Display Pro and DreamScreen.
post #12 of 406 Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Well, it worked! I'm hearing stuff I never heard before in tracks and videos I've watched a thousand times before.
Hi Vollans,

That's wonderful news - many thanks for letting us know.

Best regards

Q Acoustics
post #13 of 406 Old 08-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Hi arjav

Thank you so much for your wonderful post.

We can tell, from the way it's written, that you're obviously a person of high intelligence, great sophistication and exquisite taste. We suspect you're also very good looking. (Too much? )

We agree you're almost certainly the first person in the US to have Q Acoustics, so we're absolutely delighted to learn you're so pleased with them.

There's no doubt the SVS subwoofer is excellent and a perfect match with the Q Acoustics speakers. Many music and movie lovers in the UK use this combination.

One small point regarding Three Dimensional Soundstage. The 3020 is actually capable of producing startlingly good results (depending on source material etc.) We see you are using the 3000 Series speaker stands. It's worth double checking that the floor spikes correctly adjusted and tightened. May we also ask if you are using the rubber spike covers? If you are, please remove the rubber covers. They are there to prevent people scratching themselves when assembling and positioning the stands. The instruction manual also implies you can use them to protect floors. That is true, but, because it reduces the rigidity of the speaker and stand combination, it degrades soundstage and dynamics. Removing the rubber covers makes a big difference.

If you (understandably) wish to protect a cherished floor, please simply place a small metal disc under each spike. Small coins are perfect for this purpose.

Many thanks again,

Best regards

Q Acoustics
Hi, Q Acoustics!

Thanks for replying to my post, and for the compliments. Everything you said about me — good taste, refinement, intelligence — is true, but there is some controversy about how good looking I am. Some say I have a face for radio.

In answer to your question: I had previously taken the rubber feet off of the speaker stands. I have not tried the coins under the spikes, but I might if the house-cleaners keep moving them around, as they seem to do, every few weeks.

Also: I did not mean to imply that the soundstage for the 3020s was poor. It is quite lifelike, and higher-quality recordings show it off to good effect. It is no shame, however, for it to be judged inferior to the soundstage of speakers that originally retailed for $6,000 a pair! I agree with poster 'vollans' — I am hearing things in my recordings and videos that I did not know were there.

I wish you much success in the US market.
vollans and Q Acoustics like this.
post #14 of 406 Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 201
arjav -

So I'm curious about your transfer. Was there any delays or questions or inspections? What about customs and taxes?

If you don't want to post, you can PM me. (I think you can with 2 posts here - maybe 3.)
post #15 of 406 Old 08-04-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
arjav -

So I'm curious about your transfer. Was there any delays or questions or inspections? What about customs and taxes?

If you don't want to post, you can PM me. (I think you can with 2 posts here - maybe 3.)
Hi Charmerci,

There were two parts to the transfer: getting the speakers out of the UK, and then getting them into the US.

First, the UK bit. There is nothing tricky about taking gear you purchased out of the country, as long as you can figure out a way to check them into your luggage. In my case, I used the original shipping boxes, reasoning that they were well-padded. I didn't even open them. All I did was get them bag-wrapped at the airport (the wrapping is semi-transparent film that gets spun around the packages). I did that partly to protect the shipping boxes from puncture, but mostly so that I could detect if the boxes had been tampered with.

The two other factors I considered were VAT rebate, and insurance. Because I am not an EU resident, I was eligible to get the VAT I'd paid on the purchase refunded (about 20% on top of the retail price). Every EU airport has a VAT-rebate queue, so I got in line and did it. Both the VAT rebate, and the bag-wrapping, took about 30 minutes. No big deal. For insurance, I took a look at the airline's built-in insurance policy and concluded it was good enough.

Second, the US bit. US customs laws exempts citizens from paying import duties on goods purchased abroad that cost $800 or less. The Q Acoustics speakers, after the VAT rebate, cost about $950. Including some other small things I'd purchased, the total for everything was like $1025. Because I am honest, I declared everything on the customs form, and figured I'd have to pay the required 3.6% electronics import duty on the way in.

After I landed, I collected my boxes, verified that nothing appeared damaged, loaded them onto a cart, and rolled up to the customs desk at the exit. I handed the customs agent the form. He looked at me, looked down at the speakers, looked back at me, and asked, "Are those for you?" I said yes; I purchased them on my trip. He looked back at me, said "Thanks for being honest" and waved me through.

In short: it wasn't too hard. But frankly, if I had known that Q Acoustics was planning to open a US distributorship, I would have waited. Ordering from Amazon is much less of a hassle. Still, I am glad I did it, because I learned a lot in the process. I suppose the knowledge should come in handy when I import those Fabergé eggs the next time I fly in from St Petersburg...
post #16 of 406 Old 08-04-2016, 06:44 PM

It's one of those funny things - I've often found that if you're only a little over the limit and are honest with customs (whatever the country), they often decide it's not worth the hassle of doing the paperwork for a small bit over and wave you through.
Broadus and arjav like this.

post #17 of 406 Old 08-05-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjav View Post
But frankly, if I had known that Q Acoustics was planning to open a US distributorship, I would have waited. Ordering from Amazon is much less of a hassle.
Hello everyone,

Thank you for contributing to this thread.

As you will know, RayGuy kindly initiated the thread because Q Acoustics speakers are now available in the US from our new website: qacoustics.com

They are also available from amazon.com , eBay.com and reverb.com

Best regards

Q Acoustics
post #18 of 406 Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Arjav, thanks for the info!
post #19 of 406 Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
First off, many thanks to RayGuy for starting this thread and to Q Acoustics for participating in it! I've had my eye on the 3050's for a little while now and have been trying to read as many professional and customer reviews as I can. The main thing I've taken from them is that these speakers have a "rich" sound, which is very appealing to me. I know that it was stated earlier in thread that the company is entering the U.S. market slowly, but I was wondering if any new floorstanders were in the works for the near future, a three-way perhaps?

Thanks for any information that you can provide!
post #20 of 406 Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 AM

Hi DB 47

Many thanks for considering Q Acoustics speakers.

if you missed it, the very first US review of the 3050 has been published by 'EnjoyTheMusic' and can be seen here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ker_Review.htm

On the same site, you can see a recent review by the respected British reviewer, Martin Colloms, writing in his 'HiFi Critic' magazine. It's also available from our site:
http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/themes/q...hificritic.pdf

I'm very pleased to say there are lots more overwhelmingly positive reviews of the 3050 available on the internet.

As to larger speakers: we are working on the 'Concept 500' (we showed a prototype at the Munich show in May). Estimated selling price is around $3000 per pair and we expect to release it early next year.

Like all Q Acoustics speakers; we expect it to be 'truly class leading' (I couldn't resist lapsing into 'marketing speak' for a moment )

Best regards

Steve Reichert

Q Acoustics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	concept_500_1.png
Views:	709
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	1609241  
post #21 of 406 Old 08-18-2016, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi DB 47

Many thanks for considering Q Acoustics speakers.

if you missed it, the very first US review of the 3050 has been published by 'EnjoyTheMusic' and can be seen here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ker_Review.htm

On the same site, you can see a recent review by the respected British reviewer, Martin Colloms, writing in his 'HiFi Critic' magazine. It's also available from our site:
http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/themes/q...hificritic.pdf

I'm very pleased to say there are lots more overwhelmingly positive reviews of the 3050 available on the internet.

As to larger speakers: we are working on the 'Concept 500' (we showed a prototype at the Munich show in May). Estimated selling price is around $3000 per pair and we expect to release it early next year.

Like all Q Acoustics speakers; we expect it to be 'truly class leading' (I couldn't resist lapsing into 'marketing speak' for a moment )

Best regards

Steve Reichert

Q Acoustics
Hi Steve!

Thanks for the quick response. The Concept 500's are out of my price range but I'm looking forward to seeing them. I've seen those reviews and agree that it's hard to find a negative thing said about the 3050's. I think What HiFi even docked the Wharfedale Diamond 230's a star because of them! I'm hoping to make a decision soon on speakers and Q Acoustics is the front runner. I've subscribed to this thread and am hoping more owners share their thoughts.

Thanks again!
Q Acoustics likes this.
post #22 of 406 Old 08-21-2016, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone here own Concept 40 floor standing ones? I'd love to hear comments/reviews from owners compared to other brands they have owned.

Are Q acoustics speakers carried by any stores in the US? Your website seems to have a restocking fee which is deterring.
post #23 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sorry, but surely I must win that prize...I hand-carried (yes, they were heavy!) a pair of beautiful glossy white 2050i floor-standers back with me in October 2013! I'm a Brit but live and work in Seattle now and was working for a UK-based company back then so was taking frequent trips back home. I just couldn't resist bringing a pair home!

I also went through the whole tax thing but the retailer (Forum Hifi) closed down before they were able to issue the tax refund to my credit card :-( Still, I'm happy with them.

I have them paired up with a Rythmik sub (I forget which one) and a Cambridge Audio 551R AVR. There's not much to to not like about it but I do find the center stage a bit muddy sometimes. That's the reason why I came back on here actually since I was looking on your website yesterday and noticed that you now ship to the US!

What would be your thoughts on pairing up the 3090c with the 2050is? I was thinking of getting one to go on top of the tv with this guy.

Thanks and good to see you guys over here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160825_123242.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1623161  
arjav likes this.
post #24 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3110 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by juveguy View Post
Does anyone here own Concept 40 floor standing ones? I'd love to hear comments/reviews from owners compared to other brands they have owned.

Are Q acoustics speakers carried by any stores in the US? Your website seems to have a restocking fee which is deterring.
Currently testing the Concept 20 bookshelves and even without a sub I'm liking what I'm hearing a lot, though I've got 70 more hours of breakin to go.

Great bang for the buck, if you like somewhat neutral treble you will like these speakers.

If you generally play music at relatively low levels then my Martin Logan LX16's are better for that but at higher than background levels the Concept 20's are impressing after just 3 hours.

Listening to "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats right now on them and even without a sub the punch is there and there is a solid soundstage with zero sibilance.

The cabinet construction is the real deal just as advertised on their website.

Right now I'm going to say the Concept 20 gives me B&W sound quality at about 1/2 the price.

I've owned B&W speakers since the mid 80's.

Also have Martin Logans and Ushers in the house.
Broadus and Q Acoustics like this.
post #25 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juveguy View Post

You did notice that those $1,200/pair speakers are currently on sale for $900, right?

I'd still get a sub with them though; if for music one that plays down to 30hz would be fine, if for movies 20hz would be the goal.
post #26 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinnydon View Post
What would be your thoughts on pairing up the 3090c with the 2050is? I was thinking of getting one to go on top of the tv with this guy.
I'm currently auditioning the 3090 along with the C20 and 3020. Just had about an hour on the 3090 last night since I was mostly listening to music, but the 3090 seems like a pretty decent center so far.

Unfortunately it doesn't come in any color other than Graphite, according to the QA website, so it won't match your white towers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #27 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't come in any color other than Graphite, according to the QA website, so it won't match your white towers.
That's exactly what is holding me from ordering one right now! I'm hoping it might match the bezel on my Samsung plasma but I'm going to be hooped if it doesn't.

EDIT: It does actually come in other colours. It just means a trip back home to pick one up though!
post #28 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's exactly what is holding me from ordering one right now! I'm hoping it might match the bezel on my Samsung plasma but I'm going to be hooped if it doesn't.

EDIT: It does actually come in other colours. It just means a trip back home to pick one up though!
PM Steve and see how he can get you the color you want even though it is not a stock US item yet.

He's got some pull as he is essentially the person that "voices" all of the speakers and they don't get finalized until he gives the OK.

From his e'mail to me:

"I hope it won't come as a surprise to learn that I'm particularly proud of Q Acoustics speakers. Launching its first products in 2006, it has genuinely shaken up the UK market and now sells in more than 60 countries around the world. I've been part of the design team and have 'voiced' every model to date. I have absolutely no technical knowledge whatsoever, but have been privileged to work with the world leading loudspeaker design team led by Karl-Heinz Fink in Essen, Germany. I simply tell them what I want the speaker to sound like. Karl-Heinz and his extraordinary colleagues are the technical geniuses that make it happen. The industrial design and styling is done in the UK. The technical design is carried out in Germany."

Last edited by gajCA; 08-25-2016 at 02:56 PM.
post #29 of 406 Old 08-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What would be your thoughts on pairing up the 3090c with the 2050is? )
Hello swinnydon

Thanks for letting us know about your Q Acoustics experience. The photograph looks great

The 3090C will work extremely well with your 2050i speakers. However, as Zorba922 has pointed out, we are currently only shipping 'Graphite' color models from Atlanta. As you know, we do sell 'Gloss White' versions in the UK. So, if you are interested, I'll try to find out what the cost and delivery times would be for Gloss White.

Very best regards

Steve

Q Acoustics

PS. I am concerned that the 3090C would be too heavy to balance on a shelf that simply rests on top of your TV. I would strongly recommend that any centre channel was positioned either on the furniture immediately in front of your TV or on a shelf rigidly fixed to the wall above the TV.

PPS. I can see from the image that you have a beautiful wooden floor. Are you using the 2050i's floor spikes? If you are not (or are using the spikes with the rubber spike covers), then using the 'naked' spikes - correctly adjusted and locked - will give you a big improvement. You might even decide you don't need a center channel speaker after all

If you understandably wish to protect that floor, simply place a small metal disc beneath each spike (small coins are perfect for this).
post #30 of 406 Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 AM

Liked: 4
As much as I do have honest trepidation about how Q Acoustics return policy works, with the shipping and restocking fees and all the other various minutia (speakers still have their tags on?) enumerated on the Q Acoustics website, after doing about a metric ton of research, I still decided to go ahead and pull the trigger last night on the 3020 bookshelf speakers through Amazon.

I wish that it was an Amazon Prime item, which in case of performance not living up to expectations, would have at least given me a sense of peace about taking the gamble that I could return it hassle free. This is something Q Acoustics really need to look into. Of course, if it was a Prime item, then I suspect the cost of the item to increase possibly by 10-15% (don't quote me on that though as Fluance speakers are the same price on their site as well as on Amazon Prime).

I had narrowed my choices down to the 3020, the HVL-1, Elac B5 and Fluance Signature bookshelf speakers. All of these speakers seem to have their share of excellent reviews, and it was extremely difficult for me to come down to a single choice, especially without being able to audition them all. I was in all honesty leaning hard toward the Fluance, especially with their 30 day no hassle audition, but something kept niggling me in the back of my head about the 3020s. As the flow of money isn't always steady, parting with even this much which I know is a paltry sum in the hi-fi world, isn't particularly the easiest thing to do. So I honestly hope that the Q Acoustics don't let me down.

Anyway, yes, I'm a bit scared. I am genuinely hoping that I made the right decision. I fully admit that I'm not on the level of a lot of other posters here, but I do think my money is just as good and I trust my ears. So my fingers are crossed. The 3020s should arrive by Sept. 2, and I will be posting my impressions and reviews as they go along.
RayGuy, gajCA, Broadus and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers