Need input deciding between the RSL CG3 line and the NHT Super Series? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yoda23
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-28-2016, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Yoda23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need input deciding between the RSL CG3 line and the NHT Super Series?

I'm replacing my Polk Audio TL1600 speakers that's paired with the Pioneer VSX-830-K avr. I want something that's a step up from what I have. Since my bedroom is only 11 x 12, I thought the TL1 set was right for my room. It is very hard to hear most dialog on bluerays. I figured I need bigger speakers with at least a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter. I'm looking for bookshelf speakers that are not real huge. So I have been looking for speakers that are at least 9" high, 5" wide, and 6" deep. And the center speaker at least 6" high, no bigger than 16" wide, and 8" deep. I have settled between two brands, NHT and RSL. For NHL, I've been looking at their superzero 2.1 mini-monitors, the supercenter, and their ss 10 subwoofer. And for RSL is the CG3 line with their speedwoofer 10S subwoofer. Reviews for the NHT seem to be really good, but there doesn't seem to be hardly any reviews for the RSL CG3 line that seem to have just came out. Is there anyone who owns either of these speakers that have experienced how these speakers sound and how they perform?
noshank likes this.
Yoda23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-28-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
In an 11 x 12 room, either setup should work fine, though the NHT SuperZeros do have an extra 15Hz of mid-bass (85Hz) compared to the CG3 (100Hz). Plenty of professional reviews of RSL products linked to here:
https://rslspeakers.com/professional-reviews/

The NHTs would be fine too, though I probably wouldn't go with the NHT sub if you want visceral bass during HT...you'd be better off with an SVS PB1000 or SB12 (currently on sale for $400 at Amazon). The nice thing about the RSL sub is its built-in wireless capability, if you need it for optimal placement.

If you go with NHT, I would pick the SuperOnes for your front L/R and do the SuperZeros for the surrounds...the extra $100 and slightly larger size would be well worth the extra 30Hz or so of mid-bass you'd get out of them (56Hz), especially if you do any music listening. You could also do 3 SuperOnes across the front instead of the SuperCenter, if WAF allows...many people find that using a speaker identical to the mains as your center yields better results than the "matching" center. That said, I've heard good things about the NHT SuperCenter so it's not a bad speaker by any means.

One thing I'd say about the NHTs is that they have a beautiful glossy finish which looks very elegant and classy, unfortunately the website photos don't do them any justice at all.

Another nice compact speaker I'd look at are the Ascend HTM-200SE, due to their dual 4" drivers which make them sound much bigger than their size.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
PS. Rest assured, any of the 3 speakers discussed above would be light years better than the Polk TL series.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is online now  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 12-28-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,610
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda23 View Post
I'm replacing my Polk Audio TL1600 speakers that's paired with the Pioneer VSX-830-K avr. I want something that's a step up from what I have. Since my bedroom is only 11 x 12, I thought the TL1 set was right for my room. It is very hard to hear most dialog on bluerays. I figured I need bigger speakers with at least a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter. I'm looking for bookshelf speakers that are not real huge. So I have been looking for speakers that are at least 9" high, 5" wide, and 6" deep. And the center speaker at least 6" high, no bigger than 16" wide, and 8" deep. I have settled between two brands, NHT and RSL. For NHL, I've been looking at their superzero 2.1 mini-monitors, the supercenter, and their ss 10 subwoofer. And for RSL is the CG3 line with their speedwoofer 10S subwoofer. Reviews for the NHT seem to be really good, but there doesn't seem to be hardly any reviews for the RSL CG3 line that seem to have just came out. Is there anyone who owns either of these speakers that have experienced how these speakers sound and how they perform?
You might want to add the SVS prime satellite system to you list. But ask if you can substitute the PB1000 for the SB1000 if you have the room for the larger ported sub.

RSL and SVS both have in home trial periods with shipping both ways included in the price. Not sure about NHT.

My previous HT setup consisted of 5 NHT SuperZeros. I was quite happy with them but wanted more oomph for movies. I really liked them for music, they are voiced very nice for vocals, blues, jazz etc... They will fall short for rock and metal and other of that ilk.

Best thing to do would be to at least try the RSL and SVS in your own home. If the NHT offers shipping both ways then try to include them as well. Then you will know for sure which YOU like best.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-30-2016, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Yoda23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for the suggestions. Either of the speakers I get I'm only able to start out with two L/R front speakers and subwoofer because I can't afford to buy all the speakers at ounce. Then I will slowly buy a speaker(s) every month starting with the center then two surrounds.


Three questions, Will my pioneer vsx-830-k any drive any of these three speakers fine?, I have checked myself but I'm asking to be sure. Two, On the NHT's does 15Hz more or less really matter?..not sure I would notice. And three should I replace my speaker wiring?, because 2yrs ago my house was struck by lightning taking out my previous avr and speakers and possibly affecting wire resistance, so I haven't had the TL1's and pioneer avr very long.
Yoda23 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda23 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. Either of the speakers I get I'm only able to start out with two L/R front speakers and subwoofer because I can't afford to buy all the speakers at ounce. Then I will slowly buy a speaker(s) every month starting with the center then two surrounds.


Three questions, Will my pioneer vsx-830-k any drive any of these three speakers fine?, I have checked myself but I'm asking to be sure. Two, On the NHT's does 15Hz more or less really matter?..not sure I would notice. And three should I replace my speaker wiring?, because 2yrs ago my house was struck by lightning taking out my previous avr and speakers and possibly affecting wire resistance, so I haven't had the TL1's and pioneer avr very long.
Good for you, buying piece by piece is always better than buying everything at once with a limited budget and settling for lesser quality.

1. Your receiver should be fine with all 3, though the NHT will need a little bit more power to get the same volume due to its sealed cabinet design. Probably not to the extent of being a dealbreaker of course, unless you are looking to shake the walls.

2. The 15Hz matters if you like to listen to music in 2.0 --- for HT, with a decent sub that's properly set up, it shouldn't. Note that the SuperOne will be easier to blend with a sub than the SuperZero since the SZ will require a higher crossover, probably 100Hz or 120Hz whereas the SuperOne will be fine with the standard 80Hz. The SuperOne will therefore sound better in 2.0 with music.

3. Not sure about this question...luckily have yet to have any of my residences get struck by lightning.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-31-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Yoda23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a little confused on frequency response. I'm looking at all three of the speakers comparing, NHT is 85Hz-20kHz, SVS is 69Hz-25kHz, and RSL is 100Hz-20kHz. So does that mean the SVS will have better bass?
Yoda23 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-31-2016, 03:46 PM
Member
 
dswierenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have three different NHT setups in my house. I use the SuperZeros with an inexpensive sub connected to my PC and use them mostly for music.
I have a pair of Absolute Zeros with a Velodyne 12 inch sub in my bedroom and use them exclusively for music.
My HT setup is described in my signature below.


NHT has replaced the Absolute Zeros with the C1 speaker and has them as B-stock for $225 each--a great buy.


As you can tell I am prejudiced toward NHT. I primarily listen to music and like the sealed cabinet (acoustic suspension) especially for classical music. I can wholeheartedly recommend any of their speakers although I agree with an earlier comment that you might do better with the SuperOnes for better base extension and an SVS sub rather than the NHT sub. The base response for the SuperOnes or the SuperZeros is not all that important if they are being coupled with a good subwoofer. More important is good hi and mid-frequency response.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo BDP-103, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optima 12 & DLS-5000R subs
dswierenga is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-31-2016, 04:15 PM
Member
 
biga6761's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Piney Flats, TN
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I too wholeheartedly recommend NHT (see Sig). Some of my very favorite music speakers and great for movies too.

+ a million on the SVS sub but have seen it on the web here that the RSL Speedwoofer is no joke but needs multiples me thinks to have the impact of the Pb-1000

Also think I could be happy with any of the speaker offerings from SVS or RSL so either way your on the right track here bro.

Oh yea did I mention: NHT for life over here!!!!!

Lg 55ub8500 4K - Xbox 360 - Xbox One - Philips BDP7501 UHD - Sony BDP S1200
Marantz av7702 - 2 Crown Xls 2000 - 1 Crown Xls 1500 - 1 Crown Dsi 2000 - 1 Qsc Rmx 1450 - 1 Qsc rmx 850 - 2 Inuke 3000dsp - 1 Inuke 6000DSP
Speakers= NHT's} 2 _ 2.9's - 2 _ 1.5's - 4 _ Sb 3's - 1_ Ac-2
Subs=Bal Minidsp 2x4 -Near Field - 2 PA460 24/35hz MBM - 1 Bag End Infrasub 18 / Corner Loaded - 1 UM18-22 Full Marty - 1 Si HT18 D2 Stonehenge -Buttkicker LFE- 2 Aura Pro Shakers
biga6761 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-01-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,404
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda23 View Post
I'm a little confused on frequency response. I'm looking at all three of the speakers comparing, NHT is 85Hz-20kHz, SVS is 69Hz-25kHz, and RSL is 100Hz-20kHz. So does that mean the SVS will have better bass?
Yes, the lower the first number, the more mid-bass it produces. (Assuming the specs are honest...not always a safe assumption.)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is online now  
post #11 of 11 Old 02-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
In an 11 x 12 room, either setup should work fine, though the NHT SuperZeros do have an extra 15Hz of mid-bass (85Hz) compared to the CG3 (100Hz). Plenty of professional reviews of RSL products linked to here:
https://rslspeakers.com/professional-reviews/
Unfortunately, none of the listed reviews are for CG3. I'm left wondering, what is it that they did to make CG3 almost half the price of CG4.
khurramtm is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off