AVS Forum banner

Surround speakers

216 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  FatesWarning 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 3 klipsch heresy 3's up front powered by onkyo 805 in a 30x14 room. A 12 inch Klipsch sub. I installed hardwood floors and can't run wire to surrounds anymore, and I sold my 1977 heresy 1's that I was using as surrounds. I'm not running wire on a very long ceiling. I may sell house in the next couple years so won't drill though hardwood

Would I even hear small surrounds if they were up front with the heresy 3's? If I'm only using 3 front speakers no surrounds, and have receiver mode on 5.1, do I completely lose all the sound that was supposed to come from surrounds? Or do my 3 fronts pick those up.

If my sound would significantly improve by putting some small surrounds ($200 or less) up front with the heresy 3's, I would probably buy them. What do you think? Assume I will definitely not run wire to sides or rear. Thanks.

Would these significantly improve mysound if they were up front?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067OLOS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1WPEQCN6WJKZG

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thx for the reply. The Amazon reviews on both the products you linked are terrible. All kinds of problems.

I would like to tell my onkyo 805 that I only have 3.1 sound, but I don't see a way. In the on tv screen menu, I searched every area and there is nothing I see that says 3.1.

In Page 72 and 81 areas of the manual, it lists tons and tons of listening modes and non say 3.1. do you think 3.1 would have been in the onscreen menu or is it one of the listening modes?

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-sr875_805_manual_e.pdf

#5 ·
Thanks! In the area of the menu where I assign the frequencies , I scrolled through and the options were something like 40-200 hz for surround speakers. Well, I scrolled the other way this time and eventually it had a "no" option. When I switched it to "no" I heard a click on my receiver so hopefully that did the trick. It makes that noise when I switch listening modes. I'll test a Blu Ray now to see if I can hear a difference.

I failed to mention that my display on the 805 (common problem) has been out for a few years. My ears have to make the listening mode decisions since I can't see them.

Ps. You can't say yes or no for the fronts, can only pick a frequency which indirectly means yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.