AVS Forum banner

Newbie: In-Ceiling Speakers for Music & Home Theater Room

789 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cel4145 
#1 ·
I am in the middle of house renovation.

Use Case #1:
Music - In-Ceiling Speakers in various areas of the house (e.g. Kitchen area, outside patio area, TV area). My current thinking is setting up four zones using Sonos Connect Amp; each Sonos Amp will control a specific zone which will have 2 or 4 speakers depending on the size of the room.

I am looking for a recommendation on in-ceiling speakers - I'm not an audiophile (e.g. think streaming Spotify) just looking for value/performance - when I do searches, I come across Bose, Yamaha, Polk. Not sure what to budget in terms of speakers but hoping that $300 a speaker would work. Let me know any recommendations you might have?

Use Case #2:
Home theater room - I am looking at putting a projection TV with 5.1
TV Projector: JVC DLA-RS400U projector
Subwoofers: I have two older subwoofers that I am hoping to re-use: Polk Audio DSW Pro 500 10" 200W Powered Subwoofers
Speakers: Need recommendation - I want to put the center and two in-wall speakers in the front wall where the TV projector will project and two rear in-ceiling speakers. I want the speakers to be in-wall/in-ceiling so that I can I have a clean look.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate everyone's input and thoughts. I am overwhelmed by the information out there.

See less See more
#3 ·
I use Yamaha's for 2 zones and also for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X.

They have been great for whole house music and an excellent addition for object based audio. Prices are always changing on Amazon and as recent as last week a colleague bought 2 pair (per my recommendation) for $190 shipped. There are so many speaker choices for all sorts of budgets. The key thing I found is to construct a in ceiling box and fill with quilters batting.

Good luck!

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/inwall-inceiling-speakers/ns-ic800/

#6 ·
I'm thinking of the following speakers for my setup:

In-ceiling speakers for music:
Definitive Technology - DI 6.5R or DI 8R

For my home theater:
- Definitive technology UIW RLS III for my front, center and left - My current plan is to put in-wall behind the screen but I need to find a screen that supports this setup.

- DI 6.5 or DI 8R for my in-ceiling surround speakers

#7 ·
Subwoofers: I have two older subwoofers that I am hoping to re-use: Polk Audio DSW Pro 500 10" 200W Powered Subwoofers
You could certainly reuse them, but there are certainly subwoofers out there with more output and deeper bass extension that would be better for HT usage.

Also, how big it your new theater room? The room size determines subwooferage you need. So if your subs were in a much smaller room before, don't necessarily expect them to perform as well.

#8 ·
The room is 18 feet long , 14 feet wide and has 10 feet ceilings.

I had the subs in seperate smaller rooms before and they worked pretty well.

I was considering in wall subs as well since I wanted all the speakers/subs out of sight but just have not done my research enough

You could certainly reuse them, but there are certainly subwoofers out there with more output and deeper bass extension that would be better for HT usage.

Also, how big it your new theater room? The room size determines subwooferage you need. So if your subs were in a much smaller room before, don't necessarily expect them to perform as well.

#10 ·
I was considering in wall subs as well since I wanted all the speakers/subs out of sight but just have not done my research enough
That will cost you more for less sub.

I might need to go all in-ceiling for my theater room so might just go with 5 DI 8R speakers.
I would resist that if at all possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.