TechWood / Welton speaker improvements? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 1 Old 07-17-2016, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
TechWood / Welton speaker improvements?

Greetings and sanitations! Please don't beat the newcomer, I might start to like it.

I have a pair of TechWood tower speakers similar to the PS53CH model. Except, mine don't have the wood front, they are the all furry grey version. For those unfamiliar, each tower has two Welton 15" woofers, a Welton 4.25" mid and a Motorla horn that measures 4.5" x 11". For those who are familiar with them, please stop cringing, I like them very much. I'm driving them with an old JVC RX-318 stereo receiver with no signal processing, except the "loudness" button is on.

Yes, I know they were sold through terrible stores and they're more about being loud then they are about being accurate. However, they're very, very loud and to my ears, they're pretty accurate as well, for low end gigantic speakers. I've compared them, by ear, to a pair of large Yamaha tower speakers circa 2005 (I think they were 555 something), Mitsubishi towers, several 5.1 satellite systems by Yamaha, Polk and Klipsch, and a pair of Bose 901s. All of the other speakers sounded better playing movies, except maybe the Klipsch and the Mitsubishis. However, none of them sounded as full as my TechWoods playing music, which is what I primarily use them for. Any room I put them in is easily filled with clear, crisp and powerful music... and so are all the other adjoining rooms. I've also compared them to several budget headphones by Monoprice, PlanetAudio and Bose, all of which sounded flat and muddy compared to the TechWoods.

So far, anything that I could afford to replace them with, doesn't sound any better. So I thought, maybe there's a way I can make them sound better? I don't expect to rival $5000 speakers like Paradigm or Definitive Tech, but perhaps I could improve on their shortcomings. In movie soundtracks I can hear that the mids are lacking, but that isn't readily apparent in music vocals. Even when I play something with prominent vocals like Gulan Du by Mari Boine, or Four Wild Horses by David Munyon, the vocals are extremely clear and forthcoming. However, I think that a certain area of the mid range, perhaps at the lower end of the average vocal range, is a bit quiet. I've read about other people taking 80's speakers, replacing the crossover, and replacing or rebuilding the tweeters and/or midrange to end up with a pretty killer budget speaker.

Or perhaps I'd I'd get better quality by replacing the antique RCA first? I'm not really sure where to start. I'm working on acquiring a good USB DAC since all of my music is played through my computer. I had a TB Santa Cruz that had phenomenal sound quality, but it doesn't work with my new computer because of a lack of drivers. Any suggestions, other than replacing my speakers, would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I may have cheap equipment, but I have high end ears. Thanks for putting up with my long wind.
Sponsored Links
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page