AVS Forum banner

Best setup under $1500

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dsrussell 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on my upgrade :)

1) Your budget.
$1000-$1500. I'd like to stay closer to $1000 if possible.

2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern.
For movies, mostly netflix and other 1080p sources (like PC).
For music, mostly electronics, rock, and sometimes pop. I care about good tight bass (doesn't need to be loud).
I don't play game on TV, but I might play some party games (which doesn't have that much focus on audio)

3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon.
TV: ----------------- Samsung UN65KS8000 (4k)
Front: -------------- 2 Energy C100
Center: ------------- Energy C-C50
Rear: --------------- Infinity Primus 150
Sub woofer: -------- Energy S10.3 (it's much better than I expected)
Receiver: ----------- Harman Kardon AVR 254 (no longer has the calibration mic)
Cable:-------------- 14AWG 100ft

4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice).
around 16x16, but has a high ceiling (2 floors). Also connects (semi open) to a family room and a kitchen. Basically, it looks spacious.

5) Any placement restrictions.
The TV is gonna be a bit far from the sofa (from one end to the other end of the wall). TV wall mounted, but I can get a media center below that to house the AVR.

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.
Nope.

7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider).
Emptek R55Ti x2 (front)
Emptek R56Ci
Emptek R5Bi x2 (rear)
SVS SB12-nsd
Some Denon AVR. For some reason I like the Denon sound signature; but I haven't tried any high end AVR from them yet (nor from anyone). I have a Denon D2000 headphone, and I love it.

Considering:
AVR-S710W
AVR-S720W
AVR-S910W
AVR-S920W
AVR-X2200W
AVR-X3200W

I also would like to reuse the Harman Kardon if possible (maybe I can save some $$?).

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)
I have the Denon D2000 and Fostex TH-X00 headphones. I absolutely love them both, if that helps explain my preference :p. My family tend to listen to audio in lower volume too. My parents like bass, but they always turn the subwoofer (Energy S10.3) down a bit because "too much bass can't handle".

9) Extra random questions
- Do I need a new receiver? The Samsung TV can upscale 4k well enough I think. It also has an optical audio out. I'm okay with buying a new AVR; just that I feel I don't need that. I like the idea of having Audysses calibration though :)
- Which speaker stand to get for the surround speakers?
- It's gonna be pretty hard to mount speakers on my living ceiling due to the shape of the house. How would I take advantage of Atmos in the future? Is there some type of stands I can use?
- Do you recommend getting 2 subs? If so, would double SVS SB12-nsd a good idea? Most likely I feel like I'll only use 1 sub though, since I mostly listen to stuffs with low volume.
- Does the 14AWG wire work with the new speakers, or should I get a different one?
- Recommendation for any other stuffs that I might need for a complete build.

Thanks a lot! I hope I can get some recommendations/advice soon so I can catch the shopping season deals :p

See less See more
#2 ·
I think bookshelf speakers up front and decent sub would be the best way to maximize budget to performance. The sub will handle everything below 80hz so the advantage the towers would provide is out the window.
I would go with 3 RB5I if you have room under the T.V to turn one on it's side. Otherwise get the R5Ci. Use what you have as surrounds for now and upgrade those later.
The sub you had in mind is a good choice. Set the Svs sub up front and put your energy sub nearfield for best results.
You can use you're existing HK receiver though not using room correction may yield disappointing results since it will retain your current settings.
You can get a Denon AVR-710W for $270.
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
All-in for $1006 assuming the sub is $399.

#3 ·
Thanks!

I think I'm gonna give away my current set up, so I'm thinking of getting:

Option 1: B-stock speakers without towers
1) Denon AVR-710W ---------- $270
2) SVS SB12-nsd ------------- $400
3) Emptek R5Bi x4 ----------- $315
4) Emptek R5Ci -------------- $137
Total: $1122 ($1217 after tax)

Option 2: $1500 B-stock speakers with towers
3) Emptek R55Ti x2 (front)--- $487
4) Emptek R56Ci -------------- $228
5) Emptek R5Bi x2 (rear) ---- $158
Total: $1543 ($1674 after tax)

At the moment, I'm leaning a bit on option #2 just because of the sexy look of the towers and center :p

About the AVR, can it power the above setup well? I'm okay with going a bit over the budget if it means I don't miss something important :). Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks!

I think I'm gonna give away my current set up, so I'm thinking of getting:

Option 1: B-stock speakers without towers
3) Emptek R5Bi x4 ----------- $315
4) Emptek R5Ci -------------- $137
Total: $1122 ($1217 after tax)

Option 2: $1500 B-stock speakers with towers
3) Emptek R55Ti x2 (front)--- $487
4) Emptek R56Ci -------------- $228
5) Emptek R5Bi x2 (rear) ---- $158
Total: $1543 ($1674 after tax)

At the moment, I'm leaning a bit on option #2 just because of the sexy look of the towers and center :p

About the AVR, can it power the above setup well? I'm okay with going a bit over the budget if it means I don't miss something important :). Thanks!
I have that exact receiver and have absolutely no trouble driving my speakers with are less efficient than the R55Ti's to ear bleeding levels. Stepping up to an X2200 will give you a better version of audyssey, a few added features you'll probably never use and a hair more power which is very negligible.

If budget permits, absolutely go for the towers over the bookshelves.
Alternatively you can go with option 1 and upgrade the sub to an SVS PB-2000 or HSU VTF-3 MK5.

Reactions: Ted Sheckler
#5 ·
The R5Bi B stock is out of stock. How often do they get restocked? Should I go with the A stock or get a 3.1 and wait a bit? :)

Will either of my old Energy C100 or Infinity Primus 150 be good enough to play as a surround speaker for the R55Ti and R56Ci?

Thanks!

#6 ·
Not only are the EMP Teks a beautiful speaker (I much prefer the red burl, which is a bit darker than the pictures show), they are a very nice sounding speaker for the price. But alas, we are all different in what type of sound makes us the happiest. So buying anything on faith, without the ability to send them back is a gamble … for ANY speaker.

As far as using different speakers for your surrounds, absolutely. They should work just fine, since the surrounds are a sound-effect channel. If you are into 5.1 concert videos, then surrounds with a similar timbre match is recommended.

#7 ·
Thanks!

I'm going with B stock because if I go for brand new and return, I'll have to pay the shipping fee for those speakers (which is like $500 last time I check). So I'm gambling with the B stock :p.

For future upgrade ability, how would you recommend adding support for Atmos? Which speakers would match this? Or is Atmos worth it at all?

#8 ·
Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you love them. And return shipping on those towers are approximately $60 if you're in the U.S. (that's what Brian told me before I ordered).

#9 ·
Thanks!

I hope that the B stock speakers come alright too :D

Final configuration:
3) Emptek R55Ti x2 (front)--- $487 (B stock)
4) Emptek R56Ci -------------- $275 (B stock)
5) Emptek R5Bi x2 (rear) ---- $191
Total: $1623

If I want a better setup than this (worth an upgrade over this), how much should be budget be?

#10 ·
LOL. I wouldn't even think about that right now, unless you simply don't like the speakers. I have no intentions of redoing my 5.1 setup ... period, even though I've auditioned speakers I liked a little better. The only thing I would think about in the future is a bigger, more powerful subwoofer (something that shakes your home to its core) :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.