AVS Forum banner

Newb home theater speaker choices overload

2K views 71 replies 25 participants last post by  RayGuy 
#1 ·
The wife was super kind and gave me a Yamaha rx-381 for Christmas to replace our 10 year old HTIB. Obviously, a new receiver will require new speakers. :D Especially since the old sub was passive... I started researching speakers with the usual candidates I was knew about Polk, Klipsch, etc, now I have a list of..well I forgot how many makes. The room is approximately 16X20 and the new system will mainly be used for home theater/TV. I have a dedicated 2 ch setup, so music is covered there with Dalquist M905s (love them). I think I have narrowed it down to the following that will have WAF. This will be towers and center channel

Q- Acoustics- 3000 series
Monitor Audio- Silver series
Emptek Impression series
Klipsch RF-7II got a great quote from local dealer (probably the only local dealer around here)
Martin Logan- Motion series
Wharfedale- Diamond or Reva series
Polk- RTIA 7s or 9s
Kef- Q series- cabinet vinyl is a concern with these.

Looking for suggestions/recommendations on which way to go here. :confused:

Thanks in advance!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you'll be doing HT/TV only, a good set of bookshelves and sub would be plenty. With no music being played you won't need the additional low end extention the towers would provide since you're crossing over at 80hz anyway. You can put the money saved from the towers towards a good sub or center.

#6 ·
The circumstances will determine what speaker/system is correct for you. Of course, Budget matters too.

The room is 16ft x 20ft, but will the system be on the 16ft wall or the 20ft wall? That matters.

Next what is your TV? How big?

Next, what about the aesthetics? Are bookshelf going to work better in the room, or do you have space for Floorstanding, and YES, floorstanding will need more space.

Unless I missed it, you did not give a working budget for the AV Receiver and Speakers. I'm going to guess that the budget is going to need to be in the $2000 to $4000 range. But purely a guess on my part.

Lastly, while it would help to convey it to use, you need to know about the Room Acoustics? Is this a bare empty room? Window? Curtain? Carpets/Rugs? Ceilings? Doorways? Fireplaces? These all matter relative to what is possible in the room.

Yes, there are hundreds of possibilities, but budget and circumstance will narrow down what is realistic in that room.

Steve/bluewizard

#10 ·
65 inch LG 4K tv. Tv is in the corner with a sectional in the opposite corner. Laminate floors but will be adding area rug. This is our den/my man cave so there is all sorts of stuff on the walls. Vaulted ceilings. One 4 ft doorway. Couple Windows behind sectional farthest from tv (if that makes any sense). Budget around 2k for fronts and center channel. Figure I will add a sub and upgrade surrounds later.

I would also recommend taking a look at the Chane's as well:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/index.php?route=module/productbundles/listing

I just got these in a few days ago and set them up and they sound great!
Those get rave reviews but unfortunately they are low on WAF. :mad:

#7 ·
I have both the KEF Q and R series speakers and I don't think you will have to worry much about the cabinet finish on the Q's....it's of good quality. Given the current sale they are also an excellent value for the sound they bring. Of course listen to as many as you can and get what sounds best to you.

Reactions: ace96
#8 ·
Out of those choices for your intended use the RF-7IIs would be far the best choice. The most efficient and dynamic of the group and the most "theater" like sound.

And IMO a pair of small(ish) bookshelf speakers and a sub are not even close. You're going to need good subs no matter what speakers you get out of that list anyway.

#15 · (Edited)
EDIT: my mistake, I thought you meant the poorly received R series Klipsch, not the very well received but expensive RFs...if you can get a deal on those and you like the sound go for it.

I liked the Q Acoustics Concept 20s a lot, ALMOST as good as my Martin Logan LX16s for far less...but that was for music only.

BUT if I were looking for a tower based HT system today, no music, I'd be very very very tempted to audition the Klipsch RP, (not the horrid RF), 250F at $600/pair.

I'd take the Crutchfield price into Best Buy with their easy returns and price match guarantee and have them in my home in a flash.

The RP series has been very very well received unlike the love it/hate it RF series.

I'd expect huge impact and dynamics with very little power needed.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZlZmX...lipsch-Reference-Premiere-RP-250F-Cherry.html

#16 ·
for hometheater I would definitely try out some horn speakers like klipsch...very very dynamic.

#25 ·
The comment that someone made about the EmpTeks stinking at bass made me laugh as for HT a sub is mandatory no matter what speakers you choose so as long as the front three play down to 65hz or so is all you really need.

ALL bookshelves stink at low bass...as do most towers for that matter, (low bass=28hz for music and lower for HT).

What speaker brand(s) have you actually heard and liked and more importantly what is your budget?

Are we talking 5 speakers or something else?

For $1100 a 5.0 setup of HSU speakers would be excellent.

Their 5.1 packages start at $1360 delivered.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

#32 ·
To the OP let me apologize for my mistake in my prior posts; I have edited them.

I thought you meant the poorly received R series Klipsch, not the very well received but expensive RFs...if you can get a deal on those and you like the sound go for it...and if your wife likes them too you are golden.

#37 ·
#38 ·
I would listen to these speakers if at all possible. I have Klipsch so the rf7ii have my vote but you may not like the sound. For movies the big Klipsch are hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

#39 ·
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the RBH Impression series. I have everything in cart except for sub. I am currently looking at SVS subs as them seem to best bang for the buck. Is the PB-1000 any better than the SB-1000 or vice versa? Thanks.

#41 ·
PB plays louder but eats up more space in the room.

If your room is open to other rooms, the PB makes sense since the bass needs all the help it can get in terms of output. If you can close the doors to this room, SB would be more than enough.

In terms of dealing with room modes, two subs, placed as mirror images of each other in the room (like diagonal corners) will give you much better quality sound.

#43 ·
Go listen to some speakers. Buy what sounds good to your ears. You will have to live with what you buy. The folks on this forum don't have too.

Bring some movies and movies you like. Can you hum along to the music and tap your toes. Special effects and explosions are great but listen to the dialog.

Are the voices clear. Is each voice unique. Does it sound like a real human voice.

Who cares how Star Wars Episode 69 sounds with X fighters zooming across your room and weapons bouncing off your walls. If the speakers can't do dialog and music they are worthless.

Dave

#55 ·
The TV can be moved to one wall. Have some flexibility with it. Originally it was on the wall then after new flooring went down, Wife thought it should go to corner which messed up my 2 ch plans. Have low end Yamaha Rx-381.
There's no need to move the setup from the corner if it doesn't suit. You really want to keep the bride happy now that you're shopping for the biggest, bad-ass sub you can afford. :D

Not only can corner placement/diagonal positioning utilise the space well, but it actually works really well acoustically because:

• The mains have similar relationships to the room boundaries, rather than the possibility of one beside the wall and one "out in the open", giving them similar in-room response.

• Early side-wall reflections are virtually eliminated.

• In a smaller room, there's no wall or window directly behind the listening seat, negating flutter echo (sound from the LCR "zinging" backwards and forwards between parallel surfaces).

• The surrounds can be positioned at a greater distance, giving better coverage and a more diffuse soundfield.

• A sub can be positioned (hidden!) behind the entertainment unit to maximise output from corner loading, and also be directly between the mains.

Here's my shameless appeal to authority... acoustical engineering guru Dr Floyd Toole really likes the diagonal layout. He said (something like): "I really like it... I would not hesitate to deliberately design a room in this way." (See page 9 here.)

#56 ·
I will once everything arrives. Scheduled for Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

Just pulled trigger on Impression series. Woo hoo! Now to find a sub.
The TV can be moved to one wall. Have some flexibility with it. Originally it was on the wall then after new flooring went down, Wife thought it should go to corner which messed up my 2 ch plans. Have low end Yamaha Rx-381.
There's no need to move the setup from the corner if it doesn't suit. You really want to keep the bride happy now that you're shopping for the biggest, bad-ass sub you can afford.

Not only can corner placement/diagonal positioning utilise the space well, but it actually works really well acoustically because:

• The mains have similar relationships to the room boundaries, rather than the possibility of one beside the wall and one "out in the open", giving them similar in-room response.

Early side-wall reflections are virtually eliminated.

In a smaller room, there's no wall or window directly behind the listening seat, negating flutter echo (sound from the LCR "zinging" backwards and forwards between parallel surfaces).

The surrounds can be positioned at a greater distance, giving better coverage and a more diffuse soundfield.

A sub can be positioned (hidden!) behind the entertainment unit to maximise output from corner loading, and also be directly between the mains.

Here's my shameless appeal to authority... acoustical engineering guru Dr Floyd Toole really likes the diagonal layout. He said (something like): "I really like it... I would not hesitate to deliberately design a room in this way." (See page 9 here.)

Thanks for the insight. Will see how everything lays out once it arrives.

#60 ·
Everything arrived Wednesday. I ended up purchasing a b-stock PSA 15V sub for a good price (I don't see anything wrong with it) plus PSA threw a sub cable. Got everything hooked up yesterday. Quite pleased so far although haven't spent much time with it. I have crossover set at 80 on receiver but what is recommended for sub?

#61 ·
Have never had any problems with B-stocks, it's usually just very minor cosmetic blemishes that are only noticeable within a foot and if you're looking for it.

Try different crossover points, it will depend on the speakers, your room, and personal usage/tastes.

#62 ·
Congratulations on your purchases. I too have the Impression Series and a PSA sub and have had excellent results. Obviously subwoofer placement is the key. Once you have that worked out, I’d advise you to play with the gain until you feel there is a good balance between speaker and sub. Run Audyssey (first microphone position) until the sub trim level has been set at around -6 dB. This may take several attempts. Once that is done, go through the entire Audyssey setup (6 or 8 mic position, depending upon your Audyssey program). Any adjustments can then be made within your AVR, and not through the sub’s gain control.

#63 ·
Congratulations on your purchases. I too have the Impression Series and a PSA sub and have had excellent results. Obviously subwoofer placement is the key. Once you have that worked out, I?d advise you to play with the gain until you feel there is a good balance between speaker and sub. Run Audyssey (first microphone position) until the sub trim level has been set at around -6 dB. This may take several attempts. Once that is done, go through the entire Audyssey setup (6 or 8 mic position, depending upon your Audyssey program). Any adjustments can then be made within your AVR, and not through the sub?s gain control.
I was under impression that was a Denon feature? I have Yamaha AVR

#66 · (Edited)
I recommend that you consider gently used gear or speakers. Savings are generally between 35% - 50%. for near mint quality gear. You'd have the potential to double your quality buying used gear. I've done it for years with only one seller trying to pull a fast one. I caught him in the act and was compensated for his despicable and unlawful attempt to sell me Gallo speakers where one speaker was dented. I couldn't determine any detrimental effect with the sound but, these were Anthony Gallo's original and now classic spherical speakers and earned a class A stereophile rating. I still own them as they are crated and one day might fetch a pretty nice sum, because of their iconic status. Typically, as long as you're careful, patient and willing to do your due diligence, when it comes to research, investigating the sellers feedback on sites like Audiogon or Ebay. I'll always try to find a demo or used unit before buying new. Using Paypal provides an internal safety mechanism to return your item for full refund, so long as you play by their rules. Good luck. When it comes to audio. As always, spend copious hours here at AVSForum to pick the brains of as many resident geniuses as you can. Cheers! P.S. Never pay full retail. Usually most dealers offer a discount for most products with exceptions. Some professional grade gear is only sold by pro dealers and installers. Popular or long awaited gear might be backordered. Early adopters usually face full retail because of very limited availability. Some products aren't discounted because they are already priced quite fairly, for example, products from Oppo or Emotiva. Good Luck.

#69 ·
Be sure to manually set all speakers to small after running YPAO. Some AVR's (if not all) default the mains to large after calibration procedure. Adjust crossover setting to your liking, but should not be set lower than the default setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.