AVS Forum banner

Best budget (500$) 2.1 speaker set

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  cel4145 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
so i am thinking about buying a new 2.1 speaker set.
I already own an old but good receiver and i will connect it to my new turntable as a source for music.I was thinking about a two small bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.
My room is kinda small(about 12x12 ft) so keep that in mind.
What are my options here?
Thanks in advance,
Panos

#2 ·
I'd get a pair of these for around $210:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

If you're doing music only, you might not even need a subwoofer with those speakers.

If you prefer a warm, laid back sound for music I'd look into the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or 220 from Music Direct dot com (the Philharmonic AA is more on the neutral side). They also have lots of mid-bass presence and may be fine without a sub for music only.

If you're also doing HT, then the BIC PL200 sub can be had for around $300 from Amazon and should be plenty for a small room.

#3 ·
What make/model receiver do you have? Depending on the connections it has, some subwoofers might be easier to hook up to it than others.

Is this setup mainly for music? gaming? movies? If music, what kind of music?

#7 ·
Consider doing what I did for music in my secondary room.

2 speakers for $400, (in my case they were Martin Logan LX16's that were that price but they are $480/pair now), there are many good choices.

Add a $100 sub that plays down to 30hz and does it well IMHO.

No slop, just nice tight bass, especially in a small room, (I have it in a room that is 15x20 and it does just fine).

Can also get it for $75 if you would consider a refurbished unit.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...att-powered-subwoofer-black/1.html#!condition

Considering you're in an apartment especially, that is what I'd recommend.

Q Acoustics, Emp Tek, Ascend Acoustics, Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio, PSB, Audioengine as well as other brands are in the $400/pair bookshelf price range.

Don't forget about $40 for a pair of stands, (Sanus from Crutchfield are good choices).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.