Can you use powered Bose Lifestyle outdoor speakers with new Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old Today, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you use powered Bose Lifestyle outdoor speakers with new Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver?

My friend had a 16 year old Bose Lifestyle home theater setup that recently gave up the ghost. It had dual zone capabilities and he had two powered Bose Lifestyle outdoor speakers connected to zone 2 mounted on the patio.

I helped him replace the Bose system with an Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver and a 5.1 surround sound speaker set from Crutchfield plus a new flat-screen TV. Everything is set up and working, except for one thing: the old Bose Lifestyle outdoor speakers.

I have not connected them yet because I do not know for certain whether they are compatible with the Onkyo receiver. From what I understand (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), speaker impedance has to match the receiver, else, if the speaker impedance is too low, it can overload the receiver and bad things will happen. At least this applies to the surround speakers. The Onkyo is rated at 6 Ohms, and the surround speakers that we bought match that, so all is well.

However, I don't know whether this same principle also applies to powered speakers, in this case the old Bose powered Lifestyle outdoor speakers. We checked the manual but it did not document the impedance rating of these speakers. I have read comments online saying that Bose speakers don't follow normal rules due to how their technology works, and you have to be careful when connecting Bose speakers to normal receivers.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure we don't do anything stupid and do our research before we connect them to the system. I have not been able to find the answer to this question online so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Since the Bose speakers are self powered you can connect
Them to the 'zone 2 line out' jacks with RCA jacks.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BOSE is garbage. Throw them out
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 10:58 AM