AVS Forum banner

SVS Ultra vs. PSA MTM speakers

30K views 68 replies 24 participants last post by  chomdh 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Apologize if this comparison has been asked already. I just wanted to get peoples opinion of which speakers they think are better. I'm looking into upgrading my home theater soon, and I wanna have a clear plan of where I'm headed.

Finalized plans are for a new Denon AVR with Mult EQx32 and sub eq ht (x4200 or x3300) and a second SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. Ill get them first.

For my speakers I'm going to have to buy my LCR first and then add the rest later.

In roughly the same price range, I can get 2 SVS Ultra bookshelves and the Ultra center or 2 PSA MTM 110s and one MTM 210c. These speakers will be powered by either one of the AVRs listed above and dual SVS PB-2000s will supply the low end. The end game is 7.1 with dual subs

Just wanted to get some thought about which speakers would be better for 95% movies/games/tv. My guess is the PSAs, but I love SVS and with the free trial I feel like I should at least try their Ultra speakers. The thought of not needing an external amp and insane dynamics are why I'm super interested in the PSA set up.

Has anyone heard both speakers? Is this even a fair comparison to be making? People rave about the PSAs and the SVS ultras so my guess is they're both good speakers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My room:

Thanks.

See less See more
Reactions: oneeyeblind
#2 · (Edited)
My guess is, you could buy either sight unseen and be absolutely happy with them. The only way to know for sure is to buy both, take advantage of their trial period, and decide for yourself.

On paper, it looks like PSA has the advantage. Bigger woofer, higher sensitivity. SVS definitely has the advantage in aesthetics, and possibly with the 3-way center channel

Max out your cards, try both (take your time), and send one back after a few weeks.

Edit: Although I'm sure the PSA may have better sound than the Ultras, the size and aestetics are a deal breaker. Not many living rooms/small HT rooms are suited for a 10" center channel speaker. Where does the average person have room for a 10" center channel (Just try to imagine a PB1000 as a center channel speaker)? It appears PSA is designed more for BIG home theaters, with screen and projector, lots of volume and lots of seats. Probably overkill in average applications. I'd go with SVS for my 14'x28' area. No in-home comparison necessary.

#3 ·
What he said. Very different speakers with different sound signatures. The only way to really know is to demo both in your room with your ears. If that is not possible, I would lean towards PSA if you are good with the WAF.

Also I believe PSA no longer offers free return shopping, but they do offer the on house trail.

#4 ·
Just wanted to get some thought about which speakers would be better for 95% movies/games/tv. My guess is the PSAs, but I love SVS and with the free trial I feel like I should at least try their Ultra speakers. The thought of not needing an external amp and insane dynamics are why I'm super interested in the PSA set up.
If you have a large room and/or like to listen at extremely high volumes, the PSA speakers would be a shoo-in.

If WAF is important then of course SVS.

It would make for an interesting comparison, that's for sure. SVS always has free return shipping, it's too bad that PSA had to end theirs recently, due to abuse of that policy.

And PSA being one of the very few remaining speaker/subwoofer companies that still makes all of its products in the USA gives them a definite edge in the favorability department, in my book.

#5 ·
I wonder if it was really abuse of the policy, or if a casual buyer, willing to spend $$$, and aware of the brand's reputation for subwoofers just didn't know what to do with a center channel speaker sized somewhere between an SB1000, and PB1000. The things are huge. PSA speakers, as incredible as I'm sure they are, are better suited in an AMC theater than most people's living rooms.

#11 ·
If you just look at the specs you are comparing a 6.5 inch woofer (SVS) to a 10 inch woofer (PSA). And you are comparing 87dB (SVS) sensitivity to 95dB (PSA MT-110} or 98dB (PSA MTM-210c). I would pick the PSA on those two specs alone.

As for size and WAF, my better half commented they look pretty! And the size is just fine in my living room. PSA is the clear choice for me. Upgrading is expensive so get it right the first time.

Owning PSA is a very satisfying experience. I sit in my chair watching movies and feel like I got it right this time.

#14 ·
@basshead81 @zeuspaul

Is PSA fine for medium to low volume or does it take higher volumes to bring out their best qualities? It seems like for the price they are a top contender for mostly HT, but what about music (any volume) and medium volume tv/movies in general?

I'm having a custom built-in tv cabinet made due to the wall space I have to deal with but I made sure to have a center cubby large enough to fit the PSA 210C or sierra Horizon.

Right now I'm looking at sierra tower & horizon OR PSA 210C & 210T for LCR.

I'm probably 50/50 music / tv&movies with about 4,200 ft^3 in my basement bar/tv room.

Thanks.

#12 ·
Before this thread becomes a "go bigger, because big = better!", understand that the SVS Ultra center is no slouch either when it comes to volume. With your room size, you'd still have decent amount of headroom with the Ultra center before your ear drums start to ache from the shouting and whining on screen.

And yes, the PSA still does offer better value for higher volume output. But since PSA does not have the free shipping anymore, why not just get the free trial from SVS first and see how you like the Ultras?

I have an Ultra center and I've been very happy with it so far. I've heard better centers like the Ascend Sierra Horizon (with RAAL), Goldenear SCXL, and the ML Motion 50 for example, but they're not like several leagues ahead of the SVS Ultra Center. More so when you factor in the price. Try the SVS out, they're at least worth your time even if you end up not liking it.

#13 · (Edited)
I'd pick the PSA myself, but not based on things like woofer size.

Sensitivity could be an arguement, but I'd wager that most people would be able to drive either pair to ear splitting levels with a decent AVR

Really cant go wrong with either - order the towers for each to demo and send back the set you don't like? You'll be out $100-200, but at least you'll know you made the right $3000 choice.....

#20 · (Edited)
If you are driving one pair of speakers sensitivity may not be much of a concern. I am driving 9 speakers and my AVR is running a little warmer than I like. Hopefully my next AVR upgrade will drive 11 speakers so sensitive speakers are of concern to me.

I'd pick the PSA myself, but not based on things like woofer size.

Sensitivity could be an arguement, but I'd wager that most people would be able to drive either pair to ear splitting levels with a decent AVR

Really cant go wrong with either - order the towers for each to demo and send back the set you don't like? You'll be out $100-200, but at least you'll know you made the right $3000 choice.....

Reactions: oneeyeblind
#15 ·
They do everything well...much clearer and more detail then any commercial speaker I have heard in the same price range. They rival the Martin Logan SL3 electrostats in detail and that is saying something because you can hear the guitar pic pluck the strings on the Fleetwood Mac DVD. Trust me I have owned and heard speakers that range all the way up to 8k per pair and the PSA get it done. The only speaker that I would consider aside from PSA is JTR but they are more money.

#18 ·
I've not heard both but im in a small camp of listening levels matter, room size and aesthetics matter. I've heard HE speakers like the Cat8s and some excellent DIY speakers like the Fusions...my own listening habits Im perfectly fine with traditional style speaker...going from your current speakers to the Svs Ultras might be deemed a lateral move ...the PSA...otoh...might be an upgrade...if you have a large enough space and your listening habits dictate what levels you listen than the PSA could be considered an upgrade....yymv

#22 ·
I don't have a dog in the hunt with respect to which of the two speakers has better sound. But I do think it is worth pointing out that their design implementations had different goals in mind. The PSA speaker used a larger woofer (10") and a larger enclosure, but they then tuned the speaker to get maximum SPL in exchange for some low-end extension. The PSA bookshelf speaker is 98db efficient, but only has a quasi-anechoic frequency response of 70Hz. The SVS bookshelf speaker only has a 6.5" woofer, and gave up some SPL (89db efficiency), to obtain a quasi-anechoic response of 45Hz.

People are welcome to argue that, with a sub, an 80Hz or 100Hz crossover works perfectly well, and the extra SPL is useful, but I also saw some posts equating driver size with superior low-end response. And that is not the case here, as the two different speakers employed slightly different design philosophies. The SVS speakers, with the small woofers, actually have more low-end response. As for differences in sound quality, I will have to leave that question to people who have listened to both. Speaker selection is really such a personal thing anyway, in my opinion. It's sort of like picking a new car. Who knows what specific characteristics will appeal to us?

Regards,
Mike

#25 ·
appreciate the input everyone!

idk if its stated in my attached youtube video or not, or if anyone actually watched it, but my room is a dedicated theater room (at least it will be when I'm totally done with it :D)

-WAF is not a factor whatsoever. its my room

-The PSA MTM110c looks stupid to me so I have to go with the 210c. it looks better to me

-size is not an issue either. the PSA MTM210c will fit perfectly where my center is now. I measured. it will eventually go to its own center channel stand anyway.

-finish isn't important. they both look good to me. when the lights are off its dark anyway

-I desire effortless reference level playback. I don't listen at reference but pretty much -10db most of the time, so I want speakers that sound awesome when they are loud.

-horizontal dispersion from the center is really important to me. if you look at my setup, only the sweet spot is on axis, so I want a center that can be heard and still sound good off axis. I hear the PSA speakers might not be ideal for this, but any input would be appreciated.

I know I just have to try them both, and I will. Just wanted to get some input on what I should be expecting.

thanks

#31 ·
-WAF is not a factor whatsoever. its my room

-The PSA MTM110c looks stupid to me so I have to go with the 210c. it looks better to me

-size is not an issue either. the PSA MTM210c will fit perfectly where my center is now. I measured. it will eventually go to its own center channel stand anyway.

-finish isn't important. they both look good to me. when the lights are off its dark anyway

For those reason mention above, I would go with PSA210, and this coming from someone who love SVS subs.

For
"-I desire effortless reference level playback. I don't listen at reference but pretty much -10db most of the time, so I want speakers that sound awesome when they are loud.

-horizontal dispersion from the center is really important to me. if you look at my setup, only the sweet spot is on axis, so I want a center that can be heard and still sound good off axis. I hear the PSA speakers might not be ideal for this, but any input would be appreciated."

I think both brands could achieve this very well.

Ray

#28 ·
Nah I haven't. Its between these 2 for me. if for some reason I don't like either the SVS or PSAs, Ill resume my search.

#33 ·
Almost seems like a no brainer to me for the PSA speakers. Dedicated room, No WAF, occasional very loud playback level using only an AVR

"I desire effortless reference level playback." The PSA MT-110/210 should do this very easily using the AVRs you are considering, the SVS Ultras may need an additional power amp to reach "reference level" playback. Though at the -10dB you usually listen at obviously either would be fine.

On the odd occasion when I decide to really push the limits,my PSA MT110 + MTM210C combo can reach reference level easily, driven by my Denon AVR-X1000, with absolutely no audible distortion- they remain crystal clear. To be honest it's my PB12NSD & PB2000 that I'm worried about at that level (and my windows).

#34 ·
Seems like you are an ideal customer for the home theatre targeted speakers like PSA makes..

Reactions: darthray
#35 ·
basshead81;46250449[B said:
]Its not a debate of bigger equals better....its simply more and better performance for the dollar.[/B] I own both PSA and SVS products too, so its a unbiased opinion.
Uhm I do agree... which is why I said: "And yes, the PSA still does offer better value for higher volume output"

Was simply saying that the Ultra center is no slouch at all either and since SVS offers the free trial + free shipping, it's sort of a no brainer to just try that out first.

#36 ·
I think you're all nuts if you don't consider RSL speakers for this application. I just got mine installed tonight and I could not be happier. I looked into everything you have all brought up and went with RSL CG-24's for LRC and CG-4's for surround. I also got 4 of their in-ceiling speakers for Atmos and other object oriented sound protocols, but those go in this weekend. Two Speedwoofers rounds it out and can't even comprehend how full and complete the base is now throughout the entire room. American made (mostly - some in China) and Family run. The owner seems to manage most of the ordering, if not all of it, and he couldn't be more helpful or accommodating. I plan on spreading these things anywhere I find hole to fit one in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#42 ·
I have a 5.1.4 mostly PSA setup in my 19x20 living room, and it's far from overkill for people that demand incredible sound. The MTM-210C with a pair of MT-110 for L/R and a pair of MT-110SR creates an unbelievably detailed, immersive experience. In addition to dual V1800 PSA subs, I'm running an SVS PC-12+ and 4 prime satellites for Atmos (little guys sound great for the money).

For dedicated home theater listening, there's really no reason not to go with PSA speakers. After hearing them, you'll be kicking yourself for not trying them sooner. :smiley:

Pic: MTM-210C, MT-110 x2, V1800 x2

Attachments

#51 · (Edited)
Finally I see the pictures:), last night I was getting a blank screen.:(

Very well done, hard to say from the pictures but it look like your center is a little bit on the edge of the cabinet. If so, I would recommend that you move it forward so it is above the edge, re-do a calibration.

What you will gain from this is a little better sound (not much since your tweeter are almost perfectly align horizontally for your main and center), meaning you are not getting any reflection from the cabinet for the center speaker.

Just nip picking and trying to make the best of someone system, and sometime it can make a big difference for someone.

Ray

#44 · (Edited)
Sekosche said:
... For dedicated home theater listening, there's really no reason not to go with PSA speakers. After hearing them, you'll be kicking yourself for not trying them sooner. :smiley:

Pic: MTM-210C, MT-110 x2, V1800 x2
Sweet. :cool: At some point, I'd really love to get my hands on:
- MTM-210T x 2;
- MTM-210C (or MTM-110C);
- MT-110 x 2; and
- V1800 (or even V1500) x 2.

#50 ·
Other than the differences in SPL/efficiency, this would be an interesting comparison - 2 highly respected ID vendors with very different speaker designs - horn loaded cd + large woofer vs traditional dome. The sonic signature should be different.

I agree that sensitivity is important and is almost never mentioned when people talk about speakers, with the highly efficient horn designs almost no one needs a dedicated amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.