AVS Forum banner

Ordered new speakers to try out!

1K views 61 replies 6 participants last post by  frankie2075 
#1 ·
Samson RSX-115
Excited to try out these new speakers I came across for a great deal! 699$ for 3 of them. 2 way 15in.

http://www.samash.com/m/rsx115-2-way-passive-pa-cabinet---srsx115xx-p?pageSize=10&searchTerm=Samson%20RSX%20&pgGrp=search&resultCatEntryType=2

Wondering how they sound compare to the berries. Maybe they will be berry beaters.
Maybe another option for the AVS community but we will see. Hoping for the best. Will give my impression sometime next weekend.

Need to buy speakon connection now so I can bare wire them. Not sure on which ones to order tho? They have 2 4 8 pole?

#3 ·
If I understand the assembly instructions on the order page, it certainly looks like it will work.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...-connector-assembly-instructions--092-198.pdf

I've never used a speakon connecton, so I am just going by a cursory review of the page I linked

Here are the wiring instructions ( which wiring pairs with which connector) for speakon connectors (also found on the same page)

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/installation-guides/neutrik-speakon-wiring-instructions.pdf

Ron

#33 ·
GUJ21v1
Focusworks Audio

T/S Parameters
Fs; 22 Hz
Re; 4.7ohms(dual coils in series)
Qms; 7
Qes; 0.57
Sd; 1550 cm2
Vas; 327L
Le; 3 mH
Mms; 550g
Bl; 25 Tm
Xmax; 30mm
Xmech; 40mm

Physical information
Weight; 35lbs
Overall diameter 21 5/16”
Cutout; 19 3/8”
Flange thickness; 3/8”
Depth from mounting surface; 11”

Features
Cast aluminum basket
Paper cone, carbon fiber optional
Aluminum dustcap
10” diameter spider
High excursion half roll surround
Under spider venting
Contoured pole vent
Underhung motor
Neodymium magnet
4.5” voice coil
Full length shorting sleeve on pole

http://www.harbottleaudio.com/drivers.html
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=65

One of the very few drivers available that can keep up with an HS-24mk2​

#42 ·
Speakers don't "need" to break-in. You can't damage them by just using them.

Now if you are wondering if they will benefit from improved sound quality after break-in? That's a highly debatable topic, and you can search AVS and find plenty of debate over that. My recommendation is just use them as you would normally use them and not worry about it. If they will benefit from break-in, they will break-in just fine from regular use.

Reactions: shivaji
#44 ·
So I did a very very fast listening today with some music. But it was just on and playing with out me sitting there and really thinking about it. Mind you I just plugged them in and hit play. So the system was still EQed to the sho-10 speakers that were here before.
1) I noticed that they didn't have much bass or midbass like I hoped for but who knows. Hopefully that will change.
2) I'm wondering if I wired up the speakon connectors right and it's not out of phase. Which I'm thinking would give me the lack of bass and midbass.
3) after I run AUD pro would it help?
4) speakers sound pretty clear! After I run AUD and check the wiring I will give my final statement.

#46 ·
So the system was still EQed to the sho-10 speakers that were here before.
If that means room EQ like Audyssey or YPAO, turn that off. That'll definitely throw off how they sound.

Reactions: sigpig
#51 ·

This is what it says about the wiring pretty simple and straight forward I believe I did it right. Will check after work today.

I did some more listening last night in 2 channel. I had the denon set 2 direct mode. Which I believe shuts off the EQ. so I can listen to the speakers. I had no subwoofers on. I played some test discs. Played some jazz and acoustic guitar music. What caught my attention right off the bat was how the speakers perceived space. And how well it imaged. I then paid attention to the bass and the midbass. I just didn't feel anything from it. I played some victor wooten. I also have a alto ts215 and they have much more low end. They are also powered speakers weather that has anything to do with it I don't know.
Either today if I have a chance I want to measure with REW and see what I'm getting and then run pro auddessy and measure again and see. Listen to some movies and music again and see what I get. Stay tuned. Hoping it gets better. I have faith in these speakers.

#54 ·
Yea I had it on a stand but it was blocking the screen. So I put it on the floor until I find something to go under It. So I ran AUD pro last night only in 3 places. The speakers sounded much better. I can't get over the imaging of the speaker I had to check on multiple occasions If it was on multi channel when it was on stereo. But after running I felt my bass was gone. I could barely hear or feel it. I feel as if it was being sucked out. So I re ran AUD but I ran xt32 with the plug in mic. And i felt like I had some bass back. But the speakers didn't sound as good.

This is after running pro AUD. Need to run REW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.