AVS Forum banner

Correct receiver crossover setting for my setup?

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Ellebob 
#1 · (Edited)
I just redid my entire theater system. I now have a pioneer elite sclx701 receiver, two deftec bp-8060's up front, a deftec mythos 10 center, and two deftec bp-8040's for the rear surrounds (there are other speakers, sides, Atmos etc, but these listed are the primaries). I will be adding a super cube 8000 soon, but for now I'm continuing to use my existing subs, both Klipsch, a 12" 12d reference powered sub and a synergy 12" powered sub, neither sub is rated to go below 24hz, hence will be getting the sc8000 which can hit I think 11hz.

Both Klipsch subs are connected lfe to the two sub/lfe's on the receiver. The bp-8060's and bp-8040's are connected via speaker cable to the binding posts, not lfe (since the Klipsch's are connected to those already). So, the 10's in the 8060's and 8's in the 8040's are being powered and crossed via the towers internal amp/crossover.

I've usually done an 80hz crossover as a rule of thumb previously, but with this new setup, specifically with all towers having powered subs in them (which I haven't had before), I'm not sure that's the best setting??? Wanted to see what others here think?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
While some main speakers can play lower frequencies it does not negate the fact that the best location for sub frequencies is rarely (if ever in small home sixed rooms) the best place for the midrange and higher frequencies. A sub/ speaker system allows for this placement flexibility. A crossover should be set based off the room acoustics and measurements, without that ability typically 80-100hz typically works well and you'll need some trial and error. Sometimes lower than 80hz but that is not as common. A crossover should not be set based on speaker capability unless the speaker is not capable, like small speakers where a higher crossover would be needed.

#3 ·
for music 2 channel I bypass any crossover, for movies all is set to small and 80 hz. I have tried different crossover points from 40hx to 120hz and utilized rew to see what helped/hurt. for movies I keep it at 80 and if I use a sub(s) for music its bypass f/r and still 80.

good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't consider the 8060's built in 10's as a subwoofer, just a powered woofer

svs suggested my crossover points at 60hz for my 8060's and 80hz for the rest
I play with 40hz-60hz and switch back and forth, but the properly placed sub just does the frequencies better then the towers

the 8060 towers only go down to about 38hz (although some charts say higher) effectively so the svs sub has a big job between 17hz - 38hz (without crossover)

so if I include the avr's crossover roll off in the math, setting them at 60hz leave the towers in a very comfortable position with zero strain on them at reference volume (which I do listen to)

the sub can go flat 17-260 Hz ± 3 dB so setting to 60hz is very easy and non directional
(remember having the sub and speakers play the same frequencies can cause cancellation issues and is not recommended)

and using the sub crawl it was well placed
this is a win/win

my midbass with the towers is solid and adjustable which is very nice to have

If you look at the purple trace (8060's) you will see the bass peaks at 60hz, so the sub takes over from there

source: http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review-test-bench#imilHjMgT95SRYrZ.97

#7 ·
#8 ·
You should consider getting 2 HSU VTF-3 MK5 subwoofers or 2 SVS PB-2000'S littlefoott recommended which will cost roughly the same as the supercube. You can start with one, then add a 2nd if needed. Your subwoofer does not need to match your mains in any way.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

Reactions: vtalon and sigpig
#9 ·
From SVS:

If you know your speaker’s frequency range, set the crossover point roughly 10 Hz above the lowest frequency your speakers can handle cleanly
The most common crossover frequency recommended (and the THX standard) is 80 Hz.
The numbers below highlight general guidelines for speaker/subwoofer crossover frequencies
On-wall or Tiny 'satellite' speakers: 150-200 Hz.
Small center, surround, bookshelf: 100-120 Hz.
Mid-size center, surround, bookshelf: 80-100 Hz.
Large center, surround and bookshelf: 60-80 Hz.
Very large center, surround, bookshelf: 40-60 Hz.
Tower speakers with 4”-6” woofers: 60 Hz.
Tower speakers with 8”-10” woofers: 40 Hz or Large/Full-Band (i.e., full-range).

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/tips-for-setting-the-proper-crossover-frequency-for-a-subwoofer

#10 ·
Skip the SC8000, it's OK for it's size but that's about it.

If you need something small get a RSL Speedwoofer 10S, or 2 or 3 or 4 (still less than the SC at MSRP).

Or get a SVS cylinder sub if floor space is tight.

Whatever you do, don't buy a SC8000. Advice I wish I had before I went there. :eek:

#11 ·
Unfortunately if you set crossovers low in a system that has main speakers that can handle low bass it will give you inconsistent bass in your room. Your room modes will be excited differently depending on the placement of the speakers and sub. You will get a different bass response depending which channel is playing the bass. It is one of the reasons we have crossovers so all bass is sent to the subwoofer which can be placed optimally for the room and speakers rarely are in the optimal spot for bass. That's why the crossover should be set based on the room acoustics and placements for a given room. Obviously, you don't want too high of a crossover or the sub will be localized. The advice given by setting the crossover based on how low the speakers can go is often going to give inconsistent bass in the room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.