AVS Forum banner

Need help with 5.1 setup for a noob

539 views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  dsrussell 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to these forums and the sound world in general. I am what everyone calls a noob, but have been trying to read more and more about the speaker setups and various company speakers. With that background, here is my current situation

I am building a house and I want to have a 5.1 or a 7.1 setup for my great room. It opens to the dining room and foyer on the right side and the kitchen on the back, and opens into a lanai on the left side. So, there is only one wall, but that is covered by a stone veneer. So, I have no option but to go for a complete in-ceiling speaker setup. I know it is not the ideal situation, but I have to make do with what I can. Also, the ceilings are 13 feet high.

My contractor proposes that he will put in Klipsch 3650 gold speakers for a 7.1 setup. The price is good, but I read that even though they are angled, the angulation is not enough to project the sound towards you. And with such high ceilings and a completely open layout, I am afraid the sound quality would not be good.

My mind is set on Martin logan Vanquish, but I can do only a 5.1 setup with the price being so steep. Will a 5.1 setup with only the vanquish in-ceiling speakers be good enough? I have read about using the axis speakers for the fronts but I cannot do that because of the stone wall. (Not that it is technically impossible, but aesthetically unpleasant).

Also, I was reading in some other threads that it is better to use a sound bar for the center channel rather than a in-ceiling speaker. If so, any recommendations as to it.

Any recommendations for 5.1 vs 7.1 setup including various speaker companies - with a good value for price. I can stretch my budget to 6000-8000 dollars. Sorry for the long post, but please help out a noob in need. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
The room is 20x16 in size with 13 inch high ceilings. It has only one wall in the front but that is a stone veneer. There are no walls on the other sides, it is just open to the other rooms. The TV will be mounted to the stone wall.

I dont have any pictures of the room, because the house is being built now. However, I am attaching the plan here.

Attachments

#4 ·
Hmm, I can't comment on a completely in ceiling system since I've never heard one. I would think it would not sound good, especially without a subwoofer (I guess it wouldn't be 5.1 then). But this all depends how picky you are. What I can say about this is it's usually better to get a 5.1 system over a 7.1 given an equal budget. However it's hard for me to say since I'm unfamiliar with this setup. Hopefully another guy will be able to help you more!

#11 · (Edited)
Get in touch with Golden Ear and see what they can do for you. Their in-ceiling speakers have received rave reviews for not sounding like the sound is coming from the ceiling... That said, we are typically talking about 8/9 ft ceilings, so in-ceiling may not even be a viable possibility at 13 ft.

Generally, most folks do not recommend in-ceiling speakers for the front 3. It is much better to have the TV and the speakers on the same level. Have you considered a free standing solution? A nice piece of furniture to hold the TV and center channel speaker, with a pair of floor-standing or bookshelf speakers to flank it? At that price point, you could have a very effective and enjoyable (and beautiful) system without the built-in compromises of an in-ceiling solution. Not to mention, it keeps your nice stone wall intact.

#13 ·
Your idea seems good. I am thinking about Martin Logan motion 35XT for fronts and 50XT for center with Vanquish as the rear surrounds. Is it an OK setup, or are there more cost effective setups in my budget. The rears I think, I will go with in-ceiling only.

#23 ·
You're surrounds being in ceiling is not a big deal. I wouldn't even worry about getting anything expensive for surrounds. The front stage and sub(s) are where 90% of the sound comes from. We're encouraging you to get wall mounted speakers because we know that a ceiling mounted front stage will only lead to disappointment. Stand alone speakers will cost a lot less and sound 10x better than even expensive speakers 13' above your head.
Your front sound stage is more critical than your surround speakers, which is why people are encouraging you to get away from thinking ceiling speakers for it.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have also been following the PSA speaker thread and am looking at various options. I have decided to go with tower speakers for my front stage based on all your input. Thanks to each and every one once again.

#25 ·
This forum is definitely a well of information and everyone here is so helpful. But sometimes, you cant help but feel ignorance is bliss. The more I read, the more I am swayed away from a 5.1 setup for my great room. I was just reading in another thread that Marble and tile are very poor for acoustics. I have a very highly reflective tile for my floor. And I spent close to 20K for just upgrading the tile and I would hate it to cover it with carpet or rug. I think I will stay away from expensive speakers for now. What use is there to spend 5 to 8 K when you don't even get the best sound quality? All the aesthetic features I have chosen for my house - the high ceilings, the stone wall, the open lay out, the glossy tiles; it looks like fate is playing against me in setting up my surround system!

#26 ·
Most of us don't have perfect conditions for best possible sound in our rooms, we do the best we can within reasonable limits. You'll still get better sound with better quality speakers than cheap or in ceiling. Don't get discouraged over the tile floor that may not be as bad as think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.