Loud popping Definitive 7001 w/Denon AVRX3000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Loud popping Definitive 7001 w/Denon AVRX3000

Just upgraded my receiver, projector in my theater. Bought the Denon new in box about a year ago.
I have had my speaker for some time now though.
Pair of DefTech 7001, Definitive 2500 center channel, definitive back and surround speakers as well as a Sunfire TrueSub EQ. Video is through a projector.

Here's my issue.
When I'm watching a movie, randomly/suddenly/sporadically I start getting a LOUD popping sound coming from the 7001s and/or the Center channel.
These three are plugged into power through a power strip. I've tried to plug in directly, tried using a ground lift. Still does it.
Now, if I UNPLUG the speakers from power, the popping sound does not happen. It only happens when they're plugged in to power.
My Sunfire is also making a very faint noise, very faint consistent popping.
They sound perfectly fine otherwise, it's not a blown speaker sound. It's like a signal.

I'd love to attach a recording of the sound, but it scares the bejesus out of me, sometimes it's like a gunshot...

Thanks for any help,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Try plugging all your active subs (including the ones in your speakers) into a separate power circuit if you can. You may be drawing too much current with all your amps (2 for the speakers, 1 for the sub, and your AVR) running concurrently.
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks.
Yes, i tried that and it still did it.
So I decided to just try another receiver. Went to the store and grabbed an open box Yamaha with similar specs as the Denon.
Watched over an hour of a movie after hooking it up exactly like the Denon was.
No popping.
Denon was the problem. It's been doing this for a while now, should have returned it a year ago. I'lll phone Denon and see if they'll do anything about it, but I don't want that piece of crap anymore. I think it may have permanently damaged one of my mains, as every time I power them up one of them humms for a minute or so.
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kools View Post
Just upgraded my receiver, projector in my theater. Bought the Denon new in box about a year ago.
I have had my speaker for some time now though.
Pair of DefTech 7001, Definitive 2500 center channel, definitive back and surround speakers as well as a Sunfire TrueSub EQ. Video is through a projector.

Here's my issue.
When I'm watching a movie, randomly/suddenly/sporadically I start getting a LOUD popping sound coming from the 7001s and/or the Center channel.
These three are plugged into power through a power strip. I've tried to plug in directly, tried using a ground lift. Still does it.
Now, if I UNPLUG the speakers from power, the popping sound does not happen. It only happens when they're plugged in to power.
My Sunfire is also making a very faint noise, very faint consistent popping.
They sound perfectly fine otherwise, it's not a blown speaker sound. It's like a signal.

I'd love to attach a recording of the sound, but it scares the bejesus out of me, sometimes it's like a gunshot...

Thanks for any help,
Matt
All three front speakers have built in power amps for the woofers. The crossovers in my older Def Tech towers would make noise when powering up...similar to the old fax machines as they loaded the phone numbers...several seconds long.
The thumping noise (coming from the powered woofers) would also happen with different wiring configurations (as the Def Techs offer). As I recall, the remedy was to use speaker wire only. Not the LFE in on the rear of the speakers. Also if there is a switch on the rear of the speakers that allows you to set between " on/auto/off ", you can try one of those to get rid of the thump.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , denon avr-x3000 , popping speaker
Gear in this thread