Help connecting something that should have been simple - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old Today, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help connecting something that should have been simple

I could really use a hand with this. I'm not sure why I am having such a rough time of it. The short question is this: I have a receiver-like device with stereo outputs (typical white/red left and right RCA outputs). I have two full range PA-like speakers (blueooth style party speakers) that I want to use as a dedicated left and a right speaker. Those speakers only have RCA stereo input (same white/red RCA inputs). So is it just left output to left input and right output to right input?

When connected that way, it seams like the speakers are still expecting stereo input, so connecting only one of the channels isn't working right. I've read that I might have to switch the connectors so the left output goes to the right input of the left speaker, and vice-versa to reverse the phase. I've also read that I should connect the left output to the right input of the left speaker and the right output to the right input of the right speaker so that the speakers can handle the mono input. I've also read that it should be okay to get a mono to stereo cable and just split the left output to both the left and right input of each side speaker.

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Today, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a bit more depth to my unusual problem. I have a less than ideal situation. I have a large room that we use as a party room of sorts. Couches and wide open hardwood floor over nearly 1,000 sq. ft. We got three of these as a cheap and fast way to fill the room with loud music.

We realized recently that the far side of the room had a huge open wall with nothing on it. So I got a projector as an easy way for watching a movie on a big 150 inch screen. The projector is in the back of the room and I'm not even going to attempt filling the 1,000 sq ft. room with surround speakers and amps and subs and receivers and everything. This projector is really for just a quick and cheap add-on to an existing room and not a true home theater set-up. My thoughts were to get a bluetooth transmitter for the projector and call it done.

Nope... wow that was a terrible experience. Sync issues, pairing issues... just doesn't work right for matching audio with video and getting left and right channels correct for a movie (never really had to worry about that while just playing music loud in a party environment). So I decided I'll reluctantly run a 50 foot 3.5mm audio jack from the back of the projector to the front of the room along the far wall out of the way of the entrance. My thought was to get a 3.5mm to rca cable adapter

and connect it into the only non-bluetooth input connector on the speaker:

and use it as a center directly under the screen. It outputs in stereo and with the bass turned way down, handles the voices well enough.

Now the hard part. The other two speakers would go to the right and left. And that's the real issue. Using the left and right output of that "center" speaker to feed the other two speakers and make them a dedicated left and right speaker without impedance or phase problems.

Last edited by hawkmoon77; Today at 08:14 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old Today, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkmoon77 View Post
I've also read that it should be okay to get a mono to stereo cable and just split the left output to both the left and right input of each side speaker.

I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks.
This is where my mind was going, as I was reading your post.

Edit: you posted pics as I was replying.

Samsung 55" JS8500
Onkyo TX-NR646
7.1 Setup:
Def Tech ProMonitor/ProCenter 1000, Yamaha NS-IC600 surround, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surround, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, PS3, Roku 2 (4210), Harmony 650

post #4 of 7 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkmoon77 View Post
Now the hard part. The other two speakers would go to the right and left. And that's the real issue. Using the left and right output of that "center" speaker to feed the other two speakers and make them a dedicated left and right speaker without impedance or phase problems.
Do you have a picture of the back of this receiver-like device? If there's not a dedicated center channel on that, then you won't be able to split what's played on those speakers.

But seeing those connections would help...

Samsung 55" JS8500
Onkyo TX-NR646
7.1 Setup:
Def Tech ProMonitor/ProCenter 1000, Yamaha NS-IC600 surround, TDG Audio NFC-61 back surround, SVS SB-2000
Samsung K8500, PS3, Roku 2 (4210), Harmony 650
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

So I originally thought I could just do something like this. Am I going to need some kind of an actual mixer or can I handle this with adapters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.png
Views:	6
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1956385  
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 514
So you have three GTK-XB7 powered speakers, one of which you've run a stereo cable to from the projector and which you plan on using for the center, and you want to use the other two as L and R channels?

I'm not positive how those speakers are going to process the signal, but you should be able to run two RCA Y cables (one male to two male) from the R and L outputs to the R&L inputs on your other two speakers.

You won't be getting a true three way RCL signal, just a summed R&L in the center and R and L individually on the other two, at least if they work the way I'm assuming they do, but for a quick and dirty hookup that should work.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
So you have three GTK-XB7 powered speakers, one of which you've run a stereo cable to from the projector and which you plan on using for the center, and you want to use the other two as L and R channels?

I'm not positive how those speakers are going to process the signal, but you should be able to run two RCA Y cables (one male to two male) from the R and L outputs to the R&L inputs on your other two speakers.

You won't be getting a true three way RCL signal, just a summed R&L in the center and R and L individually on the other two, at least if they work the way I'm assuming they do, but for a quick and dirty hookup that should work.
I will give that a go and it was my original thought/hope. I read somewhere that if you run a mono source into a stereo input you should do it to the right channel so the speaker will process the mono correctly internally. But then I read that you need to reverse them because it will be out of phase if you only provide a mono source. Any thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page