Klipsch 535 - B Jubilee. Hopefully the end of my speaker journey - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Klipsch 535 - B Jubilee. Hopefully the end of my speaker journey

Hi all,

I've created this thread to detail what is hopefully my last speaker purchase. Monday I am going to purchase a pair of Klipsch 535 B Jubilee thee way speakers. I really wanted a mono amp setup but that is not available for these speakers.

Therefore I am going to go with the biamp setup. These are going to be the largest speakers I've ever purchased. I've had over 30 speaker and sub setups at this point of my life. I've probably spent over $50,000 on electronics in the last 7 years.

With the purchase of a home I don't have that kind of money to use flipping speakers, experimenting, and upgrading speakers anymore. However I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

I've learned a lot on the way. T I will upgrade this thread with pics as soon as I get the speakers assembled. I will also update the thread with my thoughts on how these speakers compared to my previous speakers especially my most recent purchase which were JBL 4722N speakers.

I've noticed the world of pro Cinema speakers at home is a small niche market. Therefore there is not much information between owners of Klipsch Pro Cinema, JBL Pro Cinema, and QSC Pro Cinema speakers. I am going to do my part here in this by trying to help others with information who are contemplating the same journey I've been on.

Once you go into the world of pro cinema speakers there is no going back. However many of us need help deciding between the three major brands. Hopefully this thread will help others and I also pray that this is my last speaker purchase and a great culmination to a long and arduous audio journey.
denze likes this.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-08-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Have you actually heard them yet or, is this a leap of faith?

(roughly 40% of current owners bought them without having heard them first)
post #3 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
Have you actually heard them yet or, is this a leap of faith?

(roughly 40% of current owners bought them without having heard them first)
This is a.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (4).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2006633  
shivaji likes this.

post #4 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My speakers should look like these
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	download (2).jpg
Views:	375
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2006641  
post #5 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That takes some nerve... congrats! Personally, I think you will be drop jawed. Going active or passive?

By the way, I think this makes you only the 2nd or 3rd person to go 3-way. Most have opted for 2-way since that was PWK's goal in designing them. If you go active, you can try it yourself simply by moving the tweeter driver down to the midrange horn. If you prefer that over the 3-way, you won't have any troubles selling the top horn (K510) I don't know so much about the demand for the midrange drivers (though at one time, I wanted a pair and never found any)

Are you ordering them as a black cinema speaker? Are you aware you can get them with a Walnut, Cherry (and maybe other) front panels which will pretty them up quite a bit?

You'll need to have a couple of strong backs to move them around. A hand truck will also work wonders....but, they're big.

You'll get 2 large boxes....and 2 huge boxes! (actually, you'll probably get more since you got the 3-way...there are more parts involved)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2672.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	2006649   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2679.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	2006657   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2695.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	2006665  
denze likes this.
post #6 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You answered while I was typing. Those are pretty.
post #7 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Side note, I don't think they'll have that 'Klipsch' emblem on the front of the bass bin. I think he added that after he received them.
post #8 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Side note, I don't think they'll have that 'Klipsch' emblem on the front of the bass bin. I think he added that after he received them.
I know. I might have my bass bins built by a custom builder.
post #9 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That takes some nerve... congrats! Personally, I think you will be drop jawed. Going active or passive?

By the way, I think this makes you only the 2nd or 3rd person to go 3-way. Most have opted for 2-way since that was PWK's goal in designing them. If you go active, you can try it yourself simply by moving the tweeter driver down to the midrange horn. If you prefer that over the 3-way, you won't have any troubles selling the top horn (K510) I don't know so much about the demand for the midrange drivers (though at one time, I wanted a pair and never found any)

Are you ordering them as a black cinema speaker? Are you aware you can get them with a Walnut, Cherry (and maybe other) front panels which will pretty them up quite a bit?

You'll need to have a couple of strong backs to move them around. A hand truck will also work wonders....but, they're big.

You'll get 2 large boxes....and 2 huge boxes! (actually, you'll probably get more since you got the 3-way...there are more parts involved)
Not sure on the veneer yet. I'm thinking about cherry or zebra wood.
post #10 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Monday I am going to purchase a pair of Klipsch 535 B Jubilee thee way speakers.
Quote:
I might have my bass bins built by a custom builder.
Confused....

Are you (considering) buying a pair of Jubilee's or are you considering having a clone pair built?
post #11 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Confused....

Are you (considering) buying a pair of Jubilee's or are you considering having a clone pair built?
I dont trust anyone to build the HF/MF with 3 way crossover. That I am purchasing from Klipsch. However there is someone who can make the horn loaded bass bins to factory spec. Bob Crites owns both Klipsch made horn loaded bass bins and custom made horn loaded bassbins from this custom builder.

Bob stated they measured the same and sounded exactly alike.
post #12 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Problem I am having is that many people are emailing me online from audioheritage and Klipsch forum. JBL guys swear their components are the best. And the Klipsch owners feel their components are great.

Then add to the confusion all the diy guys who are swapping components between Klipsch, QSC, and JBL and swear their custom builds are superior. This gets really frustrating because no one has heard pro cinema speakers from all three brands.

They only have narrow experience with one brand. Add to that many guys are giving comments on certain speaker designs but they are not using stock components which makes it even more complicated to find relevant data.
post #13 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not a wood worker but looking at how it's built, I don't think it would be tough to duplicate...so it could/should sound very good. It is not however, a "Klipsch 535-B Jubilee". The "Jubilee" is the name of the bass bin. So you'd have a Jubilee clone with the K402/510 on top.

Are you (they) able to source the K31 driver or would they use a different driver?

Note that there is nothing wrong with the above scenario (regardless of drivers).... but, if you got it and loved it....or got it and hated it (the clone version that is) then you'd be inferring good/bad on something that isn't a Klipsch speaker, not built by them and might not be a fair to report good (or bad) findings.

If you get the clone version, I would simply think it important that you are clear that it isn't a Klipsch Jubilee and it has different drivers (if in fact that is the case).
post #14 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Problem I am having is that many people are emailing me online from audioheritage and Klipsch forum. JBL guys swear their components are the best. And the Klipsch owners feel their components are great.

Then add to the confusion all the diy guys who are swapping components between Klipsch, QSC, and JBL and swear their custom builds are superior. This gets really frustrating because no one has heard pro cinema speakers from all three brands.

They only have narrow experience with one brand. Add to that many guys are giving comments on certain speaker designs but they are not using stock components which makes it even more complicated to find relevant data.
I'm not aware of too many KLipsch owners feeling their components are great. I have however, heard it said that PWK was a master at taking pedestrian drivers and wringing the most out of them.

I would look at it like this... are you familar with the sound of a bass horn verses direct radiator?

The bass horn, though much larger, will be far more accurate in its output however, it might not go as deep. The direct radiator will have a lot more distortion

The real magic of the Jubilee (or some of its cousins) is that huge K402 horn on top. You will be able to take it to outrageous volumes and the sound will not have any perceptible distortion. It will force you out of the room before you find its limits....especially if you go the 3-way version.

I once asked Roy how large space these might be good for... his response (if memory serves me, as this was probably 8-9 years ago) was that a pair of them would do find in a 400 seat auditorium. Imagine that in your living room...

The dynamics are going to be out of this world, the scale of sound will be huge or, as I've said "on the scale of life"

The real secret sauce to this seems to be the K402 horn. It has been mated to the LaScala bass bin as a 2-way speaker, mated to the Jubilee (as a 2-way for residential use), mated to the MWM bass bins and then mated to a double and quad direct radiator bass bin. They all sound fantastic... mainly because the K402 sounds fantastic.

My opinion, you could probably buy (or have built) a pair of LaScala bass bins, set the K402 on top of them, mate that with a GOOD horn subwoofer and have a sound that will beat the Jubilee and likely do it at less cost.

(meaning, agasint the Jubilee with NO subwoofer)

It will improve with a sub as well, I'm currently using a single Danley DTS-10. I know someone who has two Danley DTS (I think 20's)

So what you will gain in accuracy and dynamics, you will lose a bit in bottom end extension.

It's not anemic.... but even my old Electrovoice Interface D's had a lower -3 db point (28Hz) than these and they were about half the size.....but in the world of dynamics, the Jubilee will crush the EV.
post #15 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
I'm not a wood worker but looking at how it's built, I don't think it would be tough to duplicate...so it could/should sound very good. It is not however, a "Klipsch 535-B Jubilee". The "Jubilee" is the name of the bass bin. So you'd have a Jubilee clone with the K402/510 on top.
Quote:
I once asked Roy how large space these might be good for... his response (if memory serves me, as this was probably 8-9 years ago) was that a pair of them would do find in a 400 seat auditorium. Imagine that in your living room...

KPT-Jubilee/535-B Specsheet

Last edited by Skylinestar; 03-04-2017 at 08:28 PM.
post #16 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not aware of too many KLipsch owners feeling their components are great. I have however, heard it said that PWK was a master at taking pedestrian drivers and wringing the most out of them.

I would look at it like this... are you familar with the sound of a bass horn verses direct radiator?

The bass horn, though much larger, will be far more accurate in its output however, it might not go as deep. The direct radiator will have a lot more distortion

The real magic of the Jubilee (or some of its cousins) is that huge K402 horn on top. You will be able to take it to outrageous volumes and the sound will not have any perceptible distortion. It will force you out of the room before you find its limits....especially if you go the 3-way version.

The dynamics are going to be out of this world, the scale of sound will be huge or, as I've said "on the scale of life"

The real secret sauce to this seems to be the K402 horn. It has been mated to the LaScala bass bin as a 2-way speaker, mated to the Jubilee (as a 2-way for residential use), mated to the MWM bass bins and then mated to a double and quad direct radiator bass bin. They all sound fantastic... mainly because the K402 sounds fantastic.

My opinion, you could probably buy (or have built) a pair of LaScala bass bins, set the K402 on top of them, mate that with a GOOD horn subwoofer and have a sound that will beat the Jubilee and likely do it at less cost.

(meaning, agasint the Jubilee with NO subwoofer)

It will improve with a sub as well, I'm currently using a single Danley DTS-10. I know someone who has two Danley DTS (I think 20's)

So what you will gain in accuracy and dynamics, you will lose a bit in bottom end extension.

It's not anemic.... but even my old Electrovoice Interface D's had a lower -3 db point (28Hz) than these and they were about half the size.....but in the world of dynamics, the Jubilee will crush the EV.
Well the general consensus is that JBL drivers are much better than Klipsch drivers. However I'm hoping the Klipsch Jubilee 3-way configuration is a situation where the whole will be greater than the sim of it's parts. I've had everything in the Klipsch Heritage collection. To be honest I had Klipsch horns for less than 2 weeks. I was not impressed from the moment I got them home.

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-08-2017 at 06:51 AM.
post #17 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you (they) able to source the K31 driver or would they use a different driver?

Note that there is nothing wrong with the above scenario (regardless of drivers).... but, if you got it and loved it....or got it and hated it (the clone version that is) then you'd be inferring good/bad on something that isn't a Klipsch speaker, not built by them and might not be a fair to report good (or bad) findings.

If you get the clone version, I would simply think it important that you are clear that it isn't a Klipsch Jubilee and it has different drivers (if in fact that is the case).
I understand where you're coming from on this. However all the drivers and horns will be original components from Klipsch. The cabinetmaker would onlybe making the cabinets themselves for the Jubilee bass bins. Everything else would be original Klipsch. However I will be sure to make that distinction if I go that route.
post #18 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well the general consensus is that JBL drivers are much better than Klipsch drivers. However I'm hoping the Klipsch Jubilee 3-way configuration is a situation where the whole will be greater than its parts. I've had everything in the Klipsch Heritage collection. To be honest I had Klipsch horns for less than 2 weeks. I was not impressed from the moment I got them home.
I'm willing to believe that. There are some that have upped their HF driver to the TAD-4002 (take that JBL driver!)

Are you aware of that? Have you also considered that?

(Roy has calculated all the necessary PEQ's for the TAD driver, when installed on the K402 in a 2-way situation)

If you stayed 3-way, I don't know what your options are, if any. I've also been told that the passive for the K402/510 combo is a little hot as it might be designed to go behind a screen. I don't know how factual that is...just something I've read. If you are using an active, I would (like to) think that you could adjust appropriately. If however, you are going passive, then again....I don't know what to think.

I will say this... the difference between Klipschorns and the Jubilee are not subtle. Look at it this way....when PWK designed the Khorn, he had zero years designing speakers. By the time he got to designing the Jubilee, he had 50 years of experience behind him.... I'm willing to bet he learned a thing or two along the way.

Having heard them side by side, it isn't even fair to compare.

When I first heard the Jubilee, it took about a 30 second audition before I had a huge smile on my face and I reached over to someone standing near me saying "now that, is what I've been looking for"

Came home, sold my Khorns literally, in an hour of listing them (they were gone that very weekend) and ordered the Jubilee's on the spot. I've not missed my Khorns for a second since.
post #19 of 100 Old 03-04-2017, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm willing to believe that. There are some that have upped their HF driver to the TAD-4002 (take that JBL driver!)

Are you aware of that? Have you also considered that?

(Roy has calculated all the necessary PEQ's for the TAD driver, when installed on the K402 in a 2-way situation)

If you stayed 3-way, I don't know what your options are, if any. I've also been told that the passive for the K402/510 combo is a little hot as it might be designed to go behind a screen. I don't know how factual that is...just something I've read. If you are using an active, I would (like to) think that you could adjust appropriately. If however, you are going passive, then again....I don't know what to think.

I will say this... the difference between Klipschorns and the Jubilee are not subtle. Look at it this way....when PWK designed the Khorn, he had zero years designing speakers. By the time he got to designing the Jubilee, he had 50 years of experience behind him.... I'm willing to bet he learned a thing or two along the way.

Having heard them side by side, it isn't even fair to compare.

When I first heard the Jubilee, it took about a 30 second audition before I had a huge smile on my face and I reached over to someone standing near me saying "now that, is what I've been looking for"

Came home, sold my Khorns literally, in an hour of listing them (they were gone that very weekend) and ordered the Jubilee's on the spot. I've not missed my Khorns for a second since.
Well the Klipsch horns sounded like an old man speaker and outdated from the moment I heard them at home. So any comparisons between them and today's pro cinema speakers just doesn't give me much of a reference to go by.

Most people I know that are putting together custom pro cinema speakers stated that they preferred the JBL 2451 and 2452 over the Tad 4002 in a 3 way configuration..

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-05-2017 at 01:49 PM.
post #20 of 100 Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
Quote:
My speakers should look like these
I've got closets smaller than that!

Looking forward to your pictures and impressions.

BTW, how big is the room these are going in?

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 03-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #21 of 100 Old 03-05-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I've got closets smaller than that!

Looking forward to your pictures and impressions.

BTW, how big is the room these are going in?
Overall room space is 20 feet wide by 18ft deep.
post #22 of 100 Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I placed my order for a pair today. This will be my first biamp passive crossover. I understand I will need two amps for each speaker now. However I am a bit confused on running the signal from amls to prepro. Normally one signal cable goes to the L speaker input and then a second signal cable to the R speaker input on the back of my prepro.

So where do the third and fourth signal cables go?

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-06-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #23 of 100 Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Hi Coytee. How are things? For those that don't know Coytee is one of the early and enthusiastic proponents of the Jubilee. Maybe I'm too late to the party but if it was me, I'd order a veneer faced complete Jubilee. These speakers are going to be the Holy Grail not too long in the future. I'd also stay with the original two way design, that was the whole idea behind that loudspeaker. Anyway that's just my opinion and no matter what I think you will be pleased from what I have gleaned. Congratulations. Coytee, see you on the other side....

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #24 of 100 Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Still listening to my 79 LaScalas that have been modded. Would love to here the Jubes one of these days. I hope you enjoy them...

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #25 of 100 Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I placed my order for a pair today. This will be my first biamp passive crossover. I understand I will need two amps for each speaker now. However I am a bit confused on running the signal from amls to prepro. Normally one signal cable goes to the L speaker input and then a second signal cable to the R speaker input on the back of my prepro.

So where do the third and fourth signal cables go?
What you will need is one amp (2-channels) per speaker. One leg will power the mid/hf and the other leg will power the LF.

So you will need a total of 4 channels of amplification.

Your stereo signal (left/right) will go to the inputs of the active. The active will internally split each of those into a high/low leg and those legs will go to individual channels of amplification.

Clear as mud?
post #26 of 100 Old 03-07-2017, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I think you may have cured your upgraditis!

FREQUENCY RESPONSE1 (+/- 3 dB) 45 Hz - 19 kHz
FREQUENCY RANGE (-10 dB) 34 Hz - 20 kHz

what are you using for a subwoofer?

RECOMMENDED MINIMUM AMPLIFIER POWER
TRANSDUCER AMPLIFIER POWER RATING
LF Input 1 800W into 4 ohms
HF/MF 450W into 4 ohms

what are you powering them with?
4x emotiva XPA-1
or 2 xpa-1's and a gen 3 for the hf/mf

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #27 of 100 Old 03-07-2017, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post

RECOMMENDED MINIMUM AMPLIFIER POWER
TRANSDUCER AMPLIFIER POWER RATING
LF Input 1 800W into 4 ohms
HF/MF 450W into 4 ohms
If you got this off their website, realize that is for a commercial application.

I can 100% assure you that you won't need that for home use. Remember, these are something like 104 db @ 1 watt (don't recall actual sensitivity but they're high strung (said in a good way))

I have a Crown K2 dedicated to each speaker and doubt I use 10% of its power. I know some guys who have little flea-amps powering them and they're quite satisfied.
post #28 of 100 Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What you will need is one amp (2-channels) per speaker. One leg will power the mid/hf and the other leg will power the LF.

So you will need a total of 4 channels of amplification.

Your stereo signal (left/right) will go to the inputs of the active. The active will internally split each of those into a high/low leg and those legs will go to individual channels of amplification.

Clear as mud?
Ok I get it now. The 3 way Jube I ordered is supposed to come with a passive biamp network. So each network should have 4 channels of amplification. But only two signal inputs.

I am confused by the active comment. I wont need active crossover since it comes with a biamp passive network will I?

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-07-2017 at 12:04 PM.
post #29 of 100 Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now I really wished I had purchased one of the Sherbourne multi-channel amps on sale. Now I'm thinking about purchasing two Inuke NU4-6000 amps for these speakers.
post #30 of 100 Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I get it now. The 3 way Jube I ordered is supposed to come with a passive biamp network. So each network should have 4 channels of amplification. But only two signal inputs.

I am confused by the active comment. I wont need active crossover since it comes with a biamp passive network will I?
The speaker has three sections. Woofer, Midrange and Tweeter. The midrange and tweeter are connected to each other via a (small) passive network. The woofer has nothing.

You need an active crossover to split the signal and send everything 450Hz and BELOW to the woofer. Then, you send everything 400Hz and ABOVE to the passive crossover which will then split duty to the midrange and tweeter.

Yes, you will have some overlap (did you notice crossing 450 to the woofer and 400 to the midrange?)

There is a PDF a number of comments above. Go read/print it. The PEQ's are on that PDF that you will need for the active crossover.

In the 2-way format, you won't have ANY passive crossover and the active crossover would do 100% duty for the entire speaker.

Although these are "plug & play" you will need the correct parts to plug into. Also, in the world of actives, if you get a DSP, you can add the proper signal delay which will help solidify your sound. If you get a DSP active, you will most likely need XLR (balanced) connectors to attach to it.

Again, it's all plug & play....but if you don't have the requisite parts, you will have some shopping to do.

I'm currently in process of swapping actives over to a different brand with more inputs/outputs and am going to need to find (or make since I made them myself) a couple more XLR wires to use for the center channel & sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page