AVS Forum banner

Budget 3.1 System

11K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  dsrussell 
#1 ·
Hello, experts.

I'm setting up a 3.1 system from scratch and I'm hoping some of you can relay some of your expertise to help. The wife and I just had our first kid and just bought a new place, so the budget is pretty tight. I'm coming from a Samsung HTIB (HT-BD1250), so I'm pretty sure anything I throw together will be a step up from what I've been using.

The quick and dirty (based on reading some other posts and doing a bit of research on my own, these seem like the pertinent details):
- What I want to get: 3.1 speaker/sub setup and a new receiver. I want to at least have the option to expand to a 5.1 in the future, if the 3.1 feels inadequate and I can put away some extra cash for it.
- What I want to spend: $600-$700, all in, including a receiver.

- Where I want to put it: The living room is 15x11, with one open wall and a stairwell to the right of the couch. While I will usually be watching from the couch on the far wall opposite the TV, I will want to be able to listen from as far as the kitchen (see attached floor plan).

- What I want to use it for: 70% TV/movies, 25% music, 5% podcasts.

- What I'd like it to have:
- Receiver: WiFi, BT, 4K upscaling, Atmos, DTS:X, HDR (I'll be buying a 4K TV and I'd like to make the receiver as future proof as possible, in case I want to upgrade the speakers later). I don't care about dual zone or expanding up to 7.1.

- Speakers: The best sound I can afford with the rest of my budget.
- What I'm considering:
- Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1131 (presently $399 new), Denon AVR-X1200W ($299 refurb at A4L), Denon AVR-S720W (also $299 refurb at A4L)

- Speakers: Micca MB42x (bookshelves and center $169), Dayton B652-AIR bookshelves ($60) and either Dayton C452 ($30) or Dayton CCS-33B ($58) Center, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelves ($130) and Pioneer SP-C22 Center ($97)

- Sub: Dayton SUB-1200 ($150) or Sony SA-W2500 ($60)
And some notes/questions:

- I'm leaning towards the VSX-1131 because it's new and I've never dealt with A4L before, though they have a pretty solid reputation around these parts from what I can gather.

- I know a lot of people recommend going to listen to the speakers someplace, but I can't find anywhere near me to try out the Micca or Dayton sets. The Andrew Jones Pioneers sounded pretty excellent to my relatively untrained ears. The reviews I've read on both of the others are pretty universally positive.

- The one thing that really turns me off of the Daytons is the spring clips.

- If I go with the Dayton bookshelves, does anyone have experience with the two Dayton centers? Is the CCS-33B a huge step up from the B452?

- Are the Andrew Jones Pioneers that big of a step up from the Daytons or the Miccas? How unhappy will I be if I just get the Andrew Jones Pioneers without a sub for the time being and wait a bit on picking up a sub later? It looks like the Andrew Jones have dipped to as low as like $150 for the bookshelves and center before; how often does that happen? I'm willing to wait a month or so before making a purchase, if that's what it comes to.

- How significant is the difference between the Dayton and the Sony subs? If they're reasonably close, I'll kind of feel like an idiot to spend more than twice as much on the Dayton...

Any other tips or suggestions are most appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
With a $600-$700 budget, best to spend the least amount you can on the electronics and put more toward the speakers. With that in mind, I'd go for a Denon from A4L (I have bought a receiver from them before).

Then, get three of these EMP Tek speakers: http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (they will sell you three). You can place one on its side to use as a center. This would be a better option than the Daytons, Miccas, or Pioneer speakers, IMO.

Then pick up a sub later. :)

#3 ·
With a $600-$700 budget, best to spend the least amount you can on the electronics and put more toward the speakers. With that in mind, I'd go for a Denon from A4L (I have bought a receiver from them before).

Then, get three of these EMP Tek speakers:
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (they will sell you three). You can place one on its side to use as a center. This would be a better option than the Daytons, Miccas, or Pioneer speakers, IMO.

Then pick up a sub later. :)
+1. Better to get better speakers now and enjoy the for years to come. There is nothing wrong with Dayton or Micca but you will likely be back in here in a year asking fo upgrade recomondations. Just buy 2 mains and get a center and sub later if necessary, Just don't compromise with lesser quality speakers to have it all at once.

#4 · (Edited)
Main Speakers.
(2) of these Chane A2.4, $520 ($260/ea).
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/loudspeakers/chane-loudspeakers/A2.4

If you can't afford the above mentioned speakers due to price, I would suggest
(2) of these Chane A1.4, $329/pr. For a later 5.1 upgrade, you could move these smaller Chanes to the surround positions and buy two or three Chane A2.4's for the front channels.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/loudspeakers/chane-loudspeakers/A1.4

AVR.
Denon AVR-X1200W, $299 (refurb at A4L).

This is the set up I bought for my mom last year and it sounds excellent (using the Chane A2.4 speakers & Denon 1200).

The AVR was purchased through A4L (I have purchased 2 AVR's through A4L and will continue to do so).

We didn't install a center speaker because the phantom center sound is so realistic it didn't need an actual speaker, your conditions may vary. If you want to install a center speaker, you can always buy one more Chane A2.4 (the same model works as main speakers and center speakers).

We didn't install a sub because the amount of bass & sub bass was perfectly balanced so as to feel physical vibrations inside her room, but not so much that it intruded into the neighbors space. If you want a sub, I would suggest saving up for an entry level quality sub by one of the known ID companies (i.e. HSU, SVS, etc.).

If you want 3.1 now and can't afford a higher budget, I would go with the Pioneer AJ speakers. I have no suggestions for the cheaper subs.

#5 ·
I have owned lots of speakers (Hsu, SVS, JBL, Deftech, RBH, Polk, etc) but just picked up a set of Klipsch RP150 M's from an authorized dealer for $300 shipped. I have not been a fan of the cheaper budget Klipsch speakers in the past, but really like the new RP line for the money.

Will be comparing them to my JBL 530's head to head, but the JBL's are not family room wife friendly and they will be used for surround duty in my upcoming dedicated theater room.

The Klipsch bookshelves and a decent receiver would be within your budget. Then add a center and sub later.

#6 ·
#7 ·
the JBL's are not family room wife friendly.

That's generally the case for subwoofers :confused:

#18 ·
JBL 530's are speakers that would sit next to the TV in our main family room on display for everyone to see. Lot different than a subwoofer that you can hide in a corner or beside a couch.

The JBL's are needed for surround duty with my 590's in what will be my dedicated home theater. That said I love the 530's to death and am interested in how they stack up against the RP150's.

#10 ·
Change speakers are excellent. I currently own the Chance A5rx-c front left/right and the A2rx-c center.

Since your budget is on the low side, I would suggest not buying a subwoofer at all. Your budget doesn't really have the room to buy a decent sub.

I would suggest a 2.0 set up with HTD level 2 towers. They've got some B-stock for $319 cherry color.

Or if you go with HTD Level 2 3.1 set up with bookshelf, center and sub that will put you at $717, which is over your budget and no AVR.

You will have to go with some less expensive speakers due to your budget. If I was you I would save some $$$ and then buy.

I've had 5 different set ups, and I hated my low budget surround sound after hearing my friends $5000 5.1 surround sound.

#12 ·
Never buy NEW!

I have been buying audio/video equipment for over 40 years. Initially I have bought new equipment thinking it's like a used car that they wear out. I was 100% wrong! Most audio/video equipment doesn't wear out like a car. 75% of the time someone like me is selling audio/video equipment because I want to upgrade my system, not because there's anything wrong. An example is I had a perfectly excellent working Yamaha DSP-A1 which was a 5.1 receiver I owned for over 6 years, that I sold on Craigslist for $200 and bought the new 9.2 Yamaha Yamaha RX-A3040 receiver (3 years ago) for $900 used on ebay and now it's about $500 used on ebay. The same for all my speakers, tape deck, sub-woofers, etc. Nothing I own was bought new.
Most people like me sell them not because there's anything wrong, but to just get something different or newer.
As your first system, you should concentrate on the best receiver you can afford. Buying a 5.1 is the minimum, as far as I know nobody makes a 3.1 anymore.

#13 ·
used sub?

I think the Pioneer AVR is a good choice but they also have nice units at a bit less $. You might need to pull back on your initial requirements for the AVR and upgrade after a few years. And you can save mucho coin by buying a 1 or 2 year old used AVR that will do most of what you want. As an example, my three year old $2,200 Integra AVR is worth about $400 today. People upgrade all the time and there is a bunch of nice used gear out there. There are tons of nice new smaller bookshelf speakers. I like the Boston A25, which can be had in the $120 range and would make a nice front trio. You might even consider a sound bar with a sub for the time being. I have seen many used subs of good quality as people upgrade to larger ones or move to powered towers. A pretty decent one can be had in the $300-$400 range but you will likey want to upgrade to something bigger/better down the road. Do your homework and look for deals. Well taken care of pre-owned stuff may get you the maximum enjoyment for your budget.

#15 ·
I'm coming from a Samsung HTIB (HT-BD1250)
Just in case you're tempted, like I was, to use the HTIB* to drive a different speaker/sub combo, realize that the output is likely tailored to the characteristics of the speakers and not adjustable. I hooked up bookshelf speakers and a real sub and found that the sub's lows were rolled off much higher than my sub could reproduce and the crossover was fixed high (>120Hz+) for the original 2 5/8"-driver satellites.

* I used a Sony DAV-HDX275

#23 ·
Yeah, I can't wait to get rid of that HTIB receiver. It's super wonky. There's a delay using optical audio (for example, changing the channel on the TV causes the sound to cut out for 2-3 seconds... it's known issue, ignored by Samsung), Blu-ray discs no longer play any sound (inexplicably), and the proprietary speaker wire hook ups regularly fall out of the receiver. Drives me crazy.

#16 ·
For speakers, take a look at NHT closeout and B-stock. NHT speakers have gotten great reviews (I have two pairs). They are in the process of switching to a new line and have clearance prices on the old. They also usually have good prices on B-stock items. Great sound and good value.

Reactions: User5910
#17 ·
#20 · (Edited)
Hello, experts.

I'm setting up a 3.1 system from scratch and I'm hoping some of you can relay some of your expertise to help. The wife and I just had our first kid and just bought a new place, so the budget is pretty tight. I'm coming from a Samsung HTIB (HT-BD1250), so I'm pretty sure anything I throw together will be a step up from what I've been using.

The quick and dirty (based on reading some other posts and doing a bit of research on my own, these seem like the pertinent details):
- What I want to get: 3.1 speaker/sub setup and a new receiver. I want to at least have the option to expand to a 5.1 in the future, if the 3.1 feels inadequate and I can put away some extra cash for it.
- What I want to spend: $600-$700, all in, including a receiver.

- Where I want to put it: The living room is 15x11, with one open wall and a stairwell to the right of the couch. While I will usually be watching from the couch on the far wall opposite the TV, I will want to be able to listen from as far as the kitchen (see attached floor plan).

- What I want to use it for: 70% TV/movies, 25% music, 5% podcasts.

- What I'd like it to have:
- Receiver: WiFi, BT, 4K upscaling, Atmos, DTS:X, HDR (I'll be buying a 4K TV and I'd like to make the receiver as future proof as possible, in case I want to upgrade the speakers later). I don't care about dual zone or expanding up to 7.1.

- Speakers: The best sound I can afford with the rest of my budget.
- What I'm considering:
- Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1131 (presently $399 new), Denon AVR-X1200W ($299 refurb at A4L), Denon AVR-S720W (also $299 refurb at A4L)

- Speakers: Micca MB42x (bookshelves and center $169), Dayton B652-AIR bookshelves ($60) and either Dayton C452 ($30) or Dayton CCS-33B ($58) Center, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelves ($130) and Pioneer SP-C22 Center ($97)

- Sub: Dayton SUB-1200 ($150) or Sony SA-W2500 ($60)
And some notes/questions:

- I'm leaning towards the VSX-1131 because it's new and I've never dealt with A4L before, though they have a pretty solid reputation around these parts from what I can gather.

- I know a lot of people recommend going to listen to the speakers someplace, but I can't find anywhere near me to try out the Micca or Dayton sets. The Andrew Jones Pioneers sounded pretty excellent to my relatively untrained ears. The reviews I've read on both of the others are pretty universally positive.

- The one thing that really turns me off of the Daytons is the spring clips.

- If I go with the Dayton bookshelves, does anyone have experience with the two Dayton centers? Is the CCS-33B a huge step up from the B452?

- Are the Andrew Jones Pioneers that big of a step up from the Daytons or the Miccas? How unhappy will I be if I just get the Andrew Jones Pioneers without a sub for the time being and wait a bit on picking up a sub later? It looks like the Andrew Jones have dipped to as low as like $150 for the bookshelves and center before; how often does that happen? I'm willing to wait a month or so before making a purchase, if that's what it comes to.

- How significant is the difference between the Dayton and the Sony subs? If they're reasonably close, I'll kind of feel like an idiot to spend more than twice as much on the Dayton...

Any other tips or suggestions are most appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!
I agree with some of the others here that you should get better speakers even if you can't get all you want initially. But you can come close. There is a speaker line new to the US but which has been getting rave reviews in the pretty fussy UK A/V market for several years. They have bookshelf speakers starting at $130 a pair and they are excellent, especially for the price. I tried to buy some from a UK dealer but they aren't allowed to ship to the US so I found a dealer in Italy who would ship them to me. I paid a lot more that the US prices (which are lower than the UK prices if you convert pounds to dollars), and it was worth it. That they don't look bad is a bonus at this price. They have a full line of bookshelf, floor standing, and HT speakers, including subs and center channels. So check out the website https://www.qacoustics.com/ and check the prices. Then Google for reviews. They are a good option for you to consider along with the other ones suggested to you. You can get a 2.1 system and have $200 for a receiver in you $700 budget.

#25 ·
There is a speaker line new to the US but which has been getting rave reviews in the pretty fussy UK A/V market for several years. They have bookshelf speakers starting at $130 a pair and they are excellent, especially for the price. I tried to buy some from a UK dealer but they aren't allowed to ship to the US so I found a dealer in Italy who would ship them to me. I paid a lot more that the US prices (which are lower than the UK prices if you convert pounds to dollars), and it was worth it. That they don't look bad is a bonus at this price.
I appreciate a recommendation actually in my price range! (Not that the other suggestions aren't appreciated!) Any chance you can compare the Q Acoustics with the AJ Pioneers? Do they stock them anywhere that I could take a listen?

Sounds like you made some aggressive moves to track them down!

#21 ·
Before I make any speaker recommendations I would encourage you to consider getting a good receiver and sub and then worry about your speakers. A good receiver with descent wattage and a quality sub will really make a difference in the overall sound of your system. Plus, it will increase your upgrade options in the future.

Look at getting an Emotiva Fusion receiver. It has an excellent processor and an amp that actually has 85 watts and not one with embellished specs. Emotiva is no longer making them so it would be on the used market. Your only issue here is that it does not carry a 4k signal to my knowledge.

I can't really speak to any any other receivers at this time. I am planning to either get the Fusion receiver or separates when I upgrade so I haven't been looking at anything else.

For a sub look at the RSL speedwoofer. It is $400 but is reviewed very well. The cheaper models from SVS or HSU could work as well. If you want to save a little the Dayton SUB-1200 or BIC F12.

I would pair that with something like the Dayton B652-AIRs or the Miccas. Consider the AJ Pioneers if you want to spend just a little more to get a step up in quality. I do have the Miccas in my bedroom 5.1 system and, while they are descent speakers for the price, there are better options out there. I feel the MB42Xs lack a little clarity in the mids.

For speakers I'm going to suggest Fluance. They actually have 5.0 system with towers (AVHT) that is reviewed fairly well. The step up SXHT system can be found on sale for $300 at times and would be even better. You could start with the SX6 bookshelves and upgrade later. I have the SX6s in my 2.0 music system and I really like them. There is an SXC center too.

I agree that you don't need a center to a certain extent. A good set of speakers will place vocals in the center. However, this will mainly be in one sweet spot. The nice thing about having a center is that vocals will be coming from the center of the screen in almost ever seat in your room.

Hopefully my post and all the rest don't just confuse you more. If it were me I would start with a descent sub and receiver and go from there.

#22 ·
I would pair that with something like the Dayton B652-AIRs or the Miccas. Consider the AJ Pioneers if you want to spend just a little more to get a step up in quality. I do have the Miccas in my bedroom 5.1 system and, while they are descent speakers for the price, there are better options out there. I feel the MB42Xs lack a little clarity in the mids.

For speakers I'm going to suggest Fluance. They actually have 5.0 system with towers (AVHT) that is reviewed fairly well. The step up SXHT system can be found on sale for $300 at times and would be even better. You could start with the SX6 bookshelves and upgrade later. I have the SX6s in my 2.0 music system and I really like them. There is an SXC center too.

Between the AJ Pioneers and the Fluance SX bookshelves/center, which would be a better option? It looks like the Fluance might end up being a little cheaper, unless the Pioneers go on sale again (it looks like it's been four or five months since there's been much of a discount anywhere).

I also looked into the Emotiva Fusion 8100. It looks like it's hard to come by right now, and it's missing some of the features I was hoping for (Atmos, DTS:X, networking, 4K). I'm sure it sounds great, but I'd prefer something that's going to work with my full set up.

#24 ·
I'm also looking to build a budget (wife approved) 3.1 set up. I have a Yamaha RX-V381 already. I would prefer to purchase from places that have easy returns in case I don't like the sound. So far I found the Fluance Classic Elite Series Center Channel & Surround Sound Speakers for $150 on Amazon. But after reading this thread I'm willing to spend a bit more on two bookshelf speakers for now. Any suggestions?

#26 ·
I like the pioneer receiver you have picked. But right now Monoprice has the VSX-524 for $170. Why pay $400 for features you will not use. I do not believe you will be able to tell the difference in sound between the two. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14203
I strongly believe you should put as much as possible into bookshelf speakers. Most of the sound you hear will be between 50 and 20k hertz. The Dayton sub will add to the low end but the most important part of your proposed setup will be the speakers. That's where extra dollars will pay off in better sound. So skip the center channel for later and go to the less expensive receiver and the 10inch sub and put the extra dollars into bookshelf speakers. Check out Amazon for open box or factory refurbs on speakers. I like Amazon because of their return policy. Their open box speakers with a small scratch could be a good buy.
Check out Stereophile for recommendations on entry level speakers. http://www.stereophile.com/content/2016-recommended-components-loudspeakers#4gg8ytlKAQXrU9Eh.97
They have several in your price range that would be excellent choices. Anywhere from $40 to $500 per pair. I wouldn't pick the $40 dollar pair but almost any of the others would be great.:)

#27 ·
I like the pioneer receiver you have picked. But right now Monoprice has the VSX-524 for $170. Why pay $400 for features you will not use. I do not believe you will be able to tell the difference in sound between the two.

I strongly believe you should put as much as possible into bookshelf speakers. Most of the sound you hear will be between 50 and 20k hertz. The Dayton sub will add to the low end but the most important part of your proposed setup will be the speakers. That's where extra dollars will pay off in better sound. So skip the center channel for later and go to the less expensive receiver and the 10inch sub and put the extra dollars into bookshelf speakers. Check out Amazon for open box or factory refurbs on speakers. I like Amazon because of their return policy. Their open box speakers with a small scratch could be a good buy.

Check out Stereophile for recommendations on entry level speakers.

They have several in your price range that would be excellent choices. Anywhere from $40 to $500 per pair. I wouldn't pick the $40 dollar pair but almost any of the others would be great.:)

Thanks for this - very helpful all around. My concern with the VSX-524-K is that it's missing a couple of the features I would use/need (HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, Bluetooth) and a few that I hoped would give the receiver a bit more longevity (like Atmos / DTS:X). You're right that I wouldn't be using Atmos or DTS:X now, but if I ever want to upgrade, I like the idea of not having to buy a new receiver to go with the speaker upgrades.

(I know that technology is always changing and improving, but it feels like the right time to make sure you have the latest standards, with Atmos/DTS:X being the biggest leap forward since 5.1 and 4K/HDR offering at least a decade of good use before the next big thing blow them out of the water. HDCP 2.2 seems particularly important if non-conforming formats are going to block content.)

It's been super confusing to sort through the recommendations on center channels. Some people have said that the center is the most important speaker, others have said I can skip it altogether. I suspect it may be based on use; movie watchers push for the center, while music listeners push towards better loudspeakers? Or maybe some of the bookshelves are so good that the center can be skipped? (If this is the case, I don't think this applies to anything in my price range, even if I take the center money and dedicate it to upgrading the bookshelves, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

I did see those AJ Pioneers on that Stereophile list (and they're the cheapest on there by far, save for the Daytons), so that's somewhat encouraging...

#28 ·
Updated Considerations!

Based on everyone's input and a bit more research, I've reconfigured my query.

I really do appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and the push to get better components, but I really do have to stick to my budget for now. Basically, I've decided to take the ultra-budget speaker/sub options off the table and go with the refurbished receiver so I can invest a little better in the speakers.

So. Am I best off pairing the Denon X1200W with (keeping in mind that this would be used for 70% TV and movies and 30% music/talk):

- AJ Pioneer L-C-R and Dayton SUB-1000 (Total cost: $341)

- Fluance SX6 and SXC L-C-R and the Dayton sub (Total cost: $297)

- Emptek R5Bi L-C-R (assuming, as cel4145 said above, that one can be used on its side as a center) (no sub, though I could also switch out the center for the Dayton sub for about the same cost) (Total cost: $327.50)

- ELAC Debut B5 L-R and the Dayton sub (no center) (Total cost: $347)

My gut instinct is to get the AJ Pioneer LCR with the sub, just because it feels like the most complete set up (and the Pioneers seem to be better reviewed than the Fluance SX line). Coming from my current HTIB set up, I know how much better voices are through the center (and how much it's used), and I know what a difference a sub can make. That said, if the Empteks will give me better sound without one of the center or the sub though, they would probably be up next.

Final thoughts?

Thanks for sticking with me, guys! (And gals?)

#30 ·
Based on everyone's input and a bit more research, I've reconfigured my query.

I really do appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and the push to get better components, but I really do have to stick to my budget for now. Basically, I've decided to take the ultra-budget speaker/sub options off the table and go with the refurbished receiver so I can invest a little better in the speakers.

So. Am I best off pairing the Denon X1200W with (keeping in mind that this would be used for 70% TV and movies and 30% music/talk):

- AJ Pioneer L-C-R and Dayton SUB-1000 (Total cost: $341)

- Fluance SX6 and SXC L-C-R and the Dayton sub (Total cost: $297)

- Emptek R5Bi L-C-R (assuming, as cel4145 said above, that one can be used on its side as a center) (no sub, though I could also switch out the center for the Dayton sub for about the same cost) (Total cost: $327.50)

- ELAC Debut B5 L-R and the Dayton sub (no center) (Total cost: $347)

My gut instinct is to get the AJ Pioneer LCR with the sub, just because it feels like the most complete set up (and the Pioneers seem to be better reviewed than the Fluance SX line). Coming from my current HTIB set up, I know how much better voices are through the center (and how much it's used), and I know what a difference a sub can make. That said, if the Empteks will give me better sound without one of the center or the sub though, they would probably be up next.

Final thoughts?

Thanks for sticking with me, guys! (And gals?)
The two speaker packages I've actually heard on this list are the ELACs and Fluuances (because I own both). The Fluances have better bass, but the ELACs have better mids and wide soundstage. For HT/Movies I'd definitely go with the ELACs with a plan to purchase the center and rears in the future (ELAC has B4s that would make nice rears). I prefer the sound of ELACs over the Fluances, not that the Flunaces are bad speakers they're not just as good as the ELACs. The Fluance Signature series cost about the same as the ELACs and might be a little better, having not heard them I'm not for certain.

I have heard many say that the AJ Pioneers sound vailed and muddy compared to the AJ ELACs.

Also, I would consider the Dayton SUB-1200. It is only $20 more than the SUB-1000 and has a larger driver and and amp. No one ever regretted getting a larger sub!

Also, consider buying used gear from amazon. Right now you can get the ELAC B5s for $184 and the SUB-1200 can often be found for $130 used. If you buy used directly from amazon there is a money back guarantee and often times the original warranty.

#35 ·
Ordinarily it's recommended to allocate 30% of a budget to electronics and the remainder on speakers/sub and misc (cabling, stands...) Let's assume you're going to max out your budget at $700, all in. You're going to have to give up something on your wish list, and if I were in your shoes that something would be Atmos. You're nowhere near having the speakers for it, and it's a format in it's infancy and has negligible releases in the grand scheme. Go for this :

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

It checks all your other boxes and it saves you 50 precious dollars.

Forget the center for now. As many have pointed out, when you're concentrating on your movies you and your SO are going to be in the sweet spot and the dialogue, etc will be just fine. I was always disappointed with my PSB center, which wasn't cheap and a while ago I just removed it and have never missed it. If you want one later as funds allow that's your call.

Get the Dayton 1200, but wait for it to go on sale--it always does I got mine for $120 including the wireless kit and I'm very happy with it. Don't even consider the Sony it's a joke and a waste of 60 bucks. You NEED a sub. You say 11x15 but it's open and you have probably 9ft ceilings. That's some cubic feet and you're going to need a sub to fill out the bottom. Trust me, you'll really appreciate it, both for movies and your tunes, especially since you indicated you wanted to enjoy your music from as far away as the kitchen. Crank it up!

Affordable Accuracy Monitors. Search this forum for all the praise. Dennis Murphy is brilliant--I've never met him but would love to--and I've learned a lot just from reading his frequent contributions He's VERY respected and what he does for $210 must be remarkable considering the raves. I do not own them I have not heard them, but that's only because I am partial to other brands, of which there are many lol.

You are at $570 or so. You still need speaker stands and some speaker wire. You're still under budget and your system is going to sound great.

#42 ·
Get the Dayton 1200, but wait for it to go on sale--it always does I got mine for $120 including the wireless kit and I'm very happy with it. Don't even consider the Sony it's a joke and a waste of 60 bucks. You NEED a sub. You say 11x15 but it's open and you have probably 9ft ceilings. That's some cubic feet and you're going to need a sub to fill out the bottom. Trust me, you'll really appreciate it, both for movies and your tunes, especially since you indicated you wanted to enjoy your music from as far away as the kitchen. Crank it up!

Affordable Accuracy Monitors. Search this forum for all the praise. Dennis Murphy is brilliant--I've never met him but would love to--and I've learned a lot just from reading his frequent contributions He's VERY respected and what he does for $210 must be remarkable considering the raves. I do not own them I have not heard them, but that's only because I am partial to other brands, of which there are many lol.

Sure, just when I think I'm getting close to making a decision, you go and throw in another great looking bookshelf option... :smile:

A couple quick questions on the wireless kit: (1) There's no delay or anything related to the wireless? Those things always made me nervous. (2) Does the "auto on" mode on the sub still work with wireless? (3) How often do they go on sale? I can probably wait a little, but I haven't even bothered unpacking my HTIB and right now I'm just working with my TV speakers for TV/movies and a small Bluetooth speaker for music. It's... not ideal.

#40 ·
I echo the sentiment mostly expressed in this thread - don't compromise on the speakers, since they are vital to your overall enjoyment. For now, you can actually do a very good 2.0 system, and add center as well as sub in the future. In addition to the excellent options presented above, also look at Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 L/R, or HTM-200 L/C/R which fit in your budget. A4L is a reputed dealer, and I've had good experience with them (my current Marantz SR5010 comes from A4).

#41 ·
Expecting to get 3.1 AND a receiver with all the latest bells and whistles, at that budget level, is an unrealistic expectation. In fact the entire concept of a receiver that is "future proof" is fairy-dust. Receivers go out of style after about two years when the manufacturers come up with some other gimmick that they spend millions of dollars to promote as something the public just can't live without.

If you choose to not run the video through the receiver, you can get away from the necessity for 4K and save yourself a significant amount of money by getting one that is couple of years old from accessories4less.com or off of AudioGon, Craigslist or eBay. Add a remote with macros and you'll never know the difference (in fact the video will probably be BETTER).

My advise is to either save more, or if you can't wait, put off the bells and whistles.

#58 ·
Since you asked, here's what I ended up ordering (still waiting for delivery, which has become the hardest part):

- Three EMP Tek R5bi in Black Ash (B-Stock on clearance for $91 each; I really liked the red burl, but the wifey preferred the black ash, and I'm happy to keep her happy)

- Dayton SUB-1200 ($133 via Parts Express)

- Denon AVR-X1200W ($299 factory refurbished via Accessories4Less)

Total was $705. My stated goal was to stick to a $700 budget, so I went a little over, but I think I did pretty damn good to get so close (plus I'll recoup some of the difference when I sell my old 5.1 HTIB).

Many thanks to all who helped, and I'll update once I actually get everything set up!

#47 · (Edited)
I'd also say go for the ELACs or EMP Tek. I like my ELACs and if EMP Tek is a sister company to RBH I'm sure they're amazing as well.

This would be an awesome 2.1 system!
DENON AVR - $250
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

ELAC B5s - $184 (used)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B014GSER6O/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Dayton SUB-1200 - $120 (used or on sale)
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio...TF8&qid=1475185275&sr=8-2&keywords=dayton+sub

TOTAL - $554

This would leave you $150 to get the necessary cabling, banana plugs and speaker stands; or the C5 which I got used for $140. Although you could wait and buy that along with some B4s for rears and complete your 5.1 system.

I assume since you don't care for the Dayton's spring clips you do plan to use bananas. They along with good cabling can add up quickly.

I like these bananas. - $16 for six pairs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E1CGZC/ref=twister_B00LJNZDZO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use these speaker stands with my ELAC B5s and they work pretty well. - $30 There are - of course - nicer, more expensive options available with more of a WAF.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VRREPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this speaker wire and it is very high quality, plus it looks nice. - $30
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ni...1475185787&sr=8-7&keywords=12awg+speaker+wire

So that's $76 just to setup the speakers. You will also likely need HDMI cables. This is all assuming you don't have this stuff. I would not recommend using the speaker wire that came with your HTIB as it is likely very thin and cheap, but it could work in a pinch to save some money.

#48 ·
Well, I had all but decided on the Emp Tek r5bi (using a third bookshelf on its side as a center and the Dayton SUB-1200), when I saw the KEF Q100s on sale today at Amazon for $300.

Am I better off with three r5bis or just two of the KEF Q100s? (Yowza this has really gotten out of hand since I came here asking about Dayton B652s and Micca MB42x.) I was leaning towards adding the center because we're not necessarily always in the same seating position, and the phantom center makes me a little nervous.

Important Note: This isn't a situation where I can buy something now and upgrade later. I'll probably never be able to add on the center, given its price and my budget. So the question really is three EMP Tek's or two KEFs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.