AVS Forum banner

Are these Akai speakers busted?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  teachsac 
#1 ·
I have two pairs of speakers:
Pioneer CS-454
and
Akai SR-1100

The Pioneer ones seem to be working just fine, Akai on the other hand sound as if treble is completely dead.
The question I have is, are they (Akai) busted or do I need a different kind of аmplifier for them?
Seeing as how the Pioneer ones work fine with the same amp.

Working
Pioneer CS-454
Freq. range: 45-20k (Hz)
Impedance: 8ohm
Max input: 40w
Music power: 60w
photo____i.imgur.com/q8wG685.jpg

Busted?
Akai SR-1100
Impedance: 8ohm
Rated power input: 30w
Max input: 40w
photo____i.imgur.com/niIWVuB.jpg

Video comparison, check video description for time codes
youtu.be/ElP_igkfcds

#3 ·
An amplifier will easily discern a good working speaker from a bad one.
The Pioneer speakers are probably bright vs the Akai which are laid back. Not a good or bad thing as it comes down to personal preference.
The thing is, those little treble speakers above the bigger speaker in the speakerbox, they don't seem to give any sound at all.
Now I'm thinking maybe these Akai speakers need a certain minimum input power to work properly? If there even is such a thing.

#6 ·
Yep, they are hand downs. Didn't get any info on them, though.

Play something basic at a moderate level and walk right up to them and stick your ear against the tweeter. If you hear absolutely nothing, switch the wires. If the treble comes back, then your receiver is wonky. But this is unlikely. Much more likely is a failed tweeter or perhaps a failed crossover. If one side is significantly louder than the other I'd suspect the crossover first. These don't seem to be really old speakers, so the dealer may have replacement parts. However, it may simply be time to upgrade and move on.
That's what I did, and there's nothing coming from the tweeters on both of the speakers. Switching wires didn't help.
What's a crossover?

Here's a photo of the connector innards *photolink*______i.imgur.com/TfImIzw.jpg

#5 ·
Play something basic at a moderate level and walk right up to them and stick your ear against the tweeter. If you hear absolutely nothing, switch the wires. If the treble comes back, then your receiver is wonky. But this is unlikely. Much more likely is a failed tweeter or perhaps a failed crossover. If one side is significantly louder than the other I'd suspect the crossover first. These don't seem to be really old speakers, so the dealer may have replacement parts. However, it may simply be time to upgrade and move on.

#8 ·
That's definitely the cross over and no, there's not supposed to be any loose wires anywhere. That one looks like it's been cut, but I couldn't tell you why or how. FYI: the crossover is the lump of electronics that sends the high signal to the tweeters, the mid signal to the mids, and the low signal to the woofers. Anyway, examine the other side, see if it's different. If they're both the same I'm not sure what to tell you. You're already way beyond what I've ever messed with.

I will say I'm puzzled by your description of "little speakers above the big one". The pictures I found show me a single box with an admittedly odd looking tweeter installed, but it's not what I'd call separate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.