Paradigm timbre matching - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wouldn't worry too much, there will be crazy people like myself willing to "Sacrifice" their V2 speakers for an "upgrade" to V3's.

The fact that the 40's are front ported intrigue me. I have 4 40's and I may want to off load them for a change.

I'm thinking 2 40's (front ported in the front) a new CC and ADPs for surround.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 01:36 PM

Has anyone clarified the finish options for the new V3 reference series? I had posted earlier that I had heard that only laminate was going to be available, and I was thinking "laminate" was "veneer". But I guess that's not the case.

So, will the new reference V3 models be available in veneer (wood)?????

Thanks,

Jeff Adams
post #33 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Well, jamesbe, if you want to offload some v2 40s, make sure you pm me your pricing before you do...

reaper
post #34 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesbe
I wouldn't worry too much, there will be crazy people like myself willing to "Sacrifice" their V2 speakers for an "upgrade" to V3's.

The fact that the 40's are front ported intrigue me. I have 4 40's and I may want to off load them for a change.

I'm thinking 2 40's (front ported in the front) a new CC and ADPs for surround.....

I'll take a pair of those 40 v.2's too.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. ... Yoda, ESB
post #35 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamsj
So, will the new reference V3 models be available in veneer (wood)?????
Holy cow, someone on another forum (HTF) has posted a copy of a brochure, and sure enough, it only talks about laminate finishes.

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??? Why would they eliminate veneer? I can't believe this is true!!!!!!!!!! So, now one has to buy their (not yet available) Signature series to get real wood? (Assuming they will be available that way)....

So the price increases seem quite drastic now that one considers the finish in the formula.

One very dissappointed would-have-been buyer,

Jeff Adams
post #36 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 02:21 PM

adamsj:

It's true. I spoke with a dealer up in Windsor today who has them in stock. I didn't think to ask why the veneer was no longer offered, but they where willing to deal on the V3 right away.
post #37 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBr
adamsj:

It's true. I spoke with a dealer up in Windsor today who has them in stock. I didn't think to ask why the veneer was no longer offered, but they where willing to deal on the V3 right away.
Well, with all respect to those who choose laminate v2's, unless they've done a really _outstanding_ job, I can't have a vinyl finished speaker in my living room. Maybe if it was a family room or bedroom. I'm really absolutely stunned. Their nearest competition, Energy and PSB, certainly offer veneer in their high-end offerings. Absolutely incomprehensible.

Jeff Adams
post #38 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 02:26 PM

I just gave 3 dealers in town a call and 2 knew NOTHING (said they weren't out yet), the other said they aren't ordering until they clear out the V2's I suspect they have MANY instock. I know when I bought my Studio 40's they just grabbed them from the back so they keep good stock here.

Soooo, nobody knows the pricing, but I'd be willing to get rid of my V2 Studio 40's for $800 a pair ?? Any takers? ;) They are mint.
post #39 of 47 Old 06-13-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesbe
I'd be willing to get rid of my V2 Studio 40's for $800 a pair ?? Any takers? ;) They are mint.
I presume that $800 is Canadian. If you drop that by another $200 Can you have a deal. ;)

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. ... Yoda, ESB
post #40 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

I always get this confused. Is the laminate the stuff that looks like real wood or is the veneer the stuff that looks like wood? Mine look black. Which do I have?

reaper
post #41 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 08:58 AM

I'm pretty certain you have the laminate, I don't belive the veneer comes in black.
post #42 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 09:51 AM

laminate (paper) looks like real wood and the veneer is real wood. Since there is no naturally occuring black wood my guess is black is simply mdf stained black. I have cherry [Edit: meant laminate] veneer which peals on the edges but it looks great otherwise.

post #43 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 11:20 AM

Actually you could get all 3 colors (black ash, rosenut, & light cherry) in both laminate and veneer. The easiest way to determine the difference (other than price), the veneer versions are a little wider and have curved sides... The laminate has a simulated wood grain that is less subtle than the real wood veneer.

--Paul
post #44 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

ok... I think I have black laminate finish. It does have a woodgrain in it. Black laminate sounds familiar to me. So, I guess only having laminate finishes on the v3 doesn't affect me at all.

reaper
post #45 of 47 Old 06-16-2003, 12:43 PM

I tend to agree... The veneer finsh wasn't worth the $400 extra to me... And based on what I've seen of the v.3's, the new laminate finishes look pretty good...

I'm 99% sure the link posted earlier (http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/cedi...image_05.shtml) are actually shots of the v.3 studio's in the new lighter color rather than the signature line... They look pretty good in the photo...
post #46 of 47 Old 06-20-2003, 10:38 AM

I helped LarryE set up his Studio 60 v2 main speakers with the Studio 20 v3 as surrounds and the v3 Studio center channel. I consider the timbre match to be quite good. Larry gives me credit for having a good ear, although I suppose someone with an extremely discerning ear might be able to tell a difference. Although I have more pricey Klipsch speakers in my system, I have to say that I became quite taken with these Paradigm speakers after listening to a variety of source material which included both music and movies.
post #47 of 47 Old 06-20-2003, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have monitor 11's .v2 and a center cc370 .V3. Not this combo should present the worst timbre matching issue if it did exsist. The sopeakers sound fine together in my setup and there are no timbre matching issues with these speakers. All of them sound great and match up very well.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page