AVS Forum banner

PC speakers

536 views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  huiyiungai 
#1 ·
Help with PC Audio Setup
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and i need some help for my pc. Currently I am building a new pc with acer predator x34 as the monitor. All of my setup will be placed on a rectangle wooden desk size around 130cm x 60cm. Currently I need to buy a speaker as i think the speaker of X34 is not good.

For speakers, it is more or less day time use only. As I got a big monitor, I would like to watch movies in my room so i would like a speaker that can provide good sound quality for movies. Of course, the speaker will be used in other ways as well but mainly for movies. I watched all types of movie so i need a speaker that can provide me the feelings of cinema.

For the speakers and its related setup, my budget is max USD$800 . Please provide some suggestions please

#2 ·
You've got a pretty small desk. I'm not sure how much space the monitor will take up, but I'm thinking you don't have a lot of space for speakers? How loud do you want them to go?

There are a lot of options out there - Audioengine, Emotiva, and Adam all get solid reviews. For $800 you could also go with a separate DAC/Amp and some small bookshelves, like Elacs.

#4 ·
Reactions: prerich
#5 ·
#9 ·
Why would you need a receiver? I think all of the above recommendations are for powered speakers which will plug into your computer's sound card - a few might require an adapter. You can use a receiver with powered speakers provided the receiver has preamp out jacks.

#14 ·
Passive speakers + AVR + sub will usually produce better results since the AVR has more/better decoders for different sound formats.

With all things electronic, division of labor across multiple devices tends to yield better results as well as more device security in case one device fails. This is why I prefer to have a separate GPS in my car, a separate GPS watch for running, a separate MP3 player for travelling, a compact APS-C sensor camera, etc. instead of trying to cram all of that functionality into a single $800 iPhone.

If you're sitting in front of your computer watching movies, I'd just start with 2.1 since a center speaker in nearfield seldom makes much difference. And for your surrounds you can go cheap with something like the Dayton B652 speakers if you really want surround effects.

#16 ·
#18 ·
All of my setup will be placed on a rectangle wooden desk size around 130cm x 60cm.
I noticed you measure in metric. Where are you located? Many of the recommendations given so far are available in the US, but not necessarily internationally or more expensive internationally. So best bang for your buck may come from other equipment.

#20 ·
For the order problem, i got some method to order from amazon or other places so that wont be a problem
Good to know you can order from Amazon.

But still helpful for people to know what country you live in if not the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.