Another Dolby Atmos setup questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yanks1

post #1 of 5 Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another Dolby Atmos setup questions

I recently ran speaker tubes and wire for a 7.2 (fronts, sides, rears and sub) setup and never considered a 7.2.2 (fronts, sides, rears, and sub and ceiling) setup. My attention has recently been drawn to Dolby Atmos/DTX X and things related. (I still have time to remove the drywall and run additional cables for in-ceiling speakers if needed). Could you please help me understand a few things.

1. In a 7.1.2 setup - what happens if the audio track is just DTS/Dolby Digital? meaning, do the .2 speakers even play sound? would the receiver synthesise sound for it?

2. In-ceiling vs. upward firing - i am sure there is a debate on that - but whats the layman option?

3. Should I consider in-ceiling speakers for future proofing (just install them)

4. If I did install in-ceiling speakers (with a set of sides and rears already), those in-ceiling speakers would connect to...? I would need a 9.2 dolby atmos/dts:x enabled receiver?

thanx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 37
First, if you are doing .2, upward firing DA modules they should just be placed be on the top of your front speakers. In Dolby's speaker set ups, there is a diagram of .2 in ceiling. A lot more work then just putting a module on top of your front speakers. Personally, I would go with modules.

Second, on all sources, not just DD or DTS, DA will produce sound. That is in the DA portion of your rec'r.

Third, yes, whether module or in ceiling you would need a rec'r with nine chan Dolby Atmos enabled rec'r you would need to use speaker wires(or a 2 chan amp if it's a 7 channel rec'r that is Dolby enabled). 7 chans would be hooked up as they are now. The other two are for Dolby Atmos (making wiring to a module much easier than ceiling).

I hope this answers your questions
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2016, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so no need to remove ceiling drywall - just run another cable from the receiver through the conduit to the fronts as the up-firing speaker will sit on top on the front speaker

so if i bought the AVR4200 - they would connect to the Height ports?

I think i might go in-ceiling speakers - fairly easy for me to run wires

Last edited by PTMD; 10-25-2016 at 12:48 PM.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-25-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTMD View Post
I recently ran speaker tubes and wire for a 7.2 (fronts, sides, rears and sub) setup and never considered a 7.2.2 (fronts, sides, rears, and sub and ceiling) setup. My attention has recently been drawn to Dolby Atmos/DTX X and things related. (I still have time to remove the drywall and run additional cables for in-ceiling speakers if needed). Could you please help me understand a few things.

1. In a 7.1.2 setup - what happens if the audio track is just DTS/Dolby Digital? meaning, do the .2 speakers even play sound? would the receiver synthesise sound for it?

2. In-ceiling vs. upward firing - i am sure there is a debate on that - but whats the layman option?

3. Should I consider in-ceiling speakers for future proofing (just install them)

4. If I did install in-ceiling speakers (with a set of sides and rears already), those in-ceiling speakers would connect to...? I would need a 9.2 dolby atmos/dts:x enabled receiver?

thanx in advance
1. Yes, the speakers will still be used for all non-native Atmos and DTS-X content with there respective upmixers.

2. In-ceiling will give you a much better experience than upfiring modules, esp. with a x.x.2 setup, so I'd wire and plan for those if you can.

3. ^^^^ For future proofing with in-ceiling speakers, pre-wire for x.x.6 within the Dolby Atmos guidelines. Even if you're only using Top Middles for now. Wire is cheap and easy if you're not constructed yet, might as well cover all the bases.

4. Yes, an Atmos/DTS-X enabled receiver is required, capable of running the total number of desired speaker configurations.
7 channel for 5.1.2
9 channel for 7.1.2 or 5.1.4
11 channel for 7.1.4

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 10-25-2016 at 01:27 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 267
if you can easily run wires.. in-ceiling would be best, I love it in my 5.1.4 set-up up using my 9 channel Yammy A2050. And I drive the 2 front channels with a 2 channel Parasound Amp

Its called "Atmos" for a reason... Atmospheric; typical sounds above us. Plus you can mimic it with older blu-ray movies which adds a new flavor to old favorites

Tom
audiofreak38 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page