Looking for better sound--New speakers? ELAC B6? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Broadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Looking for better sound--New speakers? ELAC B6?

[Edit: Through this process of trying to understand some elemental aspects of speakers, I've learned that some of the speakers that I had grown interested in are rear-ported and won't work in my situation, so I've shifted my search to front-ported and sealed speakers. Such a shame, too, because I was all set to order Philharmonic AA monitors and center channel speaker.

This new discussion begins on post #38. I am looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker, trying to keep the cost under $500, if at all possible. Attached below is a photo of our bookcases and television.]


In our 19'x13' living room, we have a Samsung PN51F5300 plasma television hooked up to a 2006 Pioneer VSX-516 7.1 receiver with a pair of Sony SS-MB350H speaker, purchased in 2005, along with Pioneer S-HF11C center speaker. We also have a pedestrian DVD player and a CD player, but those are beside the point at present.

I want to upgrade to a better-sounding system but have budget constraints (well, practically everyone does to some level). Let's just say fairly entry-level budget restraints.

I've considered that replacing our Sony speakers with a pair of ELAC B6 would make the most initial difference. I have to admit that my frugal soul likes the $90 price of the highly-rated Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers as opposed to the $270 ELAC B6, but I don't intend to upgrade the speakers again for at least another 10 years.

What do you think? New speakers for under $300 and a $400-$500 receiver later, or the reverse? We use the system mostly for viewing Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I would like to listen to more music via CD's or through our iPads or iPhones (I would need to get a Bluetooth receiver for our current Pioneer receiver).

Any insight is appreciated. I'm an older neophyte about this stuff, but I do like as good a sound as I can afford.

Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2033353  

Last edited by Broadus; 03-17-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Broadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 AM
Member
 
canyoncreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
In our 19'x13' living room, we have a Samsung PN51F5300 plasma television hooked up to a 2006 Pioneer VSX-516 7.1 receiver with a pair of Sony SS-MB350H speaker, purchased in 2005, along with Pioneer S-HF11C center speaker. We also have a pedestrian DVD player and a CD player, but those are beside the point at present.

I want to upgrade to a better-sounding system but have budget constraints (well, practically everyone does to some level). Let's just say fairly entry-level budget restraints.

I've considered that replacing our Sony speakers with a pair of ELAC B6 would make the most initial difference. I have to admit that my frugal soul likes the $90 price of the highly-rated Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers as opposed to the $270 ELAC B6, but I don't intend to upgrade the speakers again for at least another 10 years.

What do you think? New speakers for under $300 and a $400-$500 receiver later, or the reverse? We use the system mostly for viewing Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I would like to listen to more music via CD's or through our iPads or iPhones (I would need to get a Bluetooth receiver for our current Pioneer receiver).

Any insight is appreciated. I'm an older neophyte about this stuff, but I do like as good a sound as I can afford.

Thanks much.
Look at the philharmonic aa affordable accuracy monitors. In your price range.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
canyoncreek is offline  
post #3 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
vzphoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 100
New speakers will have the biggest impact on improving/changing the sound of your system ... amp/receiver not so much. The Elac's, for the price, are a very nice speaker. They may be the best in that price range, but that's a very objective opinion. I would recommend working toward getting a "one brand" set of speakers as opposed to using mixed and match brands. Things will match better and be more coherent, sound wise. If you could squeeze Elac C5 into the budget that would be a great start. Then in the future you could think about Elac's for surround and a sub.
Broadus likes this.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 03-16-2017 at 08:50 AM.
vzphoneman is offline  
 
post #4 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
The Sony Core bookshelf speakers will be a true ear awakening step above your current Sony speakers. And they are even better than the Pioneer BS-22. I cannot comment on the Elac at this time. As suggested I would also look at the Philharmonic AA speakers.

Sony Core
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...em+%28Black%29

Philharmonic AA
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
BuddTX and Broadus like this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240 -- Receiver > Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #5 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Broadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
New speakers will have the biggest impact on improving/changing the sound of your system ... amp/receiver not so much. The Elac's, for the price, are a very nice speaker. They may the best in that price range, but that's a very objective opinion. I would recommend working toward getting a "one brand" set of speakers as opposed to using mixed and match brands. Things will match better and be more coherent, sound wise. If you could squeeze Elac C5 into the budget that would be a great start. Then in the future you could think about Elac's for surround and a sub.
That makes sense; thanks. I'll look into adding the C5.
Broadus is offline  
post #6 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Member
 
dkbks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
That makes sense; thanks. I'll look into adding the C5.
The B6 has been very well reviewed even by reviewers used to much more expensive units. I use the B6 for surrounds but they would work fine up front (on stands). The recommendation for the Elac center is very good although it can be added later. The less expensive B4s or B5s can be added later as surrounds. Or later add Elac towers up front and the B6 as surrounds. Subwoofer would be needed later too although not as necessary to be Elac.
Broadus likes this.

LG 55C6P
Marantz SR5010
ELAC F5; C5; B6 Surrounds; A4 Atmos (2); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3
Oppo UDP-203; Roku Premium+; Fire TV; Adcom 535 amp; Chromecast Audio
Sonograph SG3 'table
dkbks is offline  
post #7 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post

What do you think? New speakers for under $300 and a $400-$500 receiver later, or the reverse? We use the system mostly for viewing Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I would like to listen to more music via CD's or through our iPads or iPhones (I would need to get a Bluetooth receiver for our current Pioneer receiver).

Any insight is appreciated. I'm an older neophyte about this stuff, but I do like as good a sound as I can afford.

Thanks much.
If I was starting over and had $300ish to spend, I think I'd just get a set of philharmonic AAs.

Sony Cores which someone else suggested is worth trying too... can get a set at Best Buy for like $170 -- easy returns if you don't like them. Probably simplest way to go.

Not sure if you have a sub, but Best Buy sells (or at least used to sell) a little baby-sized Yahama at <$100, that someone in these forums liked a lot for the price.

Bluetooth adapters can be had dirt cheap by the way, like $20 or so... can just hook it into your receiver. Other options are chromecast audio for like $30.

And off the speaker subject a bit, if you watch movies at all, get a bluray player for <$50 ... definitely much better than DVD.

As for Elacs, although I expect they are quite a bit better than Pioneer Ajs, I expect they still have a warm sound. Not sure if they'll be ideal for HT, at least for some people.... philharmonics or Sonys may be a safer bet without hearing the elacs first to see if you like them.
Broadus and mikeTRON250LM like this.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #8 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
Look at the philharmonic aa affordable accuracy monitors. In your price range.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Completely agree.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #9 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Completely agree.
I also agree.
Then I would spend 350 or less on a denon 1300 receiver from accessories4less. They are refurbished but come with a 1 year warranty. Then most credit cards have a policy that doubles or adds a year to a warranty so you can get a 2 yr warranty.
Broadus likes this.
mikeTRON250LM is online now  
post #10 of 244 Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Broadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
Look at the philharmonic aa affordable accuracy monitors. In your price range.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I just sent Dennis an email concerning the Philharmonic AA monitors and center speaker and cost shipped to upstate SC. Thanks to all for informing me of his work.

I may still end up with a pair of ELAC B5 or B6 and a C5 center, but I want to know more about AA before I decide.
vzphoneman and mikeTRON250LM like this.
Broadus is offline  
post #11 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I just sent Dennis an email concerning the Philharmonic AA monitors and center speaker and cost shipped to upstate SC. Thanks to all for informing me of his work.

I may still end up with a pair of ELAC B5 or B6 and a C5 center, but I want to know more about AA before I decide.
good call -- good option -- he does good work

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240 -- Receiver > Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #12 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I just sent Dennis an email concerning the Philharmonic AA monitors and center speaker and cost shipped to upstate SC. Thanks to all for informing me of his work.

I may still end up with a pair of ELAC B5 or B6 and a C5 center, but I want to know more about AA before I decide.
You said you were frugal.

For music I haven't ready of any member comparing the $100 less front three from Dennis vs the very nice Elac B6 but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they differences would be marginal and are just as likely to favor the AA Monitor as the B6.

Here is a review of the Elac B5, which has the same tweeter as the B6, notice how there is a lot of dropoff to the highs so if you like a "warmer" speaker with somewhat muted highs you might prefer them to the more accurate AA Monitor.

Dennis goes for a flat frequency response so that the speaker is as neutral as possible and the music is presented as close to what was intended as possible.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...RVgiw6Y4sE4.97

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Me, I'd go with the AA package and use the $100 to buy a small subwoofer like this, (I own two), that will get you down to 30hz.

Don't let the cheap price fool you, they are very worthy little subs and without them my $800 Martin Logan LX16 bookshelves don't sound NEARLY as good.

Will it rattle the windows and send the cats scurrying during a high volume explosion during a movie like my main subwoofer?

No.

But for music at even loud volumes the added extension provided is easily noticed and appreciated, (assuming your current receiver has an RCA sub out and internal crossover settings).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html
Broadus likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #13 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
You said you were frugal.

For music I haven't ready of any member comparing the $100 less front three from Dennis vs the very nice Elac B6 but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they differences would be marginal and are just as likely to favor the AA Monitor as the B6.

Here is a review of the Elac B5, which has the same tweeter as the B6, notice how there is a lot of dropoff to the highs so if you like a "warmer" speaker with somewhat muted highs you might prefer them to the more accurate AA Monitor.
Here is a subjective review of the Elac B5 vs the AA Monitors for music.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...monitor.97171/
Broadus, Doe Doe and mikeTRON250LM like this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240 -- Receiver > Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #14 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Here is a subjective review of the Elac B5 vs the AA Monitors for music.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...monitor.97171/
Thanks.

Wow, I really expected the results to be much closer but perhaps the drop in frequency response from Sound & Vision's graph isn't just an illusion.

Sure it is "just" a subjective review, but illuminating.

Steely Dan - I Got the News (Aja)

At this point, things are starting to get redundant. My notes say the B5’s were “closed, thin, and veiled”. The vocals were more distant and lacking high frequencies (which translated as openness). The snare and cymbals sounded dull.
Broadus likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #15 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Here is a subjective review of the Elac B5 vs the AA Monitors for music.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...monitor.97171/
Interesting... was that comparison using the older modded BS22s for the AAs or the newer models? Not that I expect there would be a ton of difference anyway.

I have a feeling the Elacs carry over some of the same flaws that the Pioneer AJs do ... Elacs I assume are better, but they may have that 'dull-ish' quality to them, which may be fine for some music, but will lack a lot of sparkle.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #16 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Interesting... was that comparison using the older modded BS22s for the AAs or the newer models? Not that I expect there would be a ton of difference anyway.
That is the current AA speakers
Doe Doe likes this.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240 -- Receiver > Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #17 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I remember reading a comparison between a bunch of budget speakers a while ago, but forgot the link... but saw it was mentioned in the comments of the review just posted:

2.0 Bookshelf Compared! Wharfedale, Philharmonic, Chane, MusicHall, Elac, Energy, Kef

It doesn't necessarily say which is better between the elacs vs aas, but lists pros and cons for each. And a ton of other speakers too.
Broadus likes this.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #18 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Broadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
You said you were frugal.

For music I haven't ready of any member comparing the $100 less front three from Dennis vs the very nice Elac B6 but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they differences would be marginal and are just as likely to favor the AA Monitor as the B6.

Here is a review of the Elac B5, which has the same tweeter as the B6, notice how there is a lot of dropoff to the highs so if you like a "warmer" speaker with somewhat muted highs you might prefer them to the more accurate AA Monitor.

Dennis goes for a flat frequency response so that the speaker is as neutral as possible and the music is presented as close to what was intended as possible.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...RVgiw6Y4sE4.97

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Me, I'd go with the AA package and use the $100 to buy a small subwoofer like this, (I own two), that will get you down to 30hz.

Don't let the cheap price fool you, they are very worthy little subs and without them my $800 Martin Logan LX16 bookshelves don't sound NEARLY as good.

Will it rattle the windows and send the cats scurrying during a high volume explosion during a movie like my main subwoofer?

No.

But for music at even loud volumes the added extension provided is easily noticed and appreciated, (assuming your current receiver has an RCA sub out and internal crossover settings).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html
Thanks, Geoff. The more I read about Dennis and the AA's (monitor and center), the more intrigued I am. I just saw the long Philharmonic thread and started reading the last few pages.

Dennis replied to my email. Two AA monitors plus the center shipped to SC will be about $65 less than a pair of ELAC B6's and a C5 and about $15 less than a pair of B5's and a C5. Given that, the issue is not price but sound, and there seem to be a lot of folk who prefer the AA's on that front.

Dennis did say that I need four inches clearance behind the monitors and clearance to one side. I need to come up with an extension to gain a couple more inches of depth behind the bookcases. The shelves are adjustable, so I can stand the AA's upright, as opposed to the taller Sony's.

BTW, I think that Dennis' AA's may be a gateway drug. I'm starting to think, "For $1225 I can buy the New Philharmonitors shipped. If the AA monitors sound this good, then what must a significant step up be?" And then I see this Philharmonic MTM Center Channel . . . . All the while my dear wife thinks that what we have is just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2032449  
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Last edited by Broadus; 03-17-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Broadus is offline  
post #19 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Thanks, Geoff. The more I read about Dennis and the AA's (monitor and center), the more intrigued I am. I just saw the long Philharmonic thread and started reading the last few pages.

Dennis replied to my email. Two AA monitors plus the center shipped to SC will be about $65 less than a pair of ELAC B6's and a C5 and about $15 less than a pair of B5's and a C5. Given that, the issue is not price but sound, and there seem to be a lot of folk who prefer the AA's on that front.

Dennis did say that I need four inches clearance behind the monitors and clearance to one side. I need to come up with an extension to gain a couple more inches of depth behind the bookcases. The shelves are adjustable, so I can stand the AA's upright, as opposed to the taller Sony's.

BTW, I think that Dennis' AA's may be a gateway drug. I'm starting to think, "For $1225 I can buy the New Philharmonitors shipped. If the AA monitors sound this good, then what must a significant step up be?" And then I see this Philharmonic MTM Center Channel . . . . All the while my dear wife thinks that what we have is just fine.
Maybe buy the Elacs at Best Buy and listen to them and see if you find the sound to be perfect for you.

If you find them to be "veiled" then simply return them and get the AAs.

Yeah, if someone stole my Usher speakers tomorrow I'd have an order in for some of his Slim Towers the following day!
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #20 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I remember reading a comparison between a bunch of budget speakers a while ago, but forgot the link... but saw it was mentioned in the comments of the review just posted:

2.0 Bookshelf Compared! Wharfedale, Philharmonic, Chane, MusicHall, Elac, Energy, Kef

It doesn't necessarily say which is better between the elacs vs aas, but lists pros and cons for each. And a ton of other speakers too.
I emailed him and he said he preferred the AAs the most in his situation. But then he bought sierra2s lol

200 to 1500.
mikeTRON250LM is online now  
post #21 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3501 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
I emailed him and he said he preferred the AAs the most in his situation. But then he bought sierra2s lol

200 to 1500.
Ha ha ha.

Sucked in by the vortex.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #22 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
In our 19'x13' living room, we have a Samsung PN51F5300 plasma television hooked up to a 2006 Pioneer VSX-516 7.1 receiver with a pair of Sony SS-MB350H speaker, purchased in 2005, along with Pioneer S-HF11C center speaker. We also have a pedestrian DVD player and a CD player, but those are beside the point at present.

I want to upgrade to a better-sounding system but have budget constraints (well, practically everyone does to some level). Let's just say fairly entry-level budget restraints.

I've considered that replacing our Sony speakers with a pair of ELAC B6 would make the most initial difference. I have to admit that my frugal soul likes the $90 price of the highly-rated Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers as opposed to the $270 ELAC B6, but I don't intend to upgrade the speakers again for at least another 10 years.

What do you think? New speakers for under $300 and a $400-$500 receiver later, or the reverse? We use the system mostly for viewing Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I would like to listen to more music via CD's or through our iPads or iPhones (I would need to get a Bluetooth receiver for our current Pioneer receiver).

Any insight is appreciated. I'm an older neophyte about this stuff, but I do like as good a sound as I can afford.

Thanks much.
Your best bet if possible is to check some local audio video stores and see if you can audition some speakers FIRST. What you like in a speaker sound wise is subjective, what i may like you think sounds like garbage and vise versa, if you want proof just do a search on Klipsch here on AVS LMAO. Then once you have a speaker brand or 2 that you like the sound of find out some alternatives that have a similar sound and work from there. Also while your looking pay attention to the speaker sensitivity as well, higher sensitivity speakers will allow you to play louder with less power (watts) going to them, and at the same time maybe get more time out of your current AVR before you feel the need to replace it.
Broadus likes this.
liffie420 is offline  
post #23 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Broadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Your best bet if possible is to check some local audio video stores and see if you can audition some speakers FIRST. What you like in a speaker sound wise is subjective, what i may like you think sounds like garbage and vise versa, if you want proof just do a search on Klipsch here on AVS LMAO. Then once you have a speaker brand or 2 that you like the sound of find out some alternatives that have a similar sound and work from there. Also while your looking pay attention to the speaker sensitivity as well, higher sensitivity speakers will allow you to play louder with less power (watts) going to them, and at the same time maybe get more time out of your current AVR before you feel the need to replace it.
I'm sure you're right. I'm about 45 minutes from a town of any consequence with stores that carry a decent line of speakers, but it does sound like a fun day trip.

Neither my wife nor I care for loud volume with our music. Does that affect sound perception? Does louder volume increase sound variations among different brands/models of speakers?
Broadus is offline  
post #24 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Another option is Crutchfield.
I believe you pay $10 a pair to ship them back if you dont want them.
Confirm to be sure, but I was about to order about 10 pairs to try before I found a used pair I wanted instead.

Towers are more to ship, so they wanted 10 or 15 for bookshelf pairs.
Broadus likes this.
mikeTRON250LM is online now  
post #25 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I'm sure you're right. I'm about 45 minutes from a town of any consequence with stores that carry a decent line of speakers, but it does sound like a fun day trip.

Neither my wife nor I care for loud volume with our music. Does that affect sound perception? Does louder volume increase sound variations among different brands/models of speakers?
Well playing a speaker too loud can lead to distortion. But my point was that with a high sensitivity speaker you can get more life from your current AVR and by the same token you could get by with an AVR with less "power" thereby saving money. For instance I have a set of 5.1 speakers with a sensitivity of 85db/meter that means they can generate 85db of sound from 1 watt of power at 1 meter away, roughly (there are many factors but for simplicity sake). So for me when I watch tv my volume setting on my AVR is say -20db, its set to a relative scale something like -85db = mute and +20db meaning I am maxing out the power on my AVR. So if I went to a new set of speakers that have a sensitivity of 99db I can turn my volume down on my AVR by 14db to say -34db, again roughly, and the audio will still sound just as loud to me, but I am using less power to get there causing less stress to my AVR. It allows you to get more perceived "loundness" from less power which means you could use a less expensive AVR without having to work it too hard to get the volume you want out of your listening. I hope I am not being to confusing.

Considering your location with no towns close by you I would take other posters recommendations on speakers. But it is nice if the option is available to be able to hear some speakers yourself and determine what kind of sound you like.
Broadus likes this.
liffie420 is offline  
post #26 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
Another option is Crutchfield.
I believe you pay $10 a pair to ship them back if you dont want them.
Confirm to be sure, but I was about to order about 10 pairs to try before I found a used pair I wanted instead.

Towers are more to ship, so they wanted 10 or 15 for bookshelf pairs.
I was also told that amazon prime people can ship back free... although I wouldn't go crazy with returns with them, or they may just cancel your acct. Probably better to find something 'wrong' with the speakers if doing returns with amazon.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #27 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I was also told that amazon prime people can ship back free... although I wouldn't go crazy with returns with them, or they may just cancel your acct. Probably better to find something 'wrong' with the speakers if doing returns with amazon.
I have prime and I am charged to ship things back unless there is a problem with them.
zieglj01 likes this.
mikeTRON250LM is online now  
post #28 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
I have prime and I am charged to ship things back unless there is a problem with them.
It was probably about a year ago that I asked a rep about returns in case I didn't like something, and at the time I was told since I was prime that I could get free returns, even if the item wasn't damaged.

Not sure if they changed their policy since then or if the rep was wrong. Or if you were charged and you really shouldn't have been.

Something to doublecheck on regardless if anyone wants to get speakers from amazon and possibly return ... chat and if rep says you get free returns, you have it in writing in case there is a problem later.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #29 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
I have prime and I am charged to ship things back unless there is a problem with them.
Also, the same for me.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers -- Snell K7 > Digital Phase AP-.5 > Harman Kardon Ten > Boston VS240 -- Receiver > Integra 50.2
zieglj01 is offline  
post #30 of 244 Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Broadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Well playing a speaker too loud can lead to distortion. But my point was that with a high sensitivity speaker you can get more life from your current AVR and by the same token you could get by with an AVR with less "power" thereby saving money. For instance I have a set of 5.1 speakers with a sensitivity of 85db/meter that means they can generate 85db of sound from 1 watt of power at 1 meter away, roughly (there are many factors but for simplicity sake). So for me when I watch tv my volume setting on my AVR is say -20db, its set to a relative scale something like -85db = mute and +20db meaning I am maxing out the power on my AVR. So if I went to a new set of speakers that have a sensitivity of 99db I can turn my volume down on my AVR by 14db to say -34db, again roughly, and the audio will still sound just as loud to me, but I am using less power to get there causing less stress to my AVR. It allows you to get more perceived "loundness" from less power which means you could use a less expensive AVR without having to work it too hard to get the volume you want out of your listening. I hope I am not being to confusing.
Thanks. I want to have as full a sound as possible using as little volume as possible, my ears being sensitive to high volume, and if I understand you correctly, listening volume and power necessary to produce a certain amount of volume are different issues. I have probably confused the two.

Looking at the Philharmonic AA monitors, they are spec'd at 84.5 dB at 1 meter. Do I understand correctly that I will have to run my AVR volume higher and thereby decrease its life? Is that simply the way of budget speakers? (or are my questions indicating that I don't have the foggiest what you mean?)
Broadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off