AVS Forum banner

Do Most of You Use Surround System All of the Time?

519 views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  KenM10759 
#1 ·
We are remodeling our family room and I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure our TV / Home Theater setup. I currently have NHT speakers: 2 SuperOnes, a NHT SC-1 center speaker, the NHT 8" sub, and three in-ceiling NHT surrounds, driven by a Yamaha AVR that is about 10 years old. The TV is a Panasonic Viera Plasma (forget the model number, but it's 2-3 years old). The audio produced by the Panasonic is pretty bad. We have a Yamaha YHT-S400BL sound bar as well. We typically only use the surround system when watching movies. The rest of the time, the TV audio comes from the sound bar. I like all of the current equipment, although the sound bar is only average. It struggles with dialog during movies and some TV programs.

Is this setup typical? Or perhaps do many people just use the audio built into the TV when watching news and other non-theater type programming? Or do most use their surround systems all of the time? In the past I always thought it was overkill to use the HT setup for conventional programming, and didn't want to go through the hassle of turning all the components on and getting the settings right every time I watched TV. I realize that I could get a programmable remote to solve some of those issues.

We are removing a large built-in entertainment center that formerly housed everything, in favor of a smaller media console. The TV will hang on the wall above the console. I wouldn't mind removing the sound bar equipment from the new set-up, but not sure if I will like the new functionality.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is the NHT gear I have still considered adequate for the "audiophile on a budget"? There is money in the budget for audio upgrades if my system is severely lacking.

See less See more
#2 ·
100% of the time I use mine. With HDMI control you don't even have to turn on the receiver separately anymore and it switches to the right input most of the time. It's only a matter of deciding if I feel like watching 2.0 content in stereo or upmixing with dolby surround. Most receivers have apps now you can control with your phone. I can sit on my couch and flip through options, turn it on/off, change inputs and volume and surround modes within seconds.

#3 ·
I just turn on my receiver when I turn on my TV. Don't see it as a big hassle. So I can't advise you there other than to tell you if you don't have the soundbar installed, I would imagine you'd get used to turning on the receiver fairly quickly.

As far as upgrades, you would see improvements in upgrading to larger driver speakers and definitely likely for a larger sub. But it depends on what your budget is as to where to make the most bang for your buck upgrades.

#13 ·
What he said.

#6 ·
I have to agree that the sound produced by the viera T.V is awful (I have the same T.V). I would get rid of the sound bar and use your NHT set-up which is far better than a sound bar. I have all my stuff (computer, cable, Xbox one, PS3, BR player) connected to the receiver through HDMI. I turn on my system for all my sources whether I'm watching T.V, music, gaming.... You will only need to set your settings once for your devices and switching between each one can be done on the AVR remote (Denon in my case).
Unless there is something you don't like about the NHT's, I see no reason to upgrade. A better, properly placed sub(or 2depending on how big your room is) will make all the difference in your sound quality so I would start there.

#7 ·
I have everything set with the Harmony remote, so when I choose to watch T.V. it turns on the receiver and the Sony t.v. switches to external speakers. HD OTA broadcast is in 5.1 Dolby Digital and non-HD brodcast is in Dolby Surround.

#9 ·
If the NHT center speaker does dialogue much better than the soundbar (and I'd be shocked if it didn't) then I would simply toss the soundbar and use at least the 3 front speakers for regular TV watching.

Personally I find that surround speakers are only needed for blockbuster action/thriller movies, IF you are using a source in native 5.1 format such as a DVD or Blue Ray disc. Having the receiver convert a stereo signal to 3.1 is ok, but going from stereo to 5.1 yield little or no benefit at all since there simply isn't much coming out of the surrounds.

#10 ·
I use mine all the time. Universal remote with a macro, one button turns everything on (including lights) and sets the correct input on the AVR. Have been doing it this way for 20+ years.

If the NHT center speaker does dialogue much better than the soundbar (and I'd be shocked if it didn't) then I would simply toss the soundbar and use at least the 3 front speakers for regular TV watching.

Personally I find that surround speakers are only needed for blockbuster action/thriller movies, IF you are using a source in native 5.1 format such as a DVD or Blue Ray disc. Having the receiver convert a stereo signal to 3.1 is ok, but going from stereo to 5.1 yield little or no benefit at all since there simply isn't much coming out of the surrounds.
If a person has a 5.1 system, how exactly do you only convert a stereo signal to only 3.1??

IME, there is plenty of surround content in TV shows (and movies other than "blockbuster" types)...not that it's as good as from a BR, but it's there none the less.

#15 ·
All. The. Time.

Logitech Harmony remotes are the best thing since sliced bread.

#16 ·
100% of the time for me as well. I wouldn't watch the news on my television speakers.

I use the older harmony remotes, (2) 650s and an H628. I have owned the 1100 but I didn't care for it. The H628 is a great budget remote and the 650 is no slouch either for very little money.

#18 ·
I'm pretty lazy, so I usually just leave it on. Sometimes, the surrounds annoy me on different programs, so I switch to stereo on my AVR to turn them off.

#19 ·
What are TV speakers? Aren't they the ones that are wired to the receiver strewn around the room? I do have some crappy sound emanating from my bedroom TV since I loaned the soundbar to a friend so she could see if it was an improvement over her speakers , and never gave it back , but I'm not sure if the sound is coming from "speakers" exactly.

#20 ·
Is this setup typical? Or perhaps do many people just use the audio built into the TV when watching news and other non-theater type programming? Or do most use their surround systems all of the time?

Keep things the way they are.
If the sound track is good, I'm in, if not, I continue to make the hole in my sofa deeper.

#23 ·
I use my system primarily for 2 channel stereo music but it's simple enough to engage 5.1 with a button push. The main reason I don't use it for a lot of TV is because when watching a lot of channels the bass is just annoying thumping which adds nothing to my "viewer experience." I'm talking about when I watch a news or commentary programing and the intros are just fluff. There's also a lot of spurious thumps throughout some programs that are more annoying than enhancing. I just switch off the receiver and listen to the not-so-awful Samsung TV speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.