AVS Forum banner

$5K Plus Home Theatre Speaker Recomendation

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  gajCA 
#1 ·
I have decided to upgrade the speakers in my home theatre. I built the theatre 2 years ago and I'm using my old equipment from my last house.

I currently running Energy Reference All around and it doesn't quite do the trick anymore.

My HT guys have recommended:

Towers: Paradigm Prestige 95F $2800 CDN/each
Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C $1800 CDN
Surround: Paradigm Prestige 25S $1100 CDN/EACH

I have in wall rears and new subs that will not be replaced.

Is there any other systems that I should look at in this price range? I'm strictly using this system for movies.

Thanks for your help. Thanks even more if you know where I can get a deal on these.

#2 ·
I'm assuming Canadian brands are going to be more reasonably-priced in Canada? You might want to check out PSB, they've been reviewed very well, though I preferred the Paradigm Prestige 95F to the PSB T3 having listened to both.

Reactions: frontside720
#3 ·
I have decided to upgrade the speakers in my home theatre. I built the theatre 2 years ago and I'm using my old equipment from my last house.

I currently running Energy Reference All around and it doesn't quite do the trick anymore.

My HT guys have recommended:

Towers: Paradigm Prestige 95F $2800 CDN/each
Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C $1800 CDN
Surround: Paradigm Prestige 25S $1100 CDN/EACH

I have in wall rears and new subs that will not be replaced.

Is there any other systems that I should look at in this price range? I'm strictly using this system for movies.
"Strictly movies" = I think you'd be perfectly happy with the Paradigm Monitor line, they will have a more dynamic and detailed sound than the Energy speakers which is better for HT use.

With that kind of budget, I would contact PSA and see how much they'd charge to ship to Canada and see if even with the cost of customs duties you'd break even or spend less...those would be excellent for HT-only use.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers

What brand/model are your new subs?

#5 ·
have you gone to visions and heard the kef r900, I like those combined with a hi res reciever
and visions can always move on price

they will offer an in house demo if you ask
(make sure it is well documented as demo of course)

#7 ·
Check out PSB, Totem, and GoldenEar. The Kef's mentioned at Visions and 2001 are very good too.
For strictly HT, I believe 2001 has the Klipsch RF-82 II speakers for $1600 each. They will probably have better dynamics than the Paradigm, and save you $2400/pair. The RC-62 II is $600, and the RB-51 II is $500 each. Total comes in at $1500CAD before taxes, and you will have a very kick-a$$ system...
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...peakers~sc458-Centre-Channel-Speakers#tophead

#8 ·
I do not know any Canadian prices or just if these setups are available near you, but I like both Quadral and Usher. I currently own The Usher Mini Dancer 2 mkII. If I had known about Quadral in advance, I maybe would have gone that way. The Quadral Vulkan is a true full range speaker so no real need for a sub, so no sub integration :D.

For movies I would go to Quadral. I heard the Movie Fury with their Titan which can go as low as 16 Hz!. When the tank rolls into the encampment, it was really like the rumbling was far in the distance, like a mile or two away. Unfortunately Quadral is probably pricier option. Maybe selling your subs will be enough for the difference?

Good luck in your upgrade request.

#10 ·
For strictly movies high efficiency speakers are hard to beat.

Power Sound Audio 110's, 210's or 210T's would be great as would JTR 228HT's. Not sure how being in Canada affects the price but I would say any of these would be better than anything from the paradigm line for movies.

#12 ·
Thank you all for your recommendations. Please keep them coming.
@sigpig I have seen those Klipsch but I'm not sure those are that much of an improvement over my Energy Connoisseurs. If I'm going to spend that much money on a new system I want to make sure I have the "wow" factor. It needs to blow my current system away.
@TabCam Quadral look fantastic but their availability in Canada is very poor. I can likely bring them in but prefer to deal with local dealers if any issue were to arise.

#13 ·
Ls50

Thank you all for your recommendations. Please keep them coming.

@TabCam Quadral look fantastic but their availability in Canada is very poor. I can likely bring them in but prefer to deal with local dealers if any issue were to arise.
Your Energy Reference series already goes quite low, as I suspect you own the towers. If you're sure you want subs, I can also recommend the Kef LS50 series. They sound terrific from say 80 Hz on and have fantastic imaging resolution. You can use them also as center speaker. They are even cheaper than your target, but with subs they offer tremendous value for money. I wanted them, but scored low of WAF :(. Don't know how well the WiFi version works.

#14 · (Edited)
If aesthetics are not a concern, then for 100% movies I'd definitely recommend looking at JTR's. Either 228's or above. Jeff at JTR can also offer custom veneers and paint if aesthetics do matter.

Other brands and models in that price I'd highly recommend are the Kef R700 and R600 center and the Revel Performa3 F206/208 with the C208. Another brand is Triad. Great speakers but very hard to find a demo these days.

#15 ·
If aesthetics are not a concern then for 100% movies I'd definitely recommend looking at JTR's. Either 228's or above. Jeff at JTar can also offer custom veneers and paint if aesthetics do matter.

Other brands and models in that price I'd highly recommend are the Kef R700 and R600 center and the Revel Performa3 F206/208 with the C208. Another brand is Troad. Great speakers but very hard to find a demo these days.
I really like the R line from Kef as well. Thanks @Snowmanick

#16 ·
To everyone posting speaker suggestions, please add on 30% at a minimum to the prices in US dollars, due to the currency exchange rates if the speakers are only available in the US. On top of that, many, if not most, companies will not ship to Canada (EMPTek, HSU, etc). You also have to factor in international shipping, customs and duties, and taxes to the cost. It is very hard to get speakers up here from the States, unless you can use a freight storage company and you live close to the border... lol

#17 ·
Since I'm in the same 'arena' with your budget and listening intentions, I will share that I recently compared the Paradigm 95F's to the GoldenEar Triton One's to the B&W CM10's. I felt that the soundstage of the GoldenEar's clearly beat out the Paradigm's ( but still loved the 95F's ) while the B&W's were a distant 3rd and surprisingly sounded 'reserved' during a 3 hour listening fiesta at a local authorized dealer. Best to try and listen to a variety locally/regionally if possible or better yet, get a demo at home to compare.

My room, specifically the front area, is more of an alcove so built in subs due to limited space makes the most sense. But, if possible and cost isn't completely detrimental, I'd highly suggest giving Tom at PSA (or chat on the http://www.powersoundaudio.com site a chance to see what he could do). Many AVS folks regard them well, especially for HT use.

While I'm still trying to find out if Sam Kury Electronique (Facebook site) is a listed Anthem/Paradigm auth dealer, his prices seem to be decent coming from Laval Quebec. I'm checking into an Anthem MRX 720 from him...

My $ .02 so far to share. Good luck with your findings and research!

#18 ·
It's interesting how different ears can have completely different results. I listened to all three of those extensively and walked away with this order:

B&W CM10 S2 - Best sound stage by far, surprisingly deep bass, nicely detailed treble without harshness, open midrange, just a hint of boxy sound compared to the B&W 804 D3. Still, best treble of the three, best sound stage, most natural sounding mid-range. These were my favorite of the bunch.

Paradigm 95F - Strong forward mid-range and mid-bass, nice solid bass, a little brighter than the B&W but still not harsh, could crank them up to 11 and they held their composure well, probably the strongest of the bunch in the mid-bass in terms of keeping distortion at bay at loud listening levels and providing that solid punch.

Goldenear Triton 1 - Crazy amounts of bass from the internal powered subs, tight, authoritative, and completely addictive with certain music. Let down by the weakest midrange performance and harsh treble.

So, yeah, certainly worth going to listen, all three of those lines have their devotees, and all are very nice speakers, but it's going to be your ears enjoying them, so find what sounds best to you.

#20 ·
Well that doesn't help. hahaha

I really think I need to hear these speakers in action. Unfortunately it's different shops that carry these models so it may not be so easy to compare.

I'm going to check out that Facebook guy from Quebec also. I have had good luck buying components in Quebec.

Thanks for the reviews.

#21 ·
Getting peoples opinions about what are the best speakers is like asking people what type of beer they like best! Everyone has a different opinion/favorite...in other words, only your opinion counts and you really have to hear the speakers at you house! best case is buy two sets and make sure you can return both of them...do a 2-3 week trial and return the one you like the least!

Reactions: dwgncat
#22 ·
check out focal. they are made in France but Canada I am sure would have dealers somewhere

I liked the 948's best until I went to 20k speakers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.