AVS Forum banner

Home theater speaker recommendations

266 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  choombak 
#1 ·
1. Budget is $3K -$4K
2. Will use sound system for movies
3. Have a Yamaha RX-A2050 receiver, AV123 powered sub. Want all else new. Planning on 9.1.2.
4. Room size is 18' x 25'
5. Room has low ceilings and is located in the basement with suspended ceiling. Ceiling height around 7' to 7.5'.

Recommendations?

#2 ·
okay, from what I can see the Yamaha RX-A2050 cannot do 9.1.2. That AVR only has 9 amps so you can only do a max of 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 or 9.1. According to Dolby and many others 5.1.4 is the best format to use. Can you double check with your manual and confirm this. The model up Yamaha also has 9 amps but they state that they can use an external amp to bring it to 11 channels.

Are you looking for bookshelf speaker or do you want to run towers?

The goto for most people starting out with a 100% movie setup is Klipsch but they have a love it or hate sound. Have you heard Klipsch speakers and do you like them?

I would recommend 5 RP-150M all around

If you can't fix a vertical speaker in your system you can downgrade to a RP-250C for your center.

And then top it off with some RP-140SA Dolby Atmos® enabled elevation speaker

Dolby does not recommend using Dipole speakers as surrounds anymore but for some layouts using those on the sides can work (Movies ONLY).
The RP-240S will be want you want to get.

This is my recommendation for a 100% movie setup 0% Music.

#3 ·
You may want to look at Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE for L/C/R, HTM-200 and/or CBM-170 based surrounds. No idea about Atmos, but you'll find good options by merely browsing various threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.