AVS Forum banner

Noob needs help

795 views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Jonas2 
#1 ·
This is my first real setup besides a htib. I really could use some help connecting all of my gear. I'm a complete novice so I need to know what connectors & cables I need to buy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, I have 2 four pole speakon cables, one running to each of my sub cabs that has houses 2 subs each.

I have 2 inuke 6000dsp's to power the subs. Where do the 4 pole cables connect to on the inuke? What cables do I need to go from each inuke to my Marantz 8001 pre-pro?

My amp to power my speakers is a NAD M25. I believe it is balanced (not that I know what that means). Do I just buy RCA cables to connect the NAD to my Marantz 8801?

Thanks for bearing with me, I just don't wanna order the wrong cables.

Picture of my setup
3 JBL 4722n's
4 volt 10's
4 SI DS4

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#9 ·
You are correct about, the inuke need balance input and the Marantz do have the output.
From memory, I do not think the Marantz have the possibility of output for both at the same time (splitting the main channels into RCA and subs to balance).

You guys, all beat me to my last/previous post.

But I think, RCA connections for all the main speakers and a couple of adapter from RCA to Balance is the best option, the best? no but we have to try to work around the equipment and can be done with great results.

Ray

#6 ·
I am going to try to help you to the best of my knowledge and my spelling skill:)

When you say " four pole speakon cables, one running to each of my sub cabs that has houses 2 subs each." speakon, did you meant speaker?
Either way, the 4 pole is confusing has a term (a picture would help).

Your Marantz do have balance connectors (the bottom ones with 3 pins sticking out).
Unfortunately your amp does not have the female balance input, not a big deal since you can use an RCA connection between both (the Red and White ones on both [the one above the balance on the AV]).
So RCA it will.

For the Beringer powering the subs, you will need some adapter, again not a big deal.

If you could draw a draft and post a picture, of what you intend to do (Source [ps3/ps4] to AV [Marantz] to amps[Nad and Beringer] for speakers/ subs.

Ray

PS very nice list of equipment for the first system after HTIB, for most it is a dream system:)

#23 · (Edited)
When you say " four pole speakon cables, one running to each of my sub cabs that has houses 2 subs each." speakon, did you meant speaker?
Either way, the 4 pole is confusing has a term (a picture would help).
Ray, speakON (or Speakon) is the trade name of a twist-locking pro speaker connector made by Neutrik. Pics here: http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/speakon-cable-connectors/stx-series/.

+ 1 on the last two:)
You may be correct about all pre-outs would be active.
Let me know if you can find the answer:)
I've posted a question in the AV8801 owners thread. Answer pending. :)

But like you said, going XLR to XLR for the subs only, is not really worth it.
So would go all RCA from the Marantz and only have two XLR end for the inuke
Ray, I agree from a noise rejection perspective but we also need to consider pre-out voltage, particularly when driving pro amps. The XLR balanced pre-outs will punch out double the clean voltage of the RCA single ended pre-outs. Behringer iNukes are light on in their spec sheets (giving neither amplifier voltage gain or input sensitivity), but assuming a fairly typical voltage gain of 32dB (x40) and requiring a 113V swing (rated 1600W into 8Ω, 1kHz) gives an input sensitivity of ~2.8V. That is, a 1kHz signal of about 2.8V from the pre-outs is required to drive the iNuke to full rated Sine wave power. Even higher pre-out voltage peaks will be required to tap it's dynamic capabilities on real program material. XLR balanced connections are the best bet for providing unclipped pre-out voltage to the iNukes.

#10 ·
I don't know why it's so confusing for me. Balanced to unbalanced makes my head spin. I'm sure it's straightforward. It's just driving my crazy to have all this equipment and not not what to connect what with.

#19 ·
Thanks again.

Inputs and outputs confuse me a bit. So the RCA cables going from the NAD amp to the Marantz pre/pro get plugged into the output section of the marantz. The XLR cable going from the inuke amp (which I cannot tell if its male or female on the picture) gets plugged into the output section of the marantz (which looks like its female from the picture).

Can anyone confirm that the inputs of the inuke are male or female?

#24 ·
This is my first real setup...
Looks like a pretty good start. I can't wait to hear it when you upgrade.

JK, it's freaking awesome, I gotta get a house to fit horns in. BUT here in Los Ange-expensive-les it ain't gonna happen soon.

You need to have a grand opening party. I haven't been to Oz since my honeymoon (Melbourne, Alice, Ayers, Queensland, Sydney, truly wonderful). We'll each pitch in $20 to defray the electric bill :eek:

OK, by the time I fly there maybe I'll pitch in $2...hope that's OK...are you by Broome? I always wanted to go there. I'm sure my wife would be fine with it if I explained you needed connection help...:rolleyes:

#29 ·
Looks like a pretty good start. I can't wait to hear it when you upgrade.

JK, it's freaking awesome, I gotta get a house to fit horns in. BUT here in Los Ange-expensive-les it ain't gonna happen soon.

You need to have a grand opening party. I haven't been to Oz since my honeymoon (Melbourne, Alice, Ayers, Queensland, Sydney, truly wonderful). We'll each pitch in $20 to defray the electric bill :eek:

OK, by the time I fly there maybe I'll pitch in $2...hope that's OK...are you by Broome? I always wanted to go there. I'm sure my wife would be fine with it if I explained you needed connection help...:rolleyes:

Mate, I live in Cleveland Ohio.

#26 ·
Hi,
You must connect the pre/pre with M25 per rca cables and the inukes per xlr cables; to the inukes you go from SW1 xlr out to xlr channel A input in inuke and SW2 xlr out to the second inuke channel A input; in the inuke dsp setup select "Configuration " and take Bi-amp 1, than you can drive 2 subs from each inuke . When the subs are 4 ohm, you need 2 pole speakon connector to go from inuke output to each sub. In the end, you have SW1 to inuke with right pair of subs and SW2 to second inuke to left pair of subs.When biamp1 in the inuke is selected you control both outputs just with channel A gain knob.
Have the same setup but with Marantz 7702mk2 and Ultimax um-18🔊🔊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.