1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfa1

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Deftech 9080x for music ?

Anybody with some advice as to the 2 channel sound quality of these speakers. I understand their merits for HT sound , but would like some user feedback for 2 ch. audio quality , and comparison's if possible. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

must not be a popular choice for 2 channel apparently .
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked: 2665
No, they aren't.

DTs are generally favored by HT folks, I almost never see music listeners praising them. My guess is, that's because the DT sound signature is often described as "bright" with a smiley-shaped EQ curve, which many people enjoy for movies but less commonly for music especially midrange-heavy genres. They are somewhat similar to SVS Prime speakers in this regard.

Music listeners usually prefer "neutral" or sometimes, "warm" speakers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Actually the comment or concerns that I hear from people when telling them what I use, isn't so much about DefTech's signature sound (which is entirely personal as to whether you like it or not), it's the fact that their bipolar, most music only listeners that I've talked with simply dismiss any bi-pole speaker as not having accurate reproduction due to the expanded soundstage that they are capable of.

To the OP:
Unless your buying speakers to simply show off, brag about, or just follow the crowd... The reality is, with any speaker, you will have to listen to them and decide for yourself if you like their sound or not. Best that someone that likes them, such as myself, can tell you is that they are a quality made speaker and if you do like them, you won't be disappointed in that respect.
Remember, besides the measurements, audible sound is nothing more than how "your" brain interprets the sound waves, so you're the only one who can accurately say which sound qualities appeal to you.
Good Luck with your search.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2017, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
No, they aren't.

DTs are generally favored by HT folks, I almost never see music listeners praising them. My guess is, that's because the DT sound signature is often described as "bright" with a smiley-shaped EQ curve, which many people enjoy for movies but less commonly for music especially midrange-heavy genres. They are somewhat similar to SVS Prime speakers in this regard.

Music listeners usually prefer "neutral" or sometimes, "warm" speakers.
I strongly disagree with most of this. Hometheaterreview.com gave a 5 star review to the bp9060's, strongly praising music reproduction as well as home theater performance, and sound and vision not only gave the 9080's a great review, but named them their top pick in speakers for 2016. In addition, both the 9060's and 9080's have an extremely flat frequency response as you can see from the test bench results in the sound and vision review - so I'm not sure where you are getting a smiley shaped eq curve.

I finally got a chance to listen to the 9060's at a Magnolia room, and they sound great to my ears, better than the more expensive Martin Logan and B&W speakers in Magnolia in my opinion. They are brighter than the previous 8000 series (I have 8060 towers), but not too bright in my view.

It is true that some 2 channel "purists" don't give much consideration to def tech's bp series because their bipolar design does not give as precise imaging as well designed direct radiating speakers. However, ,the trade off is you get a much more open and broad soundstage and sweet spot, and bipolar speakers more accurately recreate acoustic and orchestral instruments which naturally send out sound in all directions. While some certainly prefer direct radiating speakers for music, you have to decide whether the more open soundstage and more lifelike recreation of musical instruments is more important than more precise imaging - I would recommend you listen for yourself and then decide what sounds best to you.
gajCA likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have not heard the 9080x, but owned BP10B's and currently own SM65's. IMO, both sound very balanced for music. This is my opinion in my room, so YMMV.

Are you able to demo the 9080x in your room?

Given that they have powered subs, if bass is a priority for your music listening (and you do not plan to add a separate sub), the 9080x have some advantages in terms of bass output adjustability and reduction of current demand on your amplifier.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2017, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

i plan on auditioning them , but i am going to have to dig around to find some place that has them at least , setup properly. i am intrigued by the "wall of sound concept , and also having "powerful , controllable bass". The low price point is also attractive.

Last edited by cubsfan; 01-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page