AVS Forum banner

large or small for deftech 9040's

8K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Squirrlybird 
#1 ·
I have the new definitive technology 9040 towers and the 9040 center. I was just wondering how I set them up in the configuration menu? I ran the yapo and it set the towers to large and the center to small. The crossover is set at 100hz. It is a 7.1 setup with a Yamaha RX-V573 receiver. The surrounds and surround backs are just old Onkyo 530's for now. They are all set to small as well. It does not sound like the backs and surrounds are very loud at all, not getting that all around feeling I guess you could say. Just wondering if anyone had ideas on how to better set these up? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I believe DefTech tells you two ways to hook up those speakers; one is without an LFE input in the back, just the speaker wire, with them set to small and the other is with the LFE RCA input also attached set to "large."

Check your manual...but if I remember correctly you should attach the LFE input to each front Def Tech if you are going to run "large."

If LFE is not attached yet try small and a different, lower, crossover point.

YPAO and other EQ are just a place to start, I'd start by boosting the volume levels in the back until you are happy with the surround effect.

In my case I had to boost the center and tone down the rears but every situation is different.

#3 ·
The manual says that if you go with just the speaker wire just hook it up and set the speakers to large and sub to no. This is what I have now but I have read a lot that no matter what you should set everything to small. That's why I was wondering. Should I turn down the crossover no matter what? Most threads I see in here everyone seems to have it set to 80. I am pretty new to all of this so I am trying to get all the information I can and learn the best way to go with all this. Thanks for the help

#4 · (Edited)
Do you have a sub or not? If not, then their recommendation to simply wire them as LARGE speakers with NO SUB is probably best. YPAO is setting the crossover that it 'thinks' is best for your speakers that it has set to SMALL.

The recommendation to set your front speakers to SMALL "no matter what" applies when you DO have a sub. If you DO have a sub, you could try setting the speakers to SMALL with as low a crossover as possible
(40Hz?). If your AVR doesn't allow a different crossover point for your different speakers (i.e. front, center, surrounds, surround rears), you might have to find a compromise and/or set the crossover higher than those speakers might normally require were you able to cross them over separately.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am not using another sub in the setup, just the towers. So I will try option 1 then. I will run the ypao again and see what it says. After I run it this way what should the crossover probably be set at? I really appreciate all the help so far it has been extremely helpful so far.

#16 · (Edited)
I will run the ypao again and see what it says. After I run it this way what should the crossover probably be set at?
Assuming YPAO works correctly, it should set your front speakers to LARGE, set your AVR as having NO SUB connected, and choose a crossover (or crossovers) that is (are) appropriate for any of your other speaker channels that it sets to SMALL. The "correct" crossover setting (again, assuming YPAO works properly) is dictated by your SMALL speakers' capabilities as well as their interaction with the room.

With Option 1 you will still have to set your front speakers' subwoofer sections' output levels, yourself. YPAO will not be able to set your subwoofer level as you do not really have a subwoofer to set with Option 1.

If you want YPAO to set your actual subwoofer level, you would need to use Option 2. You would still have to adjust the speakers' subwoofer sections' output levels, but only to a roughly correct (ballpark) setting, letting YPAO make the fine adjustment. Then, based upon the value that YPAO sets your AVR's subwoofer output level (if it is too high or too low), you could then re-adjust the speakers' subwoofer sections' output levels and re-run YPAO if needed.

Note that your manual specifically says:

Note: We recommend that you do not use your receiver’s auto setup functions as they can be ineffective in setting up and adjusting speakers with integrated powered subwoofers.

Yes, speakers with built-in "subs" present special issues. You may want to also seek additional advice in the Def Tech thread in the 'Speakers' subforum. But I believe most there will recommend Option 1.

#15 ·
I think you either run the fronts full range (LARGE) without connecting LEF (LEF OFF) or run the fronts as small speakers and connect LEF (LEF ON).
Personally, I think the second one is better because it allows you to have different crossover point to work better with the rest of the speakers.

#17 ·
Personally, I think the second one is better because it allows you to have different crossover point to work better with the rest of the speakers.
The speaker's internal crossover is used with Option 1, and functions exactly as the engineers designed the speaker to function. The crossover setting for the rest of the speaker channels is not affected whether you use Option 1 or Option 2.

With Option 2, you run into the possibility of cascading or overlapping the AVR's high-pass filter with the speaker's internal high-pass filter. I do not know if the speaker's LFE input is unfiltered or not. But if it is not, you have that same issue with the AVR's low-pass filter and the speaker's internal low-pass filter. It would be nice if Def Tech allowed the user to disable the low and high-pass filters in the speaker when running Option 2, but they do not.

#18 ·
do current receivers have the "LFE + Mains" option ?

#19 · (Edited)
def tech powered towers are basically 3-way towers with the ability to adjust the level on the lowest driver. the lowest driver also has it's own amp which makes that level adjustment possible

the older def techs even had a parametric EQ to reduce booming and increase bass that was being weakened due to the room's acoustics, listening position etc.

takes a lot of trial and error with the settings (and measurements if you have that ability)

measurements can get you "flat" but some people don't like the sound of "flat" just like some people like a little extra seasoning on their steak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.