Definitive Technology 9000 Series V.S. 8000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By everettcox22

post #1 of 12 Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Definitive Technology 9000 Series V.S. 8000

Hey guys,

Has anyone be given the chance to demo these systems next to each other? I know they made some ascetic changes. I have also heard from rep's that the sound is a little more clear and refined.

Does it warrant the price difference if you can get new or refurbished 8000s at half the price?

What are the largest differences between the two series?

Thanks for the help! :
DJHOBLEY likes this.

Home Theater Configuration: 5.2.4
Pioneer SC-LX801
Def. Tech. 8060 Fronts & Center - 8040 Surrounds
Def. Tech. XTR-20BP (4) Atmos Ceiling Mounted
Sony 55" XBR850B
Oppo 203 l PS4 l Xbox One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettcox22 View Post
Hey guys,

Has anyone be given the chance to demo these systems next to each other? I know they made some ascetic changes. I have also heard from rep's that the sound is a little more clear and refined.

Does it warrant the price difference if you can get new or refurbished 8000s at half the price?

Thanks for the help! :
Either will still have the "DefTech" sound, and from what I understand the real difference is the changes made to the DSP circuitry for the internal crossover (this is what is creating the extra clarity and cleaner response that the rep alluded to).
Unfortunately, "you're" the only one who can decide if the difference is worth the extra cost, but keep in mind, you're not going from a bad speaker too a good one, your going from a good speaker to a slightly different sounding good speaker.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 198
intelligent Bass Control

but the 8060 price on amazon is 50 percent compared to a year ago

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Either will still have the "DefTech" sound, and from what I understand the real difference is the changes made to the DSP circuitry for the internal crossover (this is what is creating the extra clarity and cleaner response that the rep alluded to).
Unfortunately, "you're" the only one who can decide if the difference is worth the extra cost, but keep in mind, you're not going from a bad speaker too a good one, your going from a good speaker to a slightly different sounding good speaker.
That makes sense. Regarding the internal crossover, is this something a good receiver cannot address?

Pioneer SC-LX801
Sony 55" XBR850B
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
intelligent Bass Control

but the 8060 price on amazon is 50 percent compared to a year ago
Thanks for the reply. Same question though, the intelligent bass control, is this something a good receiver cannot address? I use an Energy CSW-C10 for a sub-woofer. I do not wire to my 8060 tower subs. Would this be something I would even be using if i kept the setup the same?

Pioneer SC-LX801
Sony 55" XBR850B
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help! :
Reviews of the 9000s read, to me, just like those for the 8000s.

Good choice for HT, not so much for music.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
That makes sense. Regarding the internal crossover, is this something a good receiver cannot address?
Yes and no,
The receiver won't effect the difference in the blending of the 3 drivers together, but the receiver will effect the roll off at the low end.
Honestly the biggest difference that I can gather from the concept of what they're calling "intelligent bass technology" would be how the speaker handles a full range signal, and it's natural roll off.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #8 of 12 Old 03-24-2017, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Yes and no,
The receiver won't effect the difference in the blending of the 3 drivers together, but the receiver will effect the roll off at the low end.
Honestly the biggest difference that I can gather from the concept of what they're calling "intelligent bass technology" would be how the speaker handles a full range signal, and it's natural roll off.
Do you suggest setting speaker size to small on receiver and having a separate sub set at 80hz or so for crossover?

Pioneer SC-LX801
Sony 55" XBR850B
post #9 of 12 Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Reviews of the 9000s read, to me, just like those for the 8000s.

Good choice for HT, not so much for music.

Huh? I went back and read the Hometheaterreview.com and Sound & Vision reviews of the 9060 and 9080's respectively, and I don't see anything suggesting they wouldn't be a good choice for music - both reviews loved the 9000's for both music and movies as far as I can see, and Brent Butterworth was comparing the 9060's directly to Revel F206's.

I own a BP 8060 system, and have listened a few times to the 9000 series at Best Buy Magnolias. The big difference to my ears was that the 9000 series speakers are brighter and more detailed. Also, the 9060's sounded better blended and balanced than the 9040's, and the 9080's were on a whole different level I think. In fact, the 9080's were some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Huh? I went back and read the Hometheaterreview.com and Sound & Vision reviews of the 9060 and 9080's respectively, and I don't see anything suggesting they wouldn't be a good choice for music - both reviews loved the 9000's for both music and movies as far as I can see, and Brent Butterworth was comparing the 9060's directly to Revel F206's.

I own a BP 8060 system, and have listened a few times to the 9000 series at Best Buy Magnolias. The big difference to my ears was that the 9000 series speakers are brighter and more detailed. Also, the 9060's sounded better blended and balanced than the 9040's, and the 9080's were on a whole different level I think. In fact, the 9080's were some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard.
Perhaps I was a little harsh, I guess it depends on what kind of soundstage you prefer.

"No, the BP9060s didn't image as solidly in the center as my Revel F206s did, but vocals and other center-oriented sounds were focused enough to seem realistic. On "Stepsister's Lament" from Cécile McLorin Salvant's For One to Love CD, the BP9060s couldn't achieve that gratifying pinpoint image focus that a good conventional speaker can, but it's not like Salvant's voice was unfocused or unrealistic, and the bipolar arrangement didn't seem to add any coloration to the speaker's inherently neutral sound. It didn't hurt that the bass on this track had so much weight, focus, and definition through the BP9060s."

http://hometheaterreview.com/definit...aker-reviewed/

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 12 Old 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Perhaps I was a little harsh, I guess it depends on what kind of soundstage you prefer.

"No, the BP9060s didn't image as solidly in the center as my Revel F206s did, but vocals and other center-oriented sounds were focused enough to seem realistic. On "Stepsister's Lament" from Cécile McLorin Salvant's For One to Love CD, the BP9060s couldn't achieve that gratifying pinpoint image focus that a good conventional speaker can, but it's not like Salvant's voice was unfocused or unrealistic, and the bipolar arrangement didn't seem to add any coloration to the speaker's inherently neutral sound. It didn't hurt that the bass on this track had so much weight, focus, and definition through the BP9060s."

http://hometheaterreview.com/definit...aker-reviewed/

Its not about being harsh, but about not being misleading. If you don't like bipolar speakers, and you have actually listened to the speakers the OP asked about, than certainly it is fair to express your opinion. But you said reviews indicated that the 9000 series was good for HT and not so much for music. No fair-minded person could read B. Butterworth's review of the 9060's and conclude he thought they didn't sound good for music. Your quote came right after he heaped significant praise on the 9060's for their musical reproduction. He gave the speakers 5 stars, and Hometheaterreview.com named the 9060's as their speaker of the year.

BTW, have you actually listened to the BP 9060's, or even better, the 9080's? You might be surprised. And while bipolar speakers don't have the pinpoint imaging of excellent direct radiating speakers, they have a bigger sweetspot, and arguably give a more accurate representation of how acoustic and orchestral instruments sound in real life, spitting out sound in all directions.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Its not about being harsh, but about not being misleading. If you don't like bipolar speakers, and you have actually listened to the speakers the OP asked about, than certainly it is fair to express your opinion. But you said reviews indicated that the 9000 series was good for HT and not so much for music. No fair-minded person could read B. Butterworth's review of the 9060's and conclude he thought they didn't sound good for music. Your quote came right after he heaped significant praise on the 9060's for their musical reproduction. He gave the speakers 5 stars, and Hometheaterreview.com named the 9060's as their speaker of the year.

BTW, have you actually listened to the BP 9060's, or even better, the 9080's? You might be surprised. And while bipolar speakers don't have the pinpoint imaging of excellent direct radiating speakers, they have a bigger sweetspot, and arguably give a more accurate representation of how acoustic and orchestral instruments sound in real life, spitting out sound in all directions.
No, I have not listened to them but recommended the 8000 series for those looking for a great HT choice when they were being heavily discounted as they were a steal.

I owned bipolar speakers for 20+ years and really liked them, (Pro LX5s), because in the room I used them the listening area was not specific much of the time as it is a living room/dining room area about 40 feet long and 15 feet wide so they worked really well in the living room, computer area and the dining room that are in that space.

The speakers that replaced them are clearly better in the sweet spot, (Martin Logan LX16s), but the Bipolars were better in the Dining room for background music due to their wide sound dispersion.

Glad you like your Def Tecs equally for music and HT.

BTW, I owned Bose 901s in the eighties and thought they were great despite their use of walls behind them to reflect 8/9's of the sound toward the listening area.

EDIT: perhaps you can help out the OP by answering his question on post number 8 as you seem to have a lot of knowledge about the 8000/9000 Def Tecs.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , definitive technology bp 8060st

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page