AVS Forum banner

Ceiling speakers layout

715 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  zorax2 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking into what kind of speaker layout to go for with my new room. Atmos 7.1.2 seems the obvious choice, since with Atmos 7.1.4 the rear ceiling speakers are sitting smack bang against the wall at the minimum 125 (35) degree angle. This setup also makes it very crowded with surround speakers in the back of the room, but hardly anything to cover the space between the front and the first set of ceiling/surround speakers.

DTS-X is a bit more flexible in speaker placement so I was thinking about using the Atmos 7.1.2 layout and add 2 additional ceiling speaker and put them in between the front position and the Atmos position. (DTS-X 11.1)

Is this something worth to be considering?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
all I want to say is I think you should reconsider the in-ceiling situation.

My neighbors have a fairly nice house (about 12,000 square foot, 12/14 foot ceilings...)

Went in once to hear their surround system and as it happened, the news was on.

The (TV) sound was coming from above. It was as though God himself was saying "chance of rain tomorrow will be 100%"

It was very distracting and for lack of better word.....strange sounding.

I'd rather see you do some in-WALL speakers so you can bring them down and place them closer to the TV.

All that said, i would make floor standers my first choice.

(I presume this isn't want you wanted to hear but the sound at my neighbors house was so unconventional, (awkward) I feel compelled to "warn" someone every time I read this type thread.

#3 ·
My setup is fairly similar to yours with my room being roughly 16' wide and only 12' deep. I'm using front heights (mounted above my mains and offset outside of them a little in each direction) with rear top (ceiling speakers) used nearly directly above me with rear surrounds at ear level a couple of feet back. On the AVR, the FH and RT speakers are configured as FH & RH to work for both ATMOS and DTS:X.

Even though the rears are nearly directly overhead (about 1' back), I think they still do a remarkable job with the overhead audio (based on ATMOS test disk and overall listening). The rear surrounds are a bit close and don't add as much as I had hoped yet they don't seem to smear the sound in my opinion. I think it would be very worthwhile for you to go to 7.2.4 based on my experience especially since you can use in ceiling speakers. If your only option was to use wall mounted RH speakers - I don't think I would do that.

#5 ·
My setup is fairly similar to yours with my room being roughly 16' wide and only 12' deep. I'm using front heights (mounted above my mains and offset outside of them a little in each direction) with rear top (ceiling speakers) used nearly directly above me with rear surrounds at ear level a couple of feet back. On the AVR, the FH and RT speakers are configured as FH & RH to work for both ATMOS and DTS:X.
What is your reason for using height speakers and not ceiling speakers at the front?

#6 ·
I mounted the height speakers a couple years before ATMOS came out for AVRs. I think I was using Audyssey DSX or something similar that matrixed some of the sound to front heights / wides.

I don't have the ability / access to add ceiling speakers at the front of my theater. Nevertheless, I'm guessing that I'm still getting 95% or better of the ATMOS overhead sound effect (again based on ATMOS disk and content and compared to ATMOS in the theater). Ideally, I would have installed ceiling speakers, but I really don't feel that I'm missing out on anything.

#8 ·
I'll bet many to most people's systems don't perfectly fit Dolby guidelines. Nevertheless, try to do the best you can and in most cases the results will still be very good.

I wouldn't feel "bad" if stuck with ATMOS. Both DTS:X and ATMOS sound very good and have great upmixers to enhance traditional sound formats. I really love their immersiveness and am glad I went through the effort and expense to setup a 7.2.4 system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.