What to buy at BEST BUY? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What to buy at BEST BUY?

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here. Go easy on me

I'm looking for advice on a quality set up comprised of items that Best Buy sells.

I was gifted a Marantz AVR SR5011 this Christmas to build a set up around. (It's still in the box in case it needs to be returned.)

I'm able to get a corporate employee discount through a friend and my work consistently rewards me with $100 BB gift cards. Sitting on around $1.5K in gift cards right now. Not in a huge hurry and want to do it right.

The condo I rent is on the small side, Movie/Music mix is about 70/30. Initial thought is to save up a bit and do a 3.1 setup with B&W CM6 S2's for Fronts and a CM2 S2 Center. Martin Logan has some higher end stuff that I was eyeballing but I have yet to give them a listen.

Cambridge amps and B&W seems to be a classic (very British) pairing. Do I need a separate amp if I already have the Marantz? Would I want to drive more powerful towers in the future?

No clue what do do for a sub. Complete newb in that regard.

Note: Towers for fronts don't fit the initial budget/space, but I will be doing them in the future. (Potentially relegating the B&W CM6 S2's to sides or using them in a second zone.) I welcome any advice on towers though too!

BB doesn't sell Oppo players, but I will go "outside the box" given how good they are.

Thank you, guys!

*I also have this posted in the 2016 Marantz forum, but would like a more feedback*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avs1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1882929   Click image for larger version

Name:	avs.png
Views:	191
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1882937  
Calhoun612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Saber008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Are you only looking to do a 3.1 setup or do you plan to expand to 5.1, 7.2, 7.2.4 in the future? How loud do you plan to listen (reference levels?)? How large is the room you are in? Hi-Fi speakers might be plenty if you are in a small listening area. Amps in AVRs now adays aren't the best but if you don't push them too hard they should be enough power for most people. This will also depend on how efficient the speakers you get are.

I have not used Marantz but I've always liked Denon and never viewed the extra cost of the Marantz worth it, especially when you buy external amplification. Once you have an AVR that fits the needs above you can select on budget and preference between models. In a small space those speakers you listed will probably do fine but for larger spaces and more output they will likely struggle to maintain their dynamics.

Depending on your budget again you can go for Lower end subs like the BIC F12 (not good for music) or step up to brands like SVS, Hsu, etc, and so on which you can easily find reviews of around here. Another option is DIY which is a decent money saver and fun too.
Calhoun612 likes this.
Saber008 is online now  
post #3 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks Saber,

I can't really blow the doors off volume-wise in the current place, but I want to be able to more than fill the 16x14 main room.

The Marantz is 7.2 channel with 100W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz~20 kHz, 0.08% THD), but I will be expanding to 5.1 down the line. Maybe Dolby Atmos (up to 5.1.2) if it becomes a real thing. I'm happy to stick to 5.1 and have a second 2 channel zone as well.

I read lots of posts about the extra cost of the Marantz not being worth it, but hey, it was a gift so why not!

My budget won't allow for a $10K set of speakers, but I could see spending that for a whole set up. Again, not in a hurry so I can hit sales, use the discount, and get a pile of gift cards to offset cost.
Calhoun612 is offline  
 
post #4 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 849
buy stuff on sale/closeout.
Madmax67 and Calhoun612 like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #5 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
acras13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles , CA
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Get to know the Magnolia guys at your best buy , spend some time listening to the different speakers they offer , pick their brains , then take what they say with a grain of salt and compare opinions here to see if they are on point or just pushing whatever they might be getting incentives to move . Also find out if another BB in your area might have a better high end section , they all differ , as do the staff . Lucky for me my preferred BB to get to is also the Magnolia flagship in the area , and I have formed a pretty good relationship with the sales team , and more importantly the manager , despite mostly being a window shopper . Luckily they are enthusiasts and don't mind spending time showing the new and shiny . They even let me know when they were going to be clearing last years model receivers out , and hooked me up big time on a pioneer that would have normally been WAY outside my budget . You might luck out and get a deal on some towers that would have been out of range at full retail .
Madmax67, makaman and Calhoun612 like this.

It was like that when I got here
acras13 is online now  
post #6 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,016
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 954
I haven't listened to the CM6, but the CM10 S2 is the best sounding speaker I've heard at Best Buy (outside of the B&W Diamond line at the Magnolia Design Centers). So, you could start with CM6s and then move those back to surround duty when you upgrade to CM10s later on.

I'd also listen to the Elac UB5, I just hooked a pair up tonight and I'm really digging them. They're a 3-way, which is uncommon in bookshelf speakers, but something that I'm a big fan of as you don't muddy the midrange by asking one driver to handle both midrange and bass duty.
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #7 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 95
In a condo, your Marantz should suffice. It has pre-outs so you can add amps in the future if you want more power.

I can think of the following three options from Best Buy, two of which are in your defined budget:

SVS Prime Speakers:
Prime Bookshelves for Front Left/Right: $500
Prime Center: $450
Polk Audio T15 for Surround: $70
SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer: $500
Total: $1,520

Klipsch Reference Premier:
RP-150 for Front Left/Right: $420
RP-250C for Center: $370
Polk Audio T15 for Surround: $70
SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer: $500
Total: 1,360

SVS Ultra Speakers:
Ultra Bookshelves for Front Left/Right: $1000
Ultra Center: $699
Polk Audio T15 for Surround: $70
SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer: $500
Total: $2,270

SVS Prime is a fairly popular choice but they're known to be a tad on the bright side, Klipsch while popular for being bright seems to have done a 180 and these RP series speakers are anything but bright. SVS Ultra are considered to be one of the best bookshelf speakers available but they're twice as expensive as their prime series. Since you did not mention that you have a sub, I added an excellent one from SVS in each of the options.

I wouldn't worry about timber matching the surrounds unless you're planning to listen to SACD with surround. I've heard these Polks and they're quite good for the money.

You can save up for the Oppo UDP 203 or save and wait for UDP 205 player to be availble. For now, you can get a Sony BDP-S3700 for $75 from Best Buy.

Best of luck!!!
khurramtm is offline  
post #8 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
DrewB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Once you decide on what items you want I would defintely check for open box items and negotiate down. Returns will skyrocket soon as time runs out to return unwanted gifts.
DrewB is offline  
post #9 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 326
You could sell the gift cards for 90-95% on Ebay/other sales sites. You would probably get better value buying from internet speaker companies even after a Best Buy discount and losing 5-10% on the cards. Also, with internet companies like that, you can try them for 6+ weeks for no cost. That way you have the peace of mind you really like the speakers and they work for you. There are quite a few internet speaker companies, with highly regarded speakers, in your price range that will let you try them for no cost (you will be fully refunded, including shipping both ways fully covered.)

Since you are avoiding retail mark-up, you are probably getting twice the value for you dollar that way or more.
Madmax67 likes this.
checker9 is offline  
post #10 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Saber008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
They even let me know when they were going to be clearing last years model receivers out , and hooked me up big time on a pioneer that would have normally been WAY outside my budget .
Out of curiosity which Pioneer receiver did you get at a good price? I recently picked up an open box Pioneer SC-97 at Magnolia for $900. Although I'm still considering to return it for a lower level Denon. I'm not sure yet.
Saber008 is online now  
post #11 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Acras- I will definitely be spending some time with the Magnolia guys. Thankfully, I live about near BB corporate headquarters and they have a Magnolia Design Center less than 20min away. Maybe they have some fancy-pants B&W Diamonds in there

TTI- Wirecutter echoed similar great things to say about those ELAC UB5's, so I'll be looking for an opportunity to demo them. I appreciate the recommendation from a professional like yourself. If I just can't wait for sides, I think those would make great sides in a 5.1 setup!

Various- I hadn't really thought about selling the gift cards. It's basically free money that I get for being awesome at my job. It would be great to turn a pile of them into most, if not all, of the cost for a bangin' setup. I'd love for them to stretch too, so I will be clearance and open-box diving to see what might be returned after the holidays.

Khurramtm- Thank you for all the recommendations! It looks like some of the SVS subs and the Klipsch Reference series will be worth taking time to evaluate. I appreciate you putting together the bundles to get a good feel for the total cost

I usually gravitate right towards the top end of things in an effort to "future-proof" my purchases which is what steered me toward B&W. Is this a good route to take?
Calhoun612 is offline  
post #12 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I would blow that accumulated amount of gift cards towards a SVS 13 series or 16 series Ultra Sub in Piano Gloss black finish and then spend how you want with cash/credit on partial system of Fronts and Center or a whole set with surrounds say in the $2,000 to $3,000 range. What a start you have with the gift cards.


You can shop elsewhere to see more choices after the sub purchase at Best Buy.
190mph is offline  
post #13 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,076
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun612 View Post
Acras- I will definitely be spending some time with the Magnolia guys. Thankfully, I live about near BB corporate headquarters and they have a Magnolia Design Center less than 20min away. Maybe they have some fancy-pants B&W Diamonds in there

TTI- Wirecutter echoed similar great things to say about those ELAC UB5's, so I'll be looking for an opportunity to demo them. I appreciate the recommendation from a professional like yourself. If I just can't wait for sides, I think those would make great sides in a 5.1 setup!

Various- I hadn't really thought about selling the gift cards. It's basically free money that I get for being awesome at my job. It would be great to turn a pile of them into most, if not all, of the cost for a bangin' setup. I'd love for them to stretch too, so I will be clearance and open-box diving to see what might be returned after the holidays.

Khurramtm- Thank you for all the recommendations! It looks like some of the SVS subs and the Klipsch Reference series will be worth taking time to evaluate. I appreciate you putting together the bundles to get a good feel for the total cost

I usually gravitate right towards the top end of things in an effort to "future-proof" my purchases which is what steered me toward B&W. Is this a good route to take?
Like someone said earlier

troll magnolia for clearance/closeouts
I dont think their clearance can be beat
I bought a full set of B&W CM speakers when they closing out series one and going to series 2 for 66% off retail
The manager at one of the Chicago stores made me a huge deal and said if I took a full set he would hook me up
He did

Just today I bought a Yamaha A2050 receiver for $695 at Magnolia

I swear by them. You may have to make several visits and befriend some salespeople /managers there

But..well worth it
Nice no hassle return policy and if you buy their extended warranty its easy to deal with as well since you dont have to ship the item to a factory repair center

Warren
Calhoun612 likes this.

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon X4300 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 55KS8000 Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Vizio P50 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #14 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
acras13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles , CA
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber008 View Post
Out of curiosity which Pioneer receiver did you get at a good price? I recently picked up an open box Pioneer SC-97 at Magnolia for $900. Although I'm still considering to return it for a lower level Denon. I'm not sure yet.
Hey Saber , I got the SC95 , was on display , but they said they always demo'ed the SC99 when someone wanted to hear the Pioneer receivers , and since one of the Magnolia folks has to be in the space controlling things to even turn on the receivers I figured it hadn't been molested by some fool . Without spilling all the beans , I got the 95 for about what I could get an entry atmos enabled receiver from any other manufacturer . I am beyond thrilled with the performance and room correction compared to my previous Onkyo .

It was like that when I got here
acras13 is online now  
post #15 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,076
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber008 View Post
Out of curiosity which Pioneer receiver did you get at a good price? I recently picked up an open box Pioneer SC-97 at Magnolia for $900. Although I'm still considering to return it for a lower level Denon. I'm not sure yet.
I think they just did a markdown in the last few days
Based on where they usually mark them down I would say an SC 97 would be in the $550-600 range..open box

a lower level Denon..like say the X4200 should be in the $450 range..if you can still find one

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Hey Saber , I got the SC95 , was on display , but they said they always demo'ed the SC99 when someone wanted to hear the Pioneer receivers , and since one of the Magnolia folks has to be in the space controlling things to even turn on the receivers I figured it hadn't been molested by some fool . Without spilling all the beans , I got the 95 for about what I could get an entry atmos enabled receiver from any other manufacturer . I am beyond thrilled with the performance and room correction compared to my previous Onkyo .
Hopefully you paid sub $600 for the SC95

I bought a Yamaha A2050 today for $695...and traditionally the Yamaha's are always priced higher than the Pioneer's when they hit the final clerance

Warren
Calhoun612 likes this.

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon X4300 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 55KS8000 Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Vizio P50 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #16 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
Like someone said earlier
troll magnolia for clearance/closeouts
I dont think their clearance can be beat

Just today I bought a Yamaha A2050 receiver for $695 at Magnolia

I swear by them. You may have to make several visits and befriend some salespeople /managers there

But..well worth it
Nice no hassle return policy and if you buy their extended warranty its easy to deal with as well since you dont have to ship the item to a factory repair center

Warren
WOW, that is a great deal on the Yamaha! I didn't realize Magnolia had a separate online store and tey have FAR more options there (like the Oppo that isn't on the main BB site).

I may just return the Marantz for store credit and put that $800
towards a clearance steal!
Calhoun612 is offline  
post #17 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun612 View Post
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here. Go easy on me

I'm looking for advice on a quality set up comprised of items that Best Buy sells.

I was gifted a Marantz AVR SR5011 this Christmas to build a set up around. (It's still in the box in case it needs to be returned.)
A very generous gift and a good choice. Having said that, if you can exchange it for an Audyssey MultEQ XT32 enabled Denon for less, I'd jump at that.

Quote:
I'm able to get a corporate employee discount through a friend and my work consistently rewards me with $100 BB gift cards. Sitting on around $1.5K in gift cards right now. Not in a huge hurry and want to do it right.

The condo I rent is on the small side, Movie/Music mix is about 70/30. Initial thought is to save up a bit and do a 3.1 setup with B&W CM6 S2's for Fronts and a CM2 S2 Center. Martin Logan has some higher end stuff that I was eyeballing but I have yet to give them a listen.
Based on the very good measured performance of the B&W CM10 S2's (here), the CM6 S2's would be a great candidate. I recommend you go for the more capable 3-way CM Center2 S2 if at all possible though. Give the SVS Ultra Bookshelves and Center a serious listen too.

Quote:
Cambridge amps and B&W seems to be a classic (very British) pairing. Do I need a separate amp if I already have the Marantz?
No, the Marantz has 7 capable internal amps. Unless you listen at sustained very loud levels &/or have an abnormally long listening distance, the Marantz will be perfectly fine. I recommend you forget all about pairing (it's nonsense) and expensive electronics at this stage and concentrate your spending on speakers/sub to get the best SQ for your budget. The speakers you choose and their interaction with your room will determine the vast majority of what you hear. The electronics contribute only a minuscule amount.

Quote:
Would I want to drive more powerful towers in the future?
That's a common misconception Cal. Towers will generally have 2 - 3dB higher sensitivity and hence are actually easier to drive than their bookshelf counterparts.

Quote:
No clue what do do for a sub. Complete newb in that regard.
The sub is arguably the single hardest working component in a movie-centric audio system and should therefore consume a major proportion of your budget. The required sub capability depends on your total open room volume and listening level expectations. As a minimum, aim for a ported 12" design for a reasonable level of performance. SVS is the standout brand at Best Buy. Look at a single PB-2000 or PC-2000 (both $800) initially and aim for a second one if you move to a larger space. If you can manage it, the PC12-Plus ($1200) looks like good value.

Quote:
Note: Towers for fronts don't fit the initial budget/space, but I will be doing them in the future. (Potentially relegating the B&W CM6 S2's to sides or using them in a second zone.) I welcome any advice on towers though too!
Yes, starting with bookshelf mains and swinging them around to surround duty later is a very good strategy when building a system.

Quote:
BB doesn't sell Oppo players, but I will go "outside the box" given how good they are.
Oppo are very good. However, they are when it comes down to it, still a disc reader/digital transport and contribute almost nothing to the HT experience when the AVR does the audio processing and the TV does any video processing. Again, you don't want a premium player competing with your speaker/sub budget, so start with a $100 - $120 player from one of the usual suspects (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc).
sigpig, Madmax67, synccoil and 1 others like this.
GIEGAR is online now  
post #18 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
acras13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles , CA
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Hopefully you paid sub $600 for the SC95

I bought a Yamaha A2050 today for $695...and traditionally the Yamaha's are always priced higher than the Pioneer's when they hit the final clerance

Warren
I'll just say"yes" , and it wasn't in the last few days , it was a couple months ago , when the SC95 was going for over $1000 everywhere I could find . The new model Pioneers didn't have a release date at the time I got it , they were making room for new Integra's .
OP , you might want to just stick with the Marantz unless you see reliability problems posted in the owners thread , you will go crazy trying to pick the "best" receiver and end up just listening to everything on a bluetooth speaker . SOMEONE will tell you your Marantz is junk , someone will tell you anything you get is junk if you give it enough time . If you are going to get close to your return window and really might want to get something else , then return it. You could always get another one if you decide thats the best deal for you . Bottom line , you have to listen , in your own space to really know.
synccoil likes this.

It was like that when I got here
acras13 is online now  
post #19 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Member
 
ScottSFA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Your friend better watch out, that's a fireable offense for giving out discounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
ScottSFA is offline  
post #20 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
Your friend better watch out, that's a fireable offense for giving out discounts.
And that, new friend, is why it shall never be mentioned again.
Calhoun612 is offline  
post #21 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 09:07 PM
 
synccoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the western left coast
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber008 View Post
Out of curiosity which Pioneer receiver did you get at a good price? I recently picked up an open box Pioneer SC-97 at Magnolia for $900. Although I'm still considering to return it for a lower level Denon. I'm not sure yet.
Maybe the $900.00 Pioneer or OP's Marantz is OK they all sound alike or similar enough you wont notice at similar price points anyway but maybe keep the *significantly heaver similar or +legitimate power rating AVR if there is one in your grouping , dynamic peaks and transient peaks are all about transformer VA rating and so on throughout to the speakers and + 20db over average level wattage overhead to be clean and not clip can be a significant amount of entire current swing variance in milliseconds .,

Lot of pricing on today's AVR below ~$1,500.00 has less to do with the lump under the hood than features you don't need anyway and a decent AVR with a nice lump under the hood is ~$1.500 now anyway .

My 2 Sony ES AVR weren't cheap either but they never sweat at elevated levels or otherwise and are wholly descerete amplified and weigh north of 30lb.

keep in mind its current that moves the speakers not voltage so much but you need some of that too to push the current and stay within the inviolate ohms laws above a short circuit ,your speaker protesters thresholds and below clipping .

PWM switching amps (digital amps ) are not a new wheel for all this and most of of them ain't so hot in an AVR anyway.

Sony tried all that with some of the the Sony ES models alongside the usual class AB amps and they went back to wholly decsrete AB amps like the one in my 2 Sony ES AVR .


Digital amps are a cheaper to build marketing ruse at AVR levels IMO anyway and if the Sony boffins can't make it work in a premium AVR what does that tell you.?

Anybody think think Onkyo vis a vis virtually non existent Pioneer electronics today can out Engineer the Sony ,Dennon or Yamaha products on thier best day or not ? ,

Marantz below the arguably decent Marantz mono blocks and premium Pre Pro is wholly not legacy Marantz and hasn't been for 40 years or more Like Pioneer also but are proably as good as at least Pioneer and Onkyo AVR and everyone likes Dennon and Yamaha anyway


Pesonnaly Given the historty for one thing , I would steer clear of curent Poineer and mayne Onkyo product they are owned by the same maybe cheap carpetbagger LLC holding company now anyway and maybe think about a legitiamate Yamaha ,Dennon or Sony ES AVR

Last edited by synccoil; 01-08-2017 at 11:09 PM.
synccoil is offline  
post #22 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
If it's in play I'd check out an arcam. They got good power to grow with you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
makaman is online now  
post #23 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Saber008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by synccoil View Post
[B]Maybe the $900.00 Pioneer or your Marantz is OK they all sound alike or similar enough you wont notice at similar price points anyway but maybe keep the *significantly heaver similar or +legitimate
*edited rest away for space purposes*

I see what you are saying and it is the OP with the Marantz. I don't need a lot of power. For one, all of my speakers are in a "smaller" room and are 90 dB+ sensitivity. But I plan to use external amplification so I need an AVR with pre-outs which my older Sony and Denon S710 don't have. I also need 11.2 channel processing which the Pioneer SC-97 has but the GUI is so bad and the remote sucks. Not to mention it has only a global crossover and other little things which annoy me like that.

So I need an AVR with full 4k support, 11.2 channel processing, XT32, and Bass EQ optional. The older X4200 does not meet that but the X4300 does. At Magnolia they only had a Pioneer SC-95 and SC-97 left. I'll be looking around but until then I'm hooking my Denon S710 back and just not using my Atmos speakers.
Saber008 is online now  
post #24 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 10:07 PM
 
synccoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the western left coast
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun612 View Post
Thanks Saber,

I can't really blow the doors off volume-wise in the current place, but I want to be able to more than fill the 16x14 main room.

The Marantz is 7.2 channel with 100W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz~20 kHz, 0.08% THD), but I will be expanding to 5.1 down the line. Maybe Dolby Atmos (up to 5.1.2) if it becomes a real thing. I'm happy to stick to 5.1 and have a second 2 channel zone as well.

I read lots of posts about the extra cost of the Marantz not being worth it, but hey, it was a gift so why not!

My budget won't allow for a $10K set of speakers, but I could see spending that for a whole set up. Again, not in a hurry so I can hit sales, use the discount, and get a pile of gift cards to offset cost.
Quote:
I can't really blow the doors off volume-wise in the current place, but I want to be able to more than fill the 16x14 main room.


Well then no sense in buying more speaker than you need check the link here first and read the rest of my plausible long drivel and mono-price owner 10565 meat and potatoes if you like but the link should be fine on its own

Cnet says the whole 5.1 mono price 5.1 ain't half bad musically for what they are & briefly mention the better ~$650.00 Pioneer /Andrew Jones OD speakers w/LR towers as the next logical progression and thats a mean feat and more at Monoprice 5.1-10565 prices .


https://www.cnet.com/products/monoprice-10565/review/

Now for the drivel and meat and potatoes

You can fill all that' small space upp FINE and then some and rock your adjacent wall /floor neighbors in movie sound with a $500.00 AVR and cheap Energy Take 5.1 Classic or cheaper and arguably better sounding Monoprice 10565 5.1 compact speakers with the included 8"powered subs fine that wholly do not reveal size or price if you place LRC + Sub all on the short wall of an oblong room for room gain and (maybe )more so at 7.1 if the other two channels are bumping which isn't always the case Mono price 10565 can get nearly cleanly loud on music PLX II where they bump all the speakers and plausibly so at 2.1 and more than fine @ 5.1 .


They can fill that room + just fine but don't expect anything beyond very casual music listening even at *very plausible room filling elevated levels at that room size with a severe Bose 5.1 acoustic-crap style but not nearly as bad mid range vacancy out of all that .


None of it is audiophile grade anyway . Mono price 10565 are plausible 2 way speakers for what they are with mid range vacancy typical of the breeds not HTIB rubbish and do movie's pretty fair for compact speakers at multiples of what they cost and that 200 wpc 8" powers sub is pretty mean like an angry pit bull puppy ☺\




While significantly better than the above for music I don't see so much of anthing on this page is reference audio or plusibly close paired with a $900.00 AVR and real amplifier might melt them all anyway

I have the Mono price 10565 5.1 with a Sony ES REAL 110 wpc rms all channels at full bandwidth 7.1 Sony ES weighty lump under the hood in my hideout space /office with my Sony XBR 850C to watch next to me up on the wall here .

Mono price 10565 5.1 at the appropriate small speaker setting and 110 Hz Xover I have have to get up to ~ 0 db on the wholly accurate digital loud pedal trouble to half way sweat those wholly remarkable at the price Mono price 10565 speakers on the brawny Sony ES AVR
GIEGAR likes this.

Last edited by synccoil; 01-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.
synccoil is offline  
post #25 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM
 
synccoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the western left coast
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber008 View Post
*edited rest away for space purposes*

I see what you are saying and it is the OP with the Marantz. I don't need a lot of power. .

So I need an AVR with full 4k support, 11.2 channel processing, XT32, and Bass EQ optional. The older X4200 does not meet that but the X4300 does. At Magnolia they only had a Pioneer SC-95 and SC-97 left. I'll be looking around but until then I'm hooking my Denon S710 back and just not using my Atmos speakers.
thanks for the correction I will edit so I dont look like a bigger fool or my usual deranged ,drooling ,depends daiper soaking geriatric fool self around here

Lotta folks and I like Denon , Yamaha and Sony ES ,the products and longstanding uninterrupted good reputation's the others don't have so much back all that up anyway .
and they all the usual popular formats .

Last edited by synccoil; 01-08-2017 at 11:15 PM.
synccoil is offline  
post #26 of 70 Old 01-08-2017, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by synccoil View Post
thanks for the correction I will edit so I dont look like a bigger fool or my usual deranged ,drooling ,depends daiper soaking geriatric fool self around here

Lotta folks and I like Denon , Yamaha and Sony ES ,the products and longstanding uninterrupted good reputation's the others don't have so much back all that up anyway .
and they all the usual popular formats .
Sync, your posts show a unique gift of being barely comprehensible and very entertaining at the same time.
gajCA, Saber008 and synccoil like this.
GIEGAR is online now  
post #27 of 70 Old 01-09-2017, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I haven't listened to the CM6, but the CM10 S2 is the best sounding speaker I've heard at Best Buy (outside of the B&W Diamond line at the Magnolia Design Centers). So, you could start with CM6s and then move those back to surround duty when you upgrade to CM10s later on.

I'd also listen to the Elac UB5, I just hooked a pair up tonight and I'm really digging them. They're a 3-way, which is uncommon in bookshelf speakers, but something that I'm a big fan of as you don't muddy the midrange by asking one driver to handle both midrange and bass duty.
I like the CM6 as much as the CM10, albeit for different reasons. I tend to prefer small stand mount speakers for their lack of cabinet coloration, but the 3 way B&W floor standers (including my CM9's) are VERY good with vocals.

The CM6 is a solid choice. I'd be looking at the Martin Logan Motion 35XT too.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is online now  
post #28 of 70 Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 6,076
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
I'll just say"yes" , and it wasn't in the last few days , it was a couple months ago , when the SC95 was going for over $1000 everywhere I could find . The new model Pioneers didn't have a release date at the time I got it , they were making room for new Integra's .
.
The SC95 was like $899 back in October 2016 at Magnolia...per a thread here on AVS
So depending on when you purchased timing probably was on your side
Later the price did go back up
Something I will never understand... how the prices go back up on something that is being closed out at the end of the season....

I will be at a larger Magnolia store...with two listening rooms...tomorrow and will see what they have left. I was in there before Christmas and they had two tables full of clearance merchandise sitting at the entry

I find the two listening room Magnolia to have the best mix of clearance selection and pricing...The one listening room stores have a small selection and the Magnolia design centers not doing markdowns as fast and furious as the larger Magnolia home theater stores


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon X4300 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 55KS8000 Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Vizio P50 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #29 of 70 Old 01-09-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 9,491
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked: 2783
Check out Martin Logan and Wharfedale too if you get a chance.

I've owned B&W speakers for decades and while expensive they are excellent and last seemingly forever.

I tested my older B&W bookshelves that my daughter now has, the older CM1 Cocept 90s that B&W's rep here on AVS said still share the sonic signature with current B&W bookshelves, and found the Martin Logan's to be slightly more detailed which I liked.

Good news is that Best Buy does have many excellent products for you to audition/buy including the excellent SVS subs.
Calhoun612 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #30 of 70 Old 01-10-2017, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Check out Martin Logan and Wharfedale too if you get a chance.

I've owned B&W speakers for decades and while expensive they are excellent and last seemingly forever.

I tested my older B&W bookshelves that my daughter now has, the older CM1 Cocept 90s that B&W's rep here on AVS said still share the sonic signature with current B&W bookshelves, and found the Martin Logan's to be slightly more detailed which I liked.
I'll definitely give them a listen, thank you.

On the B&W topic: I feel like the monitors (either the Diamond 805 D3 or the CM6 S2's) are pretty versatile. The could be place holders for more substantial future fronts in a 5.1 setup or do just fine in a 2.1 arrangement. Is this an area to spend a big chunk of the speaker budget? Wondering if the quality/longevity of the B&W 805's would be a prudent investment.

Centers? Spend the money.
Sub? Spend the money.
Processor/Amp? Spend the money.

Not as many mentions on the fronts and sides though :/
Calhoun612 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off