bookshelf speakers Small need it - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #1 of 70 Unread 02-05-2017, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 12
bookshelf speakers Small need it

i still using Logitech z-5500 satellite speaker connected Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier

i looking good bookshelf speakers Small for replace logitech z-5500 satellite speaker
why i need because powerful Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier my logitech z-5500 satellite speaker abit tear woofer and abit distortion because to much powerful Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier

i looking good bookshelf speakers small only we don't need bass for bookshelf speakers i prefer tweeter + mid ranger only because we have subwoofer 15inch kicker deep bass

bookshelf speakers for mid ranger woofer must be 5inch below or 4.5 inch or 4inch or 3inch enough
8 ohm

usage for Music sound must be balance bookshelf speakers

Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier spec Watts
2 ch × 75 W at 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz,
0.05 %, 2 ch driven (IEC)
2 ch × 140 W at 4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz,

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/h...070/index.html

Logitech z-5500 satellite speaker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Unread 02-05-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Too big?

Your receiver will have zero problems driving these.

Excellent tweeter; you can google reviews.

https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 70 Unread 02-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 139
what is your budget for speakers?

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

post #4 of 70 Unread 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Look at the Canton Plus gx.3
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-pair/1.html

post #5 of 70 Unread 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Too big?

Your receiver will have zero problems driving these.

Excellent tweeter; you can google reviews.

you mean too big for logitech speaker ?? = no its Logitech speaker are small i think 3inch z-5500 satellite speaker

i don't have AVR you may see that i using http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/h...070/index.html

you was give link https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html

i saw https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acous...kers-pair.html
full spec
  • Nominal Impedance: 6ohm
  • Minimum Impedance: 6ohm
  • Sensitivity: 86dB
  • Recommended Power: 15 - 75w

i know my amp will work 6ohm i think will more watts maybe over 120watts i think
i think speaker driving power 120watts for over mean get problem speaker ?
post #6 of 70 Unread 02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 606
What is your budget?
Where are you located?

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 70 Unread 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopala33 View Post
you mean too big for logitech speaker ?? = no its Logitech speaker are small i think 3inch z-5500 satellite speaker

i don't have AVR you may see that i using http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/h...070/index.html

you was give link https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html

i saw https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acous...kers-pair.html
full spec

i know my amp will work 6ohm i think will more watts maybe over 120watts i think
i think speaker driving power 120watts for over mean get problem speaker ?
No I meant is the speaker I suggested too big for the space where that tiny logitech speaker is?

That amp is overkill from a money standpoint but even a 1000 watt amplifier would work with pretty much any speaker.

On your desk, sitting close, you would never turn the volume up high enough to cause the speaker any problem.

But yes, if you wanted to destroy a speaker with ANY amplifier the easiest way to do that is to turn the volume to maximum where the amp clips and destroys the speaker or the amp overdrives the speaker to the point that the voice coils overheat and fail.

But any sensible person would not do that.

The specs for a speaker amp requirement are there more to save you money than anything else because a larger amp would have a lot of unused power which some audio enthusiasts actually say is a huge advantage.

My speakers are rated to 75 watts and my amp to 90 and there are no problems and the one time I played the speakers very very loud, far louder than I like, the speaker made it clear that I should stop by starting to distort but they were not damaged.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 70 Unread 02-07-2017, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No I meant is the speaker I suggested too big for the space where that tiny logitech speaker is?

That amp is overkill from a money standpoint but even a 1000 watt amplifier would work with pretty much any speaker.

On your desk, sitting close, you would never turn the volume up high enough to cause the speaker any problem.

But yes, if you wanted to destroy a speaker with ANY amplifier the easiest way to do that is to turn the volume to maximum where the amp clips and destroys the speaker or the amp overdrives the speaker to the point that the voice coils overheat and fail.

But any sensible person would not do that.

The specs for a speaker amp requirement are there more to save you money than anything else because a larger amp would have a lot of unused power which some audio enthusiasts actually say is a huge advantage.

My speakers are rated to 75 watts and my amp to 90 and there are no problems and the one time I played the speakers very very loud, far louder than I like, the speaker made it clear that I should stop by starting to distort but they were not damaged.
you says No I meant is the speaker I suggested too big for the space where that tiny logitech speaker is?
i says i don't need too big for speaker i prefer small speaker

you says On your desk, sitting close, you would never turn the volume up high enough to cause the speaker any problem.

i says yes my desk sitting close i don't turn the volume up high

you says But yes, if you wanted to destroy a speaker with ANY amplifier the easiest way to do that is to turn the volume to maximum where the amp clips and destroys the speaker or the amp overdrives the speaker to the point that the voice coils overheat and fail.

i says i don't want destroy a speaker i wont do turn the volume to maximum amp

you says My speakers are rated to 75 watts and my amp to 90 and there are no problems and the one time I played the speakers very very loud, far louder than I like, the speaker made it clear that I should stop by starting to distort but they were not damaged.

i says my logitech speaker i turn volume set -20dB get abit distort but sound loud enough i think logitech speaker can't handle over power amp so i turn volume set -25dB sound clear but not enough sound so i turn volume set -23 sound clear but sometime distort i think not problem amp its problem speaker unable handle i see logitech satellite speaker abit tear small woofer i can't show photo because i already pack speaker with box because during my house renovations
after complete renovations then i will show photo look abit tears already

that why i need upgrade speaker must handle power amp
post #9 of 70 Unread 02-07-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you says No I meant is the speaker I suggested too big for the space where that tiny logitech speaker is?
i says i don't need too big for speaker i prefer small speaker

you says On your desk, sitting close, you would never turn the volume up high enough to cause the speaker any problem.

i says yes my desk sitting close i don't turn the volume up high

you says But yes, if you wanted to destroy a speaker with ANY amplifier the easiest way to do that is to turn the volume to maximum where the amp clips and destroys the speaker or the amp overdrives the speaker to the point that the voice coils overheat and fail.

i says i don't want destroy a speaker i wont do turn the volume to maximum amp

you says My speakers are rated to 75 watts and my amp to 90 and there are no problems and the one time I played the speakers very very loud, far louder than I like, the speaker made it clear that I should stop by starting to distort but they were not damaged.

i says my logitech speaker i turn volume set -20dB get abit distort but sound loud enough i think logitech speaker can't handle over power amp so i turn volume set -25dB sound clear but not enough sound so i turn volume set -23 sound clear but sometime distort i think not problem amp its problem speaker unable handle i see logitech satellite speaker abit tear small woofer i can't show photo because i already pack speaker with box because during my house renovations
after complete renovations then i will show photo look abit tears already

that why i need upgrade speaker must handle power amp
Yes, the Logitechs or any other speaker that size is TOO SMALL to do what you want but you still want a speaker that size so you will continue to have the problem of bad sound.

Where are you located it does not sound like you might be in the US.

And what is the largest speaker size you want height? width? depth?

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 70 Unread 02-07-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^+1
Any speaker that size will have the same limitations. You will need speakers with at least 5" drivers if you want a noticeable improvement. Most bookshelf speakers can be wall monted if space is limited. A sub, even a small one would definitely enhance your listening enjoyment with just about any bookshelf speaker.
head_unit likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the Logitechs or any other speaker that size is TOO SMALL to do what you want but you still want a speaker that size so you will continue to have the problem of bad sound.

Where are you located it does not sound like you might be in the US.

And what is the largest speaker size you want height? width? depth?
yes i still want small speaker without problem like handle driving

i still don't need largest speaker size if i take largest speaker bookshelf will get deep bass

i have subwoofer

that why front speaker don't want deep bass just prefer Mid ranger + tweeter like that
4inch also ok if i take 5inch or 6inch will get deep bass seen bad because we have subwoofer
post #12 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i still don't need largest speaker size if i take largest speaker bookshelf will get deep bass

i have subwoofer

that why front speaker don't want deep bass just prefer Mid ranger + tweeter like that
4inch also ok if i take 5inch or 6inch will get deep bass seen bad because we have subwoofer
Bigger speakers will give you better imaging, bigger soundstage. Yes they can produce more bass but you'll be using an 80-90hz crossover and will be less taxing on your sub. You'll crosser at 120-140hz with smaller speakers. You'll get a smoother transition and minimize localization. The larger speaker will have as much bass as you need it to.
synccoil likes this.

post #13 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
i still using Logitech z-5500 satellite speaker connected Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier
i looking good bookshelf speakers Small for replace logitech z-5500 satellite speaker
why i need because powerful Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier my logitech z-5500 satellite speaker abit tear woofer and abit distortion because to much powerful Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier

i looking good bookshelf speakers small only we don't need bass for bookshelf speakers i prefer tweeter + mid ranger only because we have subwoofer 15inch kicker deep bass

bookshelf speakers for mid ranger woofer must be 5inch below or 4.5 inch or 4inch or 3inch enough
8 ohm

See links below ,they are grand theft at the spend , I'm running them on a brutish current brawny and spendy Sony ES 110w pc 7.1 all channels driven or 160 wpc at 2 ch .

The trick with these and music is Dolby PLII sound field, it uses all 5 speakers very well that way and will rock the room and a few more rooms in the house like that .

These things take every bit of my w110 rms wpc 0dB on the loud pedal and sound reasonably clean and impactful at elevated levels at SRSLY multiples of the spend and wholly do not reveal thier size or price and are even better on 5.1 movies with the 110 Hz X over in your AVR LFE plausible 8" sub , especially if you put it near a corner noting the 5- 2 way speakers must be at small in your AVR speaker setting like almost any 5.1 system

That logitech is what it is but nothing at all like these on a decent AVR . I had a logitech Z509 5.1 in here before this set up and it was real OK for what I paid ($56.00) at Newegg but nothing at all or as clean or impactful like these on my spendy Sony ES HT 7.1 AVR which murder HTIB speakers , the spendy 5.1 cubes with bass modules and all the plausible 2.1 and 5.1 sound bars too.

https://www.cnet.com/products/monoprice-10565/review/

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...FRmewAodGKcJVg

Say Hi to Elvis for me if you spot him before I do in the after life
TV's Samsung PN64f8500 PDP, 2 -5.1 speaks ,2 Sony ES AVR all total |MY hideout : Sony 4K HDR XBR X850C,2016.HP 4K core i5 PC, plausible 5.1, Sources D*TV HR54 and room clients ,OTA ,Roku,TV Android 6.0.1 ,all the usuall other stuff up to 4K HDR IPTV and hires media hdd eye candy ,Custom core i7 Game /drive sim PC & G27 wheel ,reference quality 2.1 music > PC Game /Music room. 3 LG,Sony LED TV

Last edited by synccoil; 02-08-2017 at 01:40 PM.
post #14 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 66
In the next week or so I'm selling (4) Definitive Technology 600 series satellite speakers. I'll sell all four or as a pair. I've only had them 5-6 months and they've only been used as surround speakers and are like "new". They are in excellent condition! Def Techs are great speakers! I'll sell them for $125 a pair! Anyone that is interested can message me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1952825  
post #15 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i have subwoofer

Here are two 4" woofer speakers available worldwide as I'm still not sure what Country you are located in.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
gopala33

The 5.1 Monoprice 10565 above can do all that way above the size and price at 30-20,000 Hz and lots of bass ,lots more more bass than any 5.25 pair or 6.5 desktop pair or MTM can bring to the party and probably more than bass an 8" pair without a sub ,the Monoprice 10565 8" 200 watt sub is astonishing and worth the price of these all by itself and the sub may be better than what you have or run two subs for distributed bass improvement noting two subs aren't usually significantly louder than one but it evens out the room nulls and voids and LFE /directional bass standing wave's typical on these kind of subs you shouldn't want .

These are guaranteed to be very good especially with a clean ribbon tweeter, the same type as the spendy $750.00 ea. professional Adam nearfield monitors these may be better than and virtually or nearly cloned from , minus the amps and spendy price tag which is what Monoprice does well .

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16221

or these active self pweerd speakers
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15952,

TV's Samsung PN64f8500 PDP, 2 -5.1 speaks ,2 Sony ES AVR all total |MY hideout : Sony 4K HDR XBR X850C,2016.HP 4K core i5 PC, plausible 5.1, Sources D*TV HR54 and room clients ,OTA ,Roku,TV Android 6.0.1 ,all the usuall other stuff up to 4K HDR IPTV and hires media hdd eye candy ,Custom core i7 Game /drive sim PC & G27 wheel ,reference quality 2.1 music > PC Game /Music room. 3 LG,Sony LED TV

Last edited by synccoil; 02-08-2017 at 04:26 PM.
post #17 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Look at these from NHT. I have the SuperZeros in my office and Absolute Zeros in my bedroom. The Absolute Zeros have been replaced by the C1 speakers. Amazon has the SuperZero for $99 each and NHT has the SuperOne B-stock for $127 each and the C1 B-stock for $212 each.
http://www.nhthifi.com/products?cate...shelf-speakers

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo BDP-103, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optima 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #18 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
Look at these from NHT. I have the SuperZeros in my office and Absolute Zeros in my bedroom. The Absolute Zeros have been replaced by the C1 speakers. Amazon has the SuperZero for $99 each and NHT has the SuperOne B-stock for $127 each and the C1 B-stock for $212 each.
http://www.nhthifi.com/products?cate...shelf-speakers
Those are all decent and plausible IMO

post #19 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Bigger speakers will give you better imaging, bigger soundstage. Yes they can produce more bass but you'll be using an 80-90hz crossover and will be less taxing on your sub. You'll crosser at 120-140hz with smaller speakers. You'll get a smoother transition and minimize localization. The larger speaker will have as much bass as you need it to.
i don't need more bass and sorry no crossover that i don't need front speaker more bass that i don't want i still prefer mid ranger + tweeter only not deep bass i don't need more bass front speaker
hope understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by synccoil View Post

8 ohm

See links below ,they are grand theft at the spend , I'm running them on a brutish current brawny and spendy Sony ES 110w pc 7.1 all channels driven or 160 wpc at 2 ch .

The trick with these and music is Dolby PLII sound field, it uses all 5 speakers very well that way and will rock the room and a few more rooms in the house like that .

These things take every bit of my w110 rms wpc 0dB on the loud pedal and sound reasonably clean and impactful at elevated levels at SRSLY multiples of the spend and wholly do not reveal thier size or price and are even better on 5.1 movies with the 110 Hz X over in your AVR LFE plausible 8" sub , especially if you put it near a corner noting the 5- 2 way speakers must be at small in your AVR speaker setting like almost any 5.1 system

That logitech is what it is but nothing at all like these on a decent AVR . I had a logitech Z509 5.1 in here before this set up and it was real OK for what I paid ($56.00) at Newegg but nothing at all or as clean or impactful like these on my spendy Sony ES HT 7.1 AVR which murder HTIB speakers , the spendy 5.1 cubes with bass modules and all the plausible 2.1 and 5.1 sound bars too.

https://www.cnet.com/products/monoprice-10565/review/

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...FRmewAodGKcJVg
i not asking 5.1 speaker i don't need it we use 2.1 only
post #20 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i don't need more bass and sorry no crossover that i don't need front speaker more bass that i don't want i still prefer mid ranger + tweeter only not deep bass i don't need more bass front speaker
hope understand

i not asking 5.1 speaker i don't need it we use 2.1 only
4" mid bass ,ppfffttt...they call it a woofer
Gets good press

Pioneer P-BS22-LR cheaper at Best Buy but IMO the Monppeice 5.1 is the better buy but you do not want 5.1 so that's fine
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/SP-BS22-LR

4" mid bass , ppfffttt...they call it a woofer
Maybe plausibly more spendfy than above

Audioengine P4 2-Way Passive Bookshelf Speakers (Black, Pair)

Maybe best in class or nearly so

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Pass...shelf-Speakers

post #21 of 70 Unread 02-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I'm a loudspeaker design engineer, so please believe me that it just doesn't work like that. To put out low frequencies is very hard for small cones, which have smaller voice coils inside and so harder to handle more power.

Quote:
i have subwoofer
That does not matter, the Logitechs are just so small that even if the subwoofer is cutting out very low bass, the rest of the bass is too much. AND, I wonder if the low bass is really being cut out of the Logitechs???? Many times, the setup is wrong, and the subwoofer adds low bass but the main speakers still strains trying to put out low bass. There must be a highpass crossover to the main speakers.

Also, what subwoofer do you have? If it is from Logitech or other computer brand, it is not a "real" subwoofer at all. A "real" subwoofer would be like 10" or more like 12" with 300+ watts of RMS (not "peak" or "maximum" or "dynamic" power). In a close situation, a nice 8" might be OK.

I agree you should try to get to 5" driver. Even close, 4" and smaller is just not enough. That is why studio near-field monitors have at least 5" woofers, even with subwoofers. Depending on your budget, the 5" small Dynaudios sound very clear.

If absolutely nothing will fit, get the 4" ELAC. They need good power, but their bass was very surprisingly good when we listened to them.
synccoil likes this.
post #22 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here are two 4" woofer speakers available worldwide as I'm still not sure what Country you are located in.

i know that brand Q Acoustics i can get available

full spec Q Acoustics speaker

are you sure my amp will over 120w or 130w at 6 ohm can handle driving for Q Acoustics

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
I'm a loudspeaker design engineer, so please believe me that it just doesn't work like that. To put out low frequencies is very hard for small cones, which have smaller voice coils inside and so harder to handle more power.

That does not matter, the Logitechs are just so small that even if the subwoofer is cutting out very low bass, the rest of the bass is too much. AND, I wonder if the low bass is really being cut out of the Logitechs???? Many times, the setup is wrong, and the subwoofer adds low bass but the main speakers still strains trying to put out low bass. There must be a highpass crossover to the main speakers.

Also, what subwoofer do you have? If it is from Logitech or other computer brand, it is not a "real" subwoofer at all. A "real" subwoofer would be like 10" or more like 12" with 300+ watts of RMS (not "peak" or "maximum" or "dynamic" power). In a close situation, a nice 8" might be OK.

I agree you should try to get to 5" driver. Even close, 4" and smaller is just not enough. That is why studio near-field monitors have at least 5" woofers, even with subwoofers. Depending on your budget, the 5" small Dynaudios sound very clear.

If absolutely nothing will fit, get the 4" ELAC. They need good power, but their bass was very surprisingly good when we listened to them.
my subwoofer is Kicker 15inch car sub a lot deep bass and logitech speaker connected onkyo amp

logitech amp death and logitech subwoofer death
post #23 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

are you sure my amp will over 120w or 130w at 6 ohm can handle driving for Q Acoustics

The ones I had in my house I used 50 watts and it was LOUD.

So you'll be just fine.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

my subwoofer is Kicker 15inch car sub a lot deep bass and logitech speaker connected onkyo amp

Quote:
my subwoofer is Kicker 15inch car sub
That's a problem you should put back in you car where it belongs or lose it altogether

post #25 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think you're headed in right direction with the Q acoustics. Both the 2020 and 3020 would be a significant improvement over what you have. As far as the sub goes, I'm not sure how a car sub used indoors actually sound since I've never actually tried. Maybe a proper sub would be worth looking into. The right tool for the job will always provides better results.
synccoil likes this.

post #26 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you're headed in right direction with the Q acoustics. Both the 2020 and 3020 would be a significant improvement over what you have. As far as the sub goes, I'm not sure how a car sub used indoors actually sound since I've never actually tried. Maybe a proper sub would be worth looking into. The right tool for the job will always provides better results.
OP's amp is ~ @ 37- 38 and 70 Wpc rms per channel at the IEC ratings he posted and that may not be entirely legitimate on the manufactures lie sheet anyway so they should be in the range of 75w 100w rms speakers and so on .

post #27 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Onkyo A-9070 Amplifier

The amp is fine for driving the Q Acoustics or most any other speaker.

The car sub is probably not optimum for home use, but it depends-what is the exact model and what enclosure (box) it is in? And, what amp is powering this?

Your amp is not set up to use with a subwoofer. It DOES have pre-out/main-in jacks, but you need to connect a highpass crossover* in that loop. Otherwise your main speakers are trying to put out all the deep bass, which is silly and makes much more distortion. The highpass crossover would remove the bass, and a lowpass crossover would let the bass go to the subwoofer.

*That is really for making a different thread. There is something called "Harrison Lab F-Mods" which are crude but much better than nothing, and not expensive.
synccoil likes this.
post #28 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's a problem you should put back in you car where it belongs or lose it altogether
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
The amp is fine for driving the Q Acoustics or most any other speaker.

The car sub is probably not optimum for home use, but it depends-what is the exact model and what enclosure (box) it is in? And, what amp is powering this?

Your amp is not set up to use with a subwoofer. It DOES have pre-out/main-in jacks, but you need to connect a highpass crossover* in that loop. Otherwise your main speakers are trying to put out all the deep bass, which is silly and makes much more distortion. The highpass crossover would remove the bass, and a lowpass crossover would let the bass go to the subwoofer.

*That is really for making a different thread. There is something called "Harrison Lab F-Mods" which are crude but much better than nothing, and not expensive.
my amp onkyo don't have crossover and subwoofer connected LINE OUT for onkyo amp
you watch video

post #29 of 70 Unread 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
gopala
my amp onkyo don't have crossover and subwoofer connected LINE OUT for onkyo amp

Kickers are well regarded automotive phatt dual voice coil subs ,I've fried a few of them but when they work ,they bump very well.

I don't think the free air response ,dampening and so on is at recommended or even plausible Home theater parameters .

You may actually find a modest 8 or 10" HT sub a much better more versatile performer on video content and music in the home and your circumstance noting in the intended phatt car sub enclosure they are for EDM,gansta and hip hop LFE > high SPL & cabin gain in a very confined area and were never intended to be used in a home at all or on video LFE content .

The best thing for music is recording/production studio reference subs we have two here and plenty of HT subs and they are *usually somewhat different animals

The first time I heard a 2.1 made for and on music was at a shop in Berkley that custom made them for a K horn spend up to a kings ransom when nobody was marketing them in the early 1980's and they were mind blowing and wholly did not reveal thier size .

That was back when K horns ,model 19's ,JBL butt cheeks ,JBL 43XX and L200 and the like were the bass monsters and nobody ever heard of a home sub and al those can't get down in a room like decent sub .

Coincidentally It wasn't long after that I entered corporate management they were grooming me for out from those kind of hazards into the vicious shark tank and extended worldly travel at times I comfortably retired from recently .

i

Last edited by synccoil; 02-10-2017 at 06:29 PM.
post #30 of 70 Unread 02-10-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Kickers are well regarded automotive phatt dual voice coil subs ,I've fried a few of them but when they work ,they bump very well.

I don't think the free air response ,dampening and so on is at recommended or even plausible Home theater parameters .

You may actually find a modest 8 or 10" HT sub a much better more versatile performer on video content and music in the home and your circumstance noting in the intended phatt car sub enclosure they are for EDM,gansta and hip hop LFE > high SPL & cabin gain in a very confined area and were never intended to be used in a home at all or on video LFE content .

R U running an 115 VAC LFE plate amp or 12V DC car amp for the sub noting a large car amp can demand a lot more current potential than your whole house AC mains circuits can get without tripping the main breakers in addition to being a considerable fire hazard inside with whatever it's powered with outside of a UL listed regulated mains power 12VDC power supply .

FWIW automotive batteries produce volatile explosive gasses like hydrogen and trust me you DO NOT want an automotive battery explosion anywhere in your proximity or inside your home and its not fun to breathe if you you live to tell about it.

Exploding lead calcium and other automotive batteries make for very unfavorable chemical pneumonia and it can blind you with acid burns and so on ,I've seen one up close and personal unprotected some decades ago like everyone was back then working around them in the field .

I was off work for 3 months and it was no vacation but no vision damage ,facial scarring or anthing like that thanks to alert co workers flushing my eyes and upper body with a garden hose and rushing me to a trauma center blocks nearby and instant treatment there and prolonged eye flushing ,respiratory treatment and so on and a 3 month fully paid with the IAM union differential make up pay recovery from chemical pneumonia ,,

Coincidentally It wasn't long after that I entered corporate management they were grooming me for out from those kind of hazards into the vicious shark tank and extended worldly travel at times I comfortably retired from recently .

I have a 250amp alternator for 4800 watts of amplifiers in my late model truck and thats enough for maybe 5 modest homes at 115 vac potentials and does not include an 850 CCA burst amp starter /running battery for the truck it has to charge .

if you have full range shelves a home Sub will usually have some loudspeaker cable inputs and a full range pass through back to your speakers and its own low pass filter for the powered sub and additionally............................,

instead a line level LFE output you can use the HT sub Low pass filter on RCA cable line level full range signals like a pre out or something or maybe tape out.

you can get inexpensive readymade
Low-pass Filter Subwoofer Process Circuit w/ Frequency & Volume or a household current LFE plate amp with all that but you won't need any of that with home HT powered sub

active LFE low pass

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+...37665975235297

passive low pass
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-e...m_campaign=pla

i don't use CAR AMP

why you don't watch my video

that i using amp http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-803

sorry i wont take 8 or 10" HT sub because wont much loud

that why i using 15inch because i need too loud bass for music we use 2.1 only wont LFE content

Music for 2 channel only

onkyo amp http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/h...070/index.html

subwoofer plate amp RCA Connected LINE OUT FOR ONKYO AMP

LFE no there setting just sub amp gain only crossover bypass

onkyp amp also cannot set crossover that i don't need it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers