Alternative to Paradigm Signature Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Snowmanick
post #1 of 7 Unread 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Alternative to Paradigm Signature Speakers

Paradigm officially joins the list of companies I despise, choosing to discontinue great products (Studio, Tribute, Signature) for overpriced garbage (Prestige) or potentially good sounding but ridiculously obscenely overpriced and out of reach for regular hardworking folk products (Persona Series). For their recent actions, I am done with Paradigm for any future new purchases.

Sadly, I really liked the Paradigm Signature series speakers, I liked their sound much better than every other speaker I heard in their price range (Paradigm Studio/Prestige, all B&W, Dynaudio, Martin Logan, everything at Best Buy Magnolia, etc.), but I haven't heard every other speaker. I have heard Voxativ speakers I like better than the Sigs but they are way outside anything I could ever hope to afford.

I work extremely hard and refuse to buy something I like less than Paradigm Signature at similar price, so what is good or better as Paradigm Signatures in every area (neutrality, transparency, clarity, detail, speed, microdynamics, imaging, presence, macrodynamics, emotion) that is similar price to the recently discontinued Sigs.

My budget is up to Paradigm Sig S6-S8 budget, $6k-$9k for full range stereo pair floorstanders. I can afford ID brands Odyssey Liquid or Salk Soundscape series but don't know how they compare to the Paradigm Signatures.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by xirtam2005; 08-25-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Revel Peforma3's and KEF Reference series ( while you said floor standing a pair of 1's maybe with a sub are fantastic) should be on your demo list. PSB's Imagine T3 is also very solid.

If you aren't adverse to used you can probably score a pair of Revel Ultima2 Studios with that budget.

Salk's Soundscape 8's were also very nice when I heard them but it was at a show, so caveat emptor with my thoughts on those.
John Schuermann and SmittyJS like this.

Last edited by Snowmanick; Yesterday at 12:17 AM.
post #3 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Sonus Faber?

Usher?
post #4 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Second the Revel recommendation. Revel and Paradigm were both birthed out of the pioneering research done by the Canadian NRC under the guidance of Dr. Floyd Toole. Of course, Harman (Revel's parent company) hired Dr. Toole and his co-researcher Sean Olive to continue their research at Harman's considerably more advanced and elaborate facility out of Northridge, CA. Fortunately for all of us, Toole and Olive were allowed to continue their research into accurate sound reproduction using the same purely scientific methods that they instituted in Canada. In other words, their research at Harman is undertaken using rigorous scientific protocols and the data published in peer reviewed scientific journals. Revel is the speaker brand developed directly out of that research, and to this day Revel speakers are not released until they can beat competing designs during double blind listening tests at the ML Lab out in California.

John Schuermann
www.thescreeningroomav.com Home Theater Design john@thescreeningroomav.com
JS Music and Sound Post Production Audio / Original Music for Film and Video
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
post #5 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Paradigm officially joins the list of companies I despise, choosing to discontinue great products (Studio, Tribute, Signature) for overpriced garbage (Prestige) or potentially good sounding but ridiculously obscenely overpriced and out of reach for regular hardworking folk products (Persona Series). For their recent actions, I am done with Paradigm for any future new purchases.

Sadly, I really liked the Paradigm Signature series speakers, I liked their sound much better than every other speaker I heard in their price range (Paradigm Studio/Prestige, all B&W, Dynaudio, Martin Logan, everything at Best Buy Magnolia, etc.), but I haven't heard every other speaker. I have heard Voxativ speakers I like better than the Sigs but they are way outside anything I could ever hope to afford.

I work extremely hard and refuse to buy something I like less than Paradigm Signature at similar price, so what is good or better as Paradigm Signatures in every area (neutrality, transparency, clarity, detail, speed, microdynamics, imaging, presence, macrodynamics, emotion) that is similar price to the recently discontinued Sigs.

My budget is up to Paradigm Sig S6-S8 budget, $6k-$9k for full range stereo pair floorstanders. I can afford ID brands Odyssey Liquid or Salk Soundscape series but don't know how they compare to the Paradigm Signatures.

Advice is greatly appreciated.
Paradigm has always had a brighter sound signature, IMO. If you've always been a fan, KEF is good place to start. Their R series falls well within your budget and is one of the most honest speakers I've heard, period.
post #6 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I think that this is simply Paradigm jumping up a "level" with their speakers. Your "overpriced garbage" could literally be "music to one's ears" for another. If Paradigm thought that it was time to up their game, then all the power to them. FWIWIMHO, that opens the door for reasonable-priced second-hand Paradigm speakers...
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I think that this is simply Paradigm jumping up a "level" with their speakers. Your "overpriced garbage" could literally be "music to one's ears" for another. If Paradigm thought that it was time to up their game, then all the power to them. FWIWIMHO, that opens the door for reasonable-priced second-hand Paradigm speakers...
I can understand his frustration. The Prestige, to a lot of people I have talked to, seems to be an overpriced version of the Studios with just a new name. The Persona, while very intriguing, is out of most people's price range. To me, Paradigm has always been a good bang for buck. The new lines do not fit that bill. That being said, I do have a 11.1 Studio v5 setup which I enjoy very much. This past July, because of the discontinuing of Signature line, I was able to score a very good deal on a S8v3, C5v3, & S2v3 setup. But I would suspect, after this setup, this will be my last adventure with Paradigm. I think the key take away from the new lines are what you said, "reasonable-priced second-hand Paradigm speakers..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers