AVS Forum banner

Budget Speaker selection help

767 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  RookieMistake 
#1 ·
Ill try to make this brief.

This will be a very compromised budget system but I'd like to get the best I can for my money. I'm working with a 12x14 foot room with a large archway leading into the rest of the house. The tv/stereo is on the 14' wall facing the opening with a couch on both 12' walls. I know it's a terrible setup but wife/kids/dog needs outweigh need for HT. This will be a do everything system. Kids shows on Netflix, Metallica at full blast, quiet movies so we don't wake the kids but can still hear dialog, jazz and blues to relax after a long day.

Because of the poor arrangement off axis response is a priority (right?). I'm OK with used equipment as it seems like the best value but I live in a small town so options are very limited. Although I will be going to NYC soon to visit family so maybe I could sneak off while I'm there. I'd like a 5.1 setup but I'd rather buy quality speakers slowly as funds allow then jump straight into a mediocre surround setup. Im currently using some old RCA speakers I bought probably 15 years ago. They do ok but I don't have much to compare to. I need to keep the budget to around $300 at a time.

First question, should I simply ditch my current speakers and get a better 2.0 setup. Then add a sub and center later and surrounds last.
Or add a center and sub now then upgrade the mains later?

Then the big question, in the $300/pair range what do people like as all around speakers? Ascend is high on my list at the moment. Q3020 seem highly regarded. What would be some good used options? I'm also open to DIY options.

I'd prefer tower speakers simply because of concern for kids/dog knocking them over but I know at my price point it probably doesn't make sense. Oh and so they will probably need to be om stands/mounted very near the wall.

Thanks for any advice

See less See more
#3 ·
Well the cheapest decent quality towers out there IMHO are these but the matching center is not good but thankfully there is a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-Designed-standing-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2S4

When the time comes to add a center get this one, it's a modified Pioneer center with a much improved crossover and tweeter.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html#cc

I've bought from these guys refurbished and they have looked and performed as new so if you want to get the towers here and save $80 towards the center you could have a front three for a hair over $300.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-each/1.html?gclid=CJrPyafRiNICFU6VfgodNV8FUQ

You can use your current speakers for rear surrounds.

#4 ·
For your budget, I think the RBH R5Bi bookshelf speakers would be an excellent choice. The are very well liked and perform above their price point. The nice finish and curves generally score good WAF points as well. 3 of these would run you $337.50 which is a little over but you'd have your front stage sorted out. You can turn one sideways as center speaker.
https://rbhsound.com/r5bi.php

#5 ·
Then the big question, in the $300/pair range what do people like as all around speakers? Ascend is high on my list at the moment. Q3020 seem highly regarded. What would be some good used options? I'm also open to DIY options.

I'd prefer tower speakers simply because of concern for kids/dog knocking them over but I know at my price point it probably doesn't make sense. Oh and so they will probably need to be om stands/mounted very near the wall.

Thanks for any advice
In regard to used options, probably easiest to list where you live and folks here can check CL for you... not sure if you mentioned it and I missed it.

What is your total budget? I know you said $300 at a time, but are you okay spending $300 on a sub, $300 on left/rights, $300 on center, just spread out over time? Will you need a new receiver too?

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply. That does seem like a good recommendation, except for the rather low WAF. As in my wife saw me looking at them and just said no. I'd rather stretch the budget and get something a little bigger step up from where I am. The HSU speakers have me quite interested. I like the idea of high sensitivity, once in a while I like to make my ears bleed.

#14 · (Edited)
HSU are good speakers, as my buddy has a 5.1 but their sensitivity is shown in half space... so it is inflated by about 6 dB. I'm on my phone but a few reviews show them closer to 85 dB in full open space. With that being said, if your main focus is HT, you will NOT be dissappointed with the HSU speakers!

Also HSU just released a new speaker, so I am interested on hearing how they sound, although they are 350 each which are probably out of your budget.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. The Q towers are an interesting option I hadn't thought of. I see they are 6 ohm nominal 4 ohm minimum. My AVR says 6-16 ohm. Will that be ok? Again, once in a while I'm going to crank 'em up.
The RBH are quickly moving towards the top of my list.
Does anyone have any experience with HSU speakers? I know their subs are highly thought of.
I'm going to be window shopping for a little bit longer. Seems like I'm looking in the right general direction.

Any additional thoughts would still be appreciated.

#16 ·
Does anyone have any experience with HSU speakers? Seems like I'm looking in the right general direction.
Any additional thoughts would still be appreciated.
I auditioned several speakers before I purchased my setup, and one of them was the Hsu HB-1 Mk2 (I was also auditioning their ULS-15 sub at the time). For what I was looking for a speaker, I can honestly say that nothing I heard from them raised any red flags. They seem to play the material faithfully and did not cause any undo attention to themselves at any frequency that I could detect. Since they were hooked up to the ULS-15 subwoofer, I cannot tell you how solid their bass response was, but with a subwoofer (and you will need a subwoofer with any bookshelf speaker), they appear to be a solid performer and a nice choice.

#15 ·
I would suggest looking at Hifishark.com, audiogon and ebay to find some speakers releavtively local. I see things pop up for sale at tremendous value because people want to upgrade.

Also, I would say the AJs def lean warm so for music they sound okay, but for HT the feel too warm or lacking detail. Although for the price Im not sure anything will beat them.

Philharmonics has a pair of speakers that are well regarded with a modified AJ center if you want to buy new.

All in, I would be patient and find something used.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I know you may be opposed to the idea, as some are, but I bought refurbished JBL studio speakers. It took some time searching and waiting but I got 2 JBL studio 190 towers and the studio 120 center for $350ish. They speakers came wrapped in plastic and from what I could tell look brand new. My best guess is someone either didn't like the speakers looks and returned them or it was initially a wiring issue. I've been using them for almost a year and they are great.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I'm fine with refurb/open box or straight up used stuff. Im going to keep searching the used market for a bit since I just blew most of my HT budget on a new TV today. I'll keep researching and digging around the used market for a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to try to find somewhere to listen to a few speakers. Try to find what I like, I'm guessing slightly warm sound but I feel like that's the next thing I need to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.